Ukraine War

BehoId, The Underminer!

• 2 weeks later...

It's worth reading the comments of Slovaks and Hungarians on this thread in reaction to this pro-Russian candidate getting elected. They sound very similar to us talking about Republicans and the idiots who vote for them.

Here's one example:

It's kind of impressive if you think about it. An in the closed gay being openly against gay rights won the election by claiming the other candidate would send our soldiers to Ukraine (despite him being against it).

He literally claimed he is not a product of marketing, while he exceeded the limit that he can legally spend on a presidential campaign, because third parties campaigned for him (yes it is against the law, but there's minimal punishment for it)

I feel sick...im a slovak, but seriously fuck this country

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bolverk said:

It's worth reading the comments of Slovaks and Hungarians on this thread in reaction to this pro-Russian candidate getting elected. They sound very similar to us talking about Republicans and the idiots who vote for them.

Here's one example:

It's kind of impressive if you think about it. An in the closed gay being openly against gay rights won the election by claiming the other candidate would send our soldiers to Ukraine (despite him being against it).

He literally claimed he is not a product of marketing, while he exceeded the limit that he can legally spend on a presidential campaign, because third parties campaigned for him (yes it is against the law, but there's minimal punishment for it)

I feel sick...im a slovak, but seriously fuck this country

I could just about write my analysis of this in Slovak but I’ll resist the urge. Suffice to say that Pellegrini won this election with an appeal to lies, fear, hate and with extensive foreign interference. He got through to the second round by posing as a centrist and then mobilized to grab the neo-Nazi and pro-Russia vote even as his opponent (Korcok, former foreign minister and ambassador to the U.S.) got more votes than the current incumbent president. Slovakia’s president is much weaker than the U.S. president. This basically removes any institutional hurdles (not brakes) to the criminal group currently in government. 

There’s lots of comparisons to the way the GOP behaves and who they mobilize, and how they exploit foreign interference. Example: Slovakia has a “campaign moratorium” where all public campaigning stops 48 hours prior to polls opening until poll closure. The winner of this election went to Hungary and gave a fawning interview to state TV which Orban then ran almost non-stop through the moratorium. Slovakia is home to about 500,000 ethnic Hungarians who all are in the Hungarian media space. Non-stop diet of Orban telling them who to vote for and calling the democratic bloc tools of Soros. Every accusation is a confession. 

Slovakia is rapidly turning into No Country For Young Men (Women, Gays,  Educated, Tolerant, Kind….). I personally know about a dozen of the smartest Slovaks who bailed to Czech Republic and many more weighing the move. There’s almost no linguistic friction and you can even study for free in Czech schools so for about a decade the top 30 percent of Slovak students have gone to Czech schools. That will speed up and the current crowd of Kremlin tools can rule over an empty European Appalachia full of terrified pensioners, literal Nazis, and oppressed Roma. Here’s what one of my smartest friends, who is leaving, texted me:

It sucks that someone with whom the majority of normal educated people don’t agree represents your country and decides about your future

The thing is— that’s fine with them. Just like that vision is appealing to our GOP.

Oh, and today Zelenskyy announced that Ukraine will lost without Congressional action. He’s right (which is why I’m too angry to go near the DT thread now). And Anastasis and GRU and the GOP that wants us to be more like Russia and Slovakia can suck each other off.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Oh, and today Zelenskyy announced that Ukraine will lost without Congressional action. He’s right (which is why I’m too angry to go near the DT thread now). And Anastasis and GRU and the GOP that wants us to be more like Russia and Slovakia can suck each other off.

Oh hey on that note, WaPo has some new reporting out:

image.thumb.png.6f4e14aa4f480a30e7ee33abc3067c2c.png

• Rage+1 3

31 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Oh hey on that note, WaPo has some new reporting out:

image.thumb.png.6f4e14aa4f480a30e7ee33abc3067c2c.png

Some analysts think giving Putin all he wants will reward him, amazing analysis WaPo. 

We are done. We can’t win important wars. We can’t build ships. We can’t build airplanes. There’s no backbone or steel in any spines. It’s Jake Sullivans and Mike Johnsons all the way down. 

