GOP lie about SCOTUS nominations

Nice Guy Eddie

In preparation for a potential 2022 GOP flip of the senate majority and Breyer not retiring, the GOP has started a lie.  The lie is that when the Senate and President are from different parties, the Senate never confirms the President's pick. False.

Senate Democrats approved GOP nominations for Kennedy, Souter and Thomas.

Of course, maybe Grassley was just saying the truth that the GOP plays by a different set of rules.

• Hook 'Em 1

56 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

It won’t cost them shit. It’ll cement their control for generations.

This. It'll lead ultimately to a theocracy, which we're more than halfway there anyway. They'll overturn Roe in a few weeks, gay marriage is next, not to mention that every voting restriction will be upheld, and they've already said gerrymandering is fine, so they have officially won. Civil war is next.

Edited by 'stache
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, 'stache said:

This. It'll lead ultimately to a theocracy, which we're more than halfway there anyway. They'll overturn Roe in a few weeks, gay marriage is next, not to mention that every voting restriction will be upheld, and they've already said gerrymandering is fine, so they have officially won. Civil war is next.

within our lifetime, a R state is going to flip to D. The R state house will throw out votes to swing it back R and the Supreme Court will rubber stamp it. 

trump tried to get AZ and GA to do this in 2020 but they wouldn’t play along. It was discussed openly by R’s 

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

within our lifetime, a R state is going to flip to D. The R state house will throw out votes to swing it back R and the Supreme Court will rubber stamp it. 

trump tried to get AZ and GA to do this in 2020 but they wouldn’t play along. It was discussed openly by R’s 

It'll happen in 2024.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

35 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

It'll happen in 2024.

Yep... unless the Dems complete lack of action on anything suppresses their turnout low enough not to matter, which is also probable. 

And it will happen on the federal level. The GQP is going to take the House in 2024 and they will not seat a Dem president again regardless of margin of victory. 

6 minutes ago, Red Five said:

This seems problematic. 

Quite. What's even more problematic is that I meant to type 2022.

The next election decides whether we stay a Republic, or go full Trump minority-rule fascism. We have until November to turn it around. 

Edited by Pods
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

The Constitution is the problem.

trump has already shown that he doesn’t give a fuck about that piece of paper. Will his Supreme Court stand up to him, that’s the real question 

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, 'stache said:

Civil war isn't happening in our lifetime.  We're all too fucking comfortable, and there's no way to for it to really work in any kind of organized fashion.  State vs. state won't work because every red state has blue cities, and every blue state is just cities surrounded by empty miles of redness.

Are you ready to go die when Republicans end free elections?  As much as I hate what's happening, I'm not sure I'm going to go die over it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

within our lifetimes, the supreme court has already told a state to stop counting when the republican was in the lead.  don't even need the R state house to interfere. 

Edited by elfenix
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 2

6 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Civil war isn't happening in our lifetime.  We're all too fucking comfortable, and there's no way to for it to really work in any kind of organized fashion.  State vs. state won't work because every red state has blue cities, and every blue state is just cities surrounded by empty miles of redness.

Are you ready to go die when Republicans end free elections?  As much as I hate what's happening, I'm not sure I'm going to go die over it.

What we typically think of as a "Civil War"... brother marching across an open field to fight brother... sure, that won't happen.  But there will be a fuck ton of Kyle Rittenhouses.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

What we typically think of as a "Civil War"... brother marching across an open field to fight brother... sure, that won't happen.  But there will be a fuck ton of Kyle Rittenhouses.

This.  Think Japan pre-WWII with lots of political assassinations, etc.  You know, you're average banana republic.  The Blues and the Greens burning down each other's campaign HQs.  That kind of stuff.  

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

It's not going to look like a civil war from history or from current third world countries. I'm not sure what it will look like. But having the majority ruled by the minority is not sustainable. The Supreme Court going backwards on civil rights might be the breaking point since it's set now for the next 25+ years.

15 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Yeah, I would agree with that.

And I didn't mean a literal recreation of the previous Civil War, but was referring to an organized armed conflict where there are opposing armed factions with governments behind them vying for supremacy and either the right to create a new nation or control the existing one.

I also don't see the state or local level Republican hostaging happening either.  There will continue to be states and cities ran by liberals where the theocracy the right craves doesn't really have much effect.  What there won't be will Federal protections of civil rights so some states will become absolute conservative hellholes and everyone who isn't interested in their regressive theocracy will just leave and go to a place that doesn't tolerate it.  That will mix in with an increase of small scale vigilante violence (your Rittenhouse analogy), probably based on either racial or political differences.  

47 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Would you strike over it? Because a general strike that includes the white collar working class would get the attention of the ruling class. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Just this morning I saw an interview with a prof from UCSD who works with the CIA to help assess threats of civil war across the globe.

She was adamant that the United States has already fallen from the ranks of democracies into a sort of hybrid democracy/autocracy, and that our threat of civil war had moved to "high".

Sure, an academic.  An academic hired by the CIA to assess global threats, and when those metrics are turned on the US, the result is disturbing.  Ignore it or not.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

But would you do it? Would you strike?

