Texas Recruiting Notes 2025: Now We Have a Machine Gun

texifornia

Based on the numerous videos Gerry does, seems like the WR priorities are Lockett, Moore, Johnson, and Ffrench.  Everyone else seems to be plan B.   We seem to be a in a good spot for Lockett and Johnson.  Let’s see about the other two.  I imagine those will be big time NIL recruitments till signing day like Ryan Wingo.

12 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Based on the numerous videos Gerry does, seems like the WR priorities are Lockett, Moore, Johnson, and Ffrench.  Everyone else seems to be plan B.   We seem to be a in a good spot for Lockett and Johnson.  Let’s see about the other two.  I imagine those will be big time NIL recruitments till signing day like Ryan Wingo.

ctj, isn’t every player in the Top 100 in the country an NIL recruitment? It seems that even if the dream school offers, it still comes down to money and the perceived ability to get the player into the NFL.

32 minutes ago, CashMcCoy said:

Anyone got this? Glad I’m not the one handling the ‘25 WR board. Should be a hell of a class no matter who they end up with.

OV schedule

May 31 weekend - Ohio State
June 7 weekend - USC
June 14 weekend - Texas
June 21 weekend FSU

• Hook 'Em 4

I must be the only obsessed recruitnik who looks at Lockett's HUDL video and just don't think he's ALL THAT.  He seems to have good hands and good body control but it feels like he could be more elusive and should be faster for his size.  He's supposedly a 5-star but he doesn't appear to be close to Wingo's level from last year, nor does he appear to be any better than about 10 other receivers we're after.

Don't hear much in regards to Haywood and Rogers, but they keep popping up on campus.  Be interesting to see if Flood makes a big push for either one.  Only took one Tackle last class and Goosby may end up being the only Tackle in the class before.  I know Gerry has said the staff is all in on John Turentine in the 26' class at OT.

• Hook 'Em 1

Don't hear much in regards to Haywood and Rogers, but they keep popping up on campus.  Be interesting to see if Flood makes a big push for either one.  Only took one Tackle last class and Goosby may end up being the only Tackle in the class before.  I know Gerry has said the staff is all in on John Turentine in the 26' class at OT.
They also like how Chatman is coming along as well at tackle. At some point the jumbo TE (tackle) we been using will want to be playing at OL and not TE. His name escapes me at the moment.
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Mother mopar said:
18 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:
I haven't heard much about him but I know he lost a ton of weight. I'm curious if they don't prefer him at an in-line TE position. I think he got some play there.

Could be, but there's gonna be some OL attrition for sure in the spring.

I really hope that Neto and Cam have locked down their positions at the end of spring practice. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

I must be the only obsessed recruitnik who looks at Lockett's HUDL video and just don't think he's ALL THAT.  He seems to have good hands and good body control but it feels like he could be more elusive and should be faster for his size.  He's supposedly a 5-star but he doesn't appear to be close to Wingo's level from last year, nor does he appear to be any better than about 10 other receivers we're after.

If you came away unimpressed then you dont know what you're looking at.

• Hook 'Em 2

15 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

If you think I said I came away unimpressed you need to brush up on your reading comprehension.

You said you dont think he's all that. You're whole statement screams unimpressed. You dont know what you're looking at.

Edited by bwub60
  • Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, BornAndRaised said:

I haven't heard much about him but I know he lost a ton of weight. I'm curious if they don't prefer him at an in-line TE position. I think he got some play there.

Agbo is down to 280, I have heard Bobby and Gerry postulate that his future may in fact be at an in line blocking TE due to his great feet. 

Stampede: Recruiting buzz from Under Armour Dallas

ARLINGTON, Texas — Sunday’s Under Armour Next Camp in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex featured dozens upon dozens of top high school football prospects showcasing their combine testing athleticism and on-field skill throughout the day. Horns247’s Hank South and Jordan Scruggs were on-site at Arlington Martin High School gathering intel on the Texas recruiting trail as we bring you quick hitters on a bevy of Texas targets that were in attendance. 

