Formula 1 2022

Anton Chigurh

16 minutes ago, texas08 said:

Ummm WTF….

So yeah I won’t start drinking til 10pm so I don’t pass out by fucking midnight.

Yep. LMAO at all the Brit & Euro bitches complaining about the early start time. So sad. Getting up early is still better than staying up until 3 or 4 am to watch the race, imho.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, wood said:

That's cool.  I was wondering how they were going to move people in and out of the infield.  I remember the Strip having some pedestrian walkways that cross it, but wasn't sure about the rest.

If the above is accurate, then it looks like the strip itself will have 3 walkways, the the backside will have 1, and the last squared off block section at the "bottom" will also have one.

Yeah, I wouldn't take that video as being very accurate, esp outside the confines of the track itself.

Re: ped walkways, iirc they have a pedestrian tunnel system along the strip. Dunno if those might be closed during the race though, & not sure how safe they are, either.

Edited by wood

6 hours ago, wood said:

Yep. LMAO at all the Brit & Euro bitches complaining about the early start time. So sad. Getting up early is still better than staying up until 3 or 4 am to watch the race, imho.

It’s annoying but not a big deal for one race. I’ll take the Saturday qualifying and Sunday race in the middle of my afternoon all day every day.

17 hours ago, kevwun said:

There are sky bridges too.  Crossing the actual street is only allowed at a few intersections.  They take jaywalking real serious.  The fine for it is pretty ridiculous.

Yeah, they clearly included at least a couple of the existing pedestrian bridges, in the simulation.

And then there were some others that looked temporary.

They're going to have to do SOMEthing, obviously, to allow people to pass from the inside of the track to the outside.

For those who need a refresher like me, Chainbear has a good breakdown of the changes to Melbourne. I was surprised to see how much faster it’s going to be. Now turn 7-11 is basically one long straight, the pit lane speed is up from 60 to 80, and they’re going to have 3-4 DRS zones, so this will be a completely different track. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 1

Alpine: F1 rivals helped out "massively" by floor stay concession https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/alpine-f1-rivals-helped-out-massively-by-floor-stay-concession/9631148/

Such bullshit, bailing out the teams who got it wrong and effectively penalizing the teams who got it right. F1: "Design the car to fit this rule set, but don't fret over it too much. If you can't quite figure it out, we'll just let you change the rules, even if some of you do get it right."

Embarrassing, really.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, wood said:

Alpine: F1 rivals helped out "massively" by floor stay concession https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/alpine-f1-rivals-helped-out-massively-by-floor-stay-concession/9631148/

Such bullshit, bailing out the teams who got it wrong and effectively penalizing the teams who got it right. F1: "Design the car to fit this rule set, but don't fret over it too much. If you can't quite figure it out, we'll just let you change the rules, even if some of you do get it right."

Embarrassing, really.

I’m surprised the concession was made. RB also don’t really need the stay, so you’d think RB and Alpine would have enough sway to block such a concession, but I guess Ferrari and Merc are the two teams with the most sway and have their engines in 7 different teams. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Also two different Italian outlets are reporting that Ferrari will bring a new floor /aero upgrade at Imola, and will start running their PU at full power when they bring the second PU at Barcelona.

One article also mentioned Ferrari has “medium-term” plans to become more aero efficient so they don’t lose out at high speeds to RB. I’m thinking this may mean they make their sidepods smaller on the underside, more like RB.  Baku and Canada are both in June, so I’d guess they’d be shooting for that part to be ready by then but who knows. 

It’s going to be wild to see how the teams change in pace by the end of Barcelona.  

On the topic of engine power, Amus had an article where they say a Merc source estimates Merc’s engine is on par with Alpine, slightly behind Honda and 1-2 tenths behind Ferrari. If Ferrari currently lead the field and still have room to turn their engines up, that could be a very significant factor for the next 4 years. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

13 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I’m surprised the concession was made. RB also don’t really need the stay, so you’d think RB and Alpine would have enough sway to block such a concession, but I guess Ferrari and Merc are the two teams with the most sway and have their engines in 7 different teams. 

Yep. That's exactly it.

1 hour ago, wood said:

Embarrassing, really.

Changing the rules to help certain competitors really bothered a lot of folks in Abu Dhabi.

2 hours ago, Superhero said:

Alonso Fernando already on his 3rd PU.

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/107683/alonso-already-approaching-limit-for-power-units-engine-is-lost-for-us.html

Feel bad for the guy. Apparently a 5 grid penalty if he needs another PU. Not sure if that's for one race, or for the rest of the season.

The first PU is actually being put back into the rotation later in the season. The water pump has been the problem. In Jeddah, apparently parts from the water pump entered the ICE. Apparently the engine itself is fine, but they'd have to break the seal to get the parts out, so it's lost. But since the Bahrain PU is OK, they still actually have 2 usable PUs in their pool. Not ideal, but better than having burned 2 PUs already.

