2022 Fall Camp: Drippin'

DFW Horn

There's a saying that teams should beware "of losing to Bama twice", meaning the mental and physical toll it takes to get up to play Saban's Bama can leave a hangover for the next week

On the surface, that makes UTSA at home the following week concerning, and perhaps even a trip the Lubbock two weeks later as well

However, it looks like both of those teams will have their hands full the prior two weeks

UTSA hosts Houston and travels to Army(!) the prior two weeks. Army is obviously a team you have to give your full attention to because of their offense

Tech hosts Houston and then travels to NC State the prior two weeks. They won't be able to overlook a middle tiered P5 school on the road. 

Texas doesn't have to face a Big XII team coming off a bye this year

Texas doesn't have two road games in a row. However, Texas's bye falls between two road games; at Oklahoma State, at Kansas State

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Translation:  Don't focus on the fact that we had no fucking clue how bad those dudes were injured until Chip Brown, Geoff Ketchum, and a surly poster called "someguy" scooped us.

You didn’t see their post yesterday?   They knew they just had too much class to say anything

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, EZ$ said:

Card will start against ULM. He’ll play the first half, go 7/12 for 150 yards and 2 TDs. Ewers will play the second half, go 7/10 for 150 yards, a TD and INT. We win 42-13. 
Card starts against Bama. Goes 3/12 in the first half for 45 yards and 2 turnovers, we’re down 17-3. Ewers comes in, goes 12/18 with 180 yards, 2 TDs and 1 INT against the prevent and we lose 38-24. 
Ewers starts the rest of his career. 

Sounds about accurate 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

Card will start against ULM. He’ll play the first half, go 7/12 for 150 yards and 2 TDs. Ewers will play the second half, go 7/10 for 150 yards, a TD and INT. We win 42-13. 
Card starts against Bama. Goes 3/12 in the first half for 45 yards and 2 turnovers, we’re down 17-3. Ewers comes in, goes 12/18 with 180 yards, 2 TDs and 1 INT against the prevent and we lose 38-24. 

Yep.  Maybe not startign game 1 will be a wake up call for Quinn. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Fud said:

There's a saying that teams should beware "of losing to Bama twice", meaning the mental and physical toll it takes to get up to play Saban's Bama can leave a hangover for the next week

On the surface, that makes UTSA at home the following week concerning, and perhaps even a trip the Lubbock two weeks later as well

However, it looks like both of those teams will have their hands full the prior two weeks

UTSA hosts Houston and travels to Army(!) the prior two weeks. Army is obviously a team you have to give your full attention to because of their offense

Tech hosts Houston and then travels to NC State the prior two weeks. They won't be able to overlook a middle tiered P5 school on the road. 

Texas doesn't have to face a Big XII team coming off a bye this year

Texas doesn't have two road games in a row. However, Texas's bye falls between two road games; at Oklahoma State, at Kansas State

I don’t know if you’re the type that reads the preseason mags, but I enjoy it and blend all of that in with my thinking from what I read online and see with my own eyes. It’s interesting to me in the way it colors outlooks versus guys who aren’t as interested in trying to connect all of the CFB dots across the schedules. 

My view on UH is that if they beat Tech, they have a shot to make the playoff. Obviously a lot has to happen, but they return a lot, including a quality QB, and they have the schedule, to go undefeated. They know this, based on comments I’ve seen from them and Holgorson. So Tech is a fucking bullseye game for them. That helps us. 

Similarly, NC State is a CFP contender, IMO. I think they should be the favorite to win the ACC. If they beat Clemson, they could lose another game and still get in. They bring back a lot. Tech, coming off the UH game, has to go there and win, then come home and beat Texas. Again, we benefit in a big way with that happening. 

As to UTSA, I know there is a lot of anxiety on this board about losing to them after the Bama game. Hey, it could happen. Traylor is an excellent coach and the Bama game could create all kinds of hangover. Fine. That said, they lost key NFL talent and a lot of depth. That’s hard to handle at a G5. A friend who is also good friends with Traylor says that he doesn’t see much of a shot of winning the UT game. He’d never say that publicly, but the guy is a realist. He wants to win it, of course, but ULaLa was used as an instructive example in his thinking when he was talking about it. They returned a lot, they only lost a few guys to the pros, and they show up and get rolled by Texas like it was nothing. Then go undefeated for the rest of the year. 

