Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet

Coach pop a bitch

2 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

Where are all the "I'm done w Quinn, we need Maalik," dudes, lol. 

Quinn12.jpg

Let’s not do that around here. We can praise Quinn without putting down Maalik. We need to stand behind all of our QBs and be ready for the next man up.

• Hook 'Em 3

I want to say this while Texas is 8-1 and up 20 vs. TCU, so that it won't come off as a reactionary comment. 

The biggest issue with this team is on the offensive side of the ball. 35% we are elite. 65% of the time we look like absolute shit. Ewers way off the mark, questionable playcalling, we stopped running tempo for some reason, procedural penalties, miscommunication, etc. 

I can't pretend to know the inner workings, but it feels like Sark is overwhelmed with HC/play calling duties. I really like Sark. I absolutely love his scheme. The skill positions players are beasts, the offensive line good. 

But something is clearly off, and it needs to be properly addressed. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 4

He plays like he's on a bunch of painkillers. Took him a couple throws to find his touch then got rolling while the first round was still working. The second dose never gets you as high though, and the side effects (sloppiness) start to set in and he doesn't see the field as well. I watched this for years with Tony Romo

I want to say this while Texas is 8-1 and up 20 vs. TCU, so that it won't come off as a reactionary comment. 
The biggest issue with this team is on the offensive side of the ball. 35% we are elite. 65% of the time we look like absolute shit. Ewers way off the mark, questionable playcalling, we stopped running tempo for some reason, procedural penalties, miscommunication, etc. 
I can't pretend to know the inner workings, but it feels like Sark is overwhelmed with HC/play calling duties. I really like Sark. I absolutely love his scheme. The skill positions players are beasts, the offensive line good. 
But something is clearly off, and it needs to be properly addressed. 

Yeah, I feel the same way. I don’t think Sark can handle both HC and OC. I’m not going to pretend to know the answer, but it seems like he needs an OC that is cut from the same clothe as he is (just so he feels comfortable handing the reins over).

7 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

He plays like he's on a bunch of painkillers. Took him a couple throws to find his touch then got rolling while the first round was still working. The second dose never gets you as high though, and the side effects (sloppiness) start to set in and he doesn't see the field as well. I watched this for years with Tony Romo

Lol you’ve got it all figured out

On 11/10/2023 at 2:53 PM, Pam Cummings said:

I hate the recent trend of QBs tiptoeing on the sidelines and acting like they are gonna go out of bounds, so nobody hits them, only to turn upfield and steal a few extra yards. There is nothing the defense can do in that situation. If they hit the QB the ref will call a penalty. I think those guys should get lit up when they try that stuff.

QB protection should only be afforded when they're inside the box, i.e. in the process of throwing.

Once the QB becomes a runner, they should be given no quarters.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Funny, Ewers Looked nearly exactly like Maalik in the second half, but without the harsh criticism.  Against a considerably lesser opponent than K-State.  Thankfully Mitchell made a ridiculous catch on a poorly thrown ball. Even more importantly thankfully the defender does not turn his head to be in superior position on the under thrown ball.  It was good to get the guy with a year and a half as the starter back in the fold.  But some of the histrionics regarding Maalik, that could be equally applied to Ewers in this game are an interesting contrast.  

I will say the same thing I did last week, we did enough to win.  But the reason we got fucked in the second half was our offense couldn't muster much offense.  So we just left the defense out there after a couple plays on offense. Thankfully we got a 10 play drive that resulted in an 49 yard Field goal, and our Defense made a heroic goal line stand that gave us the ball back.  That FG was our only score in the second half.

I'm glad as hell Ewers is back in the fold, because the kid has the most experience of any QB we have.  I also think that Maalik could have done just about at well in his 3rd game as a starter.  So I guess the good news is as far as outcomes, our QB's are very similar.   And at least now we have a second stringer who has actually taken some snaps as a starter. Something we haven't had in a long time. I realize Ewers is coming back off an injury, and hopefully he can get back to his Alabama form, but that was not this weekend. Still notch a win and move on.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, horn4life said:

Funny, Ewers Looked nearly exactly like Maalik in the second half, but without the harsh criticism.  Against a considerably lesser opponent than K-State.  Thankfully Mitchell made a ridiculous catch on a poorly thrown ball. Even more importantly thankfully the defender does not turn his head to be in superior position on the under thrown ball.  It was good to get the guy with a year and a half as the starter back in the fold.  But some of the histrionics regarding Maalik, that could be equally applied to Ewers in this game are an interesting contrast.  

I will say the same thing I did last week, we did enough to win.  But the reason we got fucked in the second half was our offense couldn't muster much offense.  So we just left the defense out there after a couple plays on offense. Thankfully we got a 10 play drive that resulted in an 49 yard Field goal, and our Defense made a heroic goal line stand that gave us the ball back.  That FG was our only score in the second half.

