[News/Updates] Mass Shooting at Robb Elementary Uvalde - 5/24/2022

Ghost of LL

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/24366209-critical-incident-review-active-shooter-at-robb-elementary-school

DOJ published its critical incident review of the Uvalde shooting. 

TLDR: The cops fucked up and caused more children to die at the hands of a madman. Plus, DOJ also found that the repeated lying about first responders helping people only made the misery worse for the parents, and many parents whose children had been killed were first told their children were ok. Just an absolute shitshow and failure by that town to protect and serve its citizens.

cascading failures of leadership, decision-making, tactics, policy, and training

In addition to the overall failure to appreciate the active shooter nature of the situation, responders also failed to act promptly even after hearing gunshots around 12:21 p.m., which should have spurred greater urgency to confront the subject but instead set off a renewed search for keys.

i'm untrained and untested in these situations, but i cannot believe that i would be so chicken shit as these oath-swearing professionals.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

CliffsNotes version: 

• Victim in classroom 111 and 112 could hear officers outside the room as they waited to be rescued, Garland said.
  • Garland outlined the confusion at the school. Some officers not knowing who was in charge or what to do. Some thought the shooter was dead. 
  • Victims remained trapped with thier shooter for more than hour after officers arrived, Garland said.
  • Some officers had no active shooter training, some had inapropriate training and and some lacked critical response training, and a vast majority had never trained together with different agencies, Garland said.
  • Some injured victims were put on buses without medical attention. Some families were told thier family members were alive when they were not, Garland said.
  • U.S. Associate Attorney General Vanita Gupta highlighted the many mistakes that were made that day, including families being told a bus of survivors was on the way to a pick up point and it never arrived

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/special-reports/uvalde-school-shooting/uvalde-texas-school-shooting-justice-department-report/285-0e2ddc9a-003c-473d-abf3-34c1c5faaf40

Damnit. I can search out a word perfect enough for how I feel reading the docs posted above and this article or how many of us have felt since the time of the incident and then reading about the catastrophic failures of LE and the consequences of those failures. Again failure and catastrophic aren’t good enough words. Fuck. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Communications difficulties exacerbated these problems. Per UCISD policies, Chief Arredondo was the on-scene incident commander, but he lacked a radio, having discarded his radios during his arrival thinking they were unnecessary. And although he attempted to communicate with officers in other parts of the hallway via phone, unfortunately, on multiple occasions, he directed officers intending to gain entry into the classrooms to stop, because he appeared to determine that other victims should first be removed from nearby classrooms to prevent further injury.

I do wonder what the rest of this guy's life is going to be like.  We talk about these guys 86ing themselves, but it really is surprising that he hasn't.  He is consistently named on TV and now this report as the giant pussy that got kids killed.

Does he have some mental break where he can totally disassociate himself from this?  Has he just drank himself into a permanent stupor?   

On 12/5/2023 at 2:02 PM, hornfan785 said:

Yeah, their whole "we didn't hear any kids" excuse sounds like something they came up with after they all met up to get their stories on the same page. Complete bullshit excuse.

Did they think all the kids went home for the day early or something?  If you don't hear any kids, then even more reason to go in there blasting away.

• Hook 'Em 3

33 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

I do wonder what the rest of this guy's life is going to be like.  We talk about these guys 86ing themselves, but it really is surprising that he hasn't.  He is consistently named on TV and now this report as the giant pussy that got kids killed.

Does he have some mental break where he can totally disassociate himself from this?  Has he just drank himself into a permanent stupor?   

I don't believe he has. He was always a respected guy before this. Remember he was elected to city council just before I think.

37 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

i'm untrained and untested in these situations, but i cannot believe that i would be so chicken shit as these oath-swearing professionals.

These were small town cops. Dumb, poorly trained, I'm guessing most of them never had any risk taking inside them. It's just a safe job to have in a small town like Uvalde. In the moment they totally puckered and/or convinced themselves they were doing the right thing. Following somebody's orders. And more kids died as a result. 

It took a cedar chopper from Leakey to go in and take him out. Almost got killed in the process.

