"NEOM" - what the heck is it?

Brisketexan

So, on social media, I am getting ads and images for "Neom," and their mountain resort region, "Trojena."  All can be found at Neom.com.  Here are some images of what Neom is (or, rather, the concept of what it will be):

highlight-4-overlay?scl=1

mountain-image-bottom.jpeg

It has multiple "zones" -- the above is Trojena, another is "the Line," which appears to be their urban concept.

Turns out it is some conceptual project by......the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia:

THE LINE is a never-before-seen approach to urbanization – a 170km-long linear urban development of multiple, hyper-connected communities, with walkable neighborhoods integrated with public parks and the natural landscape. It is a model of urban design and livability in harmony with nature for the 21st century and beyond.

THE LINE will reshape the traditional concept of urban life, enabling NEOM to become an economic engine for the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, the region, and the world.

THE LINE will create 380,000 new jobs, spur economic diversification and contribute SAR 180bn to domestic GDP by 2030.

Powered by 100% renewable energy, the principles of environmental responsibility will be enshrined in business regulations to promote sustainable and regenerative development practices.

All essential daily needs will be within a five-minute walk.

Communities will be built around people, not cars, easily accessible and designed for convenience and walkability, creating vistas of beauty and tranquility.

THE LINE is supported by a physical and digital infrastructure layer seamlessly integrated beneath the surface and containing essential utilities and transportation services.

The infrastructure spine will include ultra-high-speed mass transit access to the communities along THE LINE.

Communities will live in harmony with nature, where open space, parks, gardens, the natural environment and sustainable food production are mixed seamlessly.

All businesses and communities on THE LINE are hyper-connected through a digital framework incorporating Artificial Intelligence and robotics that continuously learn and grow – over 90% of the data in NEOM will be analyzed to provide a predictive system with ever-improving services to residents and businesses.

The communities will be self-sufficient and reflect the personality of their residents, the region and the industries within them.

So....other than some sweet conceptual renderings, and a glitzy webpage, what in the blue hell is this?  Is there anything real about it?  Will anything like this ever happen?  And what the hell is it doing in Saudi Arabia, not exactly the most progressive place on earth?  And will I be able to get good falafel there, because.....I'm listening.

Neom is the pride of all the Saudi folk I hang with and know. Essentially they are building the most modern futuristic digital green city… module by module. 

Keep that feria burn rate going sadiki, for all I care, as I tell my folk. 

I could go on with more, but I am a sure the Google machine can help you. Googlelealo. 

And not falafel my good man. It’s called tamiya in KSA. Kabsah is what they are really known for. Also try some kibbeh and mandi. Sambusaks are just Saudi empanadas, and almost as good.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, JerrysJheriCurl said:

Neom is the pride of all the Saudi folk I hang with and know. Essentially they are building the most modern futuristic digital green city… module by module. 

Keep that feria burn rate going sadiki, for all I care, as I tell my folk. 

I could go on with more, but I am a sure the Google machine can help you. Googlelealo. 

And not falafel my good man. It’s called tamiya in KSA. Kabsah is what they are really known for. Also try some kibbeh and mandi. Sambusaks are just Saudi empanadas, and almost as good.

It all sounds delicious to me (esp. kabsah).  But I mean, is this really happening, or is it pie-in-the-sky bullshit?  And....it will be under Saudi jurisdiction, so.....lotsa drawbacks there.

12 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

It all sounds delicious to me (esp. kabsah).  But I mean, is this really happening, or is it pie-in-the-sky bullshit?  And....it will be under Saudi jurisdiction, so.....lotsa drawbacks there.

Some of it is.  They are trying to get outsiders to invest.

They definitely want to do it/make it their legacy.

Oh it’s been happening for a while now. I think the “deadline” is 2023. I forget because they moved it. 
Look up Vision 2030 to understand it a bit more. 
And @atomheartbevois correct. It’s more of an ego/legacy thing than anything else. 
Most empires have made a city or site a feature, and get all fancy about it.

