Texas Recruiting Notes 2025: Now We Have a Machine Gun

texifornia

8 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I probably missed those - their system is kind of messed up. We'll get 6 WR, though - 2 in-state highly ranked guys if Michael Terry is a WR instead of RB. Unfortunately, no DBs or TEs unless the Georgia guy sticks. and 1 OL in the Top 50 in the state (at #50).

0 DBs or TEs, 6 WRs, 1 edge, 0 OTs. Makes sense.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

IT: Power rankings: Where Texas sits with each position within the 2025 cycle

Reveal hidden contents

Quarterback 

As far as I can tell KJ Lacey was Texas’ top uncommitted quarterback prospect. Landing him early and holding on to him despite spirited pushes from Auburn, Alabama, and Ole Miss has been one of the quieter plusses of the young cycle.

Running Back

Tashard Choice shuffled his big board last year to pursue Christian Clark in addition to his original No. 1 Jerrick Gibson. He’s done the same this cycle to go after Chapel Hill runner Rickey Stewart. 

Choice is in great shape in this cycle and already in great shape in 2026. 

Linebacker

Johnny Nansen inherited upside athlete Anthony Williams in the class in addition to having good timing with in-state talent. Texas is in very good position to land both Elijah Barnes and Riley Pettijohn from DFW. There are also a handful of solid secondary options in the state, including Jonathan Cunningham and Javar Thomas. 

Where it could get interesting is with out-of-state recruiting. There are a lot of options from California to Florida to explore. It’s a good cycle in general at linebacker. 

Edge

Having Lance Jackson in the class has positive effects beyond the obvious. It allows Pete Kwiatkowski to remain patient and recruit nationally. That means new names will pop up, like Damien Shanklin from Indianapolis. Shanklin will take an official visit in June. Another new name, Isaiah Gibson from Georgia, popped up yesterday for Texas. It doesn’t matter all that much that Shanklin will probably end up at Notre Dame and Gibson at Georgia because PK is playing with house money at this time.

PK and Nansen have a shot to land Marco Jones from the Bay Area. 

Inside Texas does not expect Kamauryn Morgan to end up in the Texas class, at least not at this time. That one turned on a dime.

It’s pretty interesting that Smith Orogbo isn’t hearing much from Texas. Chad Woodfork, who is sort of similar to Orogbo, is down to Texas and Texas Tech and could decide in March.

Wide Receiver 

Chris Jackson and Steve Sarkisian have pretty clear tiers they’re working on. How soon will they push all in for a Tier 2 receiver? That will be something to watch for in June.

For now, the staff is content to recruit elite prospects like Dakorien Moore, Andrew Marsh, Marcus Harris, Caleb Cunningham, Jaime Ffrench, and Quincey Porter. 

If they land any two from Tier 1 the class is a success. With most of these guys visiting this Spring the staff should get some clarity on where it stands with each.

(It’s also possible they have more players in Tier 1 than what’s listed)

Tight End

Emaree Winston is already committed and IT believes UT is the favorite for Nick Townsend. Of the players Texas is in good shape for, Kiotti Armstrong should be the biggest dogfight due to Texas A&M. 

Defensive Back

IT believes Texas will win out for Cobey Sellers and remain in it for Dorian Brew until the end. Sellers remains a Red River Shootout while Brew will likely end up at Texas, LSU, Ohio State, or maybe USC. Another corner to watch is Caleb Chester who may profile pretty well to Texas.

I see Courtland Guillory as more of a safety prospect longterm, but that’s not a bad thing. Texas is in good shape there but OU is pushing as well.

I’m a big fan of the Kade Phillips offer that went out last week. Texas almost overplayed its hand by waiting but the offer didn’t happen too late. Despite having a brother at A&M, Texas is in good shape, assuming Blake Gideon‘s foot is on the gas from here on out. Given his recent track exploits, a sub-21.88 200 meters and an over 24-7 long jump, that should be a safe assumption.

Defensive Tackle

There’s definitely some consternation in the fan base at defensive tackle but Kenny Baker caught a similar break to Nansen with there being plenty of quality instate options. I think he also caught a break with Zion Williams seeming to profile to UT. I remain baffled by Williams’ low ranking but that’s the guy I want most and I believe Texas feels the same given Baker’s level of contact. 

Texas is also in good shape for Dilan Battle and Floyd Guidry.