Sorry to rehash the facts but I just heard a radio report about the DOJ conclusions.  So the cops arrived just 3 minutes after the shooting began and did nothing for over 70 minutes?  So is it correct that the cops continued to hear shots during those 70 minutes and still did not engage the shooter?  

That is correct.  They claim it was a mixup with radio comms and chain of command and fog of war.  What nobody in charge of Texas or LEO wants to admit Is they hesitated because a violent person had a weapon of mass murder and they feared for their lives.  Understandable human behavior.   But we must not inspect the shooter’s side, we must continue to have investigations and reports and consultants into why people like being shot to death beyond recognition.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, HouTex said:

Sorry to rehash the facts but I just heard a radio report about the DOJ conclusions.  So the cops arrived just 3 minutes after the shooting began and did nothing for over 70 minutes?  So is it correct that the cops continued to hear shots during those 70 minutes and still did not engage the shooter?  

That is right.  This is the opening paragraph to the substantive part.

“Help!” “Help!” “Help!”

“I don’t want to die. My teacher is dead.”

“One of my teachers is still alive but shot.”

“Officer!” “Officer!”

“Are they [officers] in the building?”

“There is a lot of dead bodies.”

These were the words of nine-and ten-year-old children at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas, on May 24, 2022, during a call with 911. At this point in time, these students and three teachers had been trapped in classrooms 111 and 112 with an active shooter for 37 minutes. This call lasted for nearly 27 minutes. Even though law enforcement were in the hallway, just outside the classrooms, it was another 13 minutes after the call ended before law enforcement rescued the survivors. In fact, for 77 agonizing, harrowing minutes, children and staff were trapped with an active shooter. They experienced unimaginable horror. The survivors witnessed unspeakable violence and the death of classmates and teachers. Tragically, 19 students and two teachers perished.

• Rage+1 2

" Another related factor complicating the scene was the sheer number of unnecessary officers who entered classrooms 111 and 112 after the shooter was neutralized."

"The crime scene teams documented and processed an extremely challenging scene. Five teams worked tirelessly to document and process the entirety of the crime scene multiple times. However, the hellfire trigger system635 was not initially catalogued as evidence, as the crime scene teams were not aware of what the device was or that it was integral to the investigation. 635 The hellfire is a device that allows semi-automatic firearms to fire rounds at an increased rate. Three days later, investigators learned that the device may have been on the scene after reviewing closed-circuit television (CCTV) footage from inside the hallway and hearing the rapidity of the gunfire during the subject’s initial assault on classrooms 111 and 112. Because of the copious crime scene photography, the crime scene team was able to locate the hellfire in a trash receptacle in the classroom. Notably, the device was incidentally photographed on the floor in crime scene photos from days prior."

"Walk-throughs of the crime scene also hindered the work of the crime scene teams. Multiple interview participants who were present reported an excessive amount of crime scene walk-throughs by senior officials in the hours and days following the incident. For example, the TXDPS regional director walked past the law enforcement officers bringing injured and deceased victims out of the classrooms and entered classrooms 111 and 112 with no intended purpose or action identifiable. "

"When these walk-throughs occur, the processing of the crime scene must come to a halt, which is particularly disruptive given the methodical nature that the job requires. Additionally, they unnecessarily compromise the crime scene. Some officials walked through the scene multiple times, often not alone. Furthermore, none of the officials filed reports after their walk-throughs, as is reportedly required by TXDPS."

"With a major storm forecasted for the area, there was an urgent need to process the car wreck crime scene. Despite an offer of assistance to process the vehicle and associated evidence by the FBI’s ERT, TXDPS declined and the scene was not processed that day. The storm brought heavy rainfall and winds that washed out the crime scene and compromised the evidence, which included one of the subject’s two rifles, casings from shooting at the funeral home employees, and other personal items inside the vehicle."

