US Birth Rate

Biff Tannen

I've been hearing from right wingers about the "issue" of the US birth rate declining and how this is some huge problem.  Is this just feeding into their replacement theory nonsense or is there some actual problem with population decline?

17 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I've been hearing from right wingers about the "issue" of the US birth rate declining and how this is some huge problem.  Is this just feeding into their replacement theory nonsense or is there some actual problem with population decline?

It's the replacement theory.  Whites are aging, minorities not so much.  It's just the standard issue race terror they try to cover up.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Most developed nations reach a point where native births will not produce enough workers to maintain the social safety nets. It’s going to be a problem here just like it is in Europe. We either replace with immigration or increase the birth rate

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sawbonz said:

Most developed nations reach a point where native births will not produce enough workers to maintain the social safety nets.

So not enough people to pay into social security to pay for the older generations?

I believe it. The majority of my married friends don't want to have children, either because of their own traumatic childhood from less than stellar parents, or from seeing the future that awaits children today. My wife and I definitely want to have children, but we don't want them to grow up in Texas as is exists right now. But we couldn't imagine raising kids anywhere but Texas. 

I can't imagine bringing children into this world. Wife and I have quite a few friends that made the same choice we did and they're all educated, high income couples. I acknowledge that it's going to be a problem for this country at some point, but the way things stand at the moment it's our opinion that it won't be a favorable environment, politically or physically, for future generations.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, royiv said:

I can't imagine bringing children into this world. Wife and I have quite a few friends that made the same choice we did and they're all educated, high income couples. I acknowledge that it's going to be a problem for this country at some point, but the way things stand at the moment it's our opinion that it won't be a favorable environment, politically or physically, for future generations.

Same.  Wife and I decided long ago not to have kids, even before the current shit show.  Just no desire.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

It's mostly the former as the birth rate has declined since the 19th century for a variety of reasons. Some of the more recent factors are reduced teen pregnancy, financial stability/instability, and women having more educational opportunities among other things.

Google says that reducing immigration has a greater impact on the population than the birth rate, but that doesn't fly well with some folks *cough* Tucker *cough*.

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

Our youngest is 18.  I can't imagine the world without him or his siblings.  This isn't to criticize your choice, but kids can be a blessing.  Maybe that's selfish.

I would never criticize or question one's choice when it comes to having kids. We have a number of kids in our life that are awesome. We made a considered choice based on our assessment of things and we landed where we did. We occasionally check-in and reasses and haven't waivered.

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, Upgrayedd said:

GDP growth with population decline is a challenge.

Lower birth rate=/= population decline with current policies or enforcement thereof.

32 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Repubs are trying to remedy that with mass/school shootings.  

Not an issue remotely belonging to one party.  We as a society own it.

2 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Bull fucking shit.

Ok.  You don't have to own it.  Splashing water and calling it swimming doesn't make it swimming.  We differ on the solutions.

Edited by slorch

1 minute ago, Underdog said:

LOL.  

Critically thinking will help you...

but where were we now, people not having kids...

Go!

Edited by slorch

I have two boys and another on the way. No plans to have more after that. 

There is something very rewarding seeing them interact with their great grandparents and grandparents and taking them to our favorite vacations spots and homes we grew up in. I’m looking forward to taking the boys hiking and flying over the western United States when they get older.

The world is going to shit? I’m sure every generation has had similar sentiments. It’s an excuse but not a good one. There doesn’t need to be an excuse to decide to not have kids. They are an investment with no guarantee of return. A risk you could say and life is full of them. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Telegraph_it said:

I have two boys and another on the way. No plans to have more after that. 

There is something very rewarding seeing them interact with their great grandparents and grandparents and taking them to our favorite vacations spots and homes we grew up in. I’m looking forward to taking the boys hiking and flying over the western United States when they get older.

The world is going to shit? I’m sure every generation has had similar sentiments. It’s an excuse but not a good one. There doesn’t need to be an excuse to decide to not have kids. They are an investment with no guarantee of return. A risk you could say and life is full of them. 

