[Discussion] Mass Shooting at Uvalde Elementary School

3 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Or maybe, and hear me out here, make it slightly harder to obtain guns? Close some third party sale loopholes, and actually run a legit background and psych test?

people regardless of age can and will always find a grievance. Not getting laid, don’t have friends, favorite tv show got cancelled, whatever. The original Going Postal was a guy who hated his job at the post office. Regardless of the cause, the obvious constant is the actual weapon used to commit the crime.  Anyone saying otherwise is deluding themselves or simply doesn’t give a fuck about human life. 

Yeah, I’m definitely thinking we at least try “fewer guns”  before testing the “more prostitutes” hypothesis. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

11 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Don’t take this as a personal attack because it’s not, but this post shows just how out of touch you are with reality in regards to the education system and the education system in Texas. The majority of campuses in Texas are operating at a double digit instructor deficit. Not school districts, individual campuses. And I’m not sure that doubling the pay of every teacher would help remedy that problem. Teachers are leaving in droves and they’re not being replaced at even half that rate.

All true. Some of it was pandemic related but we couldn’t even get subs this year. Principal, AP, counselor, office staff, etc ready to jump in and teach at any moment. One adult per class is doing good. Two is a pipe dream.

Also, most districts spend about 87% of their budget on staff. To put two people in each room, it wouldn’t double the budget, but it would be a significant increase. Texas taxpayers would never go for it.

18 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Don’t take this as a personal attack because it’s not, but this post shows just how out of touch you are with reality in regards to the education system and the education system in Texas. The majority of campuses in Texas are operating at a double digit instructor deficit. Not school districts, individual campuses. And I’m not sure that doubling the pay of every teacher would help remedy that problem. Teachers are leaving in droves and they’re not being replaced at even half that rate.

Gee, I can't imagine why.   Who wouldn't want to go to work where every single thing they say is parsed out for CRT, they get paid shit and, oh yeah, their work environment is more dangerous than a cop working the south side of Chicago. 

Can't figure out why there's a shortage...

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

I’m sure the same people who were yelling and pounding fists at district meetings over mask mandates will smoothly pivot to outrage over our youngest, most vulnerable members of society being targeted regularly by young men at schools.  

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, Homercles said:

I’m sure the same people who were yelling and pounding fists at district meetings over mask mandates will smoothly pivot to outrage over our youngest, most vulnerable members of society being targeted regularly by young men at schools.  

well the most recent trendy attack on teachers is to accuse them of being "groomers" because they acknowledge that gay people have a right to exist

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

39 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

With all due respect, and I do mean with all due respect, fuck you (don’t take that as a personal attack because it’s not).  You sure made a lot of assumptions about me from my comment.

If we make the requisite changes, the teachers will come.  Pay is one lever.  But reducing the student/teacher ratio would also have a significant on impact teachers’ job satisfaction.  I went through teacher certification and spent time in classrooms, and one of the main reasons I didn’t end up staying in teaching was because the teachers are just overwhelmed, mostly because they’re responsible for too many kids.

ETA: I say low hanging fruit meaning politically compared to gun control.

Edited by Snake Diggity

With all due respect, and I do mean with all due respect, fuck you (don’t take that as a personal attack because it’s not).  You sure made a lot of assumptions about me from my comment.

If we make the requisite changes, the teachers will come.  Pay is one lever.  But reducing the student/teacher ratio would also have a significant impact teachers job satisfaction.  I went through teacher certification and spent time in classrooms, and one of the main reasons I didn’t end up staying in teaching was because the teachers are just overwhelmed, mostly because they’re responsible for too many kids.

This post is proof that my assumptions were spot on. You have absolutely no idea what you’re talking about and no grasp on the reality of the situation. There’s a better chance that Greg Abbot stands up and does the hokey pokey this afternoon at a press conference than there is of being able to cut the student:teacher ratio in half. But by all means, continue. I love a good train wreck as much as the next person
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Fuck You 1

10 hours ago, immamac said:

I'm about to put this whole fucking website on a timeout. I'm legitimately considering shutting down the site for the rest of the week. 

9 hours ago, clapclapclap said:

Maybe consider selling it to Elon Musk instead?