No.  I'm self employed and run a business with about 20 employees, most of who have families, and most of whom would be completely fine living in Trumplandia.  Screwing over my partners and employees by striking would be really, really irresponsible in my mind.

I love the idea in theory, but I'm not willing to throw my life's work away over it either.

Not yet, anyways.

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Just this morning I saw an interview with a prof from UCSD who works with the CIA to help assess threats of civil war across the globe.

She was adamant that the United States has already fallen from the ranks of democracies into a sort of hybrid democracy/autocracy, and that our threat of civil war had moved to "high".

Sure, an academic.  An academic hired by the CIA to assess global threats, and when those metrics are turned on the US, the result is disturbing.  Ignore it or not.

Morgan Freeman Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I think the United States's decline is inevitable.  I just don't think it's going to be as sudden and violent on a large scale as what we think of "civil war".  I don't doubt what this academic is seeing one bit.

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

No.  I'm self employed and run a business with about 20 employees, most of who have families, and most of whom would be completely fine living in Trumplandia.  Screwing over my partners and employees by striking would be really, really irresponsible in my mind.

I love the idea in theory, but I'm not willing to throw my life's work away over it either.

Not yet, anyways.

"Are you capital? I'm sorry, but I'm afraid you can't come."

Edited by David Dennison
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

2 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Chuckie is exactly right.  What we call our "Civil War" wasn't at all a civil war.  It was a war between sovereign states that were formerly in a political confederation.  All things being considered, the American Civil War was a pretty sterile affair.  From an individual level, your state called on you to serve, you joined the army, and you generally went off to a distant battlefield to fight against other soldiers on the other side.  

That's not a civil war.

A civil war is when the citizens of a sovereign state a fighting one another.  Look at Afghanistan or Somalia or the DRC--those are civil wars.  They might have sides somewhat organized under warlords or as part of some group.  But there's no real geographical delineation; you fundamentally have neighbor killing neighbor.

When people talk of civil war in America, that's what we're talking about.  It'll start as pre-WWII Japan type stuff with targeted assassinations.  But how long does that go on until the assassinations work their way down to the city-council and school-board and local-police level?  And once you get down to that level, now you're talking about neighbor-on-neighbor violence.  When you're at that point, then people are going to kill one another based on what campaign sign was in their front yard a few years before . . . if only to ensure that they're not attacked first.

2 hours ago, David Dennison said:

Would you strike over it? Because a general strike that includes the white collar working class would get the attention of the ruling class. 

Boy, that would be the most civilized way to handle it.  And it'd probably be the most effective.

And it honestly wouldn't take much.  If just half the lawyers went out on a general strike, the economy would show serious strain in a couple weeks.

18 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Boy, that would be the most civilized way to handle it.  And it'd probably be the most effective.

And it honestly wouldn't take much.  If just half the lawyers went out on a general strike, the economy would show serious strain in a couple weeks.

early in the pandemic was the closest we've ever come to a general strike and capital fucking panicked. 

Edited by elfenix

3 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

This.  Think Japan pre-WWII with lots of political assassinations, etc.  You know, you're average banana republic.  The Blues and the Greens burning down each other's campaign HQs.  That kind of stuff.  

3 hours ago, 'stache said:

It's not going to look like a civil war from history or from current third world countries. I'm not sure what it will look like. But having the majority ruled by the minority is not sustainable. The Supreme Court going backwards on civil rights might be the breaking point since it's set now for the next 25+ years.

2 hours ago, David Dennison said:

4 minutes ago, elfenix said:

early in the pandemic was the closest we've ever come to a general strike and capital fucking panicked. 

Here's the thing: An actual civil war, even if it's very low-scale and just assassinations and lone wolf types fucking around, would be extremely disruptive of society, which means it would be extremely disruptive for businesses and for the wealthy.

Anything bad for businesses/wealthy is bad for the politicians.  Ted Cruz isn't going to embrace Billy Bob and his local militia trying to blockade a town or or company or whatever, when his corporate donors are losing their shit that a bunch of Billy Bobs and their local militias are shutting down commerce, production, distribution, etc. by virtue of scaring people from being out and about their daily lives.

And even if said militias are in MAGA country, the local law enforcement and local politicians are going to be antsy about militias out actively engaging people or fucking with companies, because local businesses are going to be pissed/shutting down. More importantly, if those local militias are actively organizing and engaging people, eventually the politicians and law enforcement know those local militias may decide that the local politicians and law enforcement aren't MAGA enough.  

That's not even getting into the fact that even minor local disturbances will lead to disruptions to internet, electricity, and water, which also means fuel distribution.

Get those little disruptions going, and even MAGA types are going to turn against the MAGA militias pretty fucking quick, and the local politicians/law enforcement better be onboard and against those MAGA militias, or they are out-of-office.

While there are plenty of Republican politicians at all levels from city/county to national, who are willing to fuck around and tweak the MAGA idiots, they aren't willing to take the step that ends whatever power they have accumulated.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

The last time a Republican senate confirmed a Dem president's nominee was in 1895. Of course, the guy they confirmed wrote Lochner and was part of the majority in Plessy, so fuck him. 

You sure?  Didn't RBG and Breyer get through R senates?  Just off top of my head.  Clinton appoints.