Keelon Russell, QB, Duncanville — SMU commit 

The SMU pledge put his arm talent on display on Sunday, earning top performer status and reflecting why 247Sports placed him among the Top100 recruits in the country. Russell has been talking to Texas in recent weeks, and plans to get down to Austin for the spring game on April 20. He does not have an offer at this point in time. A number of programs are still pursuing Russell who rattled off over half a dozen Power Five schools trying to change his mind. He says he wants to explore all of his options, despite his SMU pledge. And if you’re asking why would UT be recruiting another quarterback in 2025 with KJ Lacey already committed, it’s likely due to the fact that while Lacey is solid with UT, he hasn’t shut his own recruitment down, and is taking visits to places like Auburn, Alabama, and Ole Miss. In a class that QB is a need, Texas has to cover its bases. And I wouldn’t rule out the idea that Texas tries to take two quarterbacks in 2025 considering the program will be down to just a pair of scholarship signal callers after this fall. Russell is not deterred by the idea of coming to Texas with Lacey and loves the idea of competing with the longtime Texas pledge. Of course, he has to be offered for any of this to happen. We’ll keep an eye on the Top100 passer as time goes on. — South

Dakorien Moore, WR, Duncanville — LSU commit 

The No. 1 wide receiver already held an invitation to the Under Armour All-America Game but decided to workout a little bit anyway. Texas is still heavily involved for the Bayou Bengals commit. Moore plans to be in Austin on April 20 for the spring game. He will officially visit Texas as well in the summer. He enjoyed seeing Xavier Worthy break the NFL Combine record in the 40-yard dash and says he’s been following Worthy since he came to Texas. Moore says Texas has “always been home” with his family rooting for the Longhorns growing up. He was in Baton Rouge this past weekend and the Tigers are still in control of his pledge, but Texas and Oregon are two schools that are keeping this one very interesting. Expect Moore to have a final decision made up before his senior season. — South

Daylan McCutcheon, WR, Lovejoy 

The Lovejoy standout says he’s talking with UT wide receivers coach Chris Jackson every other day. McCutcheon has official visits set to Ohio State at the end of May, USC June 7-9, Texas June 14-16, and then Florida State June 21-23. That group makes up McCutcheon’s top four at this point in time. One thing Texas doesn’t have a lack of in 2025 is wide receiver targets, so it will be interesting to see if Texas presses here on the upcoming visit. The Longhorns would likely have the inside track with a push. FSU is working hard to get him out of the Lone Star State. — South

Taz Williams, WR, Red Oak

Michigan, Texas A&M, and USC were the schools listed by Red Oak three-star wide receiver Taz Williams as current standouts. As his recruitment has gone a long, Williams has become one of the highest profile prospects as he boasts 54 total offers but in talking with him yesterday it appeared very clear that Texas had started to narrow focus elsewhere and that the communication level between both parties wasn’t what it once was. The Longhorns are in the mix to sign one of the best receiver hauls in the nation once again, and after signing four high school wideouts in 2024, Texas has the options to be more specific when deciding who to push for. Also of note, Williams told me his unofficial visit that was set for the Texas spring game on Apr. 20 is now up in the air as it’s undecided if he’ll make the trip to Austin that day. — Scruggs

Ethan "Boobie" Feaster, WR, DeSoto 2027

Another way-too-early recruitment to try and call, Feaster arrived at Under Armour wearing a Texas backpack, an Oregon shirt and Oregon slides. The DeSoto standout will have his choice of where he wants to play college football when it comes time. Talking to the rising sophomore, it’s clear that Texas is in very good standing with Feaster. He mentioned he loves the program a couple of times through our conversation. He plans to visit Texas, LSU, Texas A&M, USC, Georgia Tech and maybe Oregon this spring. He plans to put out a top 10 at the beginning of his sophomore season. You can bet Texas is closer to one than it is 10. — South

Zach Turner, TE, Duncanville, 2026

It’s still pretty early in the recruiting process for Duncanville 2026 tight end Zach Turner, who at 6-foot-3, 210 pounds already holds a dozen and a half offers with the rising junior listing Oklahoma, USC, LSU, Texas, and Texas A&M as his current group of standouts. Along with being the primary in-state program, Texas’ past history of success with Duncanville players stands out to Turner, as the 2026 tight end mentioned there’s a certain level of comfort Texas offers that others can’t in the form of having several of Turner’s friends and former teammates already on the roster. Again, it’s still early in the process for Turner but Texas is almost guaranteed to at least be a hat on table as long as Jeff Banks and Texas continue to recruit the 6-foot-3, 210 pounder. — Scruggs

Ty Haywood, OT, Denton Ryan 

(Photo: Jordan Scruggs, 247Sports)
Entering the weekend I felt like Oklahoma was trending for the five-star tackle. And while that still may be the case, it’s very evident that Haywood is open to a number of schools. Alabama has been coming on heavy of late and locked in an official visit with him at the end of May. Haywood plans to be at Texas’ spring game on April 20 and then return for an official visit to Austin in June, the date of which is not yet set. Oregon is another school that’s trying to stay in his ear. It will be a busy summer of official visits for the Haywoods. The feeling talking to sources is the elite lineman will likely end up staying closer to home when all is said and done, making Oklahoma, Texas, and even TCU all programs to watch closely. — South