It’s a shame we don’t have one more year before getting this schedule, honestly. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

If this is the expected outcome of naming card to start the season, because you can’t just give the qb job to the newcomer, then it is a retarded strategy bc it means ewers missed tons of reps and opportunities to be at his peak for the season. You pick your best player and you focus on him.

I sure hope our coaches aren’t looking at bama as being lost already. We need a little dog in em.

giphy.gif

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

I don’t know if you’re the type that reads the preseason mags, but I enjoy it and blend all of that in with my thinking from what I read online and see with my own eyes. It’s interesting to me in the way it colors outlooks versus guys who aren’t as interested in trying to connect all of the CFB dots across the schedules. 

My view on UH is that if they beat Tech, they have a shot to make the playoff. Obviously a lot has to happen, but they return a lot, including a quality QB, and they have the schedule, to go undefeated. They know this, based on comments I’ve seen from them and Holgorson. So Tech is a fucking bullseye game for them. That helps us. 

Similarly, NC State is a CFP contender, IMO. I think they should be the favorite to win the ACC. If they beat Clemson, they could lose another game and still get in. They bring back a lot. Tech, coming off the UH game, has to go there and win, then come home and beat Texas. Again, we benefit in a big way with that happening. 

As to UTSA, I know there is a lot of anxiety on this board about losing to them after the Bama game. Hey, it could happen. Traylor is an excellent coach and the Bama game could create all kinds of hangover. Fine. That said, they lost key NFL talent and a lot of depth. That’s hard to handle at a G5. A friend who is also good friends with Traylor says that he doesn’t see much of a shot of winning the UT game. He’d never say that publicly, but the guy is a realist. He wants to win it, of course, but ULaLa was used as an instructive example in his thinking when he was talking about it. They returned a lot, they only lost a few guys to the pros, and they show up and get rolled by Texas like it was nothing. Then go undefeated for the rest of the year. 

It’s a shame we don’t have one more year before getting this schedule, honestly. 

It's interesting that Houston has to travel to both UTSA and Tech. The Tech game could be particularly tricky if their OC is as good as advertised.  

I've heard something similar third hand from UTSA coaches. They're mostly hoping to get out major injury free, and if they can stay competitive, that's icing. I've compared the game to last year's Louisiana in that they're a solid team that'll be physically overmatched in the trenches and vs our offensive skill position players, but I've since seen that comparison all over the Texas webs, so it's an obvious one I suppose 

It might have been a trap game for us, had UTSA not had Houston then Army the prior two weeks

9 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Traylor actually flat out said he wasnt expecting to win the UT game in the recent FCB interview.  Basically UT has too much talent and size.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, westexhorn said:

Traylor actually flat out said he wasnt expecting to win the UT game in the recent FCB interview.  Basically UT has too much talent and size.

He said that to manage expectations. They beat a Low tier Big10 opponent on the road last season, so they were able to overcame their size deficiencies in that game. If we treat UTSA like a bye week after getting banged up by Bama, we could be in trouble.  

Edited by perfectchaos007

Injuries are going to happen. It is part of the game. Just keep grinding it out in practice and keep recruiting and eventually we can finally reach the exalted place of "not-so-bad". It will be a glorious day.

There is no reason to really freak out. Beat ULM and UTSA and let's get into the Big 12 schedule and hope it doesn't suck too hard.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, perfectchaos007 said:

He said that to manage expectations. They beat a Low tier Big10 opponent on the road last season, so they were able to overcame their size deficiencies in that game. If we treat UTSA like a bye week after getting banged up by Bama, we could be in trouble.  

A program that treats any game like a bye week is a loser program no matter how shitty the opponent or great they are. So, you know, could happen I suppose.

This… would be amazing. We just need to avoid utter destruction by bama. Keeping Ewers healthy and mentally sound heading into conference play sounds great. Our o-line is going to get lit up early against bama.

giphy.gif

Long article about freshmen linemen for us by Joe Cook

Texas Football: Are the freshmen O-linemen 'tough, smart, and dependable' enough to start?

