Oppenheimer (Nolan)

Parliament

Early reviews are spectacular: https://variety.com/2023/film/news/oppenheimer-first-reactions-christopher-nolan-praise-overlong-1235665940/

Universal Pictures has finally unveiled Christopher Nolan’s atomic bomb epic “Oppenheimer” at a world premiere event in Paris. First reactions to the nearly three-hour drama are pouring in and are strong across the board, with the film being called a “spectacular achievement” and “audacious.”

Writing for The Los Angeles Times, former critic Kenneth Turan hailed “Oppenheimer” as “arguably Nolan’s most impressive work yet in the way it combines his acknowledged visual mastery with one of the deepest character dives in recent American cinema.”

Matt Maytum, deputy editor of Total Film, said Nolan’s latest left him “stunned,” adding, “[It’s] a character study on the grandest scale, with a sublime central performance by Cillian Murphy. An epic historical drama but with a distinctly Nolan sensibility: the tension, structure, sense of scale, startling sound design, remarkable visuals. Wow.”

Associated Press film writer Lindsey Bahr called the movie “a spectacular achievement in its truthful, concise adaptation, inventive storytelling and nuanced performances from Cillian Murphy, Emily Blunt, Robert Downey Jr., Matt Damon and the many, many others involved.”

“Totally absorbed in ‘Oppenheimer,’ a dense, talkie, tense film partly about the bomb, mostly about how doomed we are,” The Sunday Times writer Jonathan Dean posted. “Happy summer! Murphy is good, but the support essential: Damon, Downey Jr & Ehrenreich even bring gags. An audacious, inventive, complex film to rattle its audience.”

“Oppenheimer,” based on the 2005 book “American Prometheus” by Kai Bird and Martin J. Sherwin, tracks the creation of the atomic bomb during World War II through the eyes of theoretical physicist and Manhattan Project leader J. Robert Oppenheimer. The director’s longtime collaborator Cillian Murphy gets his first leading turn in a Nolan tentpole thanks to “Oppenheimer,” which also stars Matt Damon as Manhattan Project director Gen. Leslie Groves Jr. and Robert Downey Jr. as Lewis Strauss, a founding commissioner of the U.S. Atomic Energy Commission. Emily Blunt, Florence Pugh, Benny Safdie, Michael Angarano, Josh Hartnett, Rami Malek and more also star.

Bird previously raved about Nolan’s “Oppenheimer” adaptation during a conversation at the Institute for Advanced Study last month.

“I am, at the moment, stunned and emotionally recovering from having seen it,” Bird said. “I think it is going to be a stunning artistic achievement, and I have hopes it will actually stimulate a national, even global conversation about the issues that Oppenheimer was desperate to speak out about — about how to live in the atomic age, how to live with the bomb and about McCarthyism — what it means to be a patriot, and what is the role for a scientist in a society drenched with technology and science, to speak out about public issues.”

Notably, “Oppenheimer” is Nolan’s first R-rated release since 2002’s “Insomnia.” It also marks his first collaboration with Universal Pictures following his exit from Warner Bros., where he spent over a decade helming films such as “Interstellar,” “Inception” and his “Dark Knight” trilogy.

“Oppenheimer” opens in theaters nationwide July 21 from Universal Pictures.

• Hook 'Em 3

...add Killers of the Flower Moon, Drive Away Dolls, Napoleon, Dune 2, new stuff from Fincher and Taika Waititi... this whole year feels like Hollywood is finally getting back in the (non-comic book) groove post-pandemic! 

must be all the adrenochrome 🤔😜

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 2

2 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I know I will be seeing two movies that weekend.  Saturday is Barbie, Sunday is Oppenheimer.  I know a lot of folks might be doing the same thing.  We are getting a lot of good movies this summer.  

You think Barbie is gonna be good?  What am I missing?

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

Culture and sophistication? Its the same reason people think Oppenheimer is going to be  good, look at the history of the people involved in creating it

Edited by Michael Knight
  • Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, austingirl said:

I wasn't into the Barbie movie at all till I learned it was helmed by Greta Gerwig and Noah Baumbach. I like them so I'll give it a shot. Maybe just when it comes out on streaming, but still.

if you dress up like a barbie, post pics. thanks

• Haha 1

On 7/9/2023 at 6:03 PM, Texzilla58 said:

This is a story better told in a 8-10 EP miniseries on HBO. So much complexity and intrigue, and I hope it doesn’t take a revisionist stance in its historical purview or try to refashion history thru a 2023 lens.

this story has three legs - us making the bomb against a hard timeline / germany's failure with the bomb / japan digging in and vowing to never surrender <<< this is your mini series. fourth story - russia stealing all the german research for their bomb program 

On 7/12/2023 at 1:53 PM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I know I will be seeing two movies that weekend.  Saturday is Barbie, Sunday is Oppenheimer.  I know a lot of folks might be doing the same thing.  We are getting a lot of good movies this summer.  

