Mass Casualty Tornado Event in Kentucky

Royalfan5

Expected at least 50 dead in a candle factory, likely 70-100. Plus a nursing home in Arkansas and Amazon warehouse in Illinois got hit. It sounds like it will be a record for time on the ground as well. I’d also assume there are going to be massive law suits if there wasn’t any shelter for workers in the plant and they worked through a well advertised event 

https://www.wlky.com/amp/article/western-kentucky-tornado-mayfield-bowling-green-weather-beshear/38490463

Edited by Royalfan5
  • Like 1

Beshear said the tornado that hit Mayfield was a tornado that touched down and stayed on the ground for 227 miles.

What?! I thought 20 miles was long for a tornado to be on the ground. 227 miles? If it's moving 60 mph, that's nearly a four hour tornado.

According to that tweet from the guy who consults with the NWS (I doubt he has any reason to lie).  The two supercells had 250-350 mile trajectories and the larger at nearly 500 miles.  With one lone rotation going 227 miles.  If it were just that one at 227, that'd be the tornado of the century.  But there were dozens within those two cells, with multiples traveling 50-100 miles on their own.  

There's no way to prepare for that this time of year.  This will take meteorologists years to unpack because of how many near impossibilities were/are involved.  

If I had been back in Illinois this time of year and I heard a tornado siren, I would thought it was just a test and gone back to bed.  We usually quit caring by October and that's only because of the nearby Plainfield tornado in late August which had baffled experts for years because of how "late" in the season it occurred.  

(also, can we just merge these two threads....it's mostly the same folks chiming in so no harm in doing so I would think).  

Edited by Lobo

I’ve seen a number of tornado’s in my area including one hitting the college dorms a couple miles from my house, another running through downtown a couple miles from our office, etc. and this one looks to be worse than all of them over the last 20 years combined. Pray for the best for the staff we have in the area, but you really can’t find out much right now.

3 hours ago, Lobo said:

According to that tweet from the guy who consults with the NWS (I doubt he has any reason to lie).  The two supercells had 250-350 mile trajectories and the larger at nearly 500 miles.  With one lone rotation going 227 miles.  If it were just that one at 227, that'd be the tornado of the century.  But there were dozens within those two cells, with multiples traveling 50-100 miles on their own.  

There's no way to prepare for that this time of year.  This will take meteorologists years to unpack because of how many near impossibilities were/are involved.  

If I had been back in Illinois this time of year and I heard a tornado siren, I would thought it was just a test and gone back to bed.  We usually quit caring by October and that's only because of the nearby Plainfield tornado in late August which had baffled experts for years because of how "late" in the season it occurred.  

(also, can we just merge these two threads....it's mostly the same folks chiming in so no harm in doing so I would think).  

77 degrees yesterday, the precursor to bad shit this time of year. Typically it’s a bigger problem in February in this area. I can’t remember a December outbreak locally. 

24 minutes ago, Brew said:

77 degrees yesterday, the precursor to bad shit this time of year. Typically it’s a bigger problem in February in this area. I can’t remember a December outbreak locally. 

And when it's 90 in central Texas and you get this type of strong front what prevents an outbreak here when those type of weather masses collide? No lift or something else?

14 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

And when it's 90 in central Texas and you get this type of strong front what prevents an outbreak here when those type of weather masses collide? No lift or something else?

No idea, but when it gets really unseasonably warm on a given day here in the winter months, it’s pretty well a guarantee that it’s going to get bad.

2 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

We had a pretty big one hit Dallas a few years ago the week of Xmas.

We did?  In 2019 we had one around Love Field and HP in May and the bad one in September 2019 that ripped through Preston Hollow. I don’t remember anything in December ever. 

3 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

We had a pretty big one hit Dallas a few years ago the week of Xmas.

Either you or I were blitzed on psychedelics during that time because the last tornado I remember hitting Dallas was that one that blew through the 75/635 area and wiped out a Home Depot. That one was in late summer or early fall. 

I can't remember having a thunderstorm at all ever in December. 

1 minute ago, Hermanator said:

Either you or I were blitzed on psychedelics during that time because the last tornado I remember hitting Dallas was that one that blew through the 75/635 area and wiped out a Home Depot. That one was in late summer or early fall. 

I can't remember having a thunderstorm at all ever in December. 

I remember because my future MIL was in town for the first time and she freaked the fuck out despite the tornado not getting within 20 miles of us.

2 hours ago, Porterhouse said:

We did?  In 2019 we had one around Love Field and HP in May and the bad one in September 2019 that ripped through Preston Hollow. I don’t remember anything in December ever. 

Yea I remember the one in December. I was at a wedding in Irving when it happened. Crazy shit

NBC had a brief interview a moment ago with the guy wearing the yellow shooter’s glasses that was looking for his sister that happens to be his only living relative.  

He wasn’t crying or hysterical but seemed to be under the crushing weight of severe dread and worry.  

I was taken by his emotion.  I truly hope he finds her alive and well.  God bless him and his sister. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1