Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet

Coach pop a bitch

1 hour ago, sunset87 said:

Last time for me on this play. 

It wasn’t a great throw by Quinn but it was catchable in bounds, imo. He was under pressure and had to get rid of the ball where he could give AD a chance to make the catch.

If AD breaks to the outside instead of doing a 360 degree spin he could have been in position to jump sooner, jumping at the same time the DB jumps and essentially “blocking him out”, like a rebound. He’s taller and bigger than the DB, so I think he wins that battle. The ball is slapped away right on the boundary line. I think if AD could have jumped straight up earlier he could have made the catch and gotten a foot in bounds. 

Maybe Quinn was improvising because of the pressure and threw it to a different spot than AD was expecting, we don’t know. But, I don’t think the blame should fall all on Quinn for that play.

All of this shit boils down to the fact that Quinn is the field general, his job is to read the defense and adjust his throw based on coverage, and he still throws a fucking fade to the back of the end zone when it’s clear how far off the defender is playing.

This has nothing to do with how many games Penix has played or losing to the “better team.” It boils down to a situation where we need to score a TD to go to the national championship, and Quinn can’t see the soft coverage and still decides to lob it to the side of the end zone. AD is only heading to the pylon if Quinn throws to the pylon, which he did not do. AD ran a stupid looking route because Quinn made a stupid throw. Quinn should be able to see this and go into autopylon mode after starting 20+ games. 

16:10 Talk about last play

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, MrBig said:

All of this shit boils down to the fact that Quinn is the field general, his job is to read the defense and adjust his throw based on coverage, and he still throws a fucking fade to the back of the end zone when it’s clear how far off the defender is playing.

This has nothing to do with how many games Penix has played or losing to the “better team.” It boils down to a situation where we need to score a TD to go to the national championship, and Quinn can’t see the soft coverage and still decides to lob it to the side of the end zone. AD is only heading to the pylon if Quinn throws to the pylon, which he did not do. AD ran a stupid looking route because Quinn made a stupid throw. Quinn should be able to see this and go into autopylon mode after starting 20+ games. 

no no, you’re wrong. just read ThatGuy’s typically self righteous, condescending post at the top of the page. throwing a deep fade when the DB is 8-10 yards off the WR is “the right play”, and if AD Mitchell wasn’t so lazy then he’d have made the right play and not screwed over his perfect QB who has never made an errant throw or bad read in his life. 🙄 how anyone can watch that play and defend that throw is baffling. the DB couldn’t have asked for an easier throw to defend.

Edited by shadow_operative

8 hours ago, Tex Long said:

Got beat? No, we lost to a very much equivalent team. We came within a few seconds of winning. And that's with a -2 in turnovers and our QB going 0-5 to start the game and 0-4 to end it. No blame, just woulda-coulda-shoulda.

Lulz.  The fog of war.  Ewers was 0-4 to start and 1-4 to finish.  Yay!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Atticus said:

Now we can debate whether Arch would have made that throw or not. I’m kidding. 

That play should be motivating Quinn to no end though. At the very least he should learn to be more consistently calm in the pocket. 

He should also get better at knowing which arm angle to use for his throws. 

I don't think Quinn has happy feet. I see him step up in the pocket like a boss often. He ran tough. I think early in the game, UW saw something on film which resulted in all those blocked passes. And they schemed up alot of pressure, which I thought he handled well overall. Also, a month off made the passing game rusty. WR's not getting turned around. We did not look very polished. 

I believe this is Quinn's team next year and I expect him to take another step with his long ball and his progressions. 

Arch can wait a year. If he's the QB next year, it'll be because of injury or because we shit the bed.

Colt is watching in the top screen

Lol. Maybe he was just dejected that we lost generally. Maybe he didn’t like the play call. Maybe he didn’t like the OL failure, etc. You have no fucking idea what he is specifically thinking with that reaction.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, scottsins said:

Lol. Maybe he was just dejected that we lost generally. Maybe he didn’t like the play call. Maybe he didn’t like the OL failure, etc. You have no fucking idea what he is specifically thinking with that reaction.

You callin' Mr Big a liar? You sayin' he ain't telepathic? 

• Haha 1

Hell I got laughed at by a few folks here for saying that he wouldn't get drafted if he declares. Why would he declare? It just seems so damn silly. This kid is the highest rated QB recruit in the nation since Vince Young. First player to get a million dollar NIL deal. What does he have to show for it? Second team Big 12 QB and a conference title. My god, not even an award finalist for Maxwell or O'Brien. I don't wish the kid ill will at all. What this feels like is taking the hottest girl in school to prom, you get your photo taken with her at the door, and then she leaves. No dance, no midnight kiss, don't even get to grab an ass cheek. "Oh what could have been". That's what we'll be saying if he declares for the draft.

