Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

1 minute ago, Chopper said:

For how many years has the AAS been swirling down the toilet? Weird that they've never thought of hiring better sportswriters and continue to just let demented curt bowels use it as his playground.

I'm officially hiring a writer. How much does a radio station on AM cost to run? 

• Hook 'Em 4

11 minutes ago, hookem17 said:

A timely blast from the past. Also, fuck Kurt Bowls. 

I missed John Maher. Dude was funny, smart and could write, way better than Kurt anyway, although people didn’t like him because he told the truth during the generally dark football years of the mid to late 80s. Guess he was too smart for the sports section. 

1 minute ago, Pancho said:

Christ, Brando 

Fucking Brando. Most of the time announcers being biased against your team is pretty overblown but I've never seen anything like that last game he called. He was crushed that we came back and won that Tech game. 

At least Spencer Tillman went to OU, Brando is just a cunt.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Has the secsec ever had a vote about another team coming into their conference when they DID NOT all vote for them?

I believe Aggy was 13-0.  Vandy felt they were not academically sufficient.

Apparently Mizzou as well.

Edited by VivaNaranja
I was incorrect. Also already answered.

1 minute ago, UncleSonny said:

Fucking Brando. Most of the time announcers being biased against your team is pretty overblown but I've never seen anything like that last game he called. He was crushed that we came back and won that Tech game. 

At least Spencer Tillman went to OU, Brando is just a cunt.

Brando is Just a Cunt would be an outstanding band name. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Bet Earl's gonna be there too!

Some former players are going to be there, but if Earl were going, I'd have heard about it and would be here.  Last really good one I went to, I put back a lot of beers with Quan Cosby at the end of the night and he told me that he didn't think Sam was the next guy for UT (Herman's first year).  I nodded and smiled.

Edited by dcbc

2 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Another press release from Bowlsby. He must be exhausted, poor guy isn't used to having to do any work on consecutive days.

This guy is too much. He throws in a shot about "and television partner" when literally nothing from the SEC announcement implicates ESPN. I mean I know it would never get to trial, but it wouldn't take that long if it did.

"Your honor, my clients have been asked why they would have wanted to move conferences if it wasn't based on alleged conversations with ESPN. I'd like to enter Exhibit A - official statements by Robert Bowlsby in his capacity as Big 12 commissioner. I'd also like to enter Exhibit B - official statements by the SEC office.

The answer to the question is that my clients wanted to and are moving from a conference run by a guy who would make statements like those in Exhibit A to a conference that releases statements like those in Exhibit B. You know, moving from clown show to competent."

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Another press release from Bowlsby. He must be exhausted, poor guy isn't used to having to do any work on consecutive days.

Poor thing. He is just utterly fucking delusional if he thinks Texas will be in Big12 for next 4 years. Had Bowlsby been remotely capable at his job and ever advocated for his bell cows this move may never had come to pass.

• Hook 'Em 2

Rumblings from the outgoing FSU president about the ACC either expanding or their possibly moving, predicts the demise of the NCAA, and thinks UT/OU is only the tip of the realignment iceberg:

https://www.news-journalonline.com/story/sports/college/fsu/football/2021/07/29/florida-state-fsu-football-john-thrasher-president-university-retiring-acc-ncaa-oklahoma-texas/5415221001/

Spoiler

As John Thrasher nears retirement, he doesn't want FSU 'left behind' in college football

Florida State president John Thrasher is retiring at quite a time in college athletics.

Thrasher, who turns 78 in December, is retiring in August after nearly seven years atop the university.

Mere weeks before the end of his tenure, the future of college football looks as uncertain as ever with the news breaking last week that Oklahoma and Texas intend to move from the Big 12 to the SEC in 2025.

It seems quite possible that the future of college athletics is moving towards a few super conferences perhaps gaining even more autonomy.

In an exclusive sit-down interview with the Democrat, Thrasher talked candidly about what he thinks about the future of college football as well as the ACC and FSU's role in it.

"I just want us to be prepared..." Thrasher said.

"My point to (FSU director of athletics) David Coburn and to (new ACC commissioner) Jim Phillips is I don't want Florida State to be left behind. I consider us as part of the ACC, but I also know that we have a marquee name, Clemson has a marquee name. I think there might be people coming after us, I don't know, but we've got to be prepared no matter what the options are."

A path out of the ACC would be difficult for any school, even the likes of FSU and Clemson. The conference currently has grant of rights with each ACC school through 2036.

