2022 MLB thread

shadow_operative2.0

8 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

'Member when people were saying that the Angels were going to have to make decisions on Trout because this Jo Adell kid in the minors was already a better CF than Trout?

Looks like Adell baited them into an out to me

9 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

'Member when people were saying that the Angels were going to have to make decisions on Trout because this Jo Adell kid in the minors was already a better CF than Trout?

Meh, he’s still pretty young. You’ve made your bias against toolsy athletic prospects known. You probably would’ve given up on Buxton years ago. Look at him now.

Gotta hand it to Judge…I thought he was nuts for turning down that contract offer before the season started, given his age and injury history. Assuming he stays healthy the rest of the season, I was wrong; he’ll probably end up getting a better deal.

His off-season could be fascinating. NYY will obviously have a ton of pressure to bring him back, and that’s what I’d expect to happen. But they’ll have to up the ante, and I wonder how much higher than the original offer they’re willing to go. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

Meh, he’s still pretty young. You’ve made your bias against toolsy athletic prospects known. You probably would’ve given up on Buxton years ago. Look at him now.

Adell has had 400 PA in MLB and has a career OPS lower than Joey Gallo's OPS this season.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Not a good batter to fuck that up against. 

7 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

world class dick, fuck Him

13 hours ago, Scraps said:

Fuck will clark

I loved Will Clark as a kid and Rangers fan when he was in TX in the mid-90’s. Never heard stories about him being a dick but that wouldn’t have been on my radar back then.

38 minutes ago, Helobious said:

And yeah I have heard of Will Clark before, but was he really good enough for this level of honor? Seems like something you’d do for an all time legend. 

His career is somewhat comparable to Don Mattingly’s in that he was one of the best players in the game for a short period of time early in his career (‘87-‘91) but had trouble staying healthy, which led to missed games and less power as he got older. 

As for being a prick, yeah, I’ve read stories that certainly indicate there’s truth to that. Also a bit of a racist, allegedly.

• Hook 'Em 3

47 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

His career is somewhat comparable to Don Mattingly’s in that he was one of the best players in the game for a short period of time early in his career (‘87-‘91) but had trouble staying healthy, which led to missed games and less power as he got older. 

As for being a prick, yeah, I’ve read stories that certainly indicate there’s truth to that. Also a bit of a racist, allegedly.

I lined in the Bay Area and grew up a huge Giants fan during that time period you talked about- thought Will Clark would be a HOFer. First career AB was a HR off Nolan in the dome. He was awesome. Until the power never came then he was kind of a slappy guy and profiled like Mark Grace. Which just wasn’t what you wanted from him as a fan when your boppers were all at 1B- and you just felt like you had to have 30 plus HR’s from your first baseman bc that was before Middle IF routinely hit 20+ HR’s. 
yeah- came out later he was a racist. Went to school at Klan aggy, right?  Who could have guessed. 
he was incredible in the 89 NLCS against the cubs. 

I see Jeff Pearlman mentioned and say to myself “holy shit self, I haven’t heard that name in a while”. So I google Jeff Pearlman just to kill some time and the first google hit is an ad to shop Jeff Pearlman books on Amazon and the second listing is a book titled “The day my fart followed me to hockey”. Between Helo’s insistence on constantly exceeding his previous levels of dumbassery and this book title I’m entirely too sober for this shit.

6ea1d81bfcbd899ed056bb1f04cd1b72.jpg

54 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Love these stories.  Kid scrapping in the minors for years, finally gets the call, family scrambles to get to Colorado, first AB

What's cool about stuff like this is that he could totally flame out from here on out but he'll always have that moment now. 

• Hook 'Em 1