I'm glad as hell Ewers is back in the fold, because the kid has the most experience of any QB we have.  I also think that Maalik could have done just about at well in his 3rd game as a starter.  So I guess the good news is as far as outcomes, our QB's are very similar.   And at least now we have a second stringer who has actually taken some snaps as a starter. Something we haven't had in a long time. I realize Ewers is coming back off an injury, and hopefully he can get back to his Alabama form, but that was not this weekend. Still notch a win and move on.

Lol… wut?

Edited by Fico
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, gofuckyourself said:

And that panic and tossing it to no one or missing easy passes with little pressure was much of the game.

“panic” would be the no.1 word i would use to describe QE last night the very moment that something went wrong. the guy is skittish. the very moment he felt the pocket collapsing he was scrambling to get rid of the ball. i remember one snap where he dropped the ball and then just immediately picked it up and fired it into the 50th row, never even took so much as a glance to see if he was under pressure. if i had to guess i’d say his injuries have rattled him. he was not all composed last night, particularly whenever there was the first sign of trouble.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

“panic” would be the no.1 word i would use to describe QE last night the very moment that something went wrong. the guy is skittish. the very moment he felt the pocket collapsing he was scrambling to get rid of the ball. i remember one snap where he dropped the ball and then just immediately picked it up and fired it into the 50th row, never even took so much as a glance to see if he was under pressure. if i had to guess i’d say his injuries have rattled him. he was not all composed last night, particularly whenever there was the first sign of trouble.

Picking up the ball and throwing it away was a sign of composure. He was clearly limited physically. Trying to create something there would have been an unforced error. Murphy probably throws an int for a TD in the same circumstance or at best takes the lost yardage. 

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, immamac said:

That was an NFL level play. What are you guys talking about? The play was blown up it cost a down and 0 yards. Just reset and go no drama no running around making something happen for the same result or a sack. 

Couple this with the fact he wasn't trying to take hits either....those were smart plays and correct plays

• Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, horn4life said:

Good point, we haven't had a backup with starting experience since... Hudson Card who started and played in numerous games over two years. 

28 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Picking up the ball and throwing it away was a sign of composure. He was clearly limited physically. Trying to create something there would have been an unforced error. Murphy probably throws an int for a TD in the same circumstance or at best takes the lost yardage. 

i hear you on that one, but still, he’s never looked particularly composed under pressure, and last night he was especially skittish in the pocket/under pressure. i understand that it has to do with his injuries, but name a QB who ever played at Texas who didn’t play injured at some point. quinn’s pocket presence/calmness under pressure is already not a strength of his. i don’t love him being extra limited when he’s out there because he’s scared to death of getting hit every play. would i have preferred maalik to be playing? hell no. but im really hoping that QE’s pain level goes down this week, because he was noticeably hobbled and skittish last night.

21 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Yeah, I was thrilled when he threw that ball away. He didn't try to play hero ball. Sure, he's not wanting to get blown up again but he did exactly what he needed to in order to not have a silly turnover. Throw it away, live to fight another day. 

for the record i agree that it was the right play, but that’s only because of how scared QE was of getting hit last night. so i’m not saying it was a stupid play. but i am saying that QE, whether he’s healthy, or particularly when he’s not, doesn’t inspire confidence in the face of pressure out there. at this point i truly wonder if he will ever be a guy who stands tall in the pocket and keeps his eyes down field in the face of a pass rush. if QE is playing hurt and is scared to get hit, then i don’t how/why anyone would expect us to win out. it really limits wha we’re even able to attempt to do on offense.

Edited by shadow_operative

21 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Yeah, I was thrilled when he threw that ball away. He didn't try to play hero ball. Sure, he's not wanting to get blown up again but he did exactly what he needed to in order to not have a silly turnover. Throw it away, live to fight another day. 

Hopefully Sark told him before the game to not try to scramble or save a play if something goes wrong - throw it away and move on.  The fewer hits on Quinn the better while he's still healing.  Quinn did jut get that ball and toss it away like he didn't even have to think about it.

5 hours ago, horn4life said:

That was a back shoulder fade. You can throw them with air or with pace like Aaron Rodgers does. You throw the ball short and to the outside and let the receiver adjust to the ball. Ball is perfect for when the receiver has coverage over top. In this case the safety is coming over just like on the INT. If Ewers throws this out in front it is either picked or AD gets hit and likely drops. AD stumbles to the ground but this is how its supposed to look from a receiver standpoint.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, dec3169 said:

Southern Comfort for me.  After 25+ years it still bothers me.

Also, for some helpful career advice, it's not a good idea to get super-drunk the night before you head out to a big project with the new client and you're driving in a car with him and holding a barf bag in your lap.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

Not even close.
Maalik was scrambling right, throwing off his back foot into an area with no receiver deep in his own territory.
And that panic and tossing it to no one or missing easy passes with little pressure was much of the game.
Ewers in contrast smartly threw several passes away, and even threw passes towards receivers that forced PI flags to be thrown.
Zero comparison between Murphy and Ewers.

Remember that time Ewers threw the backwards pass into the ground that we had to recover? Inexperience much like Murphys failure on the screen.