Some traumatized parents, teachers, and even journalists didn’t respect the protocol of the crime scene sweep?  That’s their newest excuse?  

one of these guys finally eats a round by February.  And a half dozen more follow suit.  And I will laugh my ass off all the way to my next $1000/plate Abbott dinner.  And LEO command will line up to thank me.   it’d be sad if it wasn’t so fucking easy.  Fucking cowards.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, HouTex said:

Well, you see, they didn't realize that kids were there...in the middle of a school day. And no one bothered to check any of the other rooms for 24 minutes until one of the cops opened a door (to a room full of scared, but well-trained, quiet kids) on the opposite end of the hallway only to make room for his feet, so he could get more comfortable in his prone shooting position behind cover. True story.

Though I believe that most--not all--of the shots occurred in those initial 3 minutes. Leaving all the AR bullet holes that convinced them that they were outgunned and the best (safest) choice was to wait for more firepower.

They very easily convinced themselves that the shooter was alone in the classroom (because it was "too quiet"), and waiting is what they're trained to do in barricaded shooter situations. They were scared shitless of the AR (they've said as much) and didn't want to contemplate having to barge in if they knew kids were still in there. So they made stupid assumptions and cowered. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

32 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

" Another related factor complicating the scene was the sheer number of unnecessary officers who entered classrooms 111 and 112 after the shooter was neutralized."

"The crime scene teams documented and processed an extremely challenging scene. Five teams worked tirelessly to document and process the entirety of the crime scene multiple times. However, the hellfire trigger system635 was not initially catalogued as evidence, as the crime scene teams were not aware of what the device was or that it was integral to the investigation. 635 The hellfire is a device that allows semi-automatic firearms to fire rounds at an increased rate. Three days later, investigators learned that the device may have been on the scene after reviewing closed-circuit television (CCTV) footage from inside the hallway and hearing the rapidity of the gunfire during the subject’s initial assault on classrooms 111 and 112. Because of the copious crime scene photography, the crime scene team was able to locate the hellfire in a trash receptacle in the classroom. Notably, the device was incidentally photographed on the floor in crime scene photos from days prior."

"Walk-throughs of the crime scene also hindered the work of the crime scene teams. Multiple interview participants who were present reported an excessive amount of crime scene walk-throughs by senior officials in the hours and days following the incident. For example, the TXDPS regional director walked past the law enforcement officers bringing injured and deceased victims out of the classrooms and entered classrooms 111 and 112 with no intended purpose or action identifiable. "

"When these walk-throughs occur, the processing of the crime scene must come to a halt, which is particularly disruptive given the methodical nature that the job requires. Additionally, they unnecessarily compromise the crime scene. Some officials walked through the scene multiple times, often not alone. Furthermore, none of the officials filed reports after their walk-throughs, as is reportedly required by TXDPS."

d0bf0c5f-45a1-4b10-af7a-f96ed413fe97_tex

52 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

"With a major storm forecasted for the area, there was an urgent need to process the car wreck crime scene. Despite an offer of assistance to process the vehicle and associated evidence by the FBI’s ERT, TXDPS declined and the scene was not processed that day. The storm brought heavy rainfall and winds that washed out the crime scene and compromised the evidence, which included one of the subject’s two rifles, casings from shooting at the funeral home employees, and other personal items inside the vehicle."

It's not like there was any doubt on who committed the crime.

3 hours ago, Captainant said:

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/24366209-critical-incident-review-active-shooter-at-robb-elementary-school

DOJ published its critical incident review of the Uvalde shooting. 

TLDR: The cops fucked up and caused more children to die at the hands of a madman. Plus, DOJ also found that the repeated lying about first responders helping people only made the misery worse for the parents, and many parents whose children had been killed were first told their children were ok. Just an absolute shitshow and failure by that town state country to protect and serve its citizens.

fixy

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

Amen. And there were dozens of untrained and untested parents outside willing to say "Get on my hip and don't miss."

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Just an absolute shitshow and failure by that town state country to protect and serve its citizens.

Oh, also, I'm really tired of people calling this a policy FAILURE.  When you deliberately design a policy/set of policies that is nearly certain to have a specific outcome, and that outcome occurs, that is not a FAILURE of the policy.  That is a SUCCESS of the policy.  That outcome tells you that the policy is working.  If you point your plane nose down and dive to the ground at 500 mph, the horrific crash and explosion isn't a failure -- it's the proof that you succeeded in your plan to fly the plane into the ground at 500 mph.

