NFL MVP is a bigger joke than the Heisman

ztejas

Just saw that Rodgers is the 9th straight QB to win NFL MVP.

What are we doing here? Award needs to be split up or criteria needs to be altered. Obviously quarterback is the most impactful position. There needs to be a separate award for whoever elevated themselves the most above their position. i.e who was the best player in the league. That wasn't Rodgers. 

I'm not sure how to restructure it but this shit is stupid. There are years where the best QB was actually the best player but this year wasn't one of them.

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

The awards are for the regular season and are not announced until a few days before the Super Bowl. When a player face-plants in the playoffs, as Rodgers is wont to do these days, getting named league MVP a couple weeks later is bizarre. At least the Heisman is given immediately after the regular season ends before any bowl games are played.

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

4 mvp awards now for the guy who doesn’t throw interceptions which is his only remarkable trait lol. Fuck the nfl. Derek Henry rushed for 2k yards last year with 17 td’s on the ground in a predominantly pass happy league. How is that not the mvp? 

I would rather see that award go to the TItan's OL, than Henry. Hard to get excited, when his replacement matched his yards per carry. That is this year, but it shows you how well they block. He had 954 rushing yards BEFORE contact and 1074 after. Give a big man time to get going and he will do damage.

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1

51 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Shit, Rodgers wasn't even Top 10 in Approximate Value this season.

Screen Shot 2022-02-11 at 7.31.47 AM.png

I mean... from the creater of AV:

If one player is a 16 and another is a 14, we can't be very confident that the 16AV player actually had a better season than the 14AV player.

Jalen Hurts anywhere inside top-200 is a tough look for that metric

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

I mean... from the creater of AV:
If one player is a 16 and another is a 14, we can't be very confident that the 16AV player actually had a better season than the 14AV player.

Jalen Hurts anywhere inside top-200 is a tough look for that metric

Agreed. He sticks out like a sore thumb on that Top 10 for sure. The rest of it looks pretty good, though.

2 hours ago, Codaxx said:

I would rather see that award go to the TItan's OL, than Henry. Hard to get excited, when his replacement matched his yards per carry. That is this year, but it shows you how well they block. He had 954 rushing yards BEFORE contact and 1074 after. Give a big man time to get going and he will do damage.

https://mobile.twitter.com/TDavenport_NFL/status/1450267981217509379?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1450267981217509379|twgr^|twcon^s1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fd-4341256982055323755.ampproject.net%2F2201262038001%2Fframe.html

Derek Henry is a freak and not your typical “big man”, he’s running very fast from his first couple steps. He faces 8 man boxes often and let’s be honest here in that d’onta foreman doesn’t scare anybody. Lol. 

9 hours ago, ztejas said:

Just saw that Rodgers is the 9th straight QB to win NFL MVP.

What are we doing here? Award needs to be split up or criteria needs to be altered. Obviously quarterback is the most impactful position. There needs to be a separate award for whoever elevated themselves the most above their position. i.e who was the best player in the league. That wasn't Rodgers. 

I'm not sure how to restructure it but this shit is stupid. There are years where the best QB was actually the best player but this year wasn't one of them.

there is no difference in rodgers, mahomes, brady, or allen. then you have jonathan taylor who not only leads the league in TDs, but is something like 500+ rushing yards ahead of the no.2 guy in the league. and that was with 3/5 of his nadas O-line missing significant time. of course he can't win it, because his pussy ass team couldn't even beat the Jaguars to get into the playoffs. still, i would have rather seen someone like Taylor win it than another QB who isn't really any better or more of a winner than plenty others at his position. i wouldn't mind Cooper Kupp either, although guys like JJ, Tyreek, Adams, Deebo, etc all had amazing seasons themselves.

Edited by shadow_operative

38 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

there is no difference in rodgers, mahomes, brady, or allen. then you have jonathan taylor who not only leads the league in TDs, but is something like 500+ rushing yards ahead of the no.2 guy in the league. and that was with 3/5 of his nadas O-line missing significant time. of course he can't win it, because his pussy ass team couldn't even beat the Jaguars to get into the playoffs. still, i would have rather seen someone like Taylor win it than another QB who isn't really any better or more of a winner than plenty others at his position. i wouldn't mind Cooper Kupp either, although guys like JJ, Tyreek, Adams, Deebo, etc all had amazing seasons themselves.

IF anyone deserves it on offense it is Cooper Kupp and I dont think it is even close. Almost 2,000 yards and he is probably the best blocking WR in the game. Rams actually pull him into a hole as a lead blocker. Rams are in deep shit without Kupp. I would say Micah Parsons deserves some votes. Cowboys are complete dogshit without him. He is the biggest reason that defense went from historically shit, to the main reason the Cowboys made the playoffs. 

• Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

IF anyone deserves it on offense it is Cooper Kupp and I dont think it is even close. Almost 2,000 yards and he is probably the best blocking WR in the game. Rams actually pull him into a hole as a lead blocker. Rams are in deep shit without Kupp. I would say Micah Parsons deserves some votes. Cowboys are complete dogshit without him. He is the biggest reason that defense went from historically shit, to the main reason the Cowboys made the playoffs. 

the Niners probably don't make the playoffs without Deebo Samuel. and again, while Cupp had a spectacular season, his performance relative to his peers doesn't come close to what JT accomplished, again, behind a subpar O line on a team where he was the sole focus of every defense they played.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

the WR position in the NFL is probably the most loaded position in all of sports. it's insane how deep the talent goes. 

