Brian Kelly to L$U

Fug

3 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Apparently every quasi-blue blood can do the money whip except the blue blood that makes the most money.   It’s infuriating.  

We don't want to make other schools feel like lessers. We also don't want to raise the going rate for everyone else. We just settle for "bargains" that end up costing us millions more over time. We're so kind. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

Against 3-8 Navy, 6-6 Virginia, 3-9 GT, and 3-9 Stanford. They played arguably the weakest of the current playoff top 4 and lost already. Their completely new offense didn’t give up 38 to that dumpster fire FSU team. Their best win is Wisconsin, which also got hammered by Michigan. I know there’s no transitive property in football but fuck man, they don’t have a resume that screams playoffs. 

So you're holding a game against them that was 3 months ago because they played a bad FSU team to a close game but not giving them credit for more recent blowouts over bad teams? Help me understand that logic. 

Who should be in over them? 2 loss Oregon that got smacked by Utah? Ohio State that got smacked by that Oregon team? There just aren't a lot of impressive P5 teams this year. Cincy is pretty likely better than anyone Okie Lite, Bama or Georgia has beaten so far. That isn't much of a blemish on ND's resume. 

As of now ND isn't in the playoff but I'm not sure why they wouldn't have a case over a bunch of 2 loss P5 teams that either didn't win or play for their conference title. 

At some point you have to give teams credit for actually winning games. Especially when there are results that you can hold against basically everyone but Georgia.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

We don't want to make other schools feel like lessers. We also don't want to raise the going rate for everyone else. We just settle for "bargains" that end up costing us millions more over time. We're so kind. 

yeah but remember that one time when we bought the shoebox of baseball cards at the garage sale and a '52 Mantle popped out?

we have our number - been 5Mish for a while.  we see who takes it. Sark was the first one that said yes and Saban seal of approval made him the guy to get the first shot after Urban.   I'm sure we offered Urban more but I'm also sure it wasn't 10M.  We don't roll like that and never will.  kind of like Mack's Limited Offer plan with scholarships.

I'm not complaining about the money we offer.  none of it is mine.  I just think we need to cycle faster to hit the '52 Mantle when it is obvious our shoebox is full of 88-92 Junk Wax Era.

I hate all thingsND Irish!  BK is a Weyl faced fat fuck who is going to blow up to Mangino standards eating cajin food and French sauce!  3 years he is going to need to use the shower and towels to wipe his ass after taking his morning shit.

I will look forward to playing my Horns against him!🤘. Avoid the showers!

46 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

I don't buy this for a second. 

Texas money whips other coaches in every other sport. Again, the issue is the wrong people are involved in the hiring process for football. 

1 minute ago, texasstrong12 said:

Texas money whips other coaches in every other sport. Again, the issue is the wrong people are involved in the hiring process for football. 

when your goal is directors cups money whipping a softball or track coach is chump change in the big picture.

at least Sark's contract looks correct from an ROI standpoint as it relates to the rest of the market now.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, dcar00 said:

when your goal is directors cups money whipping a softball or track coach is chump change in the big picture.

at least Sark's contract looks correct from an ROI standpoint as it relates to the rest of the market now.

It's chump change but Texas shows the desire to money whip coaches in other sports. 

The idea Texas wouldn't money whip a coach in football is nonsensical to me when they've done it in other sports. Texas isn't cheap. They just have idiots making the football hire. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Successful football coaches tend to be control freaks. This may be the worst place for a control freak coach. 

Need to hire the coach then go hands off and let him run his ship and keep out big money assholes as he sees fit. If it doesn't work after 5 years get another one until it does. 

44 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Yet it's the sort of stupid shit we hear when we're supposedly on the cusp of hiring Nick Saban or Urban Meyer and end up with Charlie Strong or Steve Sarkisian. Someone is full of shit.

5 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Successful football coaches tend to be control freaks. This may be the worst place for a control freak coach. 

Need to hire the coach then go hands off and let him run his ship and keep out big money assholes as he sees fit. If it doesn't work after 5 years get another one until it does. 

I don't think most people appreciate that Mal Moore got Nick Saban out of Miami  because he gave him an iron clad guarantee of no booster interference.

It's also why the "hurr durr Mack spoiled the Saban move guys are so far off base. Texas booster involvement is the reason Saban said no thanks.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, G650 said:

I don't think most people appreciate that Mal Moore got Nick Saban out of Miami  because he gave him an iron clad guarantee of no booster interference.

It's also why the "hurr durr Mack spoiled the Saban move guys are so far off base. Texas booster involvement is the reason Saban said no thanks.

Bullshit. All this mythical booster involvement, yet the only person who has ever talked about it is MACK BROWN-- you know, the guy who invited the boosters in and then hid behind them when his firing was imminent.

Edited by Tex Pete
  • Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Yet it's the sort of stupid shit we hear when we're supposedly on the cusp of hiring Nick Saban or Urban Meyer and end up with Charlie Strong or Steve Sarkisian. Someone is full of shit.

Texas didn't miss on either of those coaches because they were unwilling to spend money. They were apparently offering a massive contract for Urban. 