Joe Cook•44 minutes

Article written by:Joe Cook

DJ Campbell and Cole Hutson (Will Gallagher/Inside Texas)

When DJ Campbell became the seventh offensive lineman in Texas’ 2022 class, one of the main questions for the Longhorns entering Steve Sarkisian’s second year shifted from “will any freshman O-lineman play” to “how many freshman O-linemen will play?”

[Get a 50% off an Inside Texas Plus subscription!]

Campbell, the No. 12 overall prospect in the 2022 On3 Consensus, ranked seven spots ahead of classmate Kelvin Banks. That duo represented the top players at their respective positions of interior offensive lineman and offensive tackle. Two more top 300 O-linemen in the On3 Consensus, Cam Williams and Neto Umeozulu, were part of the group Sarkisian and Flood signed. So were Connor Robertson, Malik Agbo, and early-enrollee Cole Hutson.

From last year’s O-line, Derek Kerstetter, Denzel Okafor, and Tope Imade exhausted their eligibility. That trio accounted for nearly 40 percent of the starts on the line in 2021. Two starters, Christian Jones and Jake Majors are back for 2022 and trying to keep their spot. Junior Angilau, the third returning starter, could be out for the year.

All of that math creates the new, complex equation Sarkisian and Flood will need to answer in determining who the first five on the field will be, and how many of those five will be from the freshman ranks.

“Ultimately, the head coach has the final say on all of that,” Flood said August 2. “But do I think we have a talented freshman class? I do. Do I think some of those guys are going to be able to contribute this year? I do. To what level? They’re going to determine that.”

In the current era of college football, coaches aspire to have a group of 7-8 linemen they believe can play when the lights come on. Five are the starters, plus the handful of backups who offer versatility or were just beat out by a better player. Though there might be a strong focus on paper depth charts, there is a lot that goes into putting the best group on the field.

“I think the best way we try to talk to the guys about it is we want to play the best five players up front, and the last thing I would want to do is have five guys starting but my third best lineman isn’t on the field because he’s a backup tackle,” Sarkisian said August 11. “He would be our starting guard if he played guard. We try to explain it really well.”

Seven of the 16 scholarship offensive linemen being freshman does help the chances of at least one seeing the field, but there’s a better formula Flood has for figuring out who needs to be in the first five.

“I like ‘em tough, smart, and dependable,” Flood said. “There’s a physical toughness aspect to the position that you can’t deny and you can’t hide from. You have to know what to do, how to do it, and why it’s important to do it that way. You’ve got to be dependable. There’s nothing more valuable in life than consistency.”

“I put those three words up on the board every training camp in the O-line room because I want all the players in the room to really know what the expectations are. The faster the freshmen, the younger players – not necessarily just the first-year guys – can get to those three spaces, then I think the faster they can contribute.”

Flood and Sarkisian entered training camp with more data about not just the freshman O-linemen, but the entire Longhorn roster. Coaches were able to spend up to two hours per week with players for skill training with a football. Both Sarkisian and Flood noted improvement from the entire group after they utilized the available time to work on fundamentals, techniques, calls, and other aspects of offensive line play.

Practice time for the players wasn’t limited to those two hours a week, that’s just all they could do with the coaches present. Players held their own “optional” periods outside of the mandatory two hour periods and any other off-season conditioning sessions.

In both those training sessions and in the early stages of camp, those freshmen O-linemen made impressions on several current players. Big impressions.

“They’re big,” DeMarvion Overshown said on August 4. He eventually commented, “they’re going to be the real deal.”

Said Bijan Robinson: “I see the freshman trying to learn and do the best that they can, so it makes the big guys want to be coached up some more and learn some more so they can understand the game as well and become that much better.”

Cole Hutson (No. 54) has worked with the first-string at various points in training camp (Will Gallagher/Inside Texas)

After the first week of camp, Sarkisian mentioned Williams, Banks, Campbell, and Hutson by name, saying that though they weren’t perfect, they looked “comfortable.”

Two freshmen earned special callouts from coaches and peers alike. During his answer about playing the five best offensive linemen, Sarkisian said Campbell could fit at tackle down the road but was making progress at one of the interior spots.