Total Yards

Taylor - 2,171

Kupp- 1,993

Deebo- 1,845

The difference I would say between them is the Rams and the 49ers would have to make major changes to their offense if they lost Kupp or Deebo. I wouldnt say that about the Colts. That is also why QBs win the award all the time. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, WinningIsHard said:

4 mvp awards now for the guy who doesn’t throw interceptions which is his only remarkable trait lol. Fuck the nfl. Derek Henry rushed for 2k yards last year with 17 td’s on the ground in a predominantly pass happy league. How is that not the mvp? 

Devils' advocate- his team was the 1 Seed without having him for 9 games in 2021.

Would be great if he went to Denver and rode off into the sunset like Elway and Manning. Somehow the Broncos are just easy to root for. 

The Packers are dipshits for wasting a 1st round pick on his backup instead of getting him more weapons. 

2 hours ago, Codaxx said:

Total Yards

Taylor - 2,171

Kupp- 1,993

Deebo- 1,845

The difference I would say between them is the Rams and the 49ers would have to make major changes to their offense if they lost Kupp or Deebo. I wouldnt say that about the Colts. That is also why QBs win the award all the time. 

Deebo is really good. He was playing Running back and receiver all the time. He definitely deserved to be in the conversation and I fucking hate the 49ers.

• Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

Derek Henry played all 16 games in 2020 when he should have been the mvp lol. The 2021 mvp should have been Tom Brady. 

That wasn’t the point. If he was really the MVP the team should have fallen off without him. They didn’t miss a beat 

Deebo is really good. He was playing Running back and receiver all the time. He definitely deserved to be in the conversation and I fucking hate the 49ers.

The 49ers were 3-5. Then they put Deebo in the backfield or at least started making a concerted effort to get him involved in the run game. Then went 9-3.

That’s MVP type results.

Now the Chiefs beat GB because Rodgers didn’t play highlighting the need to have him play. It also highlighted the buffoonery. So there’s probably some justification there.

Deebos a unique dude on the field. Kinda wish some dudes would go beyond QB in their voting.
  • Like 1

I would have voted for Deebo Samuel, goes far beyond stats. The Niners are shit without what he did for them.  Cooper Kupp's monster season was also worth consideration. He took a major step and became a much stronger player, amazing receiving year.

Rodgers had a good year, only 4 picks is pretty nuts, but there are a bunch of qbs that have a claim, and it's always lazy to pick a qb.

7 hours ago, WinningIsHard said:

Derek Henry played all 16 games in 2020 when he should have been the mvp lol. The 2021 mvp should have been Tom Brady. 

why? when he was down to 2 all-pro level receiving threats instead of his standard 4 and no rb his team managed 0 points against NO. Then they were dragged into scoring points via turnover by the Rams, but it had little to do with the quality of the qb play

Edited by TommyGufano
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

why? when he was down to 2 all-pro level receiving threats instead of his standard 4 and no rb his team managed 0 points against NO. Then they were dragged into scoring points via turnover by the Rams, but it had little to do with the quality of the qb play

to elaborate a tiny bit: When Roders was removed from GB for a week, they looked like boiled cat shit. And when GB's top 4 receiving threats were out against a then-undefeated Cardinals team, they still won despite some sketchy officiating that went against GB.

Meanwhile, TB12's efficacy basically relied on him playing with a STACKED deck

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, TommyGufano said:

to elaborate a tiny bit: When Roders was removed from GB for a week, they looked like boiled cat shit. And when GB's top 4 receiving threats were out against a then-undefeated Cardinals team, they still won despite some sketchy officiating that went against GB.

Meanwhile, TB12's efficacy basically relied on him playing with a STACKED deck

Not to mention playing the whole season behind a patchwork OL.

I think there are good arguments for players other than a QB (Samuel, Kupp, Taylor). MVP has definitely become too QB-centric. But the arguments for a QB other than Rodgers aren’t as strong.

Edited by formermav43
  • Hook 'Em 1

I think there are good arguments for players other than a QB (Samuel, Kupp, Taylor). MVP has definitely become too QB-centric. But the arguments for a QB other than Rodgers aren’t as strong.

And Brady’s Oline was nowhere near a patchwork unit. Hardly any missed starts. They did get banged up in the playoffs.

Thing is that statistically the non-QB group you reference had incredible years. Yet they still couldn’t wrestle it away from the QB. Hard to imagine a WR ever having a better year and certainly not substantially better.

You could probably throw Watt and Donald in the mix too.

9 hours ago, TommyGufano said:

Packers scored 3 points and Aaron Rodgers was 15/28 130 yards, 0 Td’s and 2 Int’s against that same NO team. Possibly his last game as a packer, in lambeau mind you, he didn’t throw a TD pass against the 49’ers. This is all while having Davante Adams who is practically impossible to guard a whole game and a bad ass Offensive coach in Lafleur. Fuck Aaron Rodgers. 

4 hours ago, formermav43 said:

Agree.

2 hours ago, WinningIsHard said:

Packers scored 3 points and Aaron Rodgers was 15/28 130 yards, 0 Td’s and 2 Int’s against that same NO team. Possibly his last game as a packer, in lambeau mind you, he didn’t throw a TD pass against the 49’ers. This is all while having Davante Adams who is practically impossible to guard a whole game and a bad ass Offensive coach in Lafleur. Fuck Aaron Rodgers. 

MVP votes are already in before the playoffs. Most of that is completely irrelevant.