Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet

Coach pop a bitch

On 11/25/2023 at 9:21 AM, Atticus said:

I'm a big Ewers fan, but his lack of field vision has been a recurring theme going back to last year. He is who he is at this point. He's great if things are schemed up for him and sometimes he can even thread some balls into tight windows, but when it comes to creating on his own, he isn't that.

I appreciate the fact that he's the best we've had since Colt, but I also believe that distinction will be short-lived.

Hopefully he balls out the rest of the way, then comes back and makes major strides over the off-season to become a first round draft pick in the 2025 NFL draft. 

On 11/25/2023 at 9:32 AM, Wulaw Horn said:

He is what he is for this year, sure. But, just like he got a metric shot ton better last offseason to this I will bet he makes big strides this offseason.  
Flat out, he will be in NYC if healthy next year and  go top 5 in the draft. If he’s banged up I trust Arch. I think Arch is gonna be special. 

Quinn made a nice little jump before the bowl game last year. I think a lot of that was just the time to stop his head spinning. Hope we see the same this year, especially with time for his shoulder to heal up. 

On the Tech performance - Quinn was absolutely shredding them in the RPO game early. We moved off of it and it wasn't a great game for Quinn overall but he was in a nice rhythm early.

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Quinn made a nice little jump before the bowl game last year. I think a lot of that was just the time to stop his head spinning. Hope we see the same this year, especially with time for his shoulder to heal up. 

On the Tech performance - Quinn was absolutely shredding them in the RPO game early. We moved off of it and it wasn't a great game for Quinn overall but he was in a nice rhythm early.

Yep. His last 3 quarters against Iowa state were pretty good too. Those 4 quarters in a row were Heisman finalists and 1/1 in 25 nfl draft territory. I would suspect as an experienced upper class man he will look like that way more often than not. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Ewers had an all-world rating coming into college, which was 3 years ago.  This WR class and offensive starters was considered the best UT had in decades.  Ewers was rated by all the press in pre- and early season as a Heisman shortlist candidate. 

People need to begrudgingly acknowledge that by all those standards he's well behind.

Ewers had an all-world rating coming into college, which was 3 years ago.  This WR class and offensive starters was considered the best UT had in decades.  Ewers was rated by all the press in pre- and early season as a Heisman shortlist candidate. 
People need to begrudgingly acknowledge that by all those standards he's well behind.

Eh. I think it’s more the fanbase and the media seeing the 5 star rating and taking that as gospel as opposed to thinking about anything in context.

He missed a ton of time in HS and worked the scout team at Ohio State for a year. He was a project when he showed up at Texas and was never going to be an immediate savior.

He is also clearly not a Caleb Williams, Trevor Lawrence, or Andrew Luck type home run as a prospect. The recruiting rating was just off. He still has a lot of pro potential but he’d get eaten alive in the NFL next season. Coming back would benefit him to continue to develop his processing ability and deep accuracy in a pro style offense.

3 hours ago, Thatguy said:

You won't answer and that's fine. I am putting this up anyway so other people with your weird opinion can read it too.

Quinn does what the boss asks him to do and he does it pretty well. We don't ask QE to throw little 5 yard curls very often but when we do he hits them. What the boss draws up is long developing routes where Quinn has to stand in the pocket and wait. Then our fan base comes in here screaming that Quinn can't read a defense and isn't there yet when he takes a sack instead of throwing risky passes. Tech was conceding the run game to defend against Ewers and the passing game. Imagine a world where you are getting gashed for over 300 yards rushing and you keep lining up like this below. Tech lined up with a safety almost 20 yards off the ball to discourage the passing attack.

Quinn isn't running some wide open spread offense like those other QBs you cited. He is running a pro-style offense. So you don't judge based on numbers you judge based on is he doing what the coach is asking him to do. The answer to that is yes, and he is doing that against teams that are determined to take away that part of the offense and live with the running game. You guys thinking our running game is so special are missing the fact that we are seeing honest boxes every week because people are scared of our passing attack. You man up on the outside like Bama did? You get 24-38 346 and 3 TDs. In fact, every team that's tried to get aggressive against the running game has gotten scorched by QE. Bama last year. 370 vs UW. 3 bills and 4 TDs vs OU last year. It's a shame that some of you have to be reminded of that but here we are.