That's right, folks.  The shattered bodies of children lying in gallons of blood tells you that our policy choices are working as designed and intended.  So....WINNING!

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

I'm sorry to welcome you all to the pain/outrage S. Florida has been feeling for years prior to Uvalde.  I told my kids after MSD, the student walk outs, pushing for meaningful gun control, and police policies would change nothing.  Just talk till the nation lost focus and moved on until the next heartbreaking shooting.  Unless when they turn 18 they vote in every election and make sure all of their friends do too.  Uvalde kids will have to wait a lot longer to change things.  Those poor kids and families.

This news while important will revictimize parents and loved ones and simultaneously galvanize resolve to resist change by others. 

sucks

• Hook 'Em 2

I finally read the news story of today’s DOJ report from my Apple News feed.  It says the “majority” of the victims were shot in the initial barrage before the cops appeared on the scene.  After they appeared it seems that shooting was sporadic but it’s unclear.  The cops’ lame excuse was that they were treating it like a barricade/hostage situation rather than an active shooter situation.  I could not tell from the news report how many victims were shot after the cops arrived and how many victims might have been saved from bleeding out had the cops immediately engaged the shooter. It may be impossible to know.  I’d like to know those things for my own curiosity, but it doesn’t change the fact that the cops didn’t do what they should have done.  

On 12/5/2023 at 2:17 PM, Goredho said:

I had forgot this happened.  I mean, I know it happened, but I don't think about it anymore except when this thread gets bumped.  

Not coming after you because I don’t know what you’re about and I think most people are the same way you are.  But I have thought about this incident every single school day since it happened.  My last thought every single time I drop my little girls off at school, as I watch them walk away and get outside my ability to protect them, is “my god I hope they don’t get slaughtered by someone with an AR15 today.”  I thought it this morning.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 8

6 minutes ago, HouTex said:

I finally read the news story of today’s DOJ report from my Apple News feed.  It says the “majority” of the victims were shot in the initial barrage before the cops appeared on the scene.  After they appeared it seems that shooting was sporadic but it’s unclear.  The cops’ lame excuse was that they were treating it like a barricade/hostage situation rather than an active shooter situation.  I could not tell from the news report how many victims were shot after the cops arrived and how many victims might have been saved from bleeding out had the cops immediately engaged the shooter. It may be impossible to know.  I’d like to know those things for my own curiosity, but it doesn’t change the fact that the cops didn’t do what they should have done.  

Yes, initial barrage followed by sporadic shooting. By the time the first cop showed up in the school, there were no doubt dozens injured and likely many already dead. The issue is that those that weren't dead then lay there for 77 minutes with no help. Even if they got him immediately, though, it would have been awful.

There was occasional gunfire, including at the initial officers that caused them to pull back and set the entire "waiting game" in motion. As for further shooting, the report talks about someone in the classroom saying that a person outside the room said to say if they needed help. A student responded and then was shot by the gunman. There were other times when there were a few rounds shot off here and there.

No doubt officers should have entered but I do think the fog of war is a real reason. Terrible communication, a situation where no one knew who was in charge, and the person in charge was not really leading while everyone else stood around waiting for an order and didn't want to overstep their bounds. I have no doubt that any number of officers there would have gone ASAP in if they had been told to. No one ever gave the order and they stood by waiting for word from the higher ups. Imagine being a mid-level cop who has been told to wait. Are you going to go in guns blazing?

I filtered through the report (it's 600+ pages). The thing that I didn't know is they made entry and then it was roughly a minute before they actually engaged the shooter. I thought it was immediate but the guy was hiding in a closet.

5 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

Not coming after you because I don’t know what you’re about and I think most people are the same way you are.  But I have thought about this incident every single school day since it happened.  My last thought every single time I drop my little girls off at school, as I watch them walk away and get outside my ability to protect them, is “my god I hope they don’t get slaughtered by someone with an AR15 today.”  I thought it this morning.

