Barton Creek Mall on a Saturday Night

atomheartbevo

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

In the early 80s, and maybe even when you worked there, you could get a blowjob for $5.   You just go to the J.C. Penney’s  and head to the sporting goods department.  There was a high school kid there and you would tel him you wanted to buy some socks, and then he’d blow you in one of the dressing rooms.  

The kid loved UT football and if you told him you were a football player he’d blow you for free. Poor kid, I know of at least 4 people that told him they were Todd Dodge.  He probably didn’t have a UT media guide or a Dave Campbell’s guide laying around, so he couldn’t have known what Dodge looked like without a helmet.   

gary coleman wtf GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

In the early 80s, and maybe even when you worked there, you could get a blowjob for $5.   You just go to the J.C. Penney’s  and head to the sporting goods department.  There was a high school kid there and you would tel him you wanted to buy some socks, and then he’d blow you in one of the dressing rooms.  

The kid loved UT football and if you told him you were a football player he’d blow you for free. Poor kid, I know of at least 4 people that told him they were Todd Dodge.  He probably didn’t have a UT media guide or a Dave Campbell’s guide laying around, so he couldn’t have known what Dodge looked like without a helmet.   

Shamewood? 

• Haha 1

I didn’t know there was a JC Penney’s at Pease Park.

#TheMoreYouKnow

Edited by JerrysJheriCurl
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

spacer.png

• Haha 1

I thought the arcade at BCM was also the gold mine in the 80s. Maybe they had a monopoly on the city back then. 

Also now I know why I never went into JC Penney’s. 

Finally why did Austin strip clubs in the 90s never seem to have a champagne room? 
Nah dude. Northcross was always the Tilt. Goldmine was at Highland and Barton Creek had Aladdin's Castle or some shit like that.
  • Hook 'Em 4

31 minutes ago, Bevo Num1 said:
1 hour ago, JimmyJames said:
I thought the arcade at BCM was also the gold mine in the 80s. Maybe they had a monopoly on the city back then. 

Finally why did Austin strip clubs in the 90s never seem to have a champagne room? 

Nah dude. Northcross was always the Tilt. Goldmine was at Highland and Barton Creek had Aladdin's Castle or some shit like that.

Youre Wrong John C Mcginley GIF

There was also a Goldmine at Highland Mall.  Next to Kay-Bee Toys and across from a shoe store.  I frequented the one at Northcross more often until Einsteins opened in the strip center across the street.   TIlt at Northcross was after the renovation and was on the opposite side of the ice rink.  Goldmine was next to the movie theater, pre-Tilt.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Bevo Num1 said:
1 hour ago, JimmyJames said:

Aladdins castle I believe is correct. I thought it was originally a goldmine at Barton creek though and then turned into aladdin sometime in the mid 80s but I could just be confusing all of them. 

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

No one wants to comment on the brazen smash and grab?  Lulz.  This trend seems to be going viral.  

Can we at least blame it on city council and/or defunding the police?  

Personally I blame the robbers, but that’s just me.

And Austin didn’t defund the police. So unless Mayor Adler smashed up the place it’s quite the stretch to blame him for it. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

Aladdins castle I believe is correct. I thought it was originally a goldmine at Barton creek though and then turned into aladdin sometime in the mid 80s but I could just be confusing all of them. 

Barton Creek was definitely Aladdin’s Castle. You were able to rent the place out for birthday parties before they opened in the morning.
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Native Horn said:

I can assure you that it was Gold Mine back in the 80s.

What part of the 80s? Cause at least from 86-90 gold mine was first floor of highland mall. 
edit: late to the game and seems everyone above got it right. Tilt was something before tilt but I have no idea what. 

Edited by achooloco

Just young folk calling things what they experienced instead of the OG way.

I still call em all the following, even if people have changed them. Off the top of my head:

Decker Lake, City Park, Town Lake, Paleface Park, Ben’s Long Branch, Fiesta Gardens, Chicano Park, Lanier HS, Johnston HS, Reagan HS, La Loma, Hungry Hill, South Congress, 26th St., Cocktails. 

No need to correct. Just accept that some folk are multigenerational Tejanos/Austinites… and call things different.
We also have been making and eating tacos and BBQ before Waterloo existed. 
It wasn’t a trend…  it’s a way of life. 

TLDR: Don’t Tilt my Gold Mine. 

Edited by JerrysJheriCurl
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 12/19/2021 at 11:41 AM, atomheartbevo said:

If you'd mentioned it, I'm sure someone would have brought you a media guide or Dave Campbell's...