You got laughed at because it’s an extremely stupid take.

The last three years of third round selections at QB are the all star team known as Hendon Hooker (torn ACL and all), Malik Willis, Matt Corral, Kellen Mond, and Davis Mills. If you think there is any chance Ewers falls below that tier, let alone out of the draft entirely, just stop watching football.

Ewers should come back to refine his game and solidify his standing as a first round pick. He would get eaten alive on an NFL field right now. That does not, however, mean he would not be drafted.
  • Hook 'Em 4

When Bill Parcells was coaching the Cowboys he did a post-draft press conference and talked about his rules for drafting a QB.

The Rules:

• He must be a senior, because you need time and maturity to develop into a good professional quarterback.

• He must be a graduate, because you want someone who takes his responsibilities seriously.

• He must be a three-year starter, because you need to make sure his success wasn’t ephemeral and that he has lived as “the guy” for some period of time.

• He must have at least 23 wins, because the big passing numbers must come in the context of winning games.

a season stat line of 272 of 394 for 69.0%, 3,479 yards, an 8.8 ypc, with 22 TD against 6 INT and a 158.6 passer rating, but, more importantly, a 12-1 regular season with a Big 12 championship and 0:01 and one misread pass away from playing for a

I would take this every year from our QB and be fuckin happy. Who gives a fuck about the nfl or draft stock or draft pick slot??? Ewers led us to one of the best seasons in our history and you dumb fucks gonna still give the QB shit. Jesus fuckin christ.
  • Hook 'Em 4

4 hours ago, scottsins said:

Yeah. And I mean…a guy who started for 4 years at Texas and then played for 14 years in the NFL may have seen something that the 20 year old kid didn’t? Is this supposed to be some indictment on QE? Christ.

5 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

When Bill Parcells was coaching the Cowboys he did a post-draft press conference and talked about his rules for drafting a QB.

I'm no Bill Parcells, but how realistic could that strategy have been over the last 20-30 years? With that strategy, you miss out on Tom Brady, Brett Favre, Aaron Rodgers, Kurt Warner, and Drew Bledsoe...who Parcells actually drafted in 1993 and who wasn't a senior, didn't graduate, wasn't a 3-year starter, and didn't win 23 games (actually it was 7 in his first two years). I think Bill is maybe full of shit.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, MrBig said:

21 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

no no, you’re wrong. just read ThatGuy’s typically self righteous, condescending post at the top of the page. throwing a deep fade when the DB is 8-10 yards off the WR is “the right play”, and if AD Mitchell wasn’t so lazy then he’d have made the right play and not screwed over his perfect QB who has never made an errant throw or bad read in his life. 🙄 how anyone can watch that play and defend that throw is baffling. the DB couldn’t have asked for an easier throw to defend.

What the hell are you talking about Derka? So you think Quinn is supposed to throw a route AD isn't running because he SEES something else they could've done that would've worked out better even though AD doesn't? How stupid a take is that? AD is the guy who has to recognize that and Quinn is the guy who has to throw it. Otherwise the ball gets airmailed out of bounds at the pylon with AD still running the original route. The fade was called. You can tell the fade was called because of the route AD is running. As a QB you throw the ball WHERE the receiver is, not where you think he should be. The ball is moving 3 times as fast as the receiver is moving. You throw it somewhere other than where he is going/expecting it and no one will be there to catch it. No one said it was the right play. I said that is WHERE you throw the ball if its a fade and your receiver is 6 inches taller than the DB. As I said above, if you are AD your route stem needs to attack the inside leverage which will give you more room to work. Then AD should've come back and got that ball at its highest point. He did none of that.

This is what you do. You jumped on the "Quinn Is Trash" bandwagon early and so you are doubling down and like a good captain, going down with the ship.

ptLKqG.gif

Since you are new to football this is how you run an end zone fade, or a fade in general.

Notice the guy talking keeps talking about attacking inside leverage and not allowing yourself to drift outside because the DB will close on you, which is exactly what AD did. You will find these exact talking points on every video explaining how to run a fade no matter if its goalline, vs man, or vs zone. So you can argue with coaches now about whether or not AD ran a solid route. Just because you don't understand it doesn't mean it's wrong.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, Thatguy said:

What the hell are you talking about Derka? So you think Quinn is supposed to throw a route AD isn't running because he SEES something else they could've done that would've worked out better even though AD doesn't? How stupid a take is that? AD is the guy who has to recognize that and Quinn is the guy who has to throw it. Otherwise the ball gets airmailed out of bounds at the pylon with AD still running the original route. The fade was called. You can tell the fade was called because of the route AD is running. As a QB you throw the ball WHERE the receiver is, not where you think he should be. The ball is moving 3 times as fast as the receiver is moving. You throw it somewhere other than where he is going/expecting it and no one will be there to catch it. No one said it was the right play. I said that is WHERE you throw the ball if its a fade and your receiver is 6 inches taller than the DB. As I said above, if you are AD your route stem needs to attack the inside leverage which will give you more room to work. Then AD should've come back and got that ball at its highest point. He did none of that.

