Scott Frost - a very rich unemployed person

immamac

7 hours ago, redswingline said:

Winning 75% of your games is not great, not bad?

Most of the +127 programs in the FBS would do a threesome with chaz bono and janet reno if you told them they would win 75% of their games for a decent amount of years.

6 hours ago, Grade of D as in David said:

Raise Hand GIF by Nick Jonas

I’ll let @Grade of D as in David take that one for the team and fan base.

As I remember Solich, while having an overall solid record, he was trending down, and he was still stuck in the Devany/Osborne Nebraska option days while the other Big XII offenses were starting to blow up. I’m not sure if he would’ve done much worse than Callahan, but if they held onto him I don’t see Nebraska doing any better than it’s last five years in the Big XII.

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

As I remember Solich, while having an overall solid record, he was trending down, and he was still stuck in the Devany/Osborne Nebraska option days while the other Big XII offenses were starting to blow up. I’m not sure if he would’ve done much worse than Callahan, but if they held onto him I don’t see Nebraska doing any better than it’s last five years in the Big XII.

Agree that he was never going to be the guy to ween them off the option, the dude was the hand-picked successor from Osborn, who was basically Corn Saban for 20 years.   Solich had one bad season, which was 7 wins.   He won 9 games the next year and they canned him before the bowl.  

Then he went on to get the field named after him at Ohio University.  While Nebraska did this:

• Solich - 75.3%
  • Callahan - 55.1%
  • Pelini - 71.3%
  • Riley - 50%
  • Frost - 34%

29 minutes ago, Hurtlocker said:

Agree that he was never going to be the guy to ween them off the option, the dude was the hand-picked successor from Osborn, who was basically Corn Saban for 20 years.   Solich had one bad season, which was 7 wins.   He won 9 games the next year and they canned him before the bowl.  

Then he went on to get the field named after him at Ohio University.  While Nebraska did this:

• Solich - 75.3%
  • Callahan - 55.1%
  • Pelini - 71.3%
  • Riley - 50%
  • Frost - 34%

The biggest head-scratcher here, and the one that plays directly into my earlier comment, is Bo Pelini. Here were Nebraska's records under Pelini:

• 9-4
  • 10-4
  • 10-4
  • 9-4
  • 10-4
  • 9-4
  • 9-3

The guy averaged 9.4 wins/season. But that wasn't good enough for some reason? So basically you are saying the FLOOR for wins/season is 10.. which is something that is realistic at about 3-4 schools, and Nebraska certainly wasn't/isn't one of them (as of 2014).

Yes I get that the dude was rough around the edges, personality wise, but he won games at a high rate at Nebraska, and he did it well after the Osborne transition.

Since they fired him, they have had 1 *winning season* in 7 full seasons... most likely to become 1 in 8 after this year.

Edited by oSuJeff97
  • Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

The biggest head-scratcher here, and the one that plays directly into my earlier comment, is Bo Pelini. Here were Nebraska's records under Pelini:

• 9-4
  • 10-4
  • 10-4
  • 9-4
  • 10-4
  • 9-4
  • 9-3

The guy averaged 9.4 wins/season. But that wasn't good enough for some reason? So basically you are saying the FLOOR for wins/season is 10.. which is something that is realistic at about 3-4 schools, and Nebraska certainly wasn't/isn't one of them (as of 2014).

Yes I get that the dude was rough around the edges, personality wise, but he won games at a high rate at Nebraska, and he did it well after the Osborne transition.

Since they fired him, they have had 1 *winning season* in 7 full seasons... most likely to become 1 in 8 after this year.

Perhaps this had something to do with the firing?

On December 17, the Omaha World-Herald obtained audio of Pelini attacking Eichorst in vulgar terms while addressing his players on December 2. Pelini questioned Eichorst's integrity, calling him "a fucking lawyer who makes policies," a "total pussy" and a "total cunt." In response, Nebraska claimed that Pelini had been fired in part for "a pattern of unprofessional, disrespectful behavior" toward players, fans and Nebraska employees

Nebraska had (and perhaps still has) aspirations of returning to its glory days, however unrealistic that maybe. It was clear Pelini was not going to take them there. His records are misleading just like Jimbo's, as most of the wins came against weak teams, and he wasn't winning many "big" games. In hindsight, it looks foolish to have fired a coach with a better than 9 wins average, but at the time, they were still dreaming about returning to the upper echelon of college football.

23 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

The guy averaged 9.4 wins/season. But that wasn't good enough for some reason?

15 minutes ago, WBT said:

Pelini was at least partially fired for being an asshole right?  No one besides Youngstown St rushed to give him another head coaching job either.

Partially. He was also a sideline wetter.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

9-3 every season gets you the same hardware as 5-7 does.  Which is what he did.  75% is better if there’s some 11-1s and 7-5s mixed in. 

better chance at hitting one year on 11-1 if you average 9-3 than 5-7. 

Edited by Js1

19 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

Perhaps this had something to do with the firing?

