Kansas V. Texas - Game Thread

Wally Pryor

1 minute ago, Napoleon said:

Jonestown had nothing on College Station. 

A state-funded cult indoctrination facility with a very strong Mississippi Burning vibe. An Austrian-born failed artist from the late-1800s to mid-1900s would be proud of the Corps. 

It's why I always refer to it as Petticoat Jonestown.  

• Hook 'Em 2

One of my favorite memories as a dumb ass 15 year old.  One good juke move and was right past some corp douchebag and in the center of the field with the players. The key was to be in the first wave before the corp reinforcements made it out of the stands to "protect the field".   My dad watched the mayhem from the stands and was convinced I was knocked out or arrested when I didn't show back up for 30 minutes.   Good times indeed.

Damnit. I was one step away from hitting the turf when a corp dude and I had a cordial discussion.

Still regret to this day I wasn’t smart enough to get myself on the field for the celebration.

On 2/6/2022 at 5:58 PM, Wally Pryor said:

For starters. Texas opens at -1.5.

Onward.

I had concerns and voiced them, yet you led us to victory, sir. Posrep.

@RockyMountainHighHorn: You're still dangerous, but you can start my game threads anytime.

@Wally Pryor: Bullshit, you can start mine.

Edited by Braff Zacklin
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886c6ogk26hthe53fdlpd

thats how you do it. i'll never forget the night that CP3 and top 5 Wake Forest came to town, and the freshman from North Carolina (one Anthony Leon Tucker) stole the show and led Texas to an upset win. The story line, the atmosphere- it was the same day that both Ced and DJ announced that they would returning to Texas to "make sure that bitch Aaron Rodgers never sniffs the Rose Bowl" (their words), and both guys were in the building. yup, i'll never forget that night, for those reasons, and because, oh yeah, because some milquetoast fucking 50 year old loser Texas fan wouldn't stop telling my date and me to sit down, to the point where he went and got an usher who made us sit down. fuck that guy forever. people like him are the absolute worst.

I Dont Believe You Will Ferrell GIF

Did we get fined for storming the court?

Arkansas Fined For Competition Area Policy Violation

2 hours ago
SEC Staff
PHOTO: PHIL ELLSWORTH | ESPN IMAGES

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (February 9, 2022) - The Southeastern Conference announced today that the University of Arkansas will be fined for a violation of the league's access to competition area policy, due to fans entering the court following its men's basketball game against Auburn University on February 8.

Arkansas will incur a fine of $250,000 for a third offense under the league's access to competition area policy. Arkansas was last fined for a violation following its football game against Texas in September.

Fines levied against schools for violation of the access to competition area policy are deposited into the SEC Post-Graduate Scholarship Fund.

The policy states that "access to competition areas shall be limited to participating student-athletes, coaches, officials, support personnel and properly-credentialed individuals at all times. For the safety of participants and spectators alike, at no time before, during or after a contest shall spectators be permitted to enter the competition area. It is the responsibility of each member institution to implement procedures to ensure compliance with this policy."

Financial penalties, which were increased by action taken during the 2015 SEC Spring Meetings, are imposed for violations in all sports sponsored by the Conference. Institutional penalties range from $50,000 for a first offense to fines of up to $100,000 for a second offense and up to $250,000 for a third and subsequent offenses. The policy was originally adopted in 2004.

35 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Did we get fined for storming the court?

Arkansas Fined For Competition Area Policy Violation

2 hours ago
SEC Staff
PHOTO: PHIL ELLSWORTH | ESPN IMAGES

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (February 9, 2022) - The Southeastern Conference announced today that the University of Arkansas will be fined for a violation of the league's access to competition area policy, due to fans entering the court following its men's basketball game against Auburn University on February 8.

Arkansas will incur a fine of $250,000 for a third offense under the league's access to competition area policy. Arkansas was last fined for a violation following its football game against Texas in September.

Fines levied against schools for violation of the access to competition area policy are deposited into the SEC Post-Graduate Scholarship Fund.

The policy states that "access to competition areas shall be limited to participating student-athletes, coaches, officials, support personnel and properly-credentialed individuals at all times. For the safety of participants and spectators alike, at no time before, during or after a contest shall spectators be permitted to enter the competition area. It is the responsibility of each member institution to implement procedures to ensure compliance with this policy."

Financial penalties, which were increased by action taken during the 2015 SEC Spring Meetings, are imposed for violations in all sports sponsored by the Conference. Institutional penalties range from $50,000 for a first offense to fines of up to $100,000 for a second offense and up to $250,000 for a third and subsequent offenses. The policy was originally adopted in 2004.

No, it's a conference by conference thing. Big 10 had a rule about it. I think the Pac 12 might too, but not sure. I know the Big 12 doesn't, though.

Would have been worth it, though.

Also, to be fair, it was a bit of a slow rolling court storm. Honestly, so fun to see as a fan. I feel very vindicated after that win. Not about the basketball team, although that's been terrific. But about the fan base and about the good Chris Beard has done energizing everyone already. This is going to be so special guys. I can hardly wait to watch it all. This is just a warmup. Next year is going to blow the roof off. 

