Star Wars - Ahsoka

UT_OB1

Lars Mikkelsen is perfect as Thrawn. Master class in Rebels and here with live action Ahsoka. The oni gold style faced stormtrooper is an aesthetic I’m fully on board with. Give me more samurai elements in Star Wars!

I was like Thrawn?!?

AND a Roman Calvary mask?!?

AND Ronin bandits?!?

AND Ezra?!?

Yes please!

And some teenage mutant ninja rocks!
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

Baylon Skoll speech

giphy.gif

That speech was great - question as to his motive. He is a mercenary which would leave one to believe he is amoral and doing it just for money. Obviously, with that speech, his motivation seemed very idealistic, a new “pattern” for current and future events to replace the  existing dynamic. How does Thrawn, the space witches and whatever else that is different in this galaxy (like the purrgil) help reshape the SW galaxy to where he’d like it to go? What does Baylon desire the SW galaxy to become? It seems to me the choice for him is not between Empire and Senate/Republic but some mysterious 3rd way. I have never seen CW or Rebels and am enjoying this series a lot and I also loved Andor, especially Dedra.

Edited by Macklemore

3 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Oh snap apparently the subtitles on the episode called the new stormies "Night Troopers"

The red bands wrapped around the armor of the Nigh Troopers - what’s the significance of that? Was it meant to convey that this is a rag tag outfit with old, defective gear?

Just now, Macklemore said:

The red bands wrapped around the armor of the Nigh Troopers - what’s the significance of that? Was it meant to convey that this is a rag tag outfit with old, defective gear?

I think it was visual storytelling - the armor with the inset gold looked like kintsugi, which is a whole philosophy of damage and repair being an important part of an object's story. I think it's meant  to convey that they've seen some shit vis-a-vis the broken and repaired armor, and that they have formed a close alliance with the Night Mothers through the red wraps on their armor

• Hook 'Em 5

6 minutes ago, Captainant said:

I think it was visual storytelling - the armor with the inset gold looked like kintsugi, which is a whole philosophy of damage and repair being an important part of an object's story. I think it's meant  to convey that they've seen some shit vis-a-vis the broken and repaired armor, and that they have formed a close alliance with the Night Mothers through the red wraps on their armor

I had that same thought last night about kintsugi, love the little details that visually tell a story without having to make it part of the exposition. 

48 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

That speech was great - question as to his motive. He is a mercenary which would leave one to believe he is amoral and doing it just for money. Obviously, with that speech, his motivation seemed very idealistic, a new “pattern” for current and future events to replace the  existing dynamic.

Loved this, too, particularly because Titus Pullo is such a fine actor and it seems like casting him as a character lacking his own agenda would have been such a waste of talent. 

Sabine risked war and societal destruction in order to see Ezra, and then… just agrees to help these ewoks tiny aliens move while refusing to say that she might have witnessed Ahsoka die or that she undid Ezra’s sacrifice. All that to what - die abandoned together? Betrayed the galaxy and had no plan.  

I don’t know. I guess I’m in the minority because that episode didn’t move the needle all that much for me 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Sabine risked war and societal destruction in order to see Ezra, and then… just agrees to help these ewoks tiny aliens move while refusing to say that she might have witnessed Ahsoka die or that she undid Ezra’s sacrifice. All that to what - die abandoned together? Betrayed the galaxy and had no plan.  

I don’t know. I guess I’m in the minority because that episode didn’t move the needle all that much for me 

He’s gonna be pissed at what she did and that she kept it from him initially 

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah this was also used with Kylo putting his mask back together.

46 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

I assumed some nerd had this info and found this in 10 seconds...

https://gffa.tumblr.com/post/615302478869757952/star-wars-hyperspace-travel-times-as-a

Hyperspace travel is never late, nor is it early.  It always arrives precisely when the plot intended. 