Were you able to get tix at the Lincoln center 70mm imax? It’s basically sold out for the first 2 weeks, I waited way too long apparently.

That cast...I've seen some movies with some of these actors

Cillian Murphy
Florence Pugh
Robert Downey Jr
Emily Blunt
Jack Quaid
Matt Damon
Rami Malek
Josh Peck
Tom Conti
David Dastmalchian
Josh Hartnett
Gary Oldman
Casey Affleck
Sadie Stratton
Gustaf Skarsgard (the other Skarsgard kid)
Kenneth Branagh
Jason Clarke
Alden Ehrenreich
Matthew Modine
Tony Goldwyn
Scott Grimes
Robert Pugh
Louise Lombard

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Cillian Murphy
Florence Pugh
Robert Downey Jr
Emily Blunt
Jack Quaid
Matt Damon
Rami Malek
Josh Peck
Tom Conti
David Dastmalchian
Josh Hartnett
Gary Oldman
Casey Affleck
Sadie Stratton
Kenneth Branagh
Jason Clarke
Alden Ehrenreich
Matthew Modine
Tony Goldwyn
Scott Grimes
Robert Pugh
Louise Lombard

TIL there's a third Skarsgard kid.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Cillian Murphy
Florence Pugh
Robert Downey Jr
Emily Blunt
Jack Quaid
Matt Damon
Rami Malek
Josh Peck
Tom Conti
David Dastmalchian
Josh Hartnett
Gary Oldman
Casey Affleck
Sadie Stratton
Kenneth Branagh
Jason Clarke
Alden Ehrenreich
Matthew Modine
Tony Goldwyn
Scott Grimes
Robert Pugh
Louise Lombard

I mean his last several have had ridiculous casts.

Inception:

DiCaprio

Gordon Levitt

Hardy

Ellen/Elliot Page

Murphy

Cotillard

Watanabe

Caine

Tom Berenger

Pete Postlewaithe

TDKR:

Bale

Gordon-Levitt

Cotillard

Caine

Hathaway

Oldman

Freeman

Murphy

Ben Mendelsohn 

Interstellar:

McConaughey

Chastain

Hathaway

Chalamet 

Lithgow

Caine

Damon

Casey Affleck

Wes Bentley

Topher Grace

Dunkirk:

Harry Styles

Murphy

Branagh

Hardy

Mark Rylance

Barry Keoghan

Tenet wasn't that star-studded but he still managed to snag John David Washington and Pattinson.

He seems to pretty much get whoever he wants. Maybe not Scorcesse level but it's pretty damn close. 

Edit: I think Interstellar is the other one that's just absurd. Caine is obviously in all of his stuff but Lithgow is another acting legend. Then you have five absolute mega-stars - like AAA listers - in McConaughey, Chastain, Hathaway, Damon and Chalamet (granted Chalamet wasn't that yet in 2014). Then another really solid A list guy in Casey Affleck, Bentley who's been pretty big since and Topher Grace tacked on. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Drool 1

4 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Were you able to get tix at the Lincoln center 70mm imax? It’s basically sold out for the first 2 weeks, I waited way too long apparently.

I'm going to see it at the Village East 70mm screen.  Yeah, Lincoln Center was nuts.  I'm seeing MI 7 there Sunday AM, but all Oppenheimer was sold out.  

• Hook 'Em 2

If this is the same cunt that made Dunkirk, his film making rights should be permanently revoked. 

That movie was 100% dogshit.   He fucking sucks.  He could make 10 of "The Godfather" and it wouldn't make up for Dunkirk.

Edited by Gil Bang
  • Fuck You 2

24 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

If this is the same cunt that made Dunkirk, his film making rights should be permanently revoked. 

That movie was 100% dogshit.   He fucking sucks.  He could make 10 of "The Godfather" and it wouldn't make up for Dunkirk.

um-ok.gif

41 minutes ago, tchookem said:

So what's the verdict on best way to see this movie? Do I need to make the trek to Bob Bullock and see it there, or are the other places going to be "just as good"?

If it’s a good or great movie, the format you see it in shouldn’t negate that (assuming it’s not on your phone or something). But a premium format can certainly elevate the experience.

Movies filmed specifically for IMAX and available at a theater like Bullock are not that common and should be taken advantage of if you can. I’ve got tix for the 27th there. Wish I could see it sooner but most if not all of the screenings prior to that are sold out.

Edited by LonghornSean

11 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

Dunkirk was excellent

• Hook 'Em 3

13 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

this post is unnecessary; we already know you're a fucking idiot.

• Haha 4

On 7/12/2023 at 2:54 PM, Biff Tannen said:

Movie might be stupid but I will watch anything that Greta Gerwig directs. Loved all her past films. 

Edited by YChang

16 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with this take.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

Jagsfan.gif

17 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

Do you only know Christopher Nolan from Tenet? 

This would be like if a new Spielberg movie was coming out and someone said "Is this the same cunt that made 1941??". 

• Haha 1