He'd just offer you $.40 on the dollar after he finds out that 60% of the posters are Derka socks

• Haha 5

10 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

If we make the requisite changes, the teachers will come.  Pay is one lever.  But reducing the student/teacher ratio would also have a significant on impact teachers’ job satisfaction.  I went through teacher certification and spent time in classrooms, and one of the main reasons I didn’t end up staying in teaching was because the teachers are just overwhelmed, mostly because they’re responsible for too many kids.

ETA: I say low hanging fruit meaning politically compared to gun control.

Fuck you for using words that i said to infer things about me!!!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

8 hours ago, Cajun said:

What are you doing to change it?

Emo posts on Surly?

1 -- I've gotten my kids out of this country.  I strongly suspect they aren't coming back (at least not to live here).  Gotta take care of your own first.

2 -- I have contributed money and voted for candidates, over and over, who support sensible gun control, red flag laws, and the like.  BUT....I live in Texas, so I might as well be pissing in the wind, because my fellow Texas relentlessly oppose any leadership who would do anything but make guns MORE accessible to MORE people.

If your point is that I'm wasting my time and not accomplishing shit, I'd agree with you.  In Texas, there's literally nothing any of us can do.  That's why I've said repeatedly that events like yesterday are not a policy failure -- they are a policy SUCCESS.  Yesterday is a result of our laws and culture around guns being exactly like we want them to be here.  Congratulations.  You've won.  I'll hand over my saber and sidearm in honorable surrender.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 2

15 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

If the police allowed the murder suspect to enter a school, then I have to give them less than an “A” on the pursuit. 

And yeah, no facts to support wtf happened yet.  Just sayin…

He had a rifle apparently.  Not hard to shoot out a glass door and you're in.  Assuming it was even locked?

My daughter will be enrolling at UT next year to study....elementary education.  She does get some crazy looks from some when she says that but I of course support it 100% and admire her passion.  But god damn I hope some of all the shit discussed above gets improved in some form.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, PantsTent said:

My daughter will be enrolling at UT next year to study....elementary education.  She does get some crazy looks from some when she says that but I of course support it 100% and admire her passion.  But god damn I hope some of all the shit discussed above gets improved in some form.

Narrator: "It won't"

Dropped my 5th grader off at school this morning. There was a police cruiser parked out in front of the school entrance and two more out on the street. The cop by the entrance was waving at kids walking inside the building. Never seen that before.

From what I understand cops will be hanging out on campus through the last day of school.

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

1 -- I've gotten my kids out of this country.  I strongly suspect they aren't coming back (at least not to live here).  Gotta take care of your own first.

2 -- I have contributed money and voted for candidates, over and over, who support sensible gun control, red flag laws, and the like.  BUT....I live in Texas, so I might as well be pissing in the wind, because my fellow Texas relentlessly oppose any leadership who would do anything but make guns MORE accessible to MORE people.

If your point is that I'm wasting my time and not accomplishing shit, I'd agree with you.  In Texas, there's literally nothing any of us can do.  That's why I've said repeatedly that events like yesterday are not a policy failure -- they are a policy SUCCESS.  Yesterday is a result of our laws and culture around guns being exactly like we want them to be here.  Congratulations.  You've won.  I'll hand over my saber and sidearm in honorable surrender.

What policy's specifically negate crazy?  Because this fuck nut was crazy.  Bullied at school.  Multiple fights.  Cut up and carved up his own face.  Murdered his grandmother.  Led the police on a chase to a school.

They keep going after schools ala copycat killers because the schools are "soft".  You want bipartisan support?  Harden the schools.  Not turn them into prisons, but fund ways to better lock them down.  Apparently this was an older design, with doors that led directly to the outside.  No inner hallway.  He was able to go right in, and probably then lock the doors from the inside.

But this guy was bat-crap crazy.  Who's to say his chase doesn't coincide with recess and he tries to plow his truck into a line of walking kids?  

• Fuck You 10
  • Rage+1 1

11 minutes ago, PantsTent said:

Shit rarely gets better on its own. It's up to we the people to demand more from our leaders. So far, state leadership is more concerned about illegal immigration than it is our failing power grid and education system

1 minute ago, BabaYaga said:

What policy's specifically negate crazy?  Because this fuck nut was crazy.  Bullied at school.  Multiple fights.  Cut up and carved up his own face.  Murdered his grandmother.  Led the police on a chase to a school.