• Rage+1 4

21 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Crazy how the party of Reagan has sold itself off to Russia and an ex-KGB agent.  Tom Clancy would have considered this plot too farfetched.

It’s annoying to watch her be so willfully ignorant. She’s stupid too.

The Washington Post buries the lead sentence.

image.png.cfa0925fc5be3aff388786ae5fa3b74f.png

The news is that there is further evidence that Trump is an ally of Russia. Further evidence which means they can drop their journalism school templates and state the key fact.

Donald Trump's plan to reward Vlad...borders by force further indicates his plan to ally with the de facto dictator.

I'm surprised these chickenshit college girls and boys didn't sprinkle in a bunch of allegedlys. Do you really need to source "some foreign policy experts" as though there is some doubt that Trump's utterances can be interpreted any other way?

RomaVicta states he wants to erase the MAGA GOPs from the face of the Earth. Some linguists suggest this may mean that he intends harm to Republicans who follow Trump.

RomaVicta proposes mass murder of millions of Americans. There's your opening sentence, fuckwads.

Trump's dedication to Putin is a fact already proven. You won't lose a libel case. It's not being unbalanced if you can't find a Dem traitor to even the scales.

State. The. Truth. or scratch out your motto about democracy dying in the dark.

Disappointing as fuck.

Originally, I was studying Journalism at UT. I only took a few classes, so I'm not claiming expertise. It's just that the possible satisfaction of being a reporter is destroyed if you can't print lucid facts. Would I have become one of these drones? Ugh.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Rage+1 1

18 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

What blows me away is how few MAGA realize that the only time that NATO’s Article 5 was invoked was after 9/11 and that many of the largest members sent troops or aided in other ways, along with New Zealand and Australia.

Yep. They stepped up united with us, and we decide to invade Iraq. Such a fumble by W. His daddy, Clinton, or Gore would not have wasted that moment.

The re-election of W was demoralizing to me. It's just getting worse.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Rage+1 3

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

What blows me away is how few MAGA realize that the only time that NATO’s Article 5 was invoked was after 9/11 and that many of the largest members sent troops or aided in other ways, along with New Zealand and Australia.

They don’t care.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

"My boat was supposed to get new pistols"

What the fuck does that even mean?  

Is this like a Kenny Powers situation where he's riding a Jetski, all coked up, shooting handguns in the air?  What the fuck with the simulation lately?  

I get the eggs talking point, and the gasoline prices, and all that.  But Biden made it so I couldn't mount a .50cal to my dad's pontoon boat or what the fuck?  Not only does Kyle to get vote, but apparently can buy firearms, and a boating license.  See you all at church tomorrow, I guess.  

27 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

"My boat was supposed to get new pistols"

What the fuck does that even mean?  

Is this like a Kenny Powers situation where he's riding a Jetski, all coked up, shooting handguns in the air?  What the fuck with the simulation lately?  

I get the eggs talking point, and the gasoline prices, and all that.  But Biden made it so I couldn't mount a .50cal to my dad's pontoon boat or what the fuck?  Not only does Kyle to get vote, but apparently can buy firearms, and a boating license.  See you all at church tomorrow, I guess.  

Yea man, I didn't know what to respond with lol

56 minutes ago, speed817 said:

Yea man, I didn't know what to respond with lol

just saw his twitter profile says he lives in Hawaii. Either he’s in a position to not have to worry about money for anything, or he should have chickens running around the yard lol.

Wasn't that the Horace McCoy book, "They shoot chickens, don't they?"  Jane Fonda did the movie version, but I think it was in SoCal, not Hawaii.  

I'll give Kyle credit, this is the most original flex on Bidenomics to date.  Skips past groceries and housing costs and goes to "Pistols for my Boat"  

I remember when we used to emphasize critical thinking in this country, it was a badge of honor.  Now we're all just soundbite parrots.  