I'm the exact same. That statement of "I forgot this happened" sickens me. Maybe that's why they continue to happen.

What is bullshit is since the early 2000s.  LEOs were taught.  Active shooter scene.  You go in.  If someone arrives at the same time as you.  You tag team.  But you go in.  You go in until the threat is stopped.  You walk by someone who needs triage.  You go in and you eliminate the threat.  You fucking go in.  They hosted a regional active shooter drill a few months prior.  You FUCKING go in.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

But remember the important takeaways from this:

1) cops are heroes, they are always heroes, and how dare you question them, fly your blue line flag or else you're a commie traitor.

2) ARs are incredibly dangerous firearms, so much so that nearly 400 trained law officers backed the fuck off and allowed children to bleed to death rather than possibly maybe facing the business-end of an AR.

3) we need to not only allow, but ENCOURAGE, every person in the country to get an AR of their own, because what could go wrong?

4) this probably could have been prevented if only there were no more drag queen performances.  And also, if we banned books that make even a vague reference to human beings having genitals.

Don't believe me?  Watch what your state leadership does and says, and makes their priorities, next legislative session.

5) School vouchers would have absolutely prevented this

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3
  • Rage+1 3

1 hour ago, HouTex said:

Good chance Eva the teacher survives, she was alive when shooter was finally killed but died shortly after.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 2

12 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I have no doubt that any number of officers there would have gone ASAP in if they had been told to. No one ever gave the order and they stood by waiting for word from the higher ups. Imagine being a mid-level cop who has been told to wait. Are you going to go in guns blazing?

If they had known with certainty that there were still kids in there from the onset, I bet a couple of the officers go in without orders, as it's in their training to move and act in an active shooter scenario. Though, there was also the whole "is the classroom door locked or not" fiasco.

That the communication and logic was so poor that it couldn't be passed to them that class was in session and that there were almost certainly children in that classroom is mind-numbing. And not a single fucking one of them thought to check the other classrooms for kids that they could get the fuck out of the school. Any one of the teachers in the other classrooms could have immediately verified how many kids were likely in the shooter's rooms.

10 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

If they had known with certainty that there were still kids in there from the onset, I bet a couple of the officers go in without orders, as it's in their training to move and act in an active shooter scenario. Though, there was also the whole "is the classroom door locked or not" fiasco.

That the communication and logic was so poor that it couldn't be passed to them that class was in session and that there were almost certainly children in that classroom is mind-numbing. And not a single fucking one of them thought to check the other classrooms for kids that they could get the fuck out of the school. Any one of the teachers in the other classrooms could have immediately verified how many kids were likely in the shooter's rooms.

Personally, I think that once the number of officers on scene exceeded a certain number (no idea what that tipping point was - 10? 20? 30?), that's how and when paralysis set in.  ALL of them were looking for someone to take charge and issue real orders, nobody did, and when the orders WERE issued (those orders being to stand down), there was enough confusion and hesitation about chain of command that paralysis resulted.

Ironically, if only 1 or 2 cops had responded, I suspect they'd have been much more likely to engage.  See, e.g., the Nashville school shooting - 4 cops responded and immediately went in.  See, e.g., Allen outlet mall shootings -- a single fucking cop went and took the shooter out BY HIMSELF.

There are few things in this society more dangerous than cops in a group.  They become a tribe that cares only about themselves, and protecting themselves and the tribe.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Personally, I think that once the number of officers on scene exceeded a certain number (no idea what that tipping point was - 10? 20? 30?), that's how and when paralysis set in.  ALL of them were looking for someone to take charge and issue real orders, nobody did, and when the orders WERE issued (those orders being to stand down), there was enough confusion and hesitation about chain of command that paralysis resulted.

Ironically, if only 1 or 2 cops had responded, I suspect they'd have been much more likely to engage.  See, e.g., the Nashville school shooting - 4 cops responded and immediately went in.  See, e.g., Allen outlet mall shootings -- a single fucking cop went and took the shooter out BY HIMSELF.