On December 17, the Omaha World-Herald obtained audio of Pelini attacking Eichorst in vulgar terms while addressing his players on December 2. Pelini questioned Eichorst's integrity, calling him "a fucking lawyer who makes policies," a "total pussy" and a "total cunt." In response, Nebraska claimed that Pelini had been fired in part for "a pattern of unprofessional, disrespectful behavior" toward players, fans and Nebraska employees

Nebraska had (and perhaps still has) aspirations of returning to its glory days, however unrealistic that maybe. It was clear Pelini was not going to take them there. His records are misleading just like Jimbo's, as most of the wins came against weak teams, and he wasn't winning many "big" games. In hindsight, it looks foolish to have fired a coach with a better than 9 wins average, but at the time, they were still dreaming about returning to the upper echelon of college football.

16 minutes ago, Saint Tacky said:

Partially. He was also a sideline wetter.

12 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Pelini was definitely fired in part for being completely irascible and just a general jackass.

Yeah I remember that Pelini was a known asshole, but there have been LOTS of successful coaches who are/were known assholes. Most of them don't get fired until they stop winning.  Pelini was still winning at Corn, but they thought he wasn't winning enough and could easily replace 9/10 wins per year. Whoops.

2 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Yeah I remember that Pelini was a known asshole, but there have been LOTS of successful coaches who are/were known assholes. Most of them don't get fired until they stop winning.  Pelini was still winning at Corn, but they thought he wasn't winning enough and could easily replace 9/10 wins per year. Whoops.

Yup.

They fired Pelini because he wasn't winning enough, but if he were a super nice guy, he'd have probably gotten another year or two.  His being an asshole just made it easier for Midwest Nice folks to justify it.

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, Tracer Bullet said:

I heard Pelini basically got fired for fucking a huge booster's granddaughter

I think that was his brother.

As I said earlier, I was flying out of Omaha on Sunday (wearing a Longhorns shirt), and I spoke with a Nebraska alum about it all. He was almost despondent, but very glad they had finally fired Frost. We discussed Pelini, and this guy was almost in disbelief that they had been arrogant enough to fire him. Of course, hindsight is 20/20. Their fanbase has changed so much with all the losing. Flying into and out of Omaha, there are always tons of people wearing Nebraska gear. On Sunday, there were exactly two people wearing Nebraska gear. In western Iowa, there used to be a lot of Nebraska flags and bumper stickers. Now, there are very, very few. The fanbase is completely beaten down, even worse than we were under Charlie Strong. 

Pelini was fired because he was an embarrassment to Nebraska's "Aw, shucks" image. Sure, they believed they could win more games, but it was really his tirades that got him fired. I get it, but I think they would trade back now, given the chance.

• Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

I think that was his brother.

As I said earlier, I was flying out of Omaha on Sunday (wearing a Longhorns shirt), and I spoke with a Nebraska alum about it all. He was almost despondent, but very glad they had finally fired Frost. We discussed Pelini, and this guy was almost in disbelief that they had been arrogant enough to fire him. Of course, hindsight is 20/20. Their fanbase has changed so much with all the losing. Flying into and out of Omaha, there are always tons of people wearing Nebraska gear. On Sunday, there were exactly two people wearing Nebraska gear. In western Iowa, there used to be a lot of Nebraska flags and bumper stickers. Now, there are very, very few. The fanbase is completely beaten down, even worse than we were under Charlie Strong. 

Pelini was fired because he was an embarrassment to Nebraska's "Aw, shucks" image. Sure, they believed they could win more games, but it was really his tirades that got him fired. I get it, but I think they would trade back now, given the chance.

I'm from north central Iowa, a good distance from Nebraska.  There were like 3-4 families of Nebraska fans in my school growing up.  Almost as many as ISU.  Walk into that school today and you won't see a single N on one of the kids, and there are about 3x as much ISU shirts as there was when I was growing up.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I'm from north central Iowa, a good distance from Nebraska.  There were like 3-4 families of Nebraska fans in my school growing up.  Almost as many as ISU.  Walk into that school today and you won't see a single N on one of the kids, and there are about 3x as much ISU shirts as there was when I was growing up.

Yep, and that is exactly what I told the Husker. All those Nebraska fans have become Cyclone fans (helps that y'all win a lot more games now) or Hawkeye fans. They were proud bandwagoners back then, but it's embarrassing rooting for NU now.

I actually like Nebraska being decent because their fans hate Texas so much...but we own their pitiful little asses. Hell, I wore the Texas shirt to troll them on Sunday, and only one Husker and one Sooner (geez!) said anything about it. I usually at least get stares.

2 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Yep, and that is exactly what I told the Husker. All those Nebraska fans have become Cyclone fans (helps that y'all win a lot more games now) or Hawkeye fans. They were proud bandwagoners back then, but it's embarrassing rooting for NU now.

I actually like Nebraska being decent because their fans hate Texas so much...but we own their pitiful little asses. Hell, I wore the Texas shirt to troll them on Sunday, and only one Husker and one Sooner (geez!) said anything about it. I usually at least get stares.

