Kate Spade -- RIP

Aqua Buddha

Fairly big news.  For you married men, your wives will be talking about this tonight:

The fashion designer known as Kate Spade was found dead from an apparent suicide at her Manhattan apartment on Tuesday morning, according to a law enforcement official. 

The 55-year-old whose legal name was Katherine Noel Brosnahan created a popular line of handbags and accessories in the early 1990s. She sold her company to Liz Claiborne Inc. in 2014, which later took over the company’s name. It was later acquired by Coach Inc., now known as Tapestry Inc.

She had returned to the business in recent years, designing shoes and handbags under the brand name Frances Valentine. She was married to Andy Spade, who was also her business partner.

Officials said the designer hanged herself in her Park Avenue apartment at about 10:20 am, and was found by her housekeeper. 

Ms. Brosnahan’s publicist didn’t immediately respond to requests for comment. 

The Spades had parted ways with their eponymous company around the time it was sold to Liz Claiborne. Liz Claiborne sold off the company’s other brands, such as Juicy Couture and its namesake, until it was left with just Kate Spade. The overall company then was called Kate Spade & Co.

“I go by Kate Valentine for business,” the designer said in a 2016 interview at her loft-like Manhattan showroom. “I can also go by Frances.”

https://www.wsj.com/articles/officials-designer-kate-spade-found-dead-in-apartment-1528215984

7 minutes ago, J.R. Juniors Junior Jr. said:

That's sad to hear.  I appreciate her life's work.  She designed purses which helped me easily identify which women I should avoid.

I was good with Kate Spade bags. Even the D&B was okay because it meant she's a MILF who doesn't know any better.  It's the Chanel and LV crew that I avoided.

Edited by Doc Holliday

27 minutes ago, Doc Holliday said:

I was good with Kate Spade bags. Even the D&B was okay because it meant she's a MILF who doesn't know any better.  It's the Chanel and LV crew that I avoided.

Yeah, this.  Avoid the woman with an LV that makes $35K per year.

• Like 2

Evidently, the scarf around a doorknob is the go to move of suicidal designers:

Alexander McQueen hanged himself in the wardrobe of his London apartment and left a suicide note in February 2010. Officials later ruled the cause of the 40-year-old fashion designer's death as asphyxia and hanging.

L'Wren Scott was found dead in her New York apartment in March 2014, hanging from a door knob with a scarf around her neck. She was 49 when she died and officials ruled the death a suicide.

Kate Spade was found by her housekeeper on Tuesday, hanged by a scarf she had allegedly tied to a doorknob, according to a New York Police Department source.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/05/us/kate-spade-designer-deaths/index.html

She certainly wasn't strapped for cash. It's too bad that she felt like she had to hide her problems, but maybe it was too hard to shoulder the pain by buckling down and just zipping on through life - some people don't have that whole "come through in the clutch" coping mechanism in the bag. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
Scrotum.
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

She certainly wasn't strapped for cash. It's too bad that she felt like she had to hide her problems, but maybe it was too hard to shoulder the pain by buckling down and just zipping on through life - some people don't have that whole "come through in the clutch" coping mechanism in the bag. 

You left out that her skin felt like dead leather upon discovery
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Just goes to show that even when you are comfortably well off financially, money is only just one less thing and other problems and worries take ones attention.   Money doesn't really buy happiness.  

My older brother hanged himself, so I guess I might be in the minority when it comes to finding humor in any of this.  

1 hour ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Furk, I was going to use that you bastard.

48 minutes ago, Shmitty said:

Just goes to show that even when you are comfortably well off financially, money is only just one less thing and other problems and worries take ones attention.   Money doesn't really buy happiness.  

My older brother hanged himself, so I guess I might be in the minority when it comes to finding humor in any of this.  

Sorry for your loss. 

I was just making shitty puns like Surly often tends to do in response to grim stories, and certainly didn't mean to actually come off as making light of suicide or depression, etc. 

4 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Alexander McQueen hanged himself in the wardrobe of his London apartment and left a suicide note in February 2010. Officials later ruled the cause of the 40-year-old fashion designer's death as asphyxia and hanging.

L'Wren Scott was found dead in her New York apartment in March 2014, hanging from a door knob with a scarf around her neck. She was 49 when she died and officials ruled the death a suicide.

Kate Spade was found by her housekeeper on Tuesday, hanged by a scarf she had allegedly tied to a doorknob, according to a New York Police Department source.

Interesting that designers would copy each other instead of being truly creative....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, woohorn said:
8 hours ago, Angry Gorilla said:
She sold to Coach for $2.4B a couple of years ago, but her share was ~$200M.  I should have married her a week ago.

She and husband started the co in their apt and she owned less than 10‰?

Don Lapre sold classified ads from his tiny one bedroom apt. He slit his own throat

David Spade parodied Lapre twice on SNL.

can't make this shit up.

Suicide note to her 13 year old daughter basically blamed her ex-husband/the daughter’s dad.

Lots of people singing her praises, but she deprived her daughter of a mother and tried to deprive her of her father. Either by turning the kid against him or causing him to breakdown over guilt.  But she made cute handbags, I guess, so it all evens out.

https://pagesix.com/2018/06/05/kate-spade-dead-at-55/

Edited by Goredho

7 hours ago, Goredho said:

Suicide note to her 13 year old daughter basically blamed her ex-husband/the daughter’s dad.

Lots of people singing her praises, but she deprived her daughter of a mother and tried to deprive her of her father. Either by turning the kid against him or causing him to breakdown over guilt.  But she made cute handbags, I guess, so it all evens out.

https://pagesix.com/2018/06/05/kate-spade-dead-at-55/

No shit.  You off yourself with a kid who depends on you, fuck all the kudos.  Just scarf that shit away.

17 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

It is very apparent that scarfs in the wrong hands are deadly weapons.  The NSA (National Scarf Association) has long "covered up" the dangers of scarfs used in the wrong hands.  I think it is time to investigate this scarf lobby and see just how much they are contributing to politicians who do nothing about this terrible product.  We need to ban scarfs.  And then, door knobs.  (Sorry if this post needs to be in the political thread).

• Like 1