Screenshot (497).png

This needs to be said over and over again. No really. Like twice a day. 

5 hours ago, 52-80 said:

I didn’t really pay that much attention. Sorry if pre season rags aren’t my standard. We all thought this was a 9-10 win season preseason. Once the Bama game concluded we ALL shifted to CFP aspirations. QE has played well enough for us to be there. One defensive stop away and we win still an outside shot going into championship weekend. Pretty fucking stellar if you ask me.  

2 minutes ago, troph said:

I didn’t really pay that much attention. Sorry if pre season rags aren’t my standard. We all thought this was a 9-10 win season preseason. Once the Bama game concluded we ALL shifted to CFP aspirations. QE has played well enough for us to be there. One defensive stop away and we win still an outside shot going into championship weekend. Pretty fucking stellar if you ask me.  

Remember when Joe Burrow wasn't very good, then he was? People on this very site, me included, thought he was nothing special. Until 2019, he showed us nothing to indicate that he was a stud.

Looking at star ratings and expecting someone to immediately be one of the best in the country at their own position is probably the laziest thing you can do.

• Hook 'Em 4

52 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Eh. I think it’s more the fanbase and the media seeing the 5 star rating and taking that as gospel as opposed to thinking about anything in context.

He missed a ton of time in HS and worked the scout team at Ohio State for a year. He was a project when he showed up at Texas and was never going to be an immediate savior.

He is also clearly not a Caleb Williams, Trevor Lawrence, or Andrew Luck type home run as a prospect. The recruiting rating was just off. He still has a lot of pro potential but he’d get eaten alive in the NFL next season. Coming back would benefit him to continue to develop his processing ability and deep accuracy in a pro style offense.

And while he’s top of his class across CFB as a sophomore - he clearly needs to strengthen up before he’s taking NFL hits even with the protection given to QBs by rule. The fact that we could have him back next year is amazing.

19 minutes ago, troph said:

And while he’s top of his class across CFB as a sophomore

In actual productivity? or potential?

His incoming class (2021):  Drake Mayes, Shedeur, JJ McCarthy, Kyle McCord, Jaxson Dart, Jalen Milroe, Preston Stone

even younger class (2022): Klubnik, Drew Alar, Noah Fifita

24 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

In actual productivity? or potential?

His incoming class (2021):  Drake Mayes, Shedeur, JJ McCarthy, Kyle McCord, Jaxson Dart, Jalen Milroe, Preston Stone

even younger class (2022): Klubnik, Drew Alar, Noah Fifita

2021 top 15- Ewers, Williams, Huard, Maye, Vandagriff, McCarthy, Salter, McCord, Buchner, Morton, Stowers, Dart, Milroe, Moss.. Williams and Maye are only ones that are definitely above Quinn. 

2022 top 15- Allar, Klubnick, Weigman, Simpson, Brown, Howard, Stockton, Evers, Maalik Murphy, Brady Allen, Houser, Jackson, Duffy, Geriner, and Horn. 

so is you look at his original class only Fiftia  is question mark. You cant pretend that Allar or Klubnick have even been close to Quinn. 

Edited by Codaxx

We all thought this was a 9-10 win season preseason. 

Not all of us. 10 wins was the minimum.

This season is not an over achievement. Maybe it could be. But it’s not thus far.

People ignore history and ignore roster turnover of all other teams. They shit themselves over perceived team and individual failings while again ignoring history and other teams issues. They also overinflate their own teams and individuals that wow them.

The talent, experience and balance of this team was no doubt top 10 and borderline top 5 from the get go. When I say borderline top 5, I am being conservative. Really the surprising elements are how well Sweat and Auburn have performed. No one else really surprised.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, troph said:

This needs to be said over and over again. No really. Like twice a day. 