If any school left before then, its television rights revenue would remain with the conference for the length of the conference.

John Thrasher: Money remains driving force behind football changes

Thrasher understands how difficult such a change would be. However, he's also well aware of the big driving force behind these changes and how important it is that FSU doesn't get left behind, either as a part of the ACC or elsewhere.

"At the end of the day, it's all about money. It's about TV revenue, contracts. Nobody can leave a conference without a significant buyout penalty, including us, so it would have to be something very special for us to leave," Thrasher said.

"On the other hand, that doesn't mean we can't attract some other people. I think the ACC, when you put the academic side of what it's about today against any of the other conferences, we're head and shoulders (above), I think. That, to me, is attractive to some of the universities out there. Preparation, options, all that's on the table. We're getting prepared for whatever happens.

"The Oklahoma, Texas thing, in my opinion, is the tip of the iceberg. It's there, but it's certainly going to be much broader than that when it's said and done."

ACC commissioner: Football must be league's top priority

Phillips made an impact at last week's ACC Kickoff event during his press conference when he made it clear that football must be the No. 1 priority of the entire conference in order for everything else to work.

It's the kind of statement that previous commissioner John Swofford was never willing to make and a number of ACC schools may not have been willing to admit until recently.

For the longevity of the ACC, Thrasher is thrilled that this finally seems to be changing.

"In the past with the ACC, I think some presidents haven't given football the attention (it deserves). For us, we know it's the front porch for a lot of our fans and our fan base and of course the history of this program with the leadership of Bobby Bowden has been unmatched in the country," Thrasher said.

"I think Jim does understand that football is a driver for a lot of us in terms of our other athletic programs. Without football, we don't have the resources. Our fan base is good, our boosters are doing a great job, but you've still got to have that revenue from football. It's not just attendance. It's TV contracts, it's the media rights, all those things that we have."

For some time, the idea that the most established college football programs may break away from the NCAA and form their own autonomous league has been discussed, mostly as a hypothetical with no real evidence.

And yet, in the wake of the Oklahoma and Texas shock, this possibility feels as realistic as it ever has.

Thrasher appreciates all the NCAA has done to help college athletics grow. On his way out the door, however, he's also willing to admit that college sports may be evolving beyond the NCAA.

"The NCAA, I think they've got some good people up there and they've tried to do the right thing. Everybody says, 'Well, if we didn't have an NCAA, we'd have to recreate it.' I think we're getting ready to, I think that's the next step..." Thrasher said.

"As the conferences get bigger, they're going to get stronger. The NCAA certainly can have a broad umbrella type approach, but I don't think it's going to be dictating what they have been in the past to the extent they have. I think they are they are preparing for that and getting ready for that.

"I'm not criticizing them, I just think it's a different world we're living in and I think the conference realignment will probably push them (to change). I think the last thing I'd say about the NCAA is that it may be too little too late for them to be relevant again."

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

I’d love a nighttime kickoff for the RRS. It’ll never happen, but that’d be a hell of an experience. 

For multiple reasons discussed ad nauseam a night Texas OU game will never ever happen. But this move does enhance the probability of more 2:30 games instead of 11:00 am which is a good thing.  

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Ur welcome. Just trying to do my part. Lol.

Was looking back at old pics with my Dad and not realizing just a few short years after I graduated he would pass away. He would have loved this moment. Since he probably wouldn’t be on the internet he’d be calling into the Finebaum show laughing his ass off. 

Those of you from that wonderful Urban Meyer unicorn of thread would remember…but my Panhandle Peep is absolutely loving ever minute of this. 

F18C6F90-831E-4936-A901-E98A679DD972.jpeg

Your Dad is the Pillow guy?

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Lowcountry Hog said:

That’s the craziest thing I’ve read on this board…

Who said anything about Texas deserving to join the SEC?  We let them y’all in because the one hole in our tailgating rotation was brisket and Aggy has fallen woefully short in that area.  

Still at a loss why OU is coming.  Lack of firewater?  

They were our side chick.  Yeah, I suppose we need better taste.

• Like 1

Could their be a scenario where Big 12 adds BYU and begs Nebraska to come back? Maybe give them a bigger piece of the pie? I feel like Nebraska hasn’t been the same since leaving. You could add Cincinnati and Houston to divide the conference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dude, nobody is joining the Big 12 after Bowlsby publicly shitting all over himself. He put the last nail in the coffin.
  • Hook 'Em 3