This is what you do. You jumped on the "Quinn Is Trash" bandwagon early and so you are doubling down and like a good captain, going down with the ship.

ptLKqG.gif

Since you are new to football this is how you run an end zone fade, or a fade in general.

Notice the guy talking keeps talking about attacking inside leverage and not allowing yourself to drift outside because the DB will close on you, which is exactly what AD did. You will find these exact talking points on every video explaining how to run a fade no matter if its goalline, vs man, or vs zone. So you can argue with coaches now about whether or not AD ran a solid route. Just because you don't understand it doesn't mean it's wrong.

87FB0E9D-9527-40F8-B4FA-679F9050A9B9.thumb.jpeg.4446297a5135120d4e1fe6ad61933003.jpeg

The top pic is the point at which Quinn releases the ball. The trajectory of the ball ends almost horizontal to the defender who is far behind. There is no need to pin the receiver between the front of the ‘N’ and the sideline when you can adjust the throw to be a few feet closer in the space between AD and the pylon.

So what if I’ve been critical of Quinn before? Would my opinion be more valid to you if I was constantly praising him? 

I’m here in the Quinn Ewers thread talking about football and you’re talking about me going down with the ship because I’ve been critical of Quinn before. What ship? We can all have differing opinions about Quinn and his football IQ without turning it into some personal vendetta. 

ptLKqG.gif

[/url]  

That guy just seems like a clown. I can’t stand trying to listen to his videos. Do you have a screenshot of them presnap?

All I will say about that last play is it looked off. I am not sure if Mitchell was expecting the pass, but his route was pretty strange. The ball didnt match that route. He opens to the inside and the ball is outside. Maybe it was a called fade and Mitchell adjusted on his own.  I am sure Sark, Mitchell, and Ewers know who messed up, but I dont. Either way Mitchell and Ewers were not on the same page. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

This is the pre-snap look

IMG_3877.thumb.png.d3ce2077e550c816ac4c64f69e1d757a.png

This is the skycam look when Quinn is about to throw 

IMG_3881.thumb.png.ff7f3198b7f7e3e09fc813d6ca8c5ead.png

I get the point Thatguy is trying to make when it comes to the WR creating leverage, but all of that shit is moot when the defender is so far off and the separation is already there.

Quinn has to adjust the throw towards the space between AD and the pylon instead of lobbing it to the back where the side of the “N” is. Look at all that open space in front yet he decides to throw it into an area that is nearly horizontal to where the defender is. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

All I will say about that last play is it looked off. I am not sure if Mitchell was expecting the pass, but his route was pretty strange. The ball didnt match that route. He opens to the inside and the ball is outside. Maybe it was a called fade and Mitchell adjusted on his own.  I am sure Sark, Mitchell, and Ewers know who messed up, but I dont. Either way Mitchell and Ewers were not on the same page. 

I’m going to my grave thinking Mitchell and Ewers were both shocked by the alignment of the corner and they got caught in the middle of trying to figure out what to do. Ewers, while getting pressured, reverted back to the fade and tried to give AD a chance. 

9 minutes ago, Levi said:

I’m going to my grave thinking Mitchell and Ewers were both shocked by the alignment of the corner and they got caught in the middle of trying to figure out what to do. Ewers, while getting pressured, reverted back to the fade and tried to give AD a chance. 

That read should have been pre-snap between both though.

11 minutes ago, Levi said:

Texas does not run a lot of fades, so that in itself may have been an issue. I am not sure how flexible Sark is on adjustments. Without knowing that this is all mental masturbation. 

1 hour ago, MrBig said:

IMG_3877.thumb.png.d3ce2077e550c816ac4c64f69e1d757a.png

This is the skycam look when Quinn is about to throw 

IMG_3881.thumb.png.ff7f3198b7f7e3e09fc813d6ca8c5ead.png

I get the point Thatguy is trying to make when it comes to the WR creating leverage, but all of that shit is moot when the defender is so far off and the separation is already there.

Quinn has to adjust the throw towards the space between AD and the pylon instead of lobbing it to the back where the side of the “N” is. Look at all that open space in front yet he decides to throw it into an area that is nearly horizontal to where the defender is. 

Mitchell is not going to get to the pylon, if Quinn throws it with heat. He was late on the softball. AD turns inside, not outside on his "break". Mitchell seems to be running a sloppy curl/stop route (perhaps an adjustment to the Db)  and Quinn is throwing a fade. 