I saw a guy in the Frankfort airport with OU gear on several years ago. Fucking guys.

1 hour ago, Tracer Bullet said:

I heard Pelini basically got fired for fucking a huge booster's granddaughter

I see it was covered already. The media here is starting to publish the open secrets that were flowing about town on Frost now. Will see if that picks up more in coming days. 

Edited by Royalfan5

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I thought you were from NE Iowa. /stalker

I was just reading something about Frost being a drunk and a general lazy idiot and there was a link to their reddit

https://old.reddit.com/r/Huskers/comments/xdesu5/mikel_severe_talking_about_frosts_lack_of_effort/

these fucking idiots have the horns down symbol below their kNowledge shit.....all these fucking years later and they are still obsessed worse than aggy what a pack of fucking losers

4 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Honestly, 'ol Butterteeth would do well at Corn. 

I mean, he wouldn't be winning any national titles; but I bet he'd have them winning 9/10 games again within a few years.

Macks floor is 8-9 games per year. They would kill for that in Lincoln. 

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, ButtFumble said:

I was just reading something about Frost being a drunk and a general lazy idiot and there was a link to their reddit

https://old.reddit.com/r/Huskers/comments/xdesu5/mikel_severe_talking_about_frosts_lack_of_effort/

these fucking idiots have the horns down symbol below their kNowledge shit.....all these fucking years later and they are still obsessed worse than aggy what a pack of fucking losers

God that's fucking embarrassing. Their downvote icon on Reddit is a Horns down. We haven't played them in 13 years. 

How about this gem:

Received this twice now from different members of the same golf group who were at Cap Rock with Dominic Raiola in August. He can't stand SF anymore due to how the recruitment of his son went down. I have posted before about how we dropped the ball on communication with the family after the Spring Game. Ohio State and Ryan Day slid in, put the full-court press on, and never looked back once NIL $ came into the discussion. Dominic allegedly told his group that they had a family get-together at his house in Scottsdale to host Frost. 15 or so family members. He said his son was still really into Nebraska until what happened that day. Frsot was scheduled to do an in-home visit with them. I don't think he knew they had extra guests over though. He called Dom and said "I can't make it, I've had too many margaritas and too drunk." Dom replies they have a houseful of visitors to meet Coach Frost and to chug some water and Dom would send SF a Uber to bring him over. Frost replied again "No I can't make it, let's do it by Zoom.* Dylan walked up to his dad and said "I'm not going to play for him" and that was the end of the convo. Family took Ohio State's call that night and Ryan Day and most of the offensive staff flew to AZ the next day for dinner. Made him a priority and that was that.

Casey actually transferred to this program.

Ryan Gosling Reaction GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

• 9-4
  • 10-4
  • 10-4
  • 9-4
  • 10-4
  • 9-4
  • 9-3

Bo Pelini was without a doubt more successful than anyone since Solich.  That said your W/L numbers above only tell part of the story.

Final Rankings: Unranked, 14, 19, 24, 23, Unranked, Unranked.  He was good at beating the teams he was supposed to and nobody else.  That's not going to get it done if you also are one of the top 3 assholes in CFB at the same time.  NU was never going to improve beyond fringe Top 25 team under his leadership.  Take a look at his results post NU for more evidence.  

I wasn't a whole lot happier going 9-4 and finishing unranked than I am going 4-9 and finishing unranked.  So I have no issue trying new coaches.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, Tex Long said:

So, prolly closer to Neb than I am to the nearest commercial airport. Got it.

My hometown is about 3.5/4 hours from Nebraska.

18 hours ago, Not a cat said:

I used to date a girl from Fort Dodge which is kind of N/NE central Iowa, so this hits close to home.

Fort Dirty is just north of being straight up central Iowa.  I'd call it the SW corner of what could qualify as north central Iowa.  I grew up on the MN border about a half hour east of I-35.

19 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

I thought you were from NE Iowa. /stalker

I live in NE Iowa now.  I grew up about 40 miles west of where I currently live.

Doesn't seem like a significant distinction, but if you tell someone from east of Highway 63 that my hometown is in northeast Iowa, they would immediately balk and say something like "no, they're flatlanders".  NE Iowa is generally synonymous with Iowa's portion of the Driftless Area, which my hometown is not part of but my current town is.

If you divided Iowa into 4 quadrants, both my current town and home town are NE.  If you're distinguishing between East, Central, and West, they're on different sides of that East/Central line.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Hook 'Em 3

18 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

My hometown is about 3.5/4 hours from Nebraska.

Fort Dirty is just north of being straight up central Iowa.  I'd call it the SW corner of what could qualify as north central Iowa.  I grew up on the MN border about a half hour east of I-35.

One of my good friends here in Texas is from your neck of the woods: St. Ansgar.

My wife says she is from “west central” Iowa. Just over an hour NE of Omaha, so closer to Omaha than Ames. And much closer to both than Iowa City. The percentage of people wearing Iowa State gear has increased drastically in the last 10 years. There is almost no Nebraska gear these days. 

• Hook 'Em 1