Ewers was mostly average last night, but he’s probably not close to healthy. Ewers did every bit the dumbshit that Murphy did when he was relatively inexperienced.

TCU and KSU defenses present different issues. Any comparison has limits in value.

That said Ewers is clearly the guy, but he’s also a contributing factor to not finishing games. An example being that shitty throw to Worthy when Whitt was wide open for a much easier throw to get the first and continue the drive.

28 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

That was a back shoulder fade. You can throw them with air or with pace like Aaron Rodgers does. You throw the ball short and to the outside and let the receiver adjust to the ball. Ball is perfect for when the receiver has coverage over top. In this case the safety is coming over just like on the INT. If Ewers throws this out in front it is either picked or AD gets hit and likely drops. AD stumbles to the ground but this is how its supposed to look from a receiver standpoint.

I would say it's amazing that people don't know this but I read the game threads lol 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

for the record i agree that it was the right play, but that’s only because of how scared QE was of getting hit last night. so i’m not saying it was a stupid play. but i am saying that QE, whether he’s healthy, or particularly when he’s not, doesn’t inspire confidence in the face of pressure out there. at this point i truly wonder if he will ever be a guy who stands tall in the pocket and keeps his eyes down field in the face of a pass rush. if QE is playing hurt and is scared to get hit, then i don’t how/why anyone would expect us to win out. it really limits wha we’re even able to attempt to do on offense.

Ewers wasn't "scared" of getting hit. No doubt he was aware of the consequences, but more likely than not, Sark gave him STRICT instructions not to run around waiting for something to develop, and not to run at all if possible. And throw the ball away at the first sign of trouble. They weren't taking any chances, and that's exactly what they should have done. In two weeks, he might ease up on those restrictions.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Ewers wasn't "scared" of getting hit. No doubt he was aware of the consequences, but more likely than not, Sark gave him STRICT instructions not to run around waiting for something to develop, and not to run at all if possible. And throw the ball away at the first sign of trouble. They weren't taking any chances, and that's exactly what they should have done. In two weeks, he might ease up on those restrictions.

i disagree. he absolutely appeared to be scared of getting hit, which isn’t all that unusual for him to begin with. he’s never had great pocket presence, it’s one of his more noticeable weaknesses. this feature of his game has only been amplified both times he’s been hurt. QE is not out there calmly surveying the field, going through his reads, and trying to make a play, he’s in his own head, worried about being hit, and ready to tuck the ball or quickly get rid of it well earlier than what you’d like to see from your QB. 

4 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Did he get touched yesterday?  Don’t recall it but might have missed one or two. 

2 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

i disagree. he absolutely appeared to be scared of getting hit, which isn’t all that unusual for him to begin with. he’s never had great pocket presence, it’s one of his more noticeable weaknesses. this feature of his game has only been amplified both times he’s been hurt. QE is not out there calmly surveying the field, going through his reads, and trying to make a play, he’s in his own head, worried about being hit, and ready to tuck the ball or quickly get rid of it well earlier than what you’d like to see from your QB. 

He dove back to the LOS to get no negative yards on a play. Derka idk what games you watch but that aren’t the same ones the rest of us do. Quinn wasn’t playing however it is you are trying to say he was. 

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

5WJeaVBJgrAzCpFHUE.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

He didn't make too many bad passes aside from the obvious one but he didn't seem like his old self to me

I don’t think he is healthy. His early trip to the locker room is pretty good evidence of that. He either left early for some treatment or to take a shit. Guessing it was the treatment. Liked the intelligent throws to force the holding calls, that was knew for him 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

I don’t think he is healthy. His early trip to the locker room is pretty good evidence of that. He either left early for some treatment or to take a shit. Guessing it was the treatment. Liked the intelligent throws to force the holding calls, that was knew for him 

yeah i noticed those throws as well, that was really nice to see. force the officials to call it if they weren’t already going to do so.

Nahlin just dropped this on Quinn

Spoiler

Quinn Ewers

I’m going to share this because it’s a departure from my long-held stance on whether or not Ewers would return. After checking in with multiple sources on Sunday it’s pretty clear it isn’t a foregone conclusion the junior quarterback will declare for the NFL. 

One source essentially said it was likely he’d return (but that it could change), one leans towards him ultimately declaring, and one effectively said “we’ll see.”

With at least two games hanging in the balance Ewers is more focused on battling through his shoulder injury and leading his team to the conference championship. He certainly doesn’t have one foot out the door.

In many ways it makes sense to return. The NFL Draft has a ton of quarterbacks in contention to be drafted in the first two rounds and Ewers isn’t cemented in the Top 5. He’s had a good year in which he’s shown growth in different areas but another year would be beneficial to his mental and physical maturity at the position. I’d love to see him gain back some good weight to help protect himself for the rigors of the position. 

After my long-held assumption Ewers would leave after this season, I’m now unsure.

Gerry gave it 65/35 odds he comes back.

Edited by CashMcCoy
  • Hook 'Em 3