I started getting into a conversation with a relative at Easter about how much money the armor and hardware we're sending to Ukraine, he felt like it was hundreds of billions based on the chart he saw of all the shit we've sent from here and our European bases.  I tried to explain that it's all so old, the debt service on it is done and is actually a net drain in terms of maintenance and storage.  Don't get me wrong, the cost of transportation to NATO partners is not insignificant, but it's not like we're stroking real-time checks  to Northrop-Grumman to build brand new shit to just package in an Amazon box and have sent to straight Kyiv.  There's no fucking point most of the time in this kinds of discussions.  

JPeternan voice, "I'd be happy to sign this invoice Kyle, but I will have to see this boat..."

Edited by YGIFS

44 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

just saw his twitter profile says he lives in Hawaii. Either he’s in a position to not have to worry about money for anything, or he should have chickens running around the yard lol.

image.thumb.png.0b3f7e628c53584d974733d69a54b99f.png

• Haha 1

Yeah, I paid your mom a dollar for three swallows without messing up her hair.  Dammit, I had something for this.  

Also, is that heinous Hawaii couple...are they standing in an unfilled swimming pool with an electrical outlet in it?  WHAT YEAR IS IT?  

7 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Yeah, I paid your mom a dollar for three swallows without messing up her hair.  Dammit, I had something for this.  

Also, is that heinous Hawaii couple...are they standing in an unfilled swimming pool with an electrical outlet in it?  WHAT YEAR IS IT?  

Are you 10 years old or just work for aggy?

19 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Truth !

The cost of the Israelis defending themselves from that one barrage is estimated at 550 million dollars.   Are you willing to pay more in taxes or is this just more debt?

https://www.wsj.com/livecoverage/israel-iran-strikes-live-coverage/card/israel-s-cost-of-intercepting-iranian-barrage-is-put-at-over-550-million-uamrOjZkoRBNGRfjWbD6

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

The cost of the Israelis defending themselves from that one barrage is estimated at 550 million dollars.   Are you willing to pay more in taxes or is this just more debt?

https://www.wsj.com/livecoverage/israel-iran-strikes-live-coverage/card/israel-s-cost-of-intercepting-iranian-barrage-is-put-at-over-550-million-uamrOjZkoRBNGRfjWbD6

sounds like the American war machine just added an additional cog to me

• Hook 'Em 1

This one might be too "political" for the DT thread.

Ukrainians see ‘hypocrisy’ in Western allies’ defense of Israel.

For people in eastern Ukraine, where nightly barrages of drones from Russia outpace the military’s overwhelmed air defenses, the response by Western allies to Iran’s aerial assault against Israel this weekend produced uncomfortable comparisons.

The militaries of the United States, Britain, France and others stepped in to help Israel defend against the fusillade of more than 300 Iranian drones and missiles, nearly all of which were intercepted. A similar number of aerial weapons are fired at Ukraine on a weekly basis, its officials say, with many of the drones in those attacks designed by Iran and now produced by Russia.

Since the start of this year, Russia has fired 1,000 missiles, 2,800 drones and 7,000 guided aerial bombs at Ukraine, according to Ukraine’s permanent representative to the United Nations, Sergiy Kyslytsya. While Washington and other allies have provided Kyiv with some powerful air defense weapons, they have not directly confronted Russian forces, and Ukrainian officials have long argued that the supplied weapons are insufficient to counter the threat from Moscow.

In the eastern Ukrainian city of Kharkiv, where 1.3 million people live with nightly air raid alarms, many people expressed anger and disappointment over the weekend that Ukraine’s allies, wary of provoking Russia, don’t give it the same protection as they did Israel.

“When rockets fly in Israel, the whole world writes about it,” said Amil Nasirov, a 29-year-old singer. “Here, rockets are flying, and we don’t have American bombers that are saving the sky like over Israel.”

“It’s very stupid; it’s hypocrisy,” he added. “And it’s like some devaluation of Ukrainian lives.”

Ukraine has begged since the outset of Russia’s full-scale invasion in February 2022 for more tools to close its sky to Russian missiles. But the first Patriot missile systems from the United States and Germany — the only proven defense against ballistic missiles — did not arrive until the spring of 2023.