What blows me away is that people here see every single running back we have running for 6-7 yards per carry and don't even think to look into why. Could it be that it's because they aren't the opposition's priority? No. Has to be that our 5th string RB is just THAT GOOD. No kudos shall be awarded to Quinn.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

57 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Not all of us. 10 wins was the minimum.

This season is not an over achievement. Maybe it could be. But it’s not thus far.

People ignore history and ignore roster turnover of all other teams. They shit themselves over perceived team and individual failings while again ignoring history and other teams issues. They also overinflate their own teams and individuals that wow them.

The talent, experience and balance of this team was no doubt top 10 and borderline top 5 from the get go. When I say borderline top 5, I am being conservative. Really the surprising elements are how well Sweat and Auburn have performed. No one else really surprised.

I think the ceiling for most was 2 losses, so 10-2. There were not very many 11-1 or 12-0 predictions if I recall. there were many 10-2/9-3 prognostications. I was in the 9-3/10-2 camp.  12-0 and 6-5 were equally outliers. 10-2 is top 10.  but you're correct about the rest of it.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

What blows me away is that people here see every single running back we have running for 6-7 yards per carry and don't even think to look into why. Could it be that it's because they aren't the opposition's priority? No. Has to be that our 5th string RB is just THAT GOOD. No kudos shall be awarded to Quinn.

it's all Sark baby. oh wait, except for goal to goal, too aggressive on 4th downs, and those three and outs. so wait, who gets credit? who gets blame?  not to be sexist but this board acts like me and my wife when we argue. just a com-bobbled mess of emotion and opaqueness with no logical consistency to be found anywhere. but hey, the make up sex is good...  with her, not y'all. duh.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, troph said:

it's all Sark baby. oh wait, except for goal to goal, too aggressive on 4th downs, and those three and outs. so wait, who gets credit? who gets blame?  not to be sexist but this board acts like me and my wife when we argue. just a com-bobbled mess of emotion and opaqueness with no logical consistency to be found anywhere. but hey, the make up sex is good...  with her, not y'all. duh.

Rules

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I think the ceiling for most was 2 losses, so 10-2. There were not very many 11-1 or 12-0 predictions if I recall. there were many 10-2/9-3 prognostications. I was in the 9-3/10-2 camp.  12-0 and 6-5 were equally outliers. 10-2 is top 10.  but you're correct about the rest of it.

I’d agree on that ceiling for most people. I just said not all of us had 10 wins as the ceiling. Maybe that was less than 1%, I don’t know that answer.

3 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

I’d agree on that ceiling for most people. I just said not all of us had 10 wins as the ceiling. Maybe that was less than 1%, I don’t know that answer.

you're right, I said "we all" insteaad of "most of us" but I think the idea was still there so as long as I still get the A on the paper I don't mind the correction.

Lots of players who were question marks coming into the year have broken in a positive to very positive way for us this year. From guys like Mitchell, Brooks, Blue, and Campbell on offense to guys like Sweat, Burke, and Hill on defense. Even Gbenda is a solid contributor on defense for the first time in his Texas career.

It's been a good year and if this level of development is a trend, then we're about to go on a run.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

I swear some of y'all would rather be right than happy.
Vegas had us at 9.5 wins. Most of the guys on IT had us going 10-2 at best. These aren't cagey fans or battered longhorns. They are industry people who, by a huge margin, did not think we would win more than 10 games and were more likely to only win 9.
We have overachieved and it's okay to be happy about that.

I’m happy and I’ve never said otherwise.

Overachievement would be beating teams more experienced and talented than us and not losing to those less talented. Bama may be more talented than us, but it’s marginal at best. They had an inexperienced QB and a frosh LT. Ours may not be supremely experienced, but they’re similarly talented with more experience. Their Oline has not been particularly good in several years either.

