2023 Transfer Thread - Texas Capitalized, ATM Victimized

2 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Allegedly TFB is reporting that Barron plans to test the portal waters for NIL reasons.

get the fucking pizza company on that shit and keep him in Austin.  McCombs has to know the Schwans people up in Minnesota.  Figure shit out!

7 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Allegedly TFB is reporting that Barron plans to test the portal waters for NIL reasons.

3 minutes ago, NOMAAA said:

get the fucking pizza company on that shit and keep him in Austin.  McCombs has to know the Schwans people up in Minnesota.  Figure shit out!

Someone find out where Worthy's corvette is.

11 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Schools are going to have to add a NIL/contracts team to negotiate annual contracts with players. Good for the players but this is funny, not so funny chaos shit to watch from the sidelines.

• Hook 'Em 1

This doesn’t surprise me at all. I was gonna mention this during worthy’s drama. Worthy and him are close and Barron tried to do it last year with Oregon so no surprise at all.

4 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

No shit Texas is going to try and keep him.   Anyone got 750k and and a 12 month Lambo lease laying around?

maybe he can be the special guest at the Burnt Ends camp and we can pay him with enthusiastic high 5s?  Actually that would be a bad idea.  No one is more competitive than CTJ and he'll beat Whitt in a footrace and force him back into the portal

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

No shit Texas is going to try and keep him.   Anyone got 750k and and a 12 month Lambo lease laying around?

For a player like Jordan, who is a threat but has had some nagging injuries in his past, what would likely be a number to keep him?  $750K seems lofty. 

2 minutes ago, markstanco said:

For a player like Jordan, who is a threat but has had some nagging injuries in his past, what would likely be a number to keep him?  $750K seems lofty. 

A player with his injury history should go where the guaranteed money is.  I’m not a big NFL guy so don’t know much about the draft contracts but aren’t only the top 3 rounds guaranteed money?  If he is a very late round pick or projected to go undrafted then he should come back to Texas and make the guaranteed NIL money.

1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Several Texas coaches (Marion, Banks, Choice, and ADOPP JM Jones) already following:

Big-time track athlete. As a senior, placed second at Florida’s 1A track meet in both the 100 and 200-meter dashes. Also part of a 4x100 squad that took home bronze. Owns personal bests of 10.33 (3.6), 10.53 (2.1), 10.62, 10.72 and 10.83 in the 100. Also played basketball at the prep level. Averaged 10.3 ppg, 5.1 rpg and 4.3 apg as a 12th-grader.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Drool 2

There is little chance Whittington is drafted considering his injury history. We also didn't play him a ton on special teams because of his injury history so the value he might be able to provide there to a NFL team is unknown. He would probably get picked up as a UDFA somewhere but after that, who knows.

Of course, there is the risk of returning to Texas and not making it through the year injury-free. Maybe he's fine with potentially going pro in something other than sports and would trade the risk for the NIL payday. 

4 minutes ago, txhorns said:

A player with his injury history should go where the guaranteed money is.  I’m not a big NFL guy so don’t know much about the draft contracts but aren’t only the top 3 rounds guaranteed money?  If he is a very late round pick or projected to go undrafted then he should come back to Texas and make the guaranteed NIL money.

I think someone else said roster minimum is around $750k and practice squad is $200-250k or something. 

Gotta think it's iffy he'd make a roster

4 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Big-time track athlete. As a senior, placed second at Florida’s 1A track meet in both the 100 and 200-meter dashes. Also part of a 4x100 squad that took home bronze. Owns personal bests of 10.33 (3.6), 10.53 (2.1), 10.62, 10.72 and 10.83 in the 100. Also played basketball at the prep level. Averaged 10.3 ppg, 5.1 rpg and 4.3 apg as a 12th-grader.

Yes please. 

3 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

There is little chance Whittington is drafted considering his injury history. We also didn't play him a ton on special teams because of his injury history so the value he might be able to provide there to a NFL team is unknown. He would probably get picked up as a UDFA somewhere but after that, who knows.

Of course, there is the risk of returning to Texas and not making it through the year injury-free. Maybe he's fine with potentially going pro in something other than sports and would trade the risk for the NIL payday. 

He could get picked up as a UDFA and get hurt the first week of training and never play again.  If that happens he makes nothing in the NFL.  If he signs an NIL deal to come back to Texas and the. Gets hurt he still pockets the NIL money.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Barron was one of the best performers on defense this year IMHO. Not sure we want to replace him, he could be a high draft pick in the future if he continues his trajectory.

Maybe not high but we certainly get noticed. He finished 4th in tackles and lead the team in TFLs. I think he will be a key piece on the defense next year.

Edited by Longhornlove

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Didn't CTJ say this like a day or two ago?

20 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I am guessing that Texas has already made its peace with Worthy heading out. 

Retaining Whittington for better than what he can make as a UFA or late pick is a thing though. 

17 hours ago, closetojumping said:

It wouldn't be anything approaching $1M if it were to come together. I don't think so, at least. The competition is basically whatever his draft grade is. If that is UFA, then low 6 figures probably gets it done. 6th-7th rounders make high 6 figures these days. I assume if the guy sticks around, it's due to a UFA grade and his belief that he can improve that a little with one more solid season.

In Whittington's case, that might be true. If he had another fully healthy season and played with a better, more experienced QB like a year-older Ewers, he might be the rare case where someone values him more highly with that extra year older. Probably not, but not absurd.

I'm pretty sure you could have looked up exactly what he said pretty easily.

3 minutes ago, pacman said:

We added 35 new players last year.

We are already set to bring 21 in recruiting for the 2023 class. IT seems to think we will add an additional 9 or so this year, for a total of 30.

totaling 65 new players in two years.

spacer.png

And that sir, is how you turn over a roster. 

• Hook 'Em 9

9 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

We would take him and consider him an upgrade to the room/roster if he's like our 4th WR- right?

Second part of what you said-  yes.  Our 3rd best receiver had 4 catches this year.   I still can't believe that's an actual stat.

Wease was like OU's 4th guy though.  We can easily find more proven guys... guess the real question is how much value you place on his prospect pedigree.