Nuclear/Catastrophe Planning

JesusSweatDuck

8 hours ago, CleverNickname said:

You guys are crazy. This "I hope I just vaporize" thing... I don't get it. I'd do anything to keep my kids alive, and until they are older that means living myself. 

There's a legitimate argument that your kids being vaporized is a much more humane outcome than living to experience the trauma of a nuclear holocaust and the rest of their days in a nuclear winter.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

There's a legitimate argument that your kids being vaporized is a much more humane outcome than living to experience the trauma of a nuclear holocaust and the rest of their days in a nuclear winter.

Pretty much. It’ll be ugly 

I think a lot of you overestimate the 'vaporize' region of even the largest nukes. If you don't live within 15ish miles of a target, and if you are able to make it inside and can stay there for a few days, you're going to survive long enough to grow into that flaming guitar player on top of the mechanized truck convoy

Edited by SomeoneYouKnow2
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, SomeoneYouKnow2 said:

I think a lot of you overestimate the 'vaporize' region of even the largest nukes. If you don't live within 15ish miles of a target, and if you are able to make it inside and can stay there for a few days, you're going to survive long enough to grow into that flaming guitar player on top of the mechanized truck convoy

https://www.mapdevelopers.com/draw-circle-tool.php?circles=[[24140.1%2C30.2711286%2C-97.7436995%2C"%23AAAAAA"%2C"%23000000"%2C0.4]]

So uh you were saying? 

16 minutes ago, immamac said:

Not sure the point here. Of course a 15 mile radius of downtown would be catastrophic. But if you live outside of that (like a lot of people posting), you're probably surviving initially. It's not gonna be quick unfortunately.

I mean, if I lived in BFE somewhere, I'd consider having some kind of catastrophe plan.  But as others have alluded, given that I live in a major metropolitan area, and that we're not likely going to be given any considerable advance warning that the warheads are flying, it's going to be pointless making my way out of Austin, so better to hunker down with my loved ones, say my prayers, and crank up some Freedom Rock.
"Hey man is that freedom rock?"

"Well turn it up!"
  • Haha 1

If we live through the initial blast we will go to our spot way out in the wilds and live like savages until my wife kills me and feeds me to the dogs. I might make it 2 days if I don't get into the whiskey. I have a bunch of whiskey though.

• Hook 'Em 2

13 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I am 25.6 miles from the Bryan Mound Strategic Petroleum Reserve in Freeport. My suffering would be short, I believe. 

Living in Brazoria County would make me consider vaporization the most viable alternative. I wish I had a dollar for each mile my extended family drove down 332/288 to the plants. 

1 hour ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Living in Brazoria County would make me consider vaporization the most viable alternative. I wish I had a dollar for each mile my extended family drove down 332/288 to the plants. 

It's not so bad. I live smack on the San Bernard in the prettiest part of the county -- amid all the live oaks and Spanish moss. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, SomeoneYouKnow2 said:

I think a lot of you overestimate the 'vaporize' region of even the largest nukes. 

This is correct.  The most accurate and reliable Russian ballistic missiles are the Bulava SLBM and the Yars ICBM.  That is what they will likely lead with and what a given city has the greatest chance of getting hit with.  Both of these have 100 - 200 kT war heads.  A 200 kT warhead has a fireball/instant vaporization radius of less than half a mile.  The kill radius is much larger than that, but if you aren't within half a mile of a strike, chances are you won't be vaporized.

https://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/  

Edited by synoptic
  • Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, synoptic said:

This is correct.  The most accurate and reliable Russian ballistic missiles are the Bulava SLBM and the Yars ICBM.  That is what they will likely lead with and what a given city has the greatest chance of getting hit with.  Both of these have 100 - 200 kT war heads.  A 200 kT warhead has a fireball/instant vaporization radius of less than half a mile.  The kill radius is much larger than that, but if you aren't within half a mile of a strike, chances are you won't be vaporized.

Yep.

Im in SA next to Ft. Sam so im getting vaporized immediately. No point in running even if Im at home.

suckers.