They keep going after schools ala copycat killers because the schools are "soft".  You want bipartisan support?  Harden the schools.  Not turn them into prisons, but fund ways to better lock them down.  Apparently this was an older design, with doors that led directly to the outside.  No inner hallway.  He was able to go right in, and probably then lock the doors from the inside.

But this guy was bat-crap crazy.  Who's to say his chase doesn't coincide with recess and he tries to plow his truck into a line of walking kids?  

WHAT COULD WE POSSIBLE DO1/1/1/1/1/1/1/

Just now, BabaYaga said:

Wait, so your solution instead of preventing this person from just walking in and buying a gun and lots of ammunition is to harden schools because he could run kids over with his truck just as easily as shooting them point blank in the face inside of a school? 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, F250 said:

Dropped my 5th grader off at school this morning. There was a police cruiser parked out in front of the school entrance and two more out on the street. The cop by the entrance was waving at kids walking inside the building. Never seen that before.

From what I understand cops will be hanging out on campus through the last day of school.

There is a cop parked out front of my kids middle school and almost always at the high school.  They are also newer schools, with double doors at each entrance that you have to be buzzed in to enter.  The elementary also has volunteer dads walking the grounds every single day (WatchDOGS)

4 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Please stop. It's gross and offensive.

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Hook 'Em 3

There is a cop parked out front of my kids middle school and almost always at the high school.  They are also newer schools, with double doors at each entrance that you have to be buzzed in to enter.  The elementary also has volunteer dads walking the grounds every single day (WatchDOGS)

The state powers actively want to take funds away from public schools though so there goes your whole premise.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, immamac said:

Wait, so your solution instead of preventing this person from just walking in and buying a gun and lots of ammunition is to harden schools because he could run kids over with his truck just as easily as shooting them point blank in the face inside of a school? 

So no more gun and ammo purchases?  That's it?  

The point was he was crazy, destructive, and psychotic.  Talk about taking a gun from him to stop his rage is like arguing taking away a knife and fork is going to help a compulsive eater lose weight.  

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 7

13 minutes ago, PantsTent said:

Let me give you a piece of advice. Have her go straight into a masters program in education, and then have her target private schools exclusively. They're the last consistent bastion of schools and education that get the kind of support that she probably thinks about for teaching as a rewarding profession. 

She's probably an amazing kid that wants to go to low income area and make a difference. I hate to say it, but you should try to extinguish that kind of human optimism if possible. 

• Rage+1 1

Just now, BabaYaga said:

So no more gun and ammo purchases?  That's it?  

The point was he was crazy, destructive, and psychotic.  Talk about taking a gun from him to stop his rage is like arguing taking away a knife and fork is going to help a compulsive eater lose weight.  

You're either dumb or being willfully obtuse. The process to obtain a gun is far to easy even legally. Literally can be done in 30-45 minutes without a CHL.

• Rage+1 1

6 minutes ago, F250 said:

Same here and we are 400+ miles away in the Piney Woods.  City patrol cars, Sheriff Dept and DPS were making it obvious they were present with the school cops.  

I

3 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

And.......he was able to purchase two ARs more easily than I can buy a new iPhone (less paperwork and boxes to check).  We let obviously dangerous people have access to incredibly lethal weaponry with fewer hassles than signing up for a new electric utility account.

Stop.  Letting.  Obviously dangerous people.  Acquire weapons of mass murder.  We could start there.  I'd love that as a simple start, I really would.  Red flag laws have been proposed repeatedly.  They are shot down in flames every time, by the exact same NRA-funded crowd.

As for "hardening the target?"  With an AR, I can shoot through almost any lock or door except a Federal Supermax prison gate.  There was a cop at the school here.  The shooter dropped him.

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

How about a policy that negates crazy's ability to get a fucking gun in the same amount of time as ordering a #2 from Whataburger?

If the #2 is coming from the Whataburger at Willy C. and Mopac he probably got the guns faster.