“He’s playing guard for us, and he’s going to be a heck of a player,” Sarkisian said August 11. “That’s not saying that before his career is done at Texas, that he’s not going to end up being a tackle. But an opportunity for him early, to potentially get himself on the field, guard may be a better spot.”

One of the current team leaders had positive things to say about another highly-touted prospect.

“Kelvin Banks, he’s a really good player,” Jordan Whittington said on August 9. “He’s a leader. Really vocal, really high football IQ.”

Do players like Banks, Campbell, or Hutson break into the starting five for Louisiana-Monroe? Are they tough, smart, and dependable enough to play in year one? Hutson is already garnering some first-string reps at guard and could be on his way to being the first from the 2022 class to solidify a spot in the starting lineup, especially after Angilau’s injury.

Campbell, though rated as an interior lineman, has the capability to play tackle. Could that happen later in his career, a la Evan Neal at Alabama? Sarkisian hinted as much.

However, necessity almost always wins out. Texas needs a strong left tackle, and with Jones manning the right tackle spot these days, the competition for left tackle includes Andrej Karic and Jaylen Garth, plus five-star freshman Banks. Though Banks could function on the inside, his immense talent could have him protecting the blindside in game one.

Is it tough to do that for a freshman? Of course, but it’s doable. There are countless examples, including a few at Texas like Kerstetter, Connor Williams, and Zach Shackelford. There are examples in Flood’s and Sarkisian’s past, with Neal the most notable. Sarkisian even played some first-year linemen in his short stint at USC. There are pitfalls to the approach as well, innumerable in college football.

Texas has talented O-linemen in its freshman class. Are they tough, smart, and dependable enough for Flood and Sarkisian to march them out in game one? That was a possibility from the moment seven joined the program, and as camp has progressed, it appears more and more likely.

If you think you’re beaten, you are.
If you think you dare not, you don’t.
If you’d like to win,
But you think you can’t,
It’s almost a cinch you won’t.
If you think you’ll lose, you’re lost,
For out in the world you’ll find
Success begins with a fellow’s will,
It’s all in the state of mind.
If you think you’re outclassed, you are.
You’ve got to think high to rise.
You’ve got to be sure of yourself before
You can ever win a prize.
Life’s battles don’t always go
To the stronger or faster man,
But soon or late, the man who wins,
Is the one who thinks he can.
–Walter D. Wintle

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Yeah I wonder how seriously the guys took practicing for Kansas last year….

Upon watching the game again, you can tell which of our defensive players had no business being on the field. Alfred Collins, Luke Brockermeyer and Jaylen Ford all had absolutely horrific performances.

But Ford improved after that and Brockermeyer + Collins have fallen down the depth chart. Silver linings and all that.

3 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

2022 Fall Camp: UTSA falls in a good place in our schedule this year

JFC

2022 UTSA Fall Camp: Texas falls in a good place on our schedule this year. They’ll be too shell shocked  from playing Bama to notice we are up next.

Edited by Nicole44
  • Haha 1

Scoop:

By: Eric, Gerry, and Justin 

TEAM

Per sources, some post-scrimmage themes are emerging. Here are some that were named with a little bit of color attached. 

Injuries

Football is a sport where ‘reversion to the mean’ eventually takes its course. That can be a good thing. As an example, it’s unlikely UT’s defense won’t force more turnovers next season. But it can be a bad thing. On the heels of a relatively injury free 2021 season, the Gods came calling on Saturday. Truth be told, they actually came calling a little earlier as we learned Alfred Collins would be out for 4-6 weeks.

In relatively close proximity on Saturday, Roschon Johnson, Junior Angilau, and Isaiah Neyor were helped off the field. Johnson’s ankle should keep him out until around the Alabama game or a week or two after. If he can’t go for Alabama, they may want to save him for conference play rather than bring him back for UTSA.

Angilau and Neyor were lost for the season with knee injuries. Those are big losses as both were an integral part in the overall vision for the program. Angilau was going to give Kyle Flood the opportunity to get bigger at center while also making way for a talented freshman guard. Neyor would serve as a nitro boost for Steve Sarkisian’s preferred 12 personnel.

