Orange Bowl CFP semifinal Georgia vs Michigan

Helobious

35 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

If this was BCS, Georgia would have been #2 and everyone knows it. But #3 Michigan would have done a hardcore media campaign and shouted their butthurt from the rooftops and we'd all enjoy the scandal.

The CFP shuts up those #3 and occasional #4 teams that would have had a claim on that BCS 2-seed, and everyone after that is a 1-loss with a weak SoS or a 2-loss also-ran without a serious claim. 

I kind of miss those BCS scandals and arguments. 

Edited by Disco Missile

22 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

I have a really good recipe for cheese grits. It’s more like a soufflé. It’s got cheddar cheese and hotsauce and paprika and eggs and you bake it. So damn good. Today sucks. My mom got Covid yesterday and gave it to me and even though I have had my two shots I hadn’t got my booster yet. I was hoping for an interesting game and this blows ass.

Three cheers for those that appreciate grits. That’s a sucky way to start off 2022, sorry to hear.  I haven’t gotten my booster yet but may reconsider.  Yep, both games totally blows ass today.  Bummer

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

This is the third or fourth year in a row that my interest in football peaked with TX HS championship week. Four teams, eight teams, 16 team playoff don’t make a shit any more. 

Not wrong

1 minute ago, ClubWhatever said:

What a meltdown by Michigan’s secondary tonight. They let this high school QB torch their asses.   

Fucking wow. 

3 minutes ago, USNALonghorn said:

The “let’s just got back to the BCS way” argument is fucking idiotic. The very first playoff had #4 Ohio State win it all.

And #5 or #6 TCU was nasty as fuck too.

3 minutes ago, kingkoopa6 said:

stetson bennett mom got potential 

image.thumb.png.efe93bbff2c7fdd4273202d44062aad0.png

image.png.587c99e705c7adf13e70193a325ab179.png

This is why you invited to the cookouts. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah, we should just have college basketball and baseball have the top two teams chosen by a select group or computers. It would be much more exciting. 

The difference is in those sports the ability is more spread out. Not so much in CFB. And it’s only getting worse.

1 minute ago, tbone_ said:

The difference is in those sports the ability is more spread out. Not so much in CFB. And it’s only getting worse.

It's getting worse because the system we have leads to a select few teams reaping all the benefits.

Edited by Deej
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, tbone_ said:

It’s more spread out because there are minor leagues and fewer schollies allowed.  More competition for elite talent.  Do the same in football.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Those two sports have parity. CFB does not and never will as long as the current post season structure exists.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Cincy isn't going to do anything crazy to beat Bama because they're close enough already to beat them if they play well and Bama doesn't. But you put Bama up against a 16 seed that knows they need to get wacky to win? That game can ironically become more difficult. It also makes the eventual champion much more deserving. 

You're dreaming. Cincy isn't in the same ballpark as Alabama. A competent OC and Saban not being content to take the easy win playing conservatively, and that game would have been an absolute beat down. No amount of trick plays would have changed that. This isn't basketball. The other team can't just get hot from 3 and put a scare in the better team. The top 2-3 teams every year are just too big, fast, and physical for a non-P5 school or 16 seed to reasonably expect to compete, even if they catch all the breaks. We beat Bama because they had a let down in the middle of a long season with games every weekend. If we had their full attention, that ain't happening. With a 16 team field, we'd just see a handful of blowouts every single year and wonder why we keep doing this for the twice a decade that Boise State beats Oklahoma in the first round.

Edited by aggie08
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

If Cincy didn’t come in and leave it all out there, that’s on them and their team identity. First G5 in the CFP playing against the game’s greatest dynasty in a matchup only the talking heads paid to hype things gave them a shot. But that’s not Fickell’s style, he does not want to be a gimmick coach or gimmick program. 

Last play of 3rd quarter was salty. Best tackle/hit I've seen in some time. McCarthy is a big dude, was full stride and just got sent backwards like a ragdoll and he wrapped up. Dont see hits/ tackles like that nowadays. Reminded me of Bryant Westbrook hits. Mmmm Leeland McElroy getting destroyed was so beautiful. Man I want some pipe hitting mother fuckers in burnt orange again.

Edited by CptnJiggleBits

Just now, F250 said:

Those two sports have parity. CFB does not and never will as long as the current post season structure exists.

You think it's the post season structure that has created this? Clemson's starting corner was arrested with weed and a gun in the summer and was kicked off the team. He started for Georgia against Clemson in the first game of the season. 

The playoff structure has nothing to do with this, it's the portal setup mostly, and the ability for some teams to pay far more than anyone else. Becoming national champions is unattainable for all but ~10 teams. That's what's killing this sport 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, CptnJiggleBits said:

Last play of 3rd quarter was salty. Best tackle/hit I've seen in some time. McCarthy is a big dude, was full stride and just got sent backwards like a ragdoll and he wrapped up. Dont see hits/ tackles like that nowadays. Reminded me if Bryant Westbrook hits. Mmmm Leeland McElroy getting destroyed was so beautiful. Man I want some pipe hitting MFers in burnt orange again.

He jumped right up too.  He’s one of the few athletes Michigan has who belongs with these cats Georgia has on defense.  He’s clearly their starter going forward. 

34 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Best of luck to you both.

My recipe, which is more interesting than Michigan Football tonight, is one cup of milk, three cups of water, salt and pepper the water, and some butter.  I cut down on how much butter as I used to use a stick, and one cup of grits.   I cook them slowly and use a whisk to stir them.  I usually add just a hint of cheese at the end.

Instant grits?

• Rage+1 1

Just now, Doc Sam Beckett said:

You think it's the post season structure that has created this? Clemson's starting corner was arrested with weed and a gun in the summer and was kicked off the team. He started for Georgia against Clemson in the first game of the season. 

The playoff structure has nothing to do with this, it's the portal setup mostly, and the ability for some teams to pay far more than anyone else. Becoming national champions is unattainable for all but ~10 teams. That's what's killing this sport 

No, not just that but it's NYE and I am now 3 sheets to the wind.

If CFB can get back to true student athletes competing then we can be rid of this semi pro shit.

2 minutes ago, Horn80 said:

Maybe not but doubtful either Cincy or Michigan would have advanced to play Bama or Georgia resulting in better games.

You could screw Bama by making them play Toledo then Oregon then have to go play Clemson with only a week of prep.  The #1 dog is an enormous advantage with a month to prepare but less so in a series.

• Hook 'Em 1

Part of it is the national championship becoming the end all be all. Used to be you wanted to win your conference and dominate your geographic neighbors you shared it with. And then some pollsters figured out who they thought did that best and bestowed the MNC.

Certainly a far from perfect way of picking a national champion but a lot more teams felt like there was something meaningful to play for.

You only need to look at how Sooner fans think on Riley’s accomplishments (realizing good amount of butthurt there at the moment) or how it was “time for Stoops to move on” to see how diminished anything but a natty is in fandom’s consciousness.

1 minute ago, ClubWhatever said:

He jumped right up too.  He’s one of the few athletes Michigan has who belongs with these cats Georgia has on defense.  He’s clearly their starter going forward. 

Yeah. Dude certainly looks like uber athletic and talented. Astroglide smooth.  Throws beautiful laser ball. And getting up from these hits, damn.