That’s subjective.  If it’s someone’s excuse to not have kids, it’s not your place or mine to determine if that decision is good or not just like it’s not anyone’s place to determine that your reasoning for taking your kids to your vacation spots you grew up in are a valid/good reason to have kids. 

• Hook 'Em 3

We planned on no more than 3, ended up with just one.  Just the way it worked out.  Seriously thought Jr and DIL weren’t going to have any and as disappointed as we would be, it would be their decision.  But they’ve hit it out of the park with their relationship waiting to finish post-grad and get started on their careers and student loans paid off, she still owes, before getting married and starting family.  

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

It's the replacement theory.  Whites are aging, minorities not so much.  It's just the standard issue race terror they try to cover up.

Every person I’ve known in real life who mentioned this bullshit is either addicted to Fox News or into Qanon/etc. conspiracy bullshit.

And none of them had more than two kids, with several only having one or no kids.

If you’re going to bitch about replacement theory bullshit, at least have 3 or more kids (or be in the process) to show you are serious about it.  It’s like somebody talking about gambling but they’ve never gambled in their lives.

If you have 3 or more kids and rant about it, I think you might actually believe in it, even if it’s fucking stupid.  

If you 0-2 kids and no reason why you couldn’t have more, you just hate brown people.

Or you’re my Qanon in-law who knows if she has a kid, the family will have it taken away in court and her parents will finally cut her off.  

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

My wife and I definitely want to have children, but we don't want them to grow up in Texas as is exists right now. But we couldn't imagine raising kids anywhere but Texas. 

Your kids are needed to help change Texas. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Paul Ryan used to refer to it and stated that Americans should start making babies to fund social security and medicare.  I think this is part of their play against abortions and contraceptives. 

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/364920-ryan-americans-need-to-have-more-babies/

Team no kids.  Can spoil my nieces and get my kids fix that way.  Living in the city it’s refreshing how rarely I see kids.  Sure I get shot at but my brother will make that trade if he’s being honest.  Parents really wanted to be grandparents so I’m grateful he did the heavy lifting there. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

FlimsyInfiniteFinwhale-max-1mb.gif

This is actually my reaction too and why I think it's a dumb conclusion.  Fewer people in this world is a good thing, no matter what the "consequences" to the social safety net, which is kind of a farce anyway.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Mdhorn said:

Paul Ryan used to refer to it and stated that Americans should start making babies to fund social security and medicare.  I think this is part of their play against abortions and contraceptives. 

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/364920-ryan-americans-need-to-have-more-babies/

Yeah, see, this is some bullshit.  The idea that we need to have kids to fund programs for olds is fucked up. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Captainant said:

I believe it. The majority of my married friends don't want to have children, either because of their own traumatic childhood from less than stellar parents, or from seeing the future that awaits children today. My wife and I definitely want to have children, but we don't want them to grow up in Texas as is exists right now. But we couldn't imagine raising kids anywhere but Texas. 

Plus, you can no longer live on a single income and if parents don't have time to really spend daily on kids, why leave them to the state to raise?  And then there's national love for gun culture that does not make society safer.  The number of annual deaths pretty much dictates that the US is not a safe country.  

1 minute ago, Biff Tannen said:

Yeah, see, this is some bullshit.  The idea that we need to have kids to fund programs for olds is fucked up. 

This is why I'm in favor of legalizing immigrants and having them participate in national and state taxes.  I'm also for taxing the rich in proportion to their wealth.  

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

This is my biggest concern.  Overall birth rates decline but they also skew more towards those who probably shouldn't be having kids as a percentage of that rate (thanks a lot SCOTUS assholes for putting that on steroids) and voila Clevon rules the earth (although as of late it's possible he already does)

Edited by Surly Bevo

12 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

My entire life, there have been concerns about a future with no resources. No enough clean water. Not enough energy. Not enough food. Too much pollution caused by too many people. Now I’m supposed to believe population decline is a bad thing? Nope. Will it be bad for the machine? Sure, but fuck the machine. 

Thomas Malthus was worried about it a couple of hundred years before you were born. Maybe those concerns were misplaced.