Who exactly on our schedule can say they have better talent and experience than us? TCU wasn’t going to replicate their season. ISU has a frosh QB. KSU lost arguably their best offensive and defensive players. OU was coming off a terrible season, has minimal depth. Bu, OSU, Tech?

So it was one coin flip, maybe two. You’d expect to hit one. Throw in a slip up game and you’re at 10 wins. Anything less than is absolutely battered fan syndrome. 10-11 wins was reasonable and what talent and experience indicated as a reasonable expectation.

9 hours ago, Thatguy said:

You won't answer and that's fine. I am putting this up anyway so other people with your weird opinion can read it too.

Quinn does what the boss asks him to do and he does it pretty well. We don't ask QE to throw little 5 yard curls very often but when we do he hits them. What the boss draws up is long developing routes where Quinn has to stand in the pocket and wait and isn't there yet when he takes a sack instead of throwing risky passes. Tech was conceding the run game to defend against Ewers and the passing game. Imagine a world where you are getting gashed for over 300 yards rushing and you keep lining up like this below. Tech lined up with a safety almost 20 yards off the ball to discourage the passing attack.

Quinn isn't running some wide open spread offense like those other QBs you cited. He is running a pro-style offense. So you don't judge based on numbers you judge based on is he doing what the coach is asking him to do. The answer to that is yes, and he is doing that against teams that are determined to take away that part of the offense and live with the running game. You guys thinking our running game is so special are missing the fact that we are seeing honest boxes every week because people are scared of our passing attack. You man up on the outside like Bama did? You get 24-38 346 and 3 TDs. In fact, every team that's tried to get aggressive against the running game has gotten scorched by QE. Bama last year. 370 vs UW. 3 bills and 4 TDs vs OU last year. It's a shame that some of you have to be reminded of that but here we are.

Screenshot (497).png

almost nothing in this post addresses any of the criticisms i’ve made about quinn. his pocket presence, his footwork, and his accuracy are all well below where they should be at this point in his career, and have been issues for QE from day 1.  he has improved as a QB, but he still has a ton of room for improvement, and is visually, empirically, and statistically inferior to the top QBs in the country. leagues away from these guys, really. the idea that it’s simply our system which has those guys performing better is blind homerism BS. you’re basically insinuating that we could switch out QE for any of the top QBs and all teams would still perform exactly as they have, which is a ridiculous notion. QE has lots of work to do before he is in the level of the likes of daniels, williams, nix, penix, etc.

i have fought back on the idea that QE is one of the best QBs in the country, that he’s a Longhorn legend (absolutely insane proclamation), and that he’s a lock to make it in the NFL. that’s what i’ve said about quinn. if you disagree with that, feel free to address it. otherwise most of what you said is just QE fluff that has nothing to do with any of my criticisms of him as our QB.

Then our fan base comes in here screaming that Quinn can't read a defense

now i had to address this part because this is just egregious. have you watched him play? the dude cannot read defenses. sark has tailored this offense to give quinn fewer reads to get the ball out quickly and/or to one specific target because of his aforementioned pocket presence and his inability to read defenses. when pressure comes QE is incapable of sliding up in the pocket with his eyes downfield and going through his progressions; if his read isn’t there he immediately craters, looks for a running lane, and then usually gets crumpled up right in the middle of 7 linemen all descending upon him on the middle of the pocket.

the idea that he’s out here making professions and staying calm in the pocket is blatantly false. i’m fact it’s one of the worst facets of his game. it’s funny how sunday-friday this forum loves the act like that’s not the case, only to read the game thread on saturday and see 2,000 posts about terrible quinn is in the pocket and under pressure. funny how that works.

Edited by shadow_operative

29 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

I’m happy and I’ve never said otherwise.

Overachievement would be beating teams more experienced and talented than us and not losing to those less talented. Bama may be more talented than us, but it’s marginal at best. They had an inexperienced QB and a frosh LT. Ours may not be supremely experienced, but they’re similarly talented with more experience. Their Oline has not been particularly good in several years either.