Michael Fasusi, OT, Lewisville 

The five-star offensive tackle still has an April 9 unofficial visit and June 21-23 official visit locked in to get back to Texas. He feels he’s seen everything he needs to see from the Longhorns but still wants to see the team in action at practice, and see how the coaching staff runs things. I placed a Crystal Ball prediction in favor of Texas on Friday and still feel good about that pick. One interesting note, on top of his close relationship with UT offensive coordinator and O-line coach Kyle Flood, Fasusi says Tashard Choice is involved in his recruitment as well. Other schools in play include Oklahoma and Texas A&M. Missouri is another program that’s been coming on. — South

Lamont Rogers, OT, Mesquite Horn

Missouri, Oklahoma, LSU, Florida State, Texas, and Texas A&M continue to be the schools with the most buzz around them in the recruitment of Mesquite Horn Top247 offensive tackle Lamont Rogers. Based off talking with sources during my school visit to Mesquite Horn and throughout the Under Armour camp on Sunday, I’d probably place the Longhorns towards the back of the pack if not in last place for the time being. However, that’s not to say Texas doesn’t and won’t have a shot in this recruitment as the Longhorns are just getting themselves back in it. Led by newly rehired special assistant to the head coach Chris Gilbert and director of HS relations Jahmal Fenner, Texas has changed the way it’s recruiting the Top247 offensive tackle as the majority of the Mesquite Horn staff come from Gilbert’s coaching tree across the DFW area metroplex. The work of Gilbert and Fenner has paid off and has Texas in a better position than ever before, but there’s still a long way to go to categorize them as legitimate contenders. Besides two officials set for Mizzou (May 31-June 2) and Texas A&M (June 13-15), Rogers doesn’t have any other OVs scheduled but I’d be surprised if Texas doesn’t end up hosting him on an official trip by the end of the summer. There’s a long way to go in this with one, but if anyone has ever turned a recruitment around for Texas for a Dallas area prospect, it’s usually been Gilbert who was the mastermind behind the Longhorns reeling in Anthony Hill in 2023. — Scruggs

John Turntine III, OT, North Crowley 

It’s still early for the 2026 offensive lineman, but Texas is doing a good job of recruiting 6-foot-5, 275-pound TCU legacy. Turntine is still deciding on whether to get back to Texas on April 6 of 13 of next month. He’s visited Austin three times so far. Turntine loves that Texas is about business and loves the trajectory of the program. It’s still way too early to name favorites for the rising junior but Texas is doing what it needs to do in this recruitment. — South

Riley Pettijohn, LB, McKinney 

I still really like my Crystal Ball pick for Pettijohn to Texas that I put in after his Junior Day visit to Austin. The staff is treating him like the top linebacker target and he’s hit it off with new assistant Johnny Nansen. Pettijohn will unofficially visit Texas on April 6 and return for an official visit in mid-June. He says Ohio State and Texas A&M have been coming on heavier in recent weeks. His top group of Texas, Texas A&M, Florida State, USC, and Ohio State are all on an equal plane at this point in time, he says. He has other June officials set for the Trojans and Aggies. — South

• Hook 'Em 5

Is Moore our number one target? He sure gets talked about it like he is. Starting to wonder if putting more in 2-4 would come out more beneficial than a lsu v us “throw down”. I feel like I’ve heard this story so many times. Unless he is Ryan Williams level, but I thought he was still a couple rungs down from him. Can only imagine what some of these talks look like when it comes to promises and money and card and women romancing 🤯

52 minutes ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

Is Moore our number one target? He sure gets talked about it like he is. Starting to wonder if putting more in 2-4 would come out more beneficial than a lsu v us “throw down”. I feel like I’ve heard this story so many times. Unless he is Ryan Williams level, but I thought he was still a couple rungs down from him. Can only imagine what some of these talks look like when it comes to promises and money and card and women romancing 🤯

GH mentioned last week I think that Sark has told other coaches and recruits the Moore is WR1

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Five-star receiver Dakorien Moore narrows focus to four schools
The nation's top receiver has narrowed his focus to four schools. He shares the latest on his recruitment as he moves toward spring visits.
Mike Roach

Texas: "I've been talking to Texas a lot. Coach Sark and coach (Chris) Jackson of course and coach (Chris) Gilbert just got back. Coach Gilbert has a good relationship with my mom. If you have a good relationship with my mom, you have a good relationship with me. I feel like I can trust him."