48674923-EC29-4B28-A281-0A173CFE5BD0.gif.79de8c2b17794d8d09859fd79e5f4db5.gif

• Haha 1

If there was a full nuclear exchange. It doesn’t matter where you live. If you didn’t get vaporized or turn into Gumby from the radiation, you would be stuck in world without sufficient electricity, food, or water. Even if you have food and guns, you’re still just a target for hungry people. 

On 3/3/2022 at 8:53 PM, ztejas said:

Who knows. I do know it was set up that way during the cold war. I wouldn't imagine it's changed much but the US especially has dismantled a lot of its arsenal. 

I can tell you for a fact that Northrup Grumman has the single largest government contract in the US right now to maintain and upgrade the nuclear arsenal. 

Edited by Superhero

1 hour ago, Superhero said:

I can tell you for a fact that Northrup Grumman has the single largest government contract in the US right now to maintain and upgrade the nuclear arsenal. 

fascinating

what insider info are you going to share next, that honeywell makes the thermostats

Edited by Santos L. Helper
  • Haha 1

On 3/6/2022 at 7:24 AM, Bobby_Batronic said:

Sup cuz.

On 3/6/2022 at 9:15 AM, MaybeACoordinator said:

It's not so bad. I live smack on the San Bernard in the prettiest part of the county -- amid all the live oaks and Spanish moss. 

Sup parent's neighbor. 

• Hook 'Em 2

For those needing to build a kit, this is not a bad start. I have two. One for my car and one for foot movement. Of course, I would stay home should shit happen and watch what goes down. 
https://tacticalgear.com/experts/how-to-build-a-survival-kit

I’m gonna say this. If you are building a kit and including a rifle, ammo gets heavy quickly. Tote that nonsense around some to get used to it.
  • Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

I’m gonna say this. If you are building a kit and including a rifle, ammo gets heavy quickly. Tote that nonsense around some to get used to it.

Um, depends on the weapon. For basic survival a short 22 is about all you need. I have carried quite a few weapons in shitty places so agree 100%. Ammo is the bitch. That and water. Coast Guard approved water (5 year shelf) is a good way to go to start. 

On 3/6/2022 at 12:33 PM, synoptic said:

What concerns me is that if you're far enough away from potential targets that you don't get vaporized immediately, but still within 10 miles or so, it may take some time (a number of seconds anyway) for the blast wave to reach you...during which time you will be literally roasting alive from the radiant heat of the fireball. It would be anything but a quick, painless death.

Um, depends on the weapon. For basic survival a short 22 is about all you need. I have carried quite a few weapons in shitty places so agree 100%. Ammo is the bitch. That and water. Coast Guard approved water (5 year shelf) is a good way to go to start. 

For a bug out bag, I’d use a lifestraw. Obviously, in a nuclear type situation, it’s not gonna clean that out. I’ve been thinking about getting a bladder for my bag, but I’m not sure how often I’d have to cycle it.

What’s your favorite MRE? Lol

15 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

For a bug out bag, I’d use a lifestraw. Obviously, in a nuclear type situation, it’s not gonna clean that out. I’ve been thinking about getting a bladder for my bag, but I’m not sure how often I’d have to cycle it.

What’s your favorite MRE? Lol

If you have MREs, make sure you load up on Tabasco too

• Hook 'Em 2

I have a box of stuff in my garage that I was about to take to Goodwill but this thread made me reconsider. It had an old backpack in it and a bunch of kitchen knives (carving, butcher, etc) wrapped up in an old Amazon padded envelope. That's the start of my bag. Gonna fill that sucker up and maybe make another one when my wife stops making fun of me. 

If shit were to hit the fan,  what are the most likely targets (in Central Texas) for a strike? Warhead counts are not as high now as they were 30-40 years ago, so I don't know if we'd just have one or two bombs coming to our fair city, or a whole slew of them. I'm not a Russian war planner but off the top of my head, the following come to mind:  

Downtown Austin & Capitol area

UT area

ABIA

Pickle Research/IBM area

Decker power plant

Fayette power plant

Samsung plant

Fort Hood

Mansfield Dam?

Cedar Park & Round Rock?

and lots of military stuff in/around San Antonio