Edited by Codaxx

16 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Mitchell is not going to get to the pylon, if Quinn throws it with heat. He was late on the softball. AD turns inside, not outside on his "break". Mitchell seems to be running a sloppy curl/stop route (perhaps an adjustment to the Db)  and Quinn is throwing a fade. 

If the play plays out exactly like it did and Quinn throws the ball at AD's left shoulder and not high it forces the defender to have to go through AD to make a play instead of up and over. 

But as I stated a little above I don't believe Quinn or AD were on same page for that play.

23 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

IMG_3999.gif.12fe58ec65b7448a5099779053589459.gif

I’m not saying throw it AT the pylon, I’m saying for Quinn to throw it in the space between AD and the pylon. 

Look at AD as he crosses the goal line. The defender is still far off. Yes the play call is a fade, but why not adjust the throw toward the front side of AD when the defender is on the opposite side? 

1 minute ago, MrBig said:

IMG_3999.gif.12fe58ec65b7448a5099779053589459.gif

I’m not saying throw it AT the pylon, I’m saying for Quinn to throw it in the space between AD and the pylon. 

Look at AD as he crosses the goal line. The defender is still far off. Yes the play call is a fade, but why not adjust the throw toward the front side of AD when the defender is on the opposite side? 

Like I said, we have 0 idea of the adjustments that Sark allows or the team works on. I am just confused to why Mitchell opens to the inside with the DB playing inside leverage. Quite honestly we do not know what kind of break the DB will make. He was to the spot before AD. For this to be a TD, Ewers had to hit Mitchell on the outside shoulder with a frozen rope on the turn. That is something the Mahommes and Kelce probably would do, because of their connection and years of familiarity. I am sure Sark knows, but he is never going to tell us. I would love to hear it though 

27 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

That read should have been pre-snap between both though.

Not necessarily. The DB could be playing off, buzzing his feet and reacting to AD. The shocking part was he kept retreating into the endzone and I don’t think that is good defense at all. He was still almost 5 yards away from AD by the time AD got to the 2 yard line. The play call was a little different since Ewers was rolling out but the first touchdown to AD in CCG the okie st DB had better alignment and it was still unguardable. 

26 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Texas does not run a lot of fades, so that in itself may have been an issue. I am not sure how flexible Sark is on adjustments. Without knowing that this is all mental masturbation. 

Yeah basically. The fade to AD for a touchdown previously was a great throw and catch tho. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MrBig said:

4 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

4 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

It is really not....you still have to stim inside to keep the defender from turning too early even with off alignment. 

BurntOrange is correct. No matter where the DB is you have to force him to move his feet so you can create separation. Otherwise he will get a great jump on the ball as soon as its thrown. AD runs a soft, rounded off route here and the DB immediately breaks on it. It wouldn't have matter if he threw the ball high or low the DB was never fooled and no matter where the ball was he was going to run through AD to get it anyway.

We don't need to know what the call was. No matter what AD still ran a shit route. You never do what he does here under any circumstances as a receiver. Ever.

Here is a fade run vs off man with inside leverage. Just like above the route stem is run to stress the DBs inside leverage and then a quick adjustment back to the outside. It doesn't matter what scenario you are always taught to manipulate the DB so you can create sep on the break. That is literally 101 receiver training. Also, @MrBig the post about going down with the ship was for Derka. I didn't mean to quote you on it. Ignore all that. Derka called his shot on QE early and ever since Quinn turned the corner he has refused to eat crow on it.

that second frame AD has the defensive back turned inside, man you gotta seal that deal make him think he's set up right and start a break in then break out. that route whatever it was looks lazy.

21 hours ago, MrBig said:

That would be a pretty risky move by Ewers on the last play of the game (barring penalty).  Unless that adjustment is part of the in-play read for both players, he'd be gambling that AD could have gotten to the ball.

On 1/8/2024 at 2:52 PM, Thatguy said:

BurntOrange is correct. No matter where the DB is you have to force him to move his feet so you can create separation. Otherwise he will get a great jump on the ball as soon as its thrown. AD runs a soft, rounded off route here and the DB immediately breaks on it. It wouldn't have matter if he threw the ball high or low the DB was never fooled and no matter where the ball was he was going to run through AD to get it anyway.

We don't need to know what the call was. No matter what AD still ran a shit route. You never do what he does here under any circumstances as a receiver. Ever.

Here is a fade run vs off man with inside leverage. Just like above the route stem is run to stress the DBs inside leverage and then a quick adjustment back to the outside. It doesn't matter what scenario you are always taught to manipulate the DB so you can create sep on the break. That is literally 101 receiver training. Also, @MrBig the post about going down with the ship was for Derka. I didn't mean to quote you on it. Ignore all that. Derka called his shot on QE early and ever since Quinn turned the corner he has refused to eat crow on it.

Shoot. I wish you would have thought to share this with Sark and Quinn Ewers before the last play.