Rice @ Texas Series Thread

Horny Bull

20 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Jesus. Texas put up some freakish numbers this weekend. I know, Rice is down. But still.

It's been 1078 days since I've seen a Texas baseball game in person.  Covid/other personal health issues.  I hope they saved some for Corpus Christi on Tuesday.

Can. Not. Fucking. Wait.

• Hook 'Em 4

30 minutes ago, Spaceman_Spiff said:

Figure 1B after Melendez leaves

I’m thinking Kash at 3rd and O’Dowd at short next year. But that’s next year. Kash, O’Dowd and Stehly coming off the bench is deadly. Those 3 are gonna come through in some clutch late inning pinch hit ab’s 

2 hours ago, dcar00 said:

yep, Keith and Greg is perfect.  I can usually deal with Galindo on basketball because there is somewhat continuous action and its 2 hours ish.

He's fucking terrible at basketball too. Too much fanboy, it's insulting to the fanbase. We don't need that rah rah shit in a broadcast.

[PG makes a simple bounce pass to a guy driving for a layup]

Lowell: TEXAS! LOOKING LIKE THE HARLEM GLOBETROTTERS OUT THERE! WOW!

• Hook 'Em 3

25 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Ok now let's go get Corpus Christi!

Melendez may hit 5 homers down there on Tuesday and Wednesday. Guy is going to have an all time great season. 

Can we just sit back and bask in the glory of having guys like Melendez, Kennedy, Daly, faltine, Silas, hodo, with Stehly, Kash and O’Dowd off the bench. No more waiting around for Mark Payton or Kody to get to the plate praying there are runners on. No more needing damn near perfect outings from our starters and bullpen with perfect fielding to have a shot at winning a game 2-1. We’ve finally got it all. 3 great different styled starting pitchers. Arms for days in the bullpen. Elite defense. A bitch of a lineup and a deep bench. Pierce has built a machine 

• Hook 'Em 3

8 minutes ago, TornACL said:

He's fucking terrible at basketball too. Too much fanboy, it's insulting to the fanbase. We don't need that rah rah shit in a broadcast.

The corny nicknames and catch phrases he tries to make a thing are equal parts embarrassing and hilarious in his failure to be cool 

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, TornACL said:

yes I know.  my point is I can deal with it somewhat because the action is fairly continuous and can tune most of it out(while still complaining when he starts the stupid nickname bullshit or trying to make fetch happen).

17 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Haven't caught a minute of baseball so far this season and just noticed the scores from the Rice series. So, uh, what the hell is going on?

I mean we are just three games into the season but Rice is no good and we are the #1 team in the country.

• Hook 'Em 1

I have mentioned this before but Keith M has done some amazing work on his craft. I remember when he first started on radio as the color analyst, and it was pretty rough. Dude is straight up legit now on play by play, which is a notably more difficult seat.

So great to have two ball players in the booth on PBP and Color. They do an amazing job of pointing out little details, teaching the game, and having some fun.

Not unlike my SFGiants home broadcast team, which is best in the bigs in my biased opinion.

Edited by TornACL
  • Hook 'Em 6

8 minutes ago, TornACL said:

I have mentioned this before but Keith M has done some amazing work on his craft. I remember when he first started on radio as the color analyst, and it was pretty rough. Dude is straight up legit now on play by play, which is a notably more difficult seat.

So great to have two ball players in the booth on PBP and Color. They do an amazing job of pointing out little details, teaching the game, and having some fun.

Not unlike my SFGiants home broadcast team, which is best in the bigs in my biased opinion.

I am enjoying Nate Thornhill doing some of the radio broadcasts and I hope that continues over the years.  Craig and Keith on the radio for road games is aces...

When your Sunday starter is a transfer who couldn't get meaningless bullpen innings for the team you are currently playing then you are probably in for a long weekend.

You've built a program when kids like Gavin Kash (who isn't ready) get to come in and sit on the bench and develop. So much depth that you have no choice but to be good or transfer out.

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, TornACL said:

Personally I don’t need pxp on a tv broadcast and am happiest when both Greg and Keith are giving commentary and telling stories, with no Lowell there jock sniffing the both of them. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Personally I don’t need pxp on a tv broadcast and am happiest when both Greg and Keith are giving commentary and telling stories, with no Lowell there jock sniffing the both of them. 

I'll take Galindo over Bill Little any day...

8 minutes ago, chase25 said:

When your Sunday starter is a transfer who couldn't get meaningless bullpen innings for the team you are currently playing then you are probably in for a long weekend.

You've built a program when kids like Gavin Kash (who isn't ready) get to come in and sit on the bench and develop. So much depth that you have no choice but to be good or transfer out.

There you are! Fuck yeah man haven’t seen you on the board in awhile. 

7 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Rice has major defensive issues at C and 3B and a pitching staff that, collectively, struggles to find the strike zone.

Other than that, they are a damn solid squad.

Yeah as we learned in 2016 and 2019, having a catcher is pretty important. McCann level catching, Hibbeler level short stop play with 2017 Conner Mayes and 2018 Beau Ridgeway pitching isn’t a recipe for success. Rice looks like a combo of our 2016 and 2019 teams. Hopefully Cruz can rebuild them back to top 20 status. There’s enough talent in Houston alone to field s competitive team 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Fletch said:

There you are! Fuck yeah man haven’t seen you on the board in awhile. 

Yeah I usually stay away during football season and basketball season. Most of the people on the baseball board understand its a marathon and don't lose their shit over every little thing so its enjoyable. Plus you see the same people on here so you get to know some people. This team is going to be really fun to watch, starting to feel that Texas mystique around this team that the Gus era teams had and the 2000s Augie teams had. Where the other team knows that no matter what the score of the game is they are just waiting for that critical mistake to choke it away. Texas won a lot of games like that in the past and the speed and discipline they have at the plate creates that pressure.

Just glad we get Okie State at home this year because they look good.

Edited by chase25
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Fletch said:

God damn this is a carbon copy of the glorious Augie teams. Elite pitching and defense, no auto outs in the lineup, speed for days, gap to gap power up and down the lineup with a true 4hole guy with depth and a deep bullpen. We’re fucking back 

Reminds me a lot of the 05 team. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Gucci_Suit said:

It’s fun when you can hit the ball out of the park, but also bunt, create havoc on the bases, manufacture runs, and play defense. Augie would be proud of this squad. 

Also- that seemed like one of the longest games I’ve attended. 

Yeah that was almost a four hour game. That's extra innings length and we didn't even play the bottom of the 9th.

Watched or listened to all 3 games. We played a flawless weekend of BB. Really saw so weakness. The RF, short kid, May be the only hole I see.  Not sure he got the ball out of the infield,  could be wrong. The Kansas 3b transfer looks like a stick, could be a dh candidate. Speed for days.  Faltine has AA all over him, maybe golden spikes.  Ivan looked better fielding than I would have thought, he’ll strike out a ton but then drop bombs too. Last year we feasted on mid-week games. Hope we have same attitude this year. 

Edited by jdhorn92
  • Hook 'Em 1

Only weakness I can see is base running. Rice fucked up the run down but that would have ended in the inning with just the sac fly. Had a caught stealing yesterday and a questionable send from Pierce today. If the offense is as prodigious as it seems, probably not a big deal, but we’ve been horrid in the past and it gets annoying when we are depending on those guys to get home at some point.