Edited by wood

2 hours ago, Superhero said:

Alonso Fernando already on his 3rd PU.

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/107683/alonso-already-approaching-limit-for-power-units-engine-is-lost-for-us.html

Feel bad for the guy. Apparently a 5 grid penalty if he needs another PU. Not sure if that's for one race, or for the rest of the season.

rest of year, right?

worst part is that 1 of the engines is toast (water pump died, can't break seals to replace)

4 hours ago, ConferenceRoom said:

Es este El Plan?

It's not an ideal start, but sure. With an engine freeze, it's better to start out fast and unreliable than slow and reliable, because you can fix the reliability issues. The Renault PU is powerful, and in this case the reliability issue is just the water pump, and not in the actual ICE itself. We've already seen other PUs having problems, and I'm sure there will be plenty more.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1

The Australian GP: the best value of any GP weekend, maybe the best in all of racing.

Just look at Sunday's races alone:

Historics

S5000

Carrera Cup

Supercars

F1

Four days, with easily the best, most action packed and diverse lineup of any GP. Truly amazing. So much hot-track time, vs so little at many GPs.

Unreal. Definitely on my list.

Lr9Nmj.jpg

qJIAjK.jpg

oAQd2W.jpg

VqLlfU.jpg

Edited by wood

Not just the DRS zones. The track changes have made it much faster than before. Apparently the S5000s are 9 seconds quicker there than 2020 quallfying on this new track. Gonna be interesting to see how much quicker F1 cars are.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 2

so what are we thinking about the overall look after the first two races?  anything about them specifically that makes us think that ferrari's new rules engine performed better because of conditions or is ferrari looking like the best implementation of the new rules?

can't help but notice that haas and alfa romeo are sitting mid-table with ferrari engines while mclaren dropped off the planet and williams and aston martin sitting in the basement...all with mercedes engines.

anyway, curious on you guys' take that pay way closer attention to the technicals than me.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

In my "way too early to tell anything definitive" opinion, it seems to be shaping up something like this as far as PU power goes:

Ferrari

RBR

Alpine

Merc

Obviously, RBR & Alpine have some reliability issues to work out, too, & I'm sure Merc & Petronas are working hard to get a better bang from the fuel. If they are down on power relative to the rest, my gut feeling is that it's mostly due to how they've handled the fuel change.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1

It’s crazy that FP1 starts in an hour.

Seems like this track might suit RB a tad bit better than Ferrari but it’s hard to say because I think Ferrari could’ve been faster at Jeddah if they had run lower DF.  

After talk of a potential new floor and new beam wing, it turns out Merc aren’t bringing any upgrades. I expect they’ll still have the third fastest car, but supposedly Alpine is bringing a new floor that will drop 4kg and make them better with porpoising, so it’s possible they could challenge Merc here. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

You can see Ferrari is still running a much bigger wing than RB. They showed a graphic towards the end of FP1 where Leclerc was losing about 4 tenths on the straights to the two RBs. Sainz was only losing .14 to them, but his fastest lap was 6 tenths faster than Max and Charles, so I assume he was on a much lighter fuel load. 

Overall, it seems like a mistake for Ferrari to be running such a higher wing than RB again. It might make Ferrari slightly faster in quali or save the tyres a little more, but if they can't really pull away from RB (doubtful) or another late safety car bunches them back up, then they could be in trouble. It's possible Charles would've won in Jeddah if there was no late VSC or if he didn't get yellow flags on lap 48 when he was 4 tenths back heading into the pit straight with DRS, but it just seems like a bad idea to plan to go into a race with such a top speed disadvantage.  I still wonder if Ferrari is going higher DF because they are worried about porpoising more at higher speeds. You can see they still porpoise a lot  and are having to make compromises to mitigate it, whereas RB seem to have it solved completely. They run with the lowest ride height and almost never porpoise. If Ferrari's new floor and other upgrades at Imola further solve porpoising, it could be a big jump in not only pace but also setup options.

We're fortunate the RBs and Ferraris are so close, because they are miles ahead of the rest of the field. If one of them had made a bad car, this would be a very boring championship. 

Practice update from the BBC:

Charles Leclerc headed Red Bull's Max Verstappen in Friday practice at the Australian Grand Prix.

Leclerc ended the session 0.245 seconds ahead of the Dutchman, who appeared to have the potential to go faster had it not been for traffic and some errors.

The second Ferrari of Carlos Sainz was 0.398secs off the pace in third place, ahead of the Fernando Alonso's Alpine, impressively competitive in fourth.

Mercedes drivers George Russell and Lewis Hamilton were only 11th and 13th.

The seven-time champion said it had been "a difficult session".

"Nothing we change on the car makes a difference at the moment," Hamilton said, "so that's the difficult thing.

"It's just a tricky car. You're trying to push and catch and even when you do a decent lap it's 1.2 seconds down."