In the coming weeks we should learn whether or not the staff can hold on to Brandon Brown‘s commitment. This will be a crucial stretch in that regard. 

I think Baker and Texas are in fine shape at the position but the amount of competition for big players is fierce and Baker’s mettle is going to be tested this cycle. I think he will benefit from the logo and all that comes with it. Though, we’re probably do a reminder that it’s difficult to come into a cycle “late” and pick up where the last guy left off, especially when the last guy went to a regional recruiting rival. 

I’m not worried. I think Texas understands it has to treat defensive tackles like they’re portal players because it’s very difficult to supplement your roster with DT talent through the portal. The time to get them is now, it’s not later. You have to nail your evaluations then land them at all costs.

Offensive Line

Kyle Flood has a very healthy big board, however, his positioning with the OT’s is a bit precarious at this time. Texas needs to separate from OU and Missouri for Michael Fasusi and OU and A&M for Jonte Newman (and possibly Ole Miss). Jackson Christian is another battle with A&M.

Official visits will tell a lot of the story. Newman and Christian have officials to Texas already set up. That’s a decently positive sign.

I do like where Flood is at for John Mills from San Francisco and Tyler Thomas from the other Bay Area. 

The recent Devin Coleman offer caught my attention. He, of course, is the brother of massive Jordan Coleman who was offered last Fall. If Texas pushes for both then numbers at O-line get a lot easier.

What happened in the Morgan recruitment?  Can't remember which $9.95er just said it, but we were supposedly in a real good spot.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Also, Terry is viewed as a stretch TE or Edge/OLB type. 

He’s not playing defense in college. Took him forever to give up on trying to be the starting QB there but he’s flourished in his offensive/kick returner jacknife role. He’s a big WR/TE all the way.

51 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Rivals updated rankings.  

Just a few noteworthy things:  Stewart debuts in the 250, Rivals loves KJ and Rink, and DJ Sanders dropped nearly 100 spots.

https://n.rivals.com/prospect_rankings/rivals250/2025?position=ALL POSITIONS

LOL you know old boy was saying he was THE must get recruit.. and he dropped 100 spots.. yikes

1 hour ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Wait yall don’t eat cereal for dinner?

I noticed Jerry Seinfeld seemed to consume a lot of cereal for any meal. I tried that and it's not too bad. Sweet, healthy, etc. But give me a steak and baked potato for supper any fucking day of the week pleas

40 minutes ago, mr. sunshine said:

I noticed Jerry Seinfeld seemed to consume a lot of cereal for any meal. I tried that and it's not too bad. Sweet, healthy, etc. But give me a steak and baked potato for supper any fucking day of the week pleas

I eat Corn or Rice Chex for snacks a lot. They are gluten-free and while I'm not sure if celiac disease is a problem, I wouldn't doubt it.

7 hours ago, Leanderman said:

This early in the game ranking do not really mean that much. I swear the experts use a dartboard and try to fleece folks early for their 9.95.

This. Remember when Colin Simmons was ranked #2, and then magically at the end he slipped 26 spots to land at...28? People who do these rankings are soft-brained morons.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

Via Suchomel

I exchanged some messages with Cy-Fair defensive tackle Landon Rink today asking if he had any plans to visit Texas this spring. His response ...

"I will not be going there as of right now because they are not one of my top schools currently."

Rink said he'll let me know if anything changes so the door isn't completely shut, but this one is obviously trending away from UT.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

11 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Via Suchomel

I exchanged some messages with Cy-Fair defensive tackle Landon Rink today asking if he had any plans to visit Texas this spring. His response ...

"I will not be going there as of right now because they are not one of my top schools currently."

Rink said he'll let me know if anything changes so the door isn't completely shut, but this one is obviously trending away from UT.

Good. I couldn't figure out why Texas was acting as interested as they were for awhile. 

• Hook 'Em 7

18 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I appreciate the effort, but there are some whiffs here.

-Texas isn't taking 5 HS WRs. 

-Fasusi should be on the list. 

-Assume 4 OLs this cycle.

-There could be 10+ OOS recruits in this cycle.