They want to be/act like the empire they are not. 
I guess if you can’t dance, try and fake it. 
#PincheKhaleeji

Edited by JerrysJheriCurl

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

Some of it is.  They are trying to get outsiders to invest.

They definitely want to do it/make it their legacy.

Ok.....I really do find this fascinating.  And I still have a hard time with the sales pitch of "invest in this utopia-type vision of a place, come live here......but remember, you'll be under the jurisdiction of an islamist monarchy that gives zero fucks about anything approaching the rule of law."  That's a big fucking hurdle when you're asking for me to stick my money and my life someplace.  And as for me personally, I can't see how they could clear it.

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

So....other than some sweet conceptual renderings, and a glitzy webpage, what in the blue hell is this?  Is there anything real about it?  Will anything like this ever happen? 

Inshallah.  Also the answer you get when you ask any Saudi tech to do anything.

1 hour ago, JerrysJheriCurl said:

Kabsah is what they are really known for. 

They brought in some huge dishes of this to celebrate after our plant was up and running.  Kind of strange having everyone sitting in circles on the floor of the control room eating with their hands.  It wasn't bad but kind of bland.

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Ok.....I really do find this fascinating.  And I still have a hard time with the sales pitch of "invest in this utopia-type vision of a place, come live here......but remember, you'll be under the jurisdiction of an islamist monarchy that gives zero fucks about anything approaching the rule of law."  That's a big fucking hurdle when you're asking for me to stick my money and my life someplace.  And as for me personally, I can't see how they could clear it.

Never stopped any American based multi-nationals

Edited by WBT

Oh right, like a linguistics professor is gonna step out on a ledge and lecture us on the excesses of terra-formed luxury housing.  What does he give a shit about how the 1% operate?  He's a linguistics man for chrissakes! 

49 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Oh right, like a linguistics professor is gonna step out on a ledge and lecture us on the excesses of terra-formed luxury housing.  What does he give a shit about how the 1% operate?  He's a linguistics man for chrissakes! 

I was sitting here thinking "What the fuck does Chomsky have to do with any of this?"

Then, duh.   I get it.  This place will be lifeless, mundane, turgid and incredibly pedantic. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Macanudo said:

I was sitting here thinking "What the fuck does Chomsky have to do with any of this?"

Then, duh.   I get it.  This place will be lifeless, mundane, turgid and incredibly pedantic. 

You know what?  You sound like the fucking self-righteous governor of a fucking Dakota with your bullshit! 

On 3/25/2022 at 4:23 PM, Brisketexan said:

So, on social media, I am getting ads and images for "Neom," and their mountain resort region, "Trojena."  All can be found at Neom.com.  Here are some images of what Neom is (or, rather, the concept of what it will be):

highlight-4-overlay?scl=1

mountain-image-bottom.jpeg

It has multiple "zones" -- the above is Trojena, another is "the Line," which appears to be their urban concept.

Turns out it is some conceptual project by......the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia:

So....other than some sweet conceptual renderings, and a glitzy webpage, what in the blue hell is this?  Is there anything real about it?  Will anything like this ever happen?  And what the hell is it doing in Saudi Arabia, not exactly the most progressive place on earth?  And will I be able to get good falafel there, because.....I'm listening.

I know some construction and real estate people from the US working in SA.  There's a lot of mind boggling shit getting built in certain parts of the globe (a lot of it in China).  Just because we've lost our mojo when it comes to "make no small plans" stuff doesn't mean everyone else has.  Can you imagine trying to build an interstate highway system or Hoover Dam these days?  That's what I thought.  

Norman Foster steps back from Saudi tech city over journalist's murder

British architect Norman Foster, founder of Foster + Partners, has temporarily suspended himself from the advisory board of Saudi Arabia's Neom project, in response to Jamal Khashoggi's murder. More

India Block | 23 October 2018 | 12 comments

Edited by Bullneck