FULL ARTICLE

Hide contents

The nation's top receiver has narrowed his focus to four schools. He shares the latest on his recruitment as he moves toward spring visits.
Mike Roach

Dakorien Moore continues to evaluate programs recruiting him. Out of the 34 offers he has, the five-star Duncanville (Texas) receiver has narrowed his focus to four programs. Though he committed to LSU last summer, he's continued to talk with several other programs. Moore tells 247Sports that he's shutting down communication with every program except for LSU, Texas, Oregon and Ohio State.

The 5-foot-11, 175-pound receiver is ranked as the No. 1 wide receiver in the nation and No. 4 overall prospect in the country. Moore recently decided to quiet the noise and eliminate all other programs from the decision. The elite pass-catcher went in-depth on what those four schools had to offer.

LSU: "It's really just like a welcome home every time I go there. They just introduced me to some of the things they do to keep athletes healthy. They really didn't have many injuries this year and when they did, they recovered fast. I'll say that's something I haven't seen from many other schools. Every time I go down there it strengthens my commitment. Every time I go down there, I'm building the relationship more and more and I'm big on relationships so that strengthens it."

Oregon: "I know they're not going to slow down. They've been building since I was introduced to them. The relationship they have with my whole family is amazing and that's something that's important to me."

Texas: "I've been talking to Texas a lot. Coach Sark and coach (Chris) Jackson of course and coach (Chris) Gilbert just got back. Coach Gilbert has a good relationship with my mom. If you have a good relationship with my mom, you have a good relationship with me. I feel like I can trust him."

Ohio State: "Devin (Sanchez) is coming on strong. As soon as he committed, he's been trying to flip me. I'd definitely like to play with him. Ohio State is coming on strong. I feel like they know what they are doing just talking with them."

Moore visited LSU over the weekend, and he's scheduled to be at Ohio State this weekend. Texas will host him on April 20. Moore is expected to take official visits for all four schools though no dates are set yet. As a junior, Moore caught 71 passes for 1,523 yards and 18 touchdowns helping to lead the Panthers to their second straight 6A-I state championship in Texas.

Calculator Accountant GIF by Oi

• Haha 6

3 hours ago, Getafix said:

Mike Roach

FULL ARTICLE

Hide contents

Mike Roach

Dakorien Moore continues to evaluate programs recruiting him. Out of the 34 offers he has, the five-star Duncanville (Texas) receiver has narrowed his focus to four programs. Though he committed to LSU last summer, he's continued to talk with several other programs. Moore tells 247Sports that he's shutting down communication with every program except for LSU, Texas, Oregon and Ohio State.

The 5-foot-11, 175-pound receiver is ranked as the No. 1 wide receiver in the nation and No. 4 overall prospect in the country. Moore recently decided to quiet the noise and eliminate all other programs from the decision. The elite pass-catcher went in-depth on what those four schools had to offer.

LSU: "It's really just like a welcome home every time I go there. They just introduced me to some of the things they do to keep athletes healthy. They really didn't have many injuries this year and when they did, they recovered fast. I'll say that's something I haven't seen from many other schools. Every time I go down there it strengthens my commitment. Every time I go down there, I'm building the relationship more and more and I'm big on relationships so that strengthens it."

Oregon: "I know they're not going to slow down. They've been building since I was introduced to them. The relationship they have with my whole family is amazing and that's something that's important to me."

Ohio State: "Devin (Sanchez) is coming on strong. As soon as he committed, he's been trying to flip me. I'd definitely like to play with him. Ohio State is coming on strong. I feel like they know what they are doing just talking with them."

Moore visited LSU over the weekend, and he's scheduled to be at Ohio State this weekend. Texas will host him on April 20. Moore is expected to take official visits for all four schools though no dates are set yet. As a junior, Moore caught 71 passes for 1,523 yards and 18 touchdowns helping to lead the Panthers to their second straight 6A-I state championship in Texas.

Happy Well Done GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, immamac said:

embeds are coming soon so we can stop having to do screenshots and just do full rich embeds from there to here. 

I was worried about this with the SEC move.  Oh you said embeds.  Sorry. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

25 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

Re: Moore, I can't help but think the way our WRs showed up at the Combine has gotta help bring him to Austin.

That certainly can't hurt but LSU is about to have 1 WR probably go in the 1st 5-7 picks of the 1st round and a 2nd go probably around 16-20. Our 2 guys will go pretty high as well but their guys will go higher.

• Hook 'Em 1

That certainly can't hurt but LSU is about to have 1 WR probably go in the 1st 5-7 picks of the 1st round and a 2nd go probably around 16-20. Our 2 guys will go pretty high as well but their guys will go higher.

Also, Justin Jefferson, Ja’Marr Chase, OBJ, Jarvis Landry…
  • Rage+1 1