Where do they go from here? Jake Majors will likely remain the starter at center, while Cole Hutson will continue playing right guard. Logan Parr appears to be the second team center for now. 

Wide receiver is more unclear. Sources indicate Casey Cain will get the first look at boundary receiver. He had a 40-yard gain in the scrimmage, and somewhat encouragingly, it was against starter Ryan Watts, not a third-stringer. Troy Omeire was quiet in the scrimmage but he’s running well enough to be out there. He‘ll see increased reps and we’ll learn more about his overall recovery. 

The real question at receiver will be if they decide to move Jordan Whittington to boundary receiver or if Sark chooses to become more scheme diverse. Or, do they give Tarique Milton a look there.

Unrelated to Neyor, but Agiye Hall’s indefinite suspension means Brenen Thompson is working more behind Xavier Worthy at field receiver.

We should start getting answers at wide receiver later today when the team hits the field for practice followed by Sark’s media availability. 

Prolonged QB battle

This one has been litigated forwards and backwards — and more often backwards. It’s our educated opinion Sark entered camp wanting to name a starter after the first scrimmage and our hunch was Quinn Ewers was more likely than Hudson Card. After 9 practices, including a scrimmage, this battle appears it has a ways to go.

Could Sark go with a gut feeling and name a starter soon? That’s a possibility and certainly his choice to do so, but it wouldn’t be based on what’s transpired on the field. 

Card continues to have better command of the offense and probably moves the chains better, but Ewers has the flair for the big play.

If we were going solely by camp performance, Card would have the slight edge per a couple of sources.

More press coverage

Last January we mentioned we’d see more press coverage and did so during the spring. That’s continuing in August as a staple coverage. The first-teamers are holding up for the most part but and some of the younger guys are coming along. Jamier Johnson has been mentioned as one of the most improved players on the team, and Jaylon Guilbeau had a strong scrimmage at Star.

D’Shawn Jamison has about 5-6 interceptions this month and it sounds like he’s playing his most consistent football. We’re not hearing about him getting beat much.

D-line and linebackers playing the run better

This goes more for the first-team, and we understand the skepticism based on last August and how the season went. All we can report is what’s happening on the field and certainly zero-sum plays a part. We know the O-line is not a strength, though we do believe it’s improved over last season. The running backs are a strength, however, so that lends to hope of an improved run defense.

Up the middle, Byron Murphy, T’Vondre Sweat, and Vernon Broughton are having good camps. Losing Collins for a stretch is not ideal, but they do have depth at D-tackle. 

We repeatedly hear good things about transfer linebacker Diamonte Tucker-Dorsey. Though it wasn’t specific to run defense, we heard DeMarvion Overshown was one of the 2-3 best players on the field on Saturday. Jaylan Ford has been a bit quiet but that can also be a not-so bad thing from your Mike linebacker. We feel confident he’ll have a solid season, if not more.

Running backs remain a strength

This will seemingly conflict with having solid run defense, but these guys are consistently getting tough yardage and are of course elevated by having one of the best players in all of college football. 

This grouping was named on Sunday, so after Roschon Johnson’s injury. It’s deep with four guys who will contribute in the opener. Robinson is a known. After flashing last year, there’s optimism on Jonathon Brooks. He had a good scrimmage running inside and outside. Keilan Robinson is bigger and just as fast as ever. Freshman Jaydon Blue has been pushing Brooks for carries in practice. 

All of these guys are good in space and three of them have good hands. 12 personnel lost some luster with Neyor’s injury, but this grouping still offers Sark a lot of versatility.

• Hook 'Em 3

18 minutes ago, The Original Greaser Bob said:

If you’d like to win,
But you think you can’t,
–Walter D. Wintle

Tonight Show Yes GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, The Original Greaser Bob said:

If you’d like to win,
But you think you can’t,
–Walter D. Wintle

a lotta words just to say "focusness"....

• Hook 'Em 1

Given that I had an attention span of about five seconds, I have always remembered the first line.  I recall thinking "Hmm, that makes sense" and them my mind likely started gravitating to my current level of jock itch, latest crush, or whether liking that Chuck Mangione song would make me gay.