There are few things in this society more dangerous than cops in a group.  They become a tribe that cares only about themselves, and protecting themselves and the tribe.

^

Good points.  We are really dumb as fucking rocks in groups, aren't we?  It is an absolute miracle we've come this far as a species.  

But hey, on the bright side...if you're taking a drink every time they keep mentioning "It was the Doors!" game this year, at least you're still sober.  So that's something since they've changed the narrative once again.

I honestly think once the first one kills himself, as you point out, the tribal mentality will take over and multiple more will follow suit.  I live with a lot of shit, many of us do, and I have seen things I never thought possible, but I simply could not live as long as all several hundred of them could with those sounds in my head.  You know what?  Fuck it, it's me.  They're just made of sterner stuff and lived to serve another day.  I guess that's what it is.  I'm just a gaping wuss and they're the heroes.  That's the only explanation left because I sure as shit don't see another one.  How do you not play that audio loop in your head and feel your hands clench and swallow a bottle of pills?  The 300 mentally strongest people in Texas all happened to be in the same spot at the same time, I suppose.  I'd sure as fuck have checked out by now.  I get that nobody wants to appear weak and take the easy way out in front (virtually) of their brothers in arms.  But how in the fuck do these people pass each other on the street every single day?  

Oh right, right.  Just following orders.  Or lack thereof.  I swear there's a place in Germany I heard that same excuse 75 years ago.  

6 hours ago, HouTex said:

SIAP,

Even worse, an officer had him in his crosshairs before he even entered the school but was afraid of down-range consequences of missing. So he called in for permission to shoot, but got no reply.

Edited by JohnnyRage
  • Rage+1 2

So the cops that didn’t want to go in when the shooter was alive and shooting, couldn’t keep out after the shooter was dead?  Who would want to go into those classrooms after the fact that didn’t have to?
To act like they are doing thier jobs and were there within 3 hrs. Look at dead kids, disrupt actual work, press conference and hit Applebee's by 4 pm. Then Clock out.

Cops used to run speed traps; patrol neighborhoods, engage with the community etc. They don't do shit anymore. They went from stopping you for minor shit to not even patrolling anything ever for any reason. And no it's not budget, I'm out in Lakeway and they got a new giant Headquarters and giant budget.

22 minutes ago, Steel Shank said:

Sorry if I missed it, but was the classroom door unlocked all the time?

(I took down my Texas flag from my flagpole because of this.)

Yes, unlocked. The dude in charge said he pulled on the door and that it was locked, but it would have taken a key to lock it.

6 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

But remember the important takeaways from this:

1) cops are heroes, they are always heroes, and how dare you question them, fly your blue line flag or else you're a commie traitor.

2) ARs are incredibly dangerous firearms, so much so that nearly 400 trained law officers backed the fuck off and allowed children to bleed to death rather than possibly maybe facing the business-end of an AR.

3) we need to not only allow, but ENCOURAGE, every person in the country to get an AR of their own, because what could go wrong?

4) this probably could have been prevented if only there were no more drag queen performances.  And also, if we banned books that make even a vague reference to human beings having genitals.

Don't believe me?  Watch what your state leadership does and says, and makes their priorities, next legislative session.

I would but ERCOT grid went down again...

1 hour ago, Born to Run said:

To act like they are doing thier jobs and were there within 3 hrs. Look at dead kids, disrupt actual work, press conference and hit Applebee's by 4 pm. Then Clock out.

Cops used to run speed traps; patrol neighborhoods, engage with the community etc. They don't do shit anymore. They went from stopping you for minor shit to not even patrolling anything ever for any reason. And no it's not budget, I'm out in Lakeway and they got a new giant Headquarters and giant budget.

After I posted that, I wondered if being in there and seeing the dead kids or even just all the blood would entitle them to a paid 2 week mental health break, so many of them made sure to make it in there and be seen. 

That may sound cynical, but then I figure they’d all just lie about being in there to get the free vacation. 

that more closely reflects my general opinion of cops as a group. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Steel Shank said:

Sorry if I missed it, but was the classroom door unlocked all the time?