Animated GIF

Edited by UT_OB1
  • Haha 3

That speech was great - question as to his motive. He is a mercenary which would leave one to believe he is amoral and doing it just for money. Obviously, with that speech, his motivation seemed very idealistic, a new “pattern” for current and future events to replace the  existing dynamic. How does Thrawn, the space witches and whatever else that is different in this galaxy (like the purrgil) help reshape the SW galaxy to where he’d like it to go? What does Baylon desire the SW galaxy to become? It seems to me the choice for him is not between Empire and Senate/Republic but some mysterious 3rd way. I have never seen CW or Rebels and am enjoying this series a lot and I also loved Andor, especially Dedra.

Yeah we’ve had Ronin in most “heroic” shapes and forms. We’ve had fallen Jedi and sith.

The games have seen gray Jedi and cloned dark Jedi.

I don’t think we’ve seen one like this, Baylan and Hati are chasing the sun and the moon, they catch them at ragnorok by Norse legend.

He seems to be jaded with the Jedi thanks to both Anakin and Palp, so he sees the flaws in both the religious and the state. He definitely does not like dealing with nightsisters.

I can’t figure out where he wants to go but he acts like he knows Thrawn isn’t the answer and neither is the new republic, nor is a revived Jedi academy.

It sucks so bad that Stevenson passed away. This is a new look at a force wielding villain
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

The sisters could sense Jedi or force on Sabine and they could feel Ashoka coming to them, but didn’t sense Sabine coming (smaller force presence?) and seemed surprised when they heard that baylon was Jedi. 

that is to say I’m confused by them thus far. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Can't fucking wait to see what happens next.

The new trilogy has really fucked up the potential of where this story can lead.  Maybe keep this show in this other galaxy until the new trilogy timeline is over and then Thrawn makes his return to the known galaxy. I think the issue is that there's around 30 years in SW years between this show and the end of The Rise of Skywalker.

Edited by CooterBrown
  • Rage+1 1

22 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

The new trilogy has really fucked up the potential of where this story can lead.  Maybe keep this show in this other galaxy until the new trilogy timeline is over and then Thrawn makes his return to the known galaxy. I think the issue is that there's around 30 years in SW years between this show and the end of The Rise of Skywalker.

I’m okay pretending the new trilogy was a Bob Newhart dream.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

I mean... meh?

There's quite a bit of wood to chop in between where we are now (a few years after the Battle of Endor) and where we land in the new trilogy (several decades later).

Think of all the amazing stories that were packed into Clone Wars and Rebels - and each of those series only spanned a few years in the "in-universe" time frame.

I'm not even thinking/caring about the movies - I just want cool/good/new Star Wars stories and Filoni is fucking delivering so I'm just happy about that. :) 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I was thinking koopa troopa 

4 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

So resurrected by the night sisters?

Spoilers (you have been warned).

Spoiler

Thrawn: "During our exile, our numbers have dwindled."

Also Thrawn: "Great Mothers, I shall once again require the aid of your dark magick."

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

This. I wonder how Filoni is going to be boxed in by the fucking shitstain of the recent trilogy. Do they recon the trilogy and pretend it didn't happen? Please fucking gawd make it so. 

From the leaks that I read, if even some of it is true, Filoni has some pretty great ideas on where he could take the whole Thrawn story line. It would suck for all of that to happen and then all end because of previous works of charlatans. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Baylan's plan...

Possible leaks/spoilers discussion. You are warned.

Spoiler

When the Purrgils first appeared in Rebels, we all thought it was a bone to throw for the kids. No one could expect them to play this big of a role in the SW universe as they are. So it's pretty clear that Filoni introduces shit with a very specific reason to be revealed later which leads me to the Mortis arc, The Father, Son, and Daughter. We got a very cool and weird reference to how grand the Force is in those 3 eps in CWs. Then we kinda didn't see anything about them again until years later when they appeared as murals which lead to the WBW. BTW, it we very deliberate that Ezra had to manipulate the Daughter's hand to enter the WBW. Hopefully we'll get reasons on that.

In the leaks that I read, it said that the Mortis 3 originated on this same planet, Peridea, that the Night Sisters are exiled to. Yes in the Mortis Arc, the 3 resided at Mortis but it was a choice of the Father to imprison them there as to not affect the real world of their Force balance struggles. The leaks could be true that they are originally from Peridea.