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, twosheds said:

Same here and we are 400+ miles away in the Piney Woods.  City patrol cars, Sheriff Dept and DPS were making it obvious they were present with the school cops.  

I

I guess it's like this all over the state. Feels like theater since this isn't a workable long term solution and is really meant to keep parents from freaking out.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, F250 said:

That was a very carefully crafted message probably written by his publicist.

Oh I know, that's why I was calling out it out. It's just a long winded version of "thoughts and prayers". We need change, here are some thoughts and prayers. 

It's all bullshit. He's going to do his concerned simple man saying wise words routine, but he's not for gun control, hence he's not for change. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

You're either dumb or being willfully obtuse. The process to obtain a gun is far to easy even legally. Literally can be done in 30-45 minutes without a CHL.

So a guy that carved up his own face with a knife and murdered his own grandmother would be dissuaded by "harder" laws?  do we even know if the gun was obtained legally?  I'm not pushing back, but what exactly does this look like?  A waiting period?  A background?  Many places have those already, especially the background which is required on every purchase.  

• Fuck You 11

6 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

How about a policy that negates crazy's ability to get a fucking gun in the same amount of time as ordering a #2 from Whataburger?

Well Whataburger sucks now, so the gun would probably jam. 

1 minute ago, Pancho said:

This is so ducking dumb. 

Mass shootings don’t only occur at schools—it just fucking happened at a grocery store.  It happens at churches. 

So your solution is to “harden the targets” at every single one of those location?  So all schools, colleges, HEBs, and churches should be hardened when there’s a MUCH EASIER SOLUTION?

Fuck outta here bro.

Schools.  Yes

Just now, BabaYaga said:

So a guy that carved up his own face with a knife and murdered his own grandmother would be dissuaded by "harder" laws?  do we even know if the gun was obtained legally?  I'm not pushing back, but what exactly does this look like?  A waiting period?  A background?  Many places have those already, especially the background which is required on every purchase.  

You're fucking retarded, gtfo dipshit.

The background check that takes 2 fucking minutes now? I literally drove to a bass pro near my house, picked out a firearm, purchased fire arm, and you know what took the longest of that process? Waiting for a guy at the counter who was with another customer. The wait was 15 minutes, from the time I spoke to the counter guy to the time I walked out of the store was a 30 minute process. So yeah guns are way too easily obtained.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

this is just a repeat of the onion headline.   it works in every other civilized country, but i cannot image anything working here.

• Rage+1 1

Imagine advocating "hardening NICUs" because "there's just no other way to stop people from shooting up baby nurseries."  If we were having that conversation about any country, we would immediately conclude "holy shit.....that is one UTTERLY fucked up place.  They need to worry about a WHOLE bunch of other shit."

That's where we are.  We are talking about hardening places where little children are because.....welp, there's just nothing else we can do.  Guess we need to learn to live with it I guess.

We are deeply, deeply broken.  There's no fixing us.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

17 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

tenor.gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Pancho said:

This is so ducking dumb. 

Mass shootings don’t only occur at schools—it just fucking happened at a grocery store.  It happens at churches. 

So your solution is to “harden the targets” at every single one of those location?  So all schools, colleges, HEBs, and churches should be hardened when there’s a MUCH EASIER SOLUTION?

Fuck outta here bro.

It'll work. From now on every Applebee's will be a barricaded fortress and each Old Navy will resemble a military outpost in the Korengal Valley. The easiest path is to armor the entire infrastructure. 

• Like 1

Just now, BabaYaga said:

Background checks without red flag laws are a fucking joke, anyway. I can literally buy a gun in 45 minutes. This kid was also, 18, but despite being clearly disturbed, it's not too surprising he didn't have a criminal record to flag regardless. Also, there are zero background checks required in third party gun sales, aka the gun show loophole, which could be closed and make a substantial difference. That's a policy change. So, yeah, it's not that he'd be "dissuaded" by harder laws. It's the fact that harder fucking laws would prevent him from getting the fucking gun.

By the way, yes, it has been confirmed several times on this thread alone that the weapons were purchased legally. So fuck right off with your "just asking questions" bullshit. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Yes the best way to describe it is it’s like a motel design. Classes are in wings and the classroom doors open to outside. 

• Fuck You 2