Oppenheimer (Nolan)

Parliament

3 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

Who's that one guy... ?

This dildo

Like its protagonist, Oppenheimer is a work in constant conflict with itself, with most of its problems rooted in Nolan’s screenplay.

Full Review | Jul 19, 2023

And also this one:

While Oppenheimer does feature a few truly brilliant moments, they are often overshadowed by the excesses of the narrative, ultimately resulting in a rather tedious viewing experience.

Full Review | Original Score: C+ | Jul 19, 2023

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, mdmost said:

This dildo

Like its protagonist, Oppenheimer is a work in constant conflict with itself, with most of its problems rooted in Nolan’s screenplay.

And also this one:

While Oppenheimer does feature a few truly brilliant moments, they are often overshadowed by the excesses of the narrative, ultimately resulting in a rather tedious viewing experience.

I just went and looked at their review history. Duralde liked fucking Fast X. Take away his reviewing credentials.

• Hook 'Em 2

54 minutes ago, mdmost said:

This dildo

And also this one:

the rush of reviews certainly came from the press screening i attended last night.  it was supposed to be last week but they pushed.  i'm spoilering everything, even though these aren't really "spoilers".

Spoiler

the funny thing is that i would consider the roots of both of those reviews positive, depending on how you look at it.  the subject matter is tedious on the surface, which is why you need someone like nolan to present it to you.  he excels at that. 

my experience was not tedious.  it's a sprawling epic.  it needed to be done this way, and i still feel like they glossed over interesting details for the interest of presentation.

as for the screenplay, i can't imagine what it was like to write it.  there have to be 30+ speaking roles with 12+ lines each.  those are usually brutal to write and impossible to read.  but yeah, he made it work. 

technically, this might be the greatest film i've ever seen in the theater.  that's taking nothing away from the acting or storytelling, but this will win every technical award.  best sounding movie i think i've ever heard.  insane.

and the pacing of this film is nothing short of remarkable.  honestly, it's kind of ruining my productivity today.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

as for my screenplay comment above, when i first interned in 1997 at paramount, i mostly read scripts and wrote coverage.  most people hate that, but i loved it because i already knew i wanted to write, i didn't want to be in production or development.  i read 3-4 scripts a day and copied and brought home dozens more (we were encouraged to do that).  whenever there are a bunch of characters introduced early in a script that all share similar looks, ages, demographics, which is very difficult to keep straight in written form, everyone called it the "hamburger hill" effect.  i still think about that all the time.

also that summer i played golf and got paired with some ucla dudes.  pretty nice and normal, and we all acknowledged that texas would fuck them up later that fall.  glad we did not keep in touch.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 3

33 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

the rush of reviews certainly came from the press screening i attended last night.  it was supposed to be last week but they pushed.  i'm spoilering everything, even though these aren't really "spoilers".

Hide contents

the funny thing is that i would consider the roots of both of those reviews positive, depending on how you look at it.  the subject matter is tedious on the surface, which is why you need someone like nolan to present it to you.  he excels at that. 

my experience was not tedious.  it's a sprawling epic.  it needed to be done this way, and i still feel like they glossed over interesting details for the interest of presentation.

as for the screenplay, i can't imagine what it was like to write it.  there have to be 30+ speaking roles with 12+ lines each.  those are usually brutal to write and impossible to read.  but yeah, he made it work. 

technically, this might be the greatest film i've ever seen in the theater.  that's taking nothing away from the acting or storytelling, but this will win every technical award.  best sounding movie i think i've ever heard.  insane.

and the pacing of this film is nothing short of remarkable.  honestly, it's kind of ruining my productivity today.

Avatar headwear choice checks out.  

52 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

also that summer i played golf and got paired with some ucla dudes.  pretty nice and normal, and we all acknowledged that texas would fuck them up later that fall.  glad we did not keep in touch.

Trigger warning, please!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, tokamak said:

The Barbie thing is very surprising to me. It’s a two hour commercial, for fuck’s sake. 