My ponderings. So...could the voice which is calling to Baylan be the Son? If Anakin is the Father, Ashoka is the Daughter, then we don't have a human portrayal of the Son. Could the Son be calling out to Baylan to complete his original plan in the Mortis arc, which was to escape Mortis into the real world? But wait, Anakin killed the Son. Did he though? The Mortis Gods could only be killed by the Dagger of Mortis. The Daugher was stabbed by the Son with the Dagger and she gave her remaining life force to Ahsoka. The Father killed himself with the Dagger. As the Son and Father embraced, Anakin stabbed both the Son and Father with his light saber supposedly killing the Son. BUT, the Son cannot be killed unless with the Dagger.

Also when asked by Anakin upon meeting the Son if he was a Sith, the Son replied that he was both was and was not. This would jibe with Baylan's light saber being orange and not Sith Red. 

• Like 1
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

Thrawn asks for all info on Ahsoka including previous Master. 

So...this will let us know how small of a secret Anakin/Vader was since we learned that Baylon knows. Would he have told Morgan? Did Morgan tell him? It may be easier to list the people who didn't know.

I don't know this for certain, because I didn't read it myself, but I believe I read/saw somewhere that Thrawn figured out/knows that Vader was Anakin Skywalker in one of the new canon novels.

I guess the thing is that he went on some kind of mission with Anakin and Padme during the Clone Wars and then later during the Empire years he was working with Vader and figured it out based on his fighting style and/or things he said or something along the lines... basically Thrawn already knows Vader is/was Anakin.

• Hook 'Em 1

I don't know this for certain, because I didn't read it myself, but I believe I read/saw somewhere that Thrawn figured out/knows that Vader was Anakin Skywalker in one of the new canon novels.
I guess the thing is that he went on some kind of mission with Anakin and Padme during the Clone Wars and then later during the Empire years he was working with Vader and figured it out based on his fighting style and/or things he said or something along the lines... basically Thrawn already knows Vader is/was Anakin.

Thrawn and Vader were tested by Palp. They both knew they both knew and were begrudging allies. Thrawn was a master tactician and met Anakin before he joined the empire, he aided Anakin. Later Palp test them and they don’t kill each other, it weakens their “control” but makes Palps that much more in control.

Your understanding is pretty close
  • Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, oSuJeff97 said:

But Thrawn doesn't know that Ahsoka was Anakin's apprentice - IIRC snips and skyguy was after Thrawn met Anakin and Padme /turbonerd

1 hour ago, Speedtrucker said:

Thrawn and Vader were tested by Palp. They both knew they both knew and were begrudging allies. Thrawn was a master tactician and met Anakin before he joined the empire, he aided Anakin. Later Palp test them and they don’t kill each other, it weakens their “control” but makes Palps that much more in control.

Your understanding is pretty close

Highly suggest reading these novels if anyone is interested in Thrawn as character. His story arc with Anakin, Vader, the Chiss and Eli Vanto are really good and makes Rebels and Ahsoka that much better. The fact that he picked up details about Vader that led him to believe he might be Anakin, and later confirmed is pretty cool. 

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

But Thrawn doesn't know that Ahsoka was Anakin's apprentice - IIRC snips and skyguy was after Thrawn met Anakin and Padme /turbonerd

Correct, but I was responding to the the line from the episode when Thrawn basically told Elsbeth that he wanted a complete run-down on Ashoka, including who her master was…. So I’m assuming she’s gonna know somehow…  In other words, he’s going to find out that Anakin was her master…

9 hours ago, Pig Bellmont said:

the-log-cabin-dick.gif

• Haha 1

Baylon is the most interesting element of the show, and the only one that doesn’t rely heavily on the cask-strength member berry juice they’ve been slinging around lately. I’m genuinely interested in what he’s up to. And we finally saw her blink.

I was also surprised they rolled out Thrawn and Ezra in the same episode. Ship/troopers/Thrawn all looked pretty awesome.

• Hook 'Em 2