Who exactly on our schedule can say they have better talent and experience than us? TCU wasn’t going to replicate their season. ISU has a frosh QB. KSU lost arguably their best offensive and defensive players. OU was coming off a terrible season, has minimal depth. Bu, OSU, Tech?

So it was one coin flip, maybe two. You’d expect to hit one. Throw in a slip up game and you’re at 10 wins. Anything less than is absolutely battered fan syndrome. 10-11 wins was reasonable and what talent and experience indicated as a reasonable expectation.

I've got two thoughts about what you've said - not really complete arguments, but I want to put them out there.

1. A coin flip has even odds (50/50) of coming up heads or tails, but if you flip a coin ten times the odds of it coming up heads every time is 1/1024. It's not as simply as looking at the odds for each individual coin flip - you have to look at the series. That's what football seasons usually feel like to me. It's not just the individual games, it's the entire season of them. 

2. The argument that we should beat every team that we're more talented than flies in the face of our history as a program, and the proud CFB tradition of more talented teams losing to less talented teams. It happens every year, in every conference, and it happens a lot.

I'm not sure how those thoughts fit into this conversation, something about math and history, but I would assume that is why Vegas had us at 9.5 wins instead of 11. 

• Hook 'Em 3

no one has claimed he's a Texas legend yet. But most reasonable people would agree he's the best sophomore QB since Colt (So) and Vince (So) and I think even though on the field results weren't great for Sam, we can throw him in there too.  No one is comparing him to VY 2005 or Colt 2009. It's also true that he's one of the best performing underclassmen at the QB spot in the country.

he is doing that against teams that are determined to take away that part of the offense and live with the running game

LOLOLOL. any team that has faced Texas the last two years and was determined to let us run the ball with our literally-best-in-nation RBs and to not let quinn ewers beat them deserves to have their entire coaching staff permanently banned from ever cocking again. this is insane QE homerism. insane. bijan and brooks and baxter run well because of QE’s mere presence? 

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7a6aybka5w8hd6dmc44

unbelievably delusional. 

6 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

I've got two thoughts about what you've said - not really complete arguments, but I want to put them out there.

1. A coin flip has even odds (50/50) of coming up heads or tails, but if you flip a coin ten times the odds of it coming up heads every time is 1/1024. It's not as simply as looking at the odds for each individual coin flip - you have to look at the series. That's what football seasons usually feel like to me. It's not just the individual games, it's the entire season of them. 

2. The argument that we should beat every team that we're more talented than flies in the face of our history as a program, and the proud CFB tradition of more talented teams losing to less talented teams. It happens every year, in every conference, and it happens a lot.

I'm not sure how those thoughts fit into this conversation, something about math and history, but I would assume that is why Vegas had us at 9.5 wins instead of 11. 

it means 9-3 / 10-2 was the mark and Texas exceeded it.  Bama and OU were coin flips.  That means there was a 25% chance we would win both.  And most expected at least 1-2 that were toss ups not on paper but how the game actually played out - I think that's probably KSU and TCU. that's another 25% chance to win both. Of the first set we did not hit that 25% chance of winning both. On the other set we did. note that the chance of winning all four of those toss ups - two on paper and two on the field is 6.25%.  As it stands, we only had an 18.75% of winning 3 out of 4 of those toss ups. And that was what happened.  That suggests more talent/execution than simple odds.

The good news is I don't think this weekend is a toss up on paper or on the field. The match ups suggest something entirely different.

12 minutes ago, troph said:

no one has claimed he's a Texas legend yet

man you sure do miss a lot in this thread. first you didn’t see anyone attacking me (so i cited about nine posts of personal attacks, couldn’t fit in the other 20, including the five different people who made the same joke about me having never had a girflifrend, again, as a response to my post about football), and now you haven’t seen the post in this thread where a guy straight up said, “he’s a longhorn legend”, a post which got beaucoup pos reps from the denizens of this thread. so yes, he has been called a longhorn legend in this thread, but i guess you have a pretty severe case of only seeing what you want to see so you missed it.

Edited by shadow_operative