On 12/19/2021 at 4:33 PM, bschoolprof said:

No one wants to comment on the brazen smash and grab?  Lulz.  This trend seems to be going viral.  

Can we at least blame it on city council and/or defunding the police?  

On 12/19/2021 at 4:45 PM, JimmyJames said:

And Austin didn’t defund the police. So unless Mayor Adler smashed up the place it’s quite the stretch to blame him for it. 

i also blame the police. why the fuck is there not a handful of cops on foot patrol in the mall? everything they do seems so reactionary. how about an ounce of prevention every once in awhile?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, hayden_horn said:

i also blame the police. why the fuck is there not a handful of cops on foot patrol in the mall? everything they do seems so reactionary. how about an ounce of prevention every once in awhile?

I know, right?  I mean, why don't we have a cop on every block?  For that matter, why don't we have a cop following every person in the city?  There'd never be any crime at all!

3 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

I know, right?  I mean, why don't we have a cop on every block?  For that matter, why don't we have a cop following every person in the city?  There'd never be any crime at all!

massive eyeroll. you're way way better than this as a poster, unless my sarcasm meter is completely fucked. 

On 12/19/2021 at 4:45 PM, JimmyJames said:

And on that piece-of-shit Garza. They'll reel these hoods in at some point and he'll sentence them to a chalkboard with the mandate that they write "I am sorry" 100 times. 

(If Garza's in a bad mood he'll have them write it 150 times.) 

1 hour ago, Ghost of LL said:

One of us has a sarcasm meter that's broken.  That's for sure.

i'm just grouchy because i still have a bit of work to finish this week while everyone else is done for the year. 

i very much believe in community policing, and proactively identifying targets. a mall during christmas season should have cops on patrol, for shoplifting, theft, a nutter with an ar-15 looking to shoot up the place, whatever.

1 hour ago, hayden_horn said:

i'm just grouchy because i still have a bit of work to finish this week while everyone else is done for the year. 

i very much believe in community policing, and proactively identifying targets. a mall during christmas season should have cops on patrol, for shoplifting, theft, a nutter with an ar-15 looking to shoot up the place, whatever.

And I guess my point is that I'm sure there were cops there.  There have always been plenty of cops there (both on-duty and off-duty private security) every time I've been to Barton Square Mall.

But let's just be real about the role they play--they're there for deterrence and to deal with things like shoplifting and breaking up a fight.  They're not going to try to apprehend an organized jewelry-store robbery, because doing that might turn into a shoot-out in the middle of a crowded mall.  Far better to try to apprehend them later.

On 12/19/2021 at 1:35 AM, TornACL said:

I mean this with all due respect, but you have to be a complete fucking loser to still go to a mall. 

I live in Austin and I seriously did not know that mall still existed.

This is the first time I've heard of it in at least a decade.

Edited by TexArcher

1 minute ago, Ghost of LL said:

If the City of Austin ever were so unwise as to make me Mayor, I'd attract the Tampa Bay Rays to Austin and redevelop that stupid mall as a baseball stadium.

Oh man. That would be one of if not the most badass park in the country. Think of the views. 

Westlake would never let that happen unfortunately.

50 minutes ago, bolverk said:

It's well inside Austin's city limits.

Referring to Westlake as the surrounding neighborhood here. NIMBYs aren't exclusive to non-Austin municipalities. 

I mean it would never happen for a billion other reasons but still. 

It will be developed before the end of the decade, but not as a baseball stadium.  

People forget why shopping malls still exist in some urban areas.  A lot of people don't have credit/debit cards, they shop with cash.  

Also, sometimes people need diamonds to pay hitmen.  So they send underlings.  

It's a fascinating world underneath this one.  Why somebody even knocked over the ATM across the street from this BC Square, sending the nextdoor community into a frenzy about "Defunding Police" as the cause.  Last I checked, as Willie Sutton said, the reason people knock off cash machines, jewelry stores, and banks?  'Cause that's where the fucking money is.  

Only curious thing about this heist is the timing.  Busy Saturday night before Christmas.  Lots of inventory, lots of crowd in which to blend in beforehand and afterward on camera.  Could blended in with crowd near closing and hid inside and then made their move but of course, they'd be more obvious to spot.  The frantic dispersal was an easy way to slip out---big upside.  Big downside---you can't operate/steal very long with that kind of lighting/frenzy/recording/police response/etc.  Maybe they were there for just a specific case at somebody's direction?