Roommate serves vegan bacon, gets life ruined.

South Austin

29 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

dont fuck with peoples food to push your agenda and all is solved.

yeah there is some responsibility to make damn sure you know what you are eating. but then again, if someone says they are serving bacon, you kinda got to believe them.

If that person walks up to you and says, "high, I am morally opposed to exploiting animals for human benefit in any way, try some bacon" And you believe that they are giving you real bacon you are an idiot of the highest magnitude. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

In the future semi-benevolent dictatorship of Brisketexan, manufacturing or serving vegan bacon will be punishable by 2 days in the stocks, minimum.
Also, at one (but only one, thank God) of the German Christmas markets we visited this year, I saw this abomination....and I didn't even know what to think.....

01f9f548da366caa904fb19dfabf66d7.jpg

Regular currywurst is bad enough.  Can't imagine how bad the vegan version is.  

1 hour ago, Jerry Callo said:

If one bite of something with soy in it has the potential of killing me, I might mention that to the vegan roommate early on.  Oh yeah - fuck vegetarian meatlike products.

Hell a regular meat eating roommate could throw some generic vegetable oil down and send you to the morgue.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

But what kind of dumb idiot let's a vegan cook breakfast for them while having an allergy to soy? Did she think the vegan was going to cook up real bacon for her?

The vegan lied and told her it was real.

"She told me it was regular bacon. Not that it was fake bacon or that it had soy,"

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Sandman said:

The vegan lied and told her it was real.

Should you believe the word of someone who can't tell the difference between real bacon and vegan bacon? She probably said something along the lines of "this is bacon" and not "this is real bacon." And if Bill Clinton can dispute what the meaning of is is, then a vegan can dispute what the meaning of real bacon is.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I guess she went for the criminal charges so that it could make it easy to win the civil suit. The vegan should find a legal way to get felony expunged or reduced to misdemeanor so she can have a life. The loss of scholarship sucks. Kind of wild that food tampering is a felony since she had no ill intent. Maybe her lawyer could have done something to reduce it to a misdemeanor since the vegan was more dumbass than reckless. I dont think you can get a felony expunged but if anyone should, it is this dumbass vegan. She is of less use to society in this present state. Maybe she should expatriate somewhere than have a felony following her around. 

In the future semi-benevolent dictatorship of Brisketexan, manufacturing or serving vegan bacon will be punishable by 2 days in the stocks, minimum.
Also, at one (but only one, thank God) of the German Christmas markets we visited this year, I saw this abomination....and I didn't even know what to think.....

01f9f548da366caa904fb19dfabf66d7.jpg
I don't even want to know what you had to pull on Jack to get his fruit on a burger.
  • Haha 2

Apparently this happened years ago and the vegan is having a shit life all these years later. The victim had probably been feeling guilty and continued to follow the vegan on Facebook culminating in her reddit post to justify her actions and get rid of her guilt. Story was picked due to the post on "Am I an asshole" reddit.

Really it's the uncle who was the asshole. The 2 girls were just stupid as shit. 

23 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Should you believe the word of someone who can't tell the difference between real bacon and vegan bacon? She probably said something along the lines of "this is bacon" and not "this is real bacon." And if Bill Clinton can dispute what the meaning of is is, then a vegan can dispute what the meaning of real bacon is.

I just assumed that she's like my wife and not much of a cook, so she didn't recognize that it wasn't real bacon.

4 hours ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Isn't bacon essentially ass though?

Why is it that my two favorite things to eat, bacon and ass...sound so horrible when combined?  

Ass Bacon?  That sounds awful.

Bacon Ass, however, is what I just had in the bathroom after my first cheat meal of 2022, a bacon cheeseburger with jalepenos for lunch.  I gotta get to the shart thread.  I think I've left the house maybe 5 times since 2022 began and I've had three shart instances already, despite eating incredibly more healthy than usual (today's lunch notwithstanding).  Must be the body adjusting.  

But I could never adjust to a vegan diet.  I've cut meat way down during Covid-19.  And I enjoy turkey bacon, neg rep if you want to.  But regular bacon?  Giving that up forever?  No fucking way.  Despite knowing dozens of these psychopaths, I still don't get the argument for it.  I know lots of physicians and I've heard plenty of them say, "Gotta cut down on the read meat, gotta cut down on the pork, etc."  But I've honestly never heard/read one state, "No meat of any kind of you'll die."  The ethical discussion is for another thread and it does have a handful of merits to it.  But like the health one, I don't get the wholesale condemnation of meat and dairy.  Is Duck Confit cruel and totally unnecessary?  Absolutely.  Are humanely raised chickens with a proper diet and no drugs a great way to give affordable protein to families who are on incredibly tight food budgets?  Absolutely.  It doesn't have to be binary.  Not every single piece of meat or cheese or fish or honey is an affront to Mother Nature.  It's not all murder and exploitation.  A lot of it is, yes.  I couldn't find a sustainably and responsibly grass-fed steak at a store to grill at home to save my life 15 years ago.  Now, I have to go out of my way by a mile to find a steak that isn't. 

