• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• crash_davis

• nnm

• Armybrat

• Message Board User

2 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

My best friend back in high school in SA didn’t have a clock in their house (except in their parents’ bedroom). They would literally call a bank number that had an automated Time & Temperature announcement when the kids wanted to know what time it was. Weirdest damn thing you ever saw. 

Literally?

8 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

My best friend back in high school in SA didn’t have a clock in their house (except in their parents’ bedroom). They would literally call a bank number that had an automated Time & Temperature announcement when the kids wanted to know what time it was. Weirdest damn thing you ever saw. 

226-3232.

"Frost Bank time ... 7:55.  Downtown temperature ... 64."

I'd call that every time it got cold, just to hear if it was below freezing.  We had clocks and a thermometer at home, but I loved dialing 226-3232.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

10 hours ago, miguelito said:

226-3232.

"Frost Bank time ... 7:55.  Downtown temperature ... 64."

I'd call that every time it got cold, just to hear if it was below freezing.  We had clocks and a thermometer at home, but I loved dialing 226-3232.

Same, exact thing here in Dallas.  844-4444.  Still works today if you add the area code.

^

this hits close to home.  First off, that was a  really fucked up movie for my dad to let me watch when I was 7.  But a neighbor a few blocks over is the lead designer (or one of 'em anyway) on the Cybertruck.  And he has two of them in his driveway and he parks one of them backwards facing out to the street and his wife parks hers regular pointing towards the garage, just started doing this in the last couple of months.  And obviously they were probably letting the kids fuck around with the keyfobs of whatever.  But as I'm driving by their house, the two sets of front light bars come on both the trucks in opposite directions and it freaked the fuck outta me.  So now whenever I see them parked at night, I'm going to think of the Stephen King movie.  Thanks asshole! 

• Haha 2

59 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

^

this hits close to home.  First off, that was a  really fucked up movie for my dad to let me watch when I was 7.  But a neighbor a few blocks over is the lead designer (or one of 'em anyway) on the Cybertruck.  And he has two of them in his driveway and he parks one of them backwards facing out to the street and his wife parks hers regular pointing towards the garage, just started doing this in the last couple of months.  And obviously they were probably letting the kids fuck around with the keyfobs of whatever.  But as I'm driving by their house, the two sets of front light bars come on both the trucks in opposite directions and it freaked the fuck outta me.  So now whenever I see them parked at night, I'm going to think of the Stephen King movie.  Thanks asshole! 

Go talk to a firefighter about EVs. My son in law is a paramedic/firefighter and he gets really wound up whenever the topic is raised. What he says is that they are almost impossible to extinguish and emit highly toxic fumes during the burning process, requiring firefighters to fully suit up with containment breathing apparatus or potentially be permanently debilitated. Not fun in Texas in the summer.  He also says Teslas are the worst because their batteries line a much bigger portion of the car.

I’m not personally anti-ev, but I don’t think we’ve really fully appreciated the long-term consequences of the rush to full evs (as opposed to much more sensible hybrids).

And yeah, I read the Stephen King book Christine, but never saw the movie. I was freaked out for a long time. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 2

7 minutes ago, nnm said:

Go talk to a firefighter about EVs. My son in law is a paramedic/firefighter and he gets really wound up whenever the topic is raised. What he says is that they are almost impossible to extinguish and emit highly toxic fumes during the burning process, requiring firefighters to fully suit up with containment breathing apparatus or potentially be permanently debilitated. Not fun in Texas in the summer.  He also says Teslas are the worst because their batteries line a much bigger portion of the car.

I’m not personally anti-ev, but I don’t think we’ve really fully appreciated the long-term consequences of the rush to full evs (as opposed to much more sensible hybrids).

And yeah, I read the Stephen King book Christine, but never saw the movie. I was freaked out for a long time. 

EVs kick ass and are a lot of fun.  What they aren't is an environmental win over gas engines.  It's honestly not close and pretty hilarious to watch people just side step the facts.  At one point people truly believed they were carbon neutral day 1.  Most things now even show 5-6 years of normal use to pay back the difference. Unfortunately that's not very accurate if we go back to how batteries are made and the environmental impact of it some studies show 10-12 years and basically right about then when batteries might start going bad and you're back on the hamster wheel.  I truly enjoy the absurdity of driving an EV but battery tech will have to completely change as will how that tech is charged for them to ever replace gas.  

• Like 1