"the bear" - new series on fx

henrygandorf

13 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

Saving the final episode for tomorrow but I think this season exceeded the first. Amazing television. 

I agree. This season really did a great job in developing the characters and letting the viewers get to know them and what makes them tick. Except for Carmy. He’s still a bit of a mystery, at least to me. And I’m guessing that is by design.
One other note. This show is really good at moving between frenetic and quiet.  Even though it’s a slow burn, plot wise, it keeps you on a roller coaster emotionally. Really great show. 

Edited by TonyTexas

Fishes is one of the best episodes of TV I've ever seen. I didn't think they could take something like Review and keep that anxiety going for an hour, but they knocked it out of the park. Between JLC and Bob Odenkirk, they're going to sweep the Best Guest Actor in a Drama category. John Mulaney was great, too.

I loved Forks, too, especially the scene with Olivia Colman.

I hope we get more Molly Gordon next season. I've loved her since Booksmart.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I am going to finish it tonight.  You cannot be on your phone during this show.  It’s not that it is complicated, but there is so much non-verbal acting going on that you miss.   I watched 1 and 2 twice as a result.  No more phone the rest of the season.  

I love Fak.  Is that his real look with the neck tattoos?  If so, great find.  Kinda like Snoop in The Wire.  Get me a legit Chicago PWT, likable dude to play a supporting character and we will make them a star.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, A-Tex Devil said:

You cannot be on your phone during this show.  It’s not that it is complicated, but there is so much non-verbal acting going on that you miss.

Fact. I have to watch 2 or 3 times to pick up all the easter eggs.

8 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

I love  Fak.  Is that his real look with the neck tattoos?  If so, great find.  Kinda like Snoop in The Wire.  Get me a legit Chicago PWT, likable dude to play a supporting character and we will make them a star.

He’s a Toronto-based chef who’s done some food related TV work with Vice. The Fak brothers are hilarious together. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

I am going to finish it tonight.  You cannot be on your phone during this show.  It’s not that it is complicated, but there is so much non-verbal acting going on that you miss.   I watched 1 and 2 twice as a result.  No more phone the rest of the season.  

I love Fak.  Is that his real look with the neck tattoos?  If so, great find.  Kinda like Snoop in The Wire.  Get me a legit Chicago PWT, likable dude to play a supporting character and we will make them a star.  

Yes it is.

On 6/23/2023 at 9:54 AM, 4th&Five said:

what a misleading twitter caption.  it's 60 seconds and he explains virtually nothing.  he has 773 on his arm and that's the chicago area code and his way of showing love to the people back home.

anyway, we went to a screening of chef several years ago and favreau and roy choi did a q&a afterwards.  basically they were well into shooting, and thought it might not be right.  so favreau (who got classically/professionally trained i think at the cia as an actual competent high-end restaurant chef to prepare) brought choi into his "kitchen" set.  the first thing choi asked about favreau was, "where are his tattoos and where are all his burn marks?"  they completely changed how favreau looked in that movie moving forward.  long knife down his arm, burn marks everywhere - all that almost didn't happen.  also that movie is great if for some reason you haven't seen it.

fast forward to one of my best friends playing a chef in a tv show last year.  when he was shooting, i was all, "they're gonna give you tatts and burn marks" and he was like, nah, i don't think they're getting into it that way.  a month later he sent me a picture of him in makeup with all these scars and tatts.  nailed it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 6/23/2023 at 12:14 PM, MissingInAction said:

I'd also like to commend Jamie Lee curtis' performance.  She absolutely nails the narcissistic mother character.

I should know, I've got one.

Mullaney was surprising. He has a future in dramatic acting.

I'm guessing Mulaney had sobered up by the time he filmed this?  His character was hilarious. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Finished season 2 in 3 nights. TV shows rarely get me like that anymore.

So refreshing how it’s an ensemble and every character is worth rooting for - and it’s not some dopey surface level show. Totally against the grain for quality TV over the last 2 decades.

The second half of the season was so good. May rewatch.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

what a misleading twitter caption.  it's 60 seconds and he explains virtually nothing.  he has 773 on his arm and that's the chicago area code and his way of showing love to the people back home.
anyway, we went to a screening of chef several years ago and favreau and roy choi did a q&a afterwards.  basically they were well into shooting, and thought it might not be right.  so favreau (who got classically/professionally trained i think at the cia as an actual competent high-end restaurant chef to prepare) brought choi into his "kitchen" set.  the first thing choi asked about favreau was, "where are his tattoos and where are all his burn marks?"  they completely changed how favreau looked in that movie moving forward.  long knife down his arm, burn marks everywhere - all that almost didn't happen.  also that movie is great if for some reason you haven't seen it.
fast forward to one of my best friends playing a chef in a tv show last year.  when he was shooting, i was all, "they're gonna give you tatts and burn marks" and he was like, nah, i don't think they're getting into it that way.  a month later he sent me a picture of him in makeup with all these scars and tatts.  nailed it.

Chef is a fantastic movie
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

On 6/23/2023 at 12:53 PM, 4th&Five said:

“Forks” was my favorite. 

She’ll win an Emmy. 

On 6/23/2023 at 12:57 PM, 4th&Five said:

The transition in the final episode from Kidsmoke to Animal is fucking awesome. They killed the soundtrack again this season. 

Yes and yes. 

Fucking phenomenal Chef!

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

This is easily my favorite series in several years. Extraordinarily well written and acted.  

in 2023 it’s this and dave and then everything else. 

it was prob my favorite show of 2022 as well. they could make 5 more seasons or end it right now. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Chef is a fantastic movie

The Chef Show on Netflix with Favreau and Roy Choi is one of the best cooking shows ever, if you get past the first ep with the beating that is Gwyneth Paltrow. The show goes between kitchen scenes with the two of them and going to top LA food joints.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

in 2023 it’s this and dave and then everything else. 

it was prob my favorite show of 2022 as well. they could make 5 more seasons or end it right now. 

Hulu has my favorite shows.

Bear

Res Dogs

Only Murders

The Great

Shoresy

Letterkenney

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 6/24/2023 at 2:00 PM, A-Tex Devil said:

I've told my wife this.

Throughout multiple shows.  She thinks as long as she's "listening" 🙄

I've given up trying to convince her.

And "Fishes" was so anxiety inducing with all the chaos.  Jesus, I feel for people that live like that.

2 hours ago, Tylerocks said:

I've told my wife this.

Throughout multiple shows.  She thinks as long as she's "listening" 🙄

I've given up trying to convince her.

And "Fishes" was so anxiety inducing with all the chaos.  Jesus, I feel for people that live like that.

Fishes juxtaposed with Forks and the Copenhagen episode is wild.   

Parts of this show remind me of the best episodes of Louie, like when he accidentally took the ducks to Afghanistan.