Have you seen it yet? I feel like this is the furthest from the case since it seems like a very existential movie. Greta Gerwig certainly isn't a director/writer that strikes me as someone who makes a 2 hour commercial. 

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Have you seen it yet? I feel like this is the furthest from the case since it seems like a very existential movie. Greta Gerwig certainly isn't a director/writer that strikes me as someone who makes a 2 hour commercial. 

I haven’t seen it so maybe I’m being unfair. I assume Gerwig has enough skins on the wall to make whatever movie she wants. Don’t see why there’s any reason for said movie to be attached to a massive IP aside from some corporation saying “hey let’s use this to sell a shitload of dolls”. 

33 minutes ago, tokamak said:

I haven’t seen it so maybe I’m being unfair. I assume Gerwig has enough skins on the wall to make whatever movie she wants. Don’t see why there’s any reason for said movie to be attached to a massive IP aside from some corporation saying “hey let’s use this to sell a shitload of dolls”. 

is barbie struggling to sell dolls?

Saw it last night. Incredible. The sound and score were phenomenal.

All the acting was great. I was worried that Matt Damon was going to overact based on the trailer, but he was right in line with the rest.

We went to Los Alamos over spring break because I knew this was coming out. Having just been there and getting a primer on it was extremely helpful.

I'm sure that little museum is overrun this summer.

There will be a lot of well deserved awards from this.

12 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

is barbie struggling to sell dolls?

I literally just a few minutes ago got a spam email from a picture framing company asking me to check out "Barbie-inspired picture frames for [my] Dream House".

Barbie could be a great film. Probably is. Lots of people seem to think so. It's also, at it's core, a commercial exercise. Kudos to Gerwig for pulling it off.

That's enough of my unmitigated cynicism for today. Sorry for fucking up the thread about a completely different movie.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, TexEx15 said:

Going to see it tomorrow at 5 on an EVO EVX screen. Reading reviews on Rotten Tomatoes and man this is being made out to be an epic masterpiece. Very curious if it lives up to its hype. If it does it may very well be an Oscars sweep.

what was the last summer movie to win best picture?  gladiator?

42 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I don't get the Barbie movie hype at all either.  Not that I think that it's going to be bad, and I know the people behind it have made great stuff, but I don't get how it's summer blockbuster material.  

My girlfriend saw it last night and said it was "funny, weird and super feminist, 7 out of 10". So there's that.

Just finished it. Excellent. Makes you think. The tension the test scene builds as you wait for “it” is masterful. 

That said it is way too thought provoking and dense for your average American. Also, helps a lot if you have taken some physics. Not so much for the actual physics but knowing major 20th century contributors to it. 

I'm glad to see it is living up to the billing.  Hopefully it will start the next wave of films celebrating great achievements instead of the standard comic book super hero movies of the last umpteen fucking years.  I don't think there's a big enough market for this type of film to gain super popularity because people are dumb as shit with no attention spans; but it would be nice to get something like this every couple of years instead of once every five or six years.

• Hook 'Em 4

29 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I'm glad to see it is living up to the billing.  Hopefully it will start the next wave of films celebrating great achievements instead of the standard comic book super hero movies of the last umpteen fucking years.  I don't think there's a big enough market for this type of film to gain super popularity because people are dumb as shit with no attention spans; but it would be nice to get something like this every couple of years instead of once every five or six years.

Ehh, the problem too is that most filmmakers aren't capable of handling this kind of material well.

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Ehh, the problem too is that most filmmakers aren't capable of handling this kind of material well.

It should be the easiest kind of film to make.  Shit has already happened, there's tons of footage already shot so you know what plays to people's feels, plenty of documentation, books, to provide the filler material, and so on and so on.  I stand by my original assessment that this type of film doesn't come along very often because most people are total idiots and don't want to be bothered with stuff that is more complex than a TickTok video.

4 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

it’s more about the director than the subject matter. 

• Like 1