Ukraine also pleaded for F-16 fighter jets, which the Biden administration, which must approve any transfers of the American-made planes, long resisted providing them out of concern that Moscow would see it as an escalation.

It eventually relented, but Ukrainian pilots are still training on the systems and they are not expected to fly in the skies above Ukraine until this summer.

Ukrainian officials noted the role that fighter jets played in defending Israel as a sign of their importance in air defense.

President Volodymyr Zelensky said the response to the Iranian attack was clear evidence that “the world has everything necessary to stop any missiles, Shahed drones, and other forms of terror,” referring to the Iranian-made attack drones that have been a large part of Russia’s arsenal.

“The whole world sees what real defense is. It sees that it is feasible. And the whole world saw that Israel was not alone in this defense — the threat in the sky was also being eliminated by its allies,” Mr. Zelensky said in his latest nightly address.

Britain’s foreign secretary, David Cameron, said on Monday that while his country has been one of the staunchest military supporters of Ukraine — training thousands of troops and providing tanks and other advanced weapons — Britain could not shoot down Russian drones over Ukraine because it could inflame a wider war in Europe.

“If you want to avoid an escalation in terms of a wider European war, I think the one thing you do need to avoid is NATO troops directly engaging Russian troops,” Mr. Cameron told Britain’s LBC radio station. “That would be a danger of escalation.”

The United States remains the chief supplier of the munitions for Ukraine’s best air defense systems. But the last time Congress approved military aid for Ukraine was in October. In the intervening months, Ukraine’s air defenses have been critically depleted, while Russia has greater success in using air power to advance on the front line, attack Ukraine’s energy grid and inflict more casualties against civilians.

At least 126 people were killed and 478 more were injured in Russian strikes in March, a 20 percent increase compared with the previous month, according to the United Nations.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Duh.

Evangelical psychopaths control one of our political parties.  That party is 1) all-in on Israel because it needs the state of Israel around for the final battle of Good and Evil where Kirk Cameron helps all the fundies get raptured, and 2) the party is also completely beholden to a man who is a wholly-owned property of Putin, so pro-Russia, anti-Ukraine it is.

It's not any more complicated than that.

• Hook 'Em 5

There is lots of blame to go around. What you see in terms of world on fire, but especially Ukraine, is the result of a foreign policy that has at its core the goal of managing crises and not winning or ending crises on favorable terms. We just can’t imagine winning one of these things and especially we won’t allow ourselves to ask “how can we help Ukraine win and not just survive.” 

If you set the goal to manage crises, you end up with crises to manage.  The time to help Ukraine win was 1.5 years ago. The window has closed and now the best we can do is help them survive. 

Never let lawyers run your national security. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

GOP supplemental plan. Take it. Best we are gonna get.

image.thumb.jpeg.efb082d4a6c1c7d0fc0e81c8d7554c59.jpeg

We'll take it for now. It's a shit ton more for the  defense industry and restocking old munitions with fresh new ones. Unfortunate that this discussion needs to be kept in CR

• Hook 'Em 3

34 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

is there some special nuance to calling a thread full of people wanting to support ukraine the equivalent of a warmonger that i'm missing?

Ana has pretty openly been rooting for Russia for this entire conflict. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

GOP supplemental plan. Take it. Best we are gonna get.

image.thumb.jpeg.efb082d4a6c1c7d0fc0e81c8d7554c59.jpeg

$8m for some IG sluts shows that the modern military understands society better than when they sent over Bob Hope to entertain the troops. 

Edited by SimonBolivar
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Ana has pretty openly been rooting for Russia for this entire conflict. 

He’s not pro-Russia, it’s more nuanced, he just believes that all the things Russia wants just so happen to be good for the United States and the world and also that it’s a smear that Russia interfered in U.S. elections and is involved in active measures. All these beliefs are sincerely held and logical and he just can’t help it that they align perfectly with whatever the Kremlin says. 

He’s truly sad that America is making Russia kill all these Ukrainians and just hopes for the peace that is on its way as soon as Russia can kill lots of them all at once instead of fewer of them, slowly. 

Edited by 956 Worldwide
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2