(I took down my Texas flag from my flagpole because of this.)

1 hour ago, JohnnyRage said:

Yes, unlocked. The dude in charge said he pulled on the door and that it was locked, but it would have taken a key to lock it.

I think that’s the reasonable conclusion, but the report only goes so far to make clear they doubt the story that it was locked without officially saying it was unlocked.  

No one knows if it was unlocked or not. The report states they put in a key and turned it to access but that doesn't mean it was locked.

I'll be damned, Robb County has convened a grand jury to consider charges for law enforcement officers who sat idle during the massacre

https://www.uvaldeleadernews.com/articles/grand-jury-begins-examining-robb-school-investigation/

A jury has been convened in Uvalde to determine if law enforcement officers will face criminal charges related to the attack at Robb Elementary School.

On Friday, Jan. 19, a dozen people were selected to serve on a special grand jury that is expected to spend at least six months studying the May 24, 2022, Robb school shooting investigation.

Jury duties

A grand jury reviews dozens of cases presented by law enforcement officials and they decided to “true bill or no bill,” requiring affirmative votes from at least nine jurors of whether they think a felony case has enough evidence to move forward with an indictment.

In Uvalde County, misdemeanor cases are handles by the county attorney.

For the Robb investigation, the process is a little different, with jurors focusing on the single topic of the Robb shooting, and serving as investigative tools for the prosecutor with power to subpoena witnesses and compel evidence.

This type of jury is utilized for complex cases that may be labor-intensive, including public corruption cases.

Jurors may meet about twice a month, depending upon work schedules, as they hear testimony from witnesses and study the case presented by Mitchell. At the end of the procedure, they should make a recommendation and possibly issue a report on their findings.

Plans to convene the grand jury began last year, and took several months. Timing played out in such a way that the jury convened one day after the U.S. Department of Justice presented a nearly 600-page report critical of local leaders actions, citing disorganization and lack of unified command during the Robb attack.

An ongoing debate, particularly seen in the wake of the Robb shooting, is whether police have a moral imperative to take action sooner in mass casualty situations, which often see a delay before an attacker is confronted.

Though medical findings have not been made public, families allege some of those who died after the attack might have lived if bleeding had been staunched and they received medical treatment.

Several Uvalde Police officers who were on the scene within minutes charged forward toward the adjoined classrooms where the attacker was, but were repelled after he fired at them. Two officers were wounded by shrapnel, and though one tried again to move forward, no others would follow. Officers told others the attacker had an AR rifle, and the destructive power of the weapon was likely a factor in guiding police decisions.

From the article it seems that since the county attorney handles misdemeanors, this GJ is (presumably) only considering felony charges. I am thankful to see some actual accountability coming.

• Hook 'Em 1

If any sort of criminal charges are filed against those cowards, that’s when they start offing themselves. They won’t be able to handle it.

They should’ve just told them that the shooter was black and selling weed to the kids. They would’ve gone in and shot him in no time.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, texas08 said:

If any sort of criminal charges are filed against those cowards, that’s when they start offing themselves. They won’t be able to handle it.

They should’ve just told them that the shooter was black and selling weed to the kids. They would’ve gone in and shot him in no time.

You know, it's sad but true.  It'd eventually cause a lot of disinformation later and I'd get fired and pariah'd by the community and be a punchline on Fox & Friends, but if I was an SRO or principal or asst. police chief of whatever, I call it in, "An armed Black drag queen is barricaded inside the school and is shooting the children and teachers!"  Within 90 seconds, the whole thing would be over with.  I'd be the asshole, but at least far fewer children would be dead.  

31 minutes ago, 4th and 5 said:

This notion of law enforcement waiting for orders is nonsense. They already had their orders. 

If a cop pulls you over for something and says he’s going to write you a ticket and you say “no you’re not”, he’s not going to radio back to HQ for orders.

20 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

If a cop pulls you over for something and says he’s going to write you a ticket and you say “no you’re not”, he’s not going to radio back to HQ for orders.

More accurately, the cop isn't going to radio back to HQ for orders when he sees you speeding. 

• Hook 'Em 2