15 minutes ago, westexhorn said:

FFeSYxmWYAMevfl?format=jpg&name=large

interesting shoes, must be comfy as hell

1137244095_grandpashoe.JPG.a110759e1650a9601147ef1504f16716.JPG

Just did Google search, couldn't find anything close to it.  There are plenty with the tan leather/white sole combo, but nothing with the styling on it.  C'mon Surly, surely someone can find those.

4 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Bullshit. All this mythical booster involvement, yet the only person who has ever talked about it is MACK BROWN-- you know, the guy who invited the boosters in and then hid behind them when his firing was imminent.

Oh Texas, never change...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Yep the boosters ain’t the issue. Here’s the four missed that we’re whining about:

1. Saban - thanks mack

2. urban- wanted to coach in nfl. Didn’t want to coach in sec or deal with portal

3. Lincoln- total dirtbag but would never coach here just like Saban wouldn’t leave bama for auburn or harbaugh to tosu

4.  Brian kelly- wanted to break the bad win record and probably too big of a jerk for us

that doesn’t mean sark is the right guy

I dont understand this view that Brian Kelly is a bad hire. LSU won 2 national championships with a barely literate ogre and a guy whose idea of good offense was running dive tosses 30 times a game despite fielding a WRing core of Odell Beckham, Jarvis Landry, & Reuben Randle.  They literally fall ass backwards into national championships with imbeciles leading the way.  LSU is the only power 5 school in a state with more talent per capita than any state in the union. Kelly not only sends quality Olineman to the league more consistently than any coach in college even though that position group is the most difficult to evaluate, he wins everywhere he's been and has been to 2 playoffs and a national championship without ever having a difference making QB.  I was really hoping LSU would fuck up this hire but they actually hired a high quality head coach.

And beyond that, let me let my melanin deficient brothas in on a little secret about how LSU is viewed regionally within the African-American community. It carries a panache similar to how Miami was viewed back in the 80s. It's the only PWI that sort of has an HBCU vibe and atmosphere at their football games which is attractive and familiar to young black men. And dont even get me started with how wide eyed and tongue wagging these young men get when they visit southern Louisiana and come across the sea of creole women they'll suddenly be introduced to south of I-10. There's a reason why LSU can win national titles despite being led by sheer incompetence since Saban left. Brian Kelly showing up there is clearly not a good thing for us.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, nnm said:

1137244095_grandpashoe.JPG.a110759e1650a9601147ef1504f16716.JPG

Just did Google search, couldn't find anything close to it.  There are plenty with the tan leather/white sole combo, but nothing with the styling on it.  C'mon Surly, surely someone can find those.

I couldn't find those exact ones, but I think I found the fall collection:

Preview%20Image.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, TXSG8R said:

Outside of his name, what about Cristobal screams Cuban? And what is Oregon’s culture outside of Nike money and a million uniform combinations? I guess I don’t see where there’s any real cultural conflict there.  I agree that winning covers up any problems, but the second he isn’t winning is when that shit gets amplified. 

Oregon is very, very white.  Super white.  It's arguably one of the whitest states in the country, due in no small part to a series of racial exclusion laws that were still technically on the books up until 1926.  There were virtually no minorities of any sort living here before WWII.  Many Oregon towns had a reputation of being sundown towns up until the 1960s or so.  I have actually talked to people who grew up in rural Oregon and had never met a black person until they visited Portland.  When they filed Animal House in Eugene in the 1970s, the black actors reportedly had to be bussed in under armed guard from Portland, as it was not safe for them to stay in Eugene back then.  Eugene has changed quite a bit since then, but a lot of the more outlying parts of Oregon haven't.

That said, I don't think Cristobal's heritage is all that much of an issue here.  But I have heard no shortage of racist comments in general here, once you get out away from the comfy confines of metro Portland and Eugene.  Culture in Oregon outside of Portland and Eugene?  There is none.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

Yep the boosters ain’t the issue. Here’s the four missed that we’re whining about:

1. Saban - thanks mack

2. urban- wanted to coach in nfl. Didn’t want to coach in sec or deal with portal

3. Lincoln- total dirtbag but would never coach here just like Saban wouldn’t leave bama for auburn or harbaugh to tosu

4.  Brian kelly- wanted to break the bad win record and probably too big of a jerk for us

that doesn’t mean sark is the right guy

BS.  If Saban didn't come here because of Mack, it was because Mack told him what it was like dealing with boosters here.

I'm guessing Saban was perfectly comfortable using UT to get a raise at Alabama.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

ND is an Adidas school so i'd bet its a custom pair or SAS has a new line.  

I had an uncle who was former Air Force mechanic, high school education, farmer, and sold seed. (Sell seeds to farmers is a steady income, because it doesn’t matter how the crop turns out, you’ve made your money already.)

Anyway, this uncle loved him som SAS shoes. His eyes went wide when he found a SAS outlet somewhere between his Missouri farm and our Dallas home. 

SAS shoes ain’t nothing to sneeze at.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, bullet said:

BS.  If Saban didn't come here because of Mack, it was because Mack told him what it was like dealing with boosters here.

I'm guessing Saban was perfectly comfortable using UT to get a raise at Alabama.

Like me, you’re a random anonymous poster on a message board.  Tom hicks was a bmd who is willing to provide details and put his name next to it   Now Tom could be making it up to impress a  random journalist but I have no reason to think he’s lying 

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/alabama-football/nick-saban-mack-brown-tom-hicks-texas-regent/amp/