I assume the breakdown for Texas will go:

-25 signees

-1 QB - Lacey

-2 TB - Stewart, maybe Davison (his NIL wants at this point are allegedly absurd), but for sure someone

-3 WR - Lockett, Johnson, Ffrench/Moore/Harris

-2 TE - Winston, Armstrong

-2 OT - Fasusi, Newman

-2 IOL - Thomas, Mills/Langi

-3 DT - Brown, Sharma/Guidry, Williams

-2 DE - Woodfork/Morgan, Jackson

-3 LB - Williams, Pettijohn, Barnes

-2 CB - Brew, Sellers

-1 S - Delane

-2 ATH - Terry, Curry

I assume that is easily a top 5 class. Obviously a whole bunch of shit will change and half these guys won't matter by signing day, but that's my list in Feb 24.

I thought John Mills was an OT? He certainly has tackle feet as he is a pretty athletic dude at that size. 

Edited by Vertigo

2 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Via Suchomel

Texas wants more length and size.  Two things Rink lacks.  We are not a top school because we are not recruiting him very hard.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, victory88 said:

Texas wants more length and size.  Two things Rink lacks.  We are not a top school because we are not recruiting him very hard.

Wasn’t there talk recently of a kid who tried to commit and the staff told him to slow down?

Could easily see that being Rink, and now he’s a little butthurt about being rebuffed.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Mills Rivals ranking is a joke.  They have him rated at 5.5, which is the lowest 3* rating they give out.

As a prospect, I like him better than some of the guys we have on campus now. He needs some technique work with his upper body, but he is a powerful kid with good feet and hips and agility for his size. If he played with better pad level, he would have absolutely stolen a kids soul a la Kelvin Banks in one of his hudl highlights. 

Edited by Vertigo

42 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Mills Rivals ranking is a joke.  They have him rated at 5.5, which is the lowest 3* rating they give out.

Very good feet. Does a lot of stupid shit that is easy to correct. He is definitely a starter in D1 so 3* doesn't make much sense.

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/16437037/655ced988cde9a04e833127d

14 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Lockett is now a composite 5* WR.  Wouldn't think we'd lose a 5* WR to the Elk/aggy, but who knows, we've seen it before.

AFAIK, no one has stopped the Colin Klein offense since it has been a part of the Elk Regime.

• Haha 5

6 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

This post reminded me how much I despise learning kids names every single cycle

Man, that's the best part.

It gives it more meaning when you see guys like Ennis Rakestraw have success or those like Tunmise Adeyele find an orange jumpsuit.

Edited by Atticus
  • Hook 'Em 1

Official Visitors List so far, per OTF https://ontexasfootball.com/news/updated-june-official-visitors-list-r318/

Spoiler

June 7-9

Courtland Guillory, DB/S, Houston (Texas) Klein Oak
OnTexasFootball ranking: 3-star
Spring unofficial visits: Texas March 23, Texas A&M April 6

June 10-12

Brandon Brown, DL, Melbourne (Fla.) Eau Gallie
OnTexasFootball ranking: 4-star
Official visit schedule: Tennessee June 7-9, Texas June 10-12, USC June 21-23

June 14-16

Rickey Stewart, RB, Tyler (Texas) Chapel Hill
Spring unofficial visit: Texas April 6

Kelshaun Johnson, WR, Hitchcock (Texas) High
Official visit schedule: Penn State May 31-June 2, Texas Tech June 7-9, Texas June 14-16, USC June 21-23

John Mills, IOL, San Francisco (Calif.) St. Ignatius 

Jonte Newman, OT, Cypress (Texas) Bridgeland

Riley Pettijohn, LB, McKinney (Texas) High
Official visit schedule: Texas June 14-16, USC June 21-23

June 21-23

Marcus Harris, WR, Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei
Note: Will also attend the Texas spring game April 20.

Emaree Winston, TE, Calhoun (Ga.) High #AllGasNoBrakes

Jackson Christian, IOL, Port Niches (Texas) Port Neches-Groves
Official visit schedule: Texas A&M June 14-16, Texas June 21-23

Tyler Thomas, IOL, Dickinson (Texas) High
Spring unofficial visits: LSU March 9, Texas A&M March 30, Texas April 6

Damien Shanklin, EDGE, Indianapolis (In.) Warren Central
Official visit schedule: Notre Dame June 7-9, Tennessee June 14-16, Texas June 21-23

Kade Phillips, DB, Missouri City (Texas) Hightower

• Hook 'Em 3

17 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Honestly, if Stewart is the only RB take this class it wouldn't be the worst thing.  We just took two, and probably take two next class in Guillory and Ball.

Agreed. We need to let some of the guys we have already matriculate through the system and we can better utilize that scholarship.