Veganism ain't solving shit except this poor woman's health bills.  Stomachs and Capitalism.  That's what saves us.  

No, but our physiology from our digestive tract to the location of our eyes to the shapes of our hands...we were meant to find meat, kill it, and eat it.  We really started getting cruel and lazy about it starting about the Industrial Revolution.  Big Ag and massive chain supermarkets on interstate highways didn't help matters. 

But stomachs demanded meat, but done more sustainably and humanely.  And supply met that with stuff that sure as shit tastes better than the crap from Safeway or Sysco.  Sure it costs a bit more, but over the last decade (Covid notwithstanding), prices have come down markedly, transportation and tracking systems are getting more and more meat to the right places within fresher windows of time.  It's not just farm-to-table high-end restaurants.  Most of my local dives have the list of partners on the back of the menu where my $9 burger and cheese and even the bun come from.  We're finding out, real fast, that you can eat better-tasting meat/dairy/fish for just a slight tick above what you pay for the same slop at Chili's or Albertson's.  And at scale, the prices continue to come down.  I mean, I don't want an intimate relationship with the cattle I am about to eat, but I actually enjoy getting to know how the ranch fed it, raised it, and treated it.  I guess because my FIL is a farmer and cattle rancher, but I like talking with the folks behind the counter or at the Farmer's Market.  I don't the pig's backstory, but I appreciate the efforts they go to.  Having said that, remind me not to bat the head in of the next snapper I catch when my daughter's is behind me.  She hasn't had a bite of fish since she saw that but I was afraid it was gonna jump up and slice her arm with its sharp dorsal.  

The diet our bodies demand is being met by a responsible capitalistic supply of delicious food to where we dine.  Vegans see these large partnerships between dairies and chicken ranges and fisheries and large grocers and restaurant groups and think "sell-outs, giving into the evil corporations and capitalism."  But in reality, at scale like that...they'll do more in one month of orders to curb animal cruelty than 10 years of vegan protests.   

^

mutha fucking this.  Patties and bacon have been tasting boiled or water downed or injected with water or one shit.  For about a year now.  Shit ain’t right.  Everything else tastes the same.  But something is amidst with the meats.  

isn't most of the meat at fast food places soy at this point anyways?

Stupid move on the part of the girl who made the breakfast, but not the kind of stupid that should ruin her whole life and not the kind of stupid that anyone here is completely innocent of. That sucks, although if she refused to pay the hospital bills for the soy allergic person who should have been smart enough to not eat meat prepared by her new vegetarian roommate, I get why it got litigious.

I ordered an impossible burger from Little Darlin before I ever knew what an impossible burger was (thinking that "impossible burger" was just what they had named this particular burger). It's fine but I realized my mistake immediately. Tofu, tempeh, etc can be delicious prepared in ways not meant to disguise what it is, and I've never had fake meat that was convincing in any kind of real way.

The author says she then began panicking because she is highly allergic to soy.

She says Erin began apologizing, but that she was already going into anaphylactic shock.  "Throat closing up, dizziness, the works," the post reads. "My best friend freaks out and calls an ambulance. I had to stay in the hospital for two days."

"...but maybe if touching a nut kills you, you're supposed to die."

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

I'm calling BS. How the fuck she didn't know that was phony meat candy? Not like they look, smell, taste anything alike...

She's dumb enough to either (1) assume that her roommate actually set aside her vegan principles and was handling and preparing real meat bacon, or (2) believe that her vegan roommate was serving some kind of vegan alternative and not understand that meatless alternatives are usually prepared with killer soy.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, South Austin said:

She's dumb enough to either (1) assume that her roommate actually set aside her vegan principles and was handling and preparing real meat bacon, or (2) believe that her vegan roommate was serving some kind of vegan alternative and not understand that meatless alternatives are usually prepared with killer soy.

And also dumb enough to have a death allergy to soy and not tell her roommate. 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

And also dumb enough to have a death allergy to soy and not tell her roommate. 

Definitely this.

Why would you a) live with someone and b) allow someone to cook you food, sight unseen, without explaining an allergy?

Does she go to a restaurant and not tell her server she has an allergy? It's kind of on her to ensure someone cooking her food for her knows she has an allergy. 

• Like 1