• Hook 'Em 7

15 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Yes, we were fined

Well, I was wrong. I wonder if that was for the court storming specifically, or for not getting the KU players off the court. Bill Self noted that the security people didn’t appear to have any plan in place, showing indecision as to the best path to get them off the court. Remy Martin was cited as aggravating his knee “bone bruise” from being inadvertently bumped by a fan. Bill Self didn’t appear to make a big deal out of it when he made the comments, though. 

In any case, as a fan it felt like a moment well worth $25k. My guess is that it will be harder to do in the future. I hope it doesn’t impact a Chris Beard inviting the students on the court immediately following the game to sing the eyes, but it probably will. 

9 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

to be fair to our security, they are probably out of practice.   you don't get a stage rush at "Sesame Street Live!"

My high school basketball team cleaned up the Erwin Center one year after Sesame Street Live to earn money for new Nikes for the team. I'm still stunned by the number of people who just threw dirty diapers on the floor. 

• Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, Deej said:

My high school basketball team cleaned up the Erwin Center one year after Sesame Street Live to earn money for new Nikes for the team. I'm still stunned by the number of people who just threw dirty diapers on the floor. 

Fucking 'Merica bitches!

17 minutes ago, Hammerin Hank said:

Rewatching the game after being there in person on Monday. I new it was loud, but I wasn’t sure if that would come through on tv. It definitely did. I don’t think I’ve heard it that loud at the Erwin Center on tv before. Also, Jay Bilas pisses me off with some of his opinions about fouls

Bilas is already bitching about the Big 12's defense violating "freedom of movement", gotta get the narrative out there in case Dook has to face a Big 12 team in the tourney.

I laughed when they talked about the cylinder and freedom of movement whatever year that was.  Bilas kept harping on it constantly.  It was gone the next year and fucking Dook was the worst violator of it.

tldr: Fuck Bilas in his ass

• Rage+1 1

8 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Bilas is already bitching about the Big 12's defense violating "freedom of movement", gotta get the narrative out there in case Dook has to face a Big 12 team in the tourney.

I laughed when they talked about the cylinder and freedom of movement whatever year that was.  Bilas kept harping on it constantly.  It was gone the next year and fucking Dook was the worst violator of it.

3:27 left and I just heard his little speech about freedom of movement lol

57 minutes ago, kingkoopa6 said:

lol. Just remembered that ugly beautiful 3 Mitchell made at end. 
i was like oh no baby what is you doin?!!!! To.. fuck yea boy! Way to hit that !! Banks open bitches !

I would say we got exceptionally lucky with that except KU had just had an errant pass get tipped into the basket and an air ball turn into an easy dunk for them in the previous possessions. 

2 hours ago, dcar00 said:

Bilas is already bitching about the Big 12's defense violating "freedom of movement"

It's a much better product when they just let teams play. 

See the OU and Tech game tonight with a foul every two seconds. I thought the "freedom of movement" rule would help produce a better product but it's done the exact opposite. Nobody wants to watch college basketball teams brick FTs for 20 minutes. 

I thought the KU and Texas game was well officiated because they let both teams play. 

• Hook 'Em 2

the instance where Mitchell swatted someone's shit as cleanly as possible, and yet Bilas would not back off the idea that it was an obvious foul was particularly stupid. keep in mind, it *never* looked like a foul.

live: "that's an obvious foul."

first replay: "that is a foul every time, i don't know what he's complaining about."

second replay: "it's a foul."

third replay, perfect view, slow motion, irrefutably showing that it wasn't a foul: *ten seconds of radio silence*

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

16 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

the instance where Mitchell swatted someone's shit as cleanly as possible, and yet Bilas would not back off the idea that it was an obvious foul was particularly stupid. keep in mind, it *never* looked like a foul.

first replay: "that is a foul every time, i don't know what he's complaining about."

third replay, perfect view, slow motion, irrefutably showing that it wasn't a foul: *ten seconds of radio silence*

That was the best. Bilas is such a dumbass. I couldn’t believe he was saying it was an obvious foul at first. 

12 hours ago, dcar00 said:

2 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

There was a play where the KU guy tripped over his own feet trying to lay it up and got his shot swatted. 

Bilas: "OH THAT'S A FOUL!!!" 

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

64plx0.gif

5 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

Almost like the replay guys don't like him or something. 

17 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

It's a much better product when they just let teams play. 

See the OU and Tech game tonight with a foul every two seconds. I thought the "freedom of movement" rule would help produce a better product but it's done the exact opposite. Nobody wants to watch college basketball teams brick FTs for 20 minutes. 

I thought the KU and Texas game was well officiated because they let both teams play. 

Exactly. College basketball as a whole has trouble scoring the basketball consistently and shooting FTs consistently. There is no reason to officiate any tighter. It will just lead to the same lousy offenses just more FTs. Fuck that.

13 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Exactly. College basketball as a whole has trouble scoring the basketball consistently and shooting FTs consistently. There is no reason to officiate any tighter. It will just lead to the same lousy offenses just more FTs. Fuck that.

For the first time in forever this might work to our advantage. We’re shooting 77% for the year which is basically NBA-level…