Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet

Coach pop a bitch

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, immamac said:

It's funny this thread is so dead in the spring. 

No roller coaster for me. At least, not with such steep drops.

Ewers looked Good last season. REALLY good. Not the Best, but better than damned near any QB at any school, including ours. 

I don't know, nor do you, nor do any of us know, but it appears that his Head Coach thinks he's even better than last season, and also better than his teammates. I think we all agree on that, and so there is no controversy at this point.

No surprise so far. And that's a Good Thing.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, Tex Long said:

No roller coaster for me. At least, not with such steep drops.

Ewers looked Good last season. REALLY good. Not the Best, but better than damned near any QB at any school, including ours. 

I don't know, nor do you, nor do any of us know, but it appears that his Head Coach thinks he's even better than last season, and also better than his teammates. I think we all agree on that, and so there is no controversy at this point.

No surprise so far. And that's a Good Thing.

My expectations would be for a big jump from year 1 to year 2 (which happened) and a lesser jump to year 3 (but which would be nice).  If he's noticeably better this year, he'll be a first-day draft pick.

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

My expectations would be for a big jump from year 1 to year 2 (which happened) and a lesser jump to year 3 (but which would be nice).  If he's noticeably better this year, he'll be a first-day draft pick.

Likewise. Plus, it looks like as far as offense goes we may be even better, overall, in the WR/TE department, not any worse in the RB, and as good if not better in the OL.

Off topic for QB1, but it seems that Sark is going to be holding PK's feet to the fire.

I may be wrong, but the only regular season loss I think the blame goes on the D. The offense handed over a lead with 0U 75 yards away and barely a minute left and no timeouts... and they couldn't hold it. 

4 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Likewise. Plus, it looks like as far as offense goes we may be even better, overall, in the WR/TE department, not any worse in the RB, and as good if not better in the OL.

I'm in wait and see on WR/TE.  I think RB will be same, maybe a bit better.  I'm so PTSD about the OL I can't even begin to hope they'll be better, but they might get there.

10 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm in wait and see on WR/TE.  I think RB will be same, maybe a bit better.  I'm so PTSD about the OL I can't even begin to hope they'll be better, but they might get there.

Well... they were good enough to be one of the three best teams in the land. I don't see any reason to think the OL will be worse. As for WR/TE, yeah Worthy and AD were top, top guys, but it sounds from what little we've heard from spring practice that we've got some really good replacements for them, and for sure in terms of depth.

As the man said, "Don't worry, son. Them alligators SECunts are more afraid of you than you are of them."

Just now, Tex Long said:

Well... they were good enough to be one of the three best teams in the land. I don't see any reason to think the OL will be worse.

Like I said, it's PTSD, which has accrued over more than a decade.  I'm sure you understand.

• Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Like I said, it's PTSD, which has accrued over more than a decade.  I'm sure you understand.

I get it, probably as much if not more than most. My four years as an undergrad at Texas, we won 40 games, with 3 losses and a tie. And the MNC in '63. And we beat Joe Namath and the Bear.

I've been less than super-enthusiastic about Sark, but he's growing on me. I wish he'd quit OC'ing, but the results so far are a lot better than what we've seen late and post-Mack, so I reckon I can stand with what he's got going on. 

Having Ewers growing up and acting like a man has not been a Bad Thing.

• Hook 'Em 4

Warning - typical over analysis of the spring game based on about 3 plays, and play from last year too. 

We are now well into the Ewers era. As I compare him in the pocket to Owens and Manning, he just doesn’t seem quite as “natural”, whatever that really means. 

As an example, Murphy always looked very robotic and unsure in the pocket. It was obvious. Ewers obviously looked wayyyy better than that, and of course led the team to the big 12 title. But he just doesn’t look quite as comfortable as other top QB’s. I can’t verbalize what exactly the issue is. 

He has a strong arm, but does he lack some athleticism that holds him back? Is he mentally still not there? Something doesn’t feel right. Maybe he’s just maxed out his talent and mental acuity. Maybe it’s nothing and he will be spectacular next year. There were some spectacular plays during the year. Maybe we see a lot more this year to put the question to bed once and for all. 

• Hook 'Em 5

You’re seeing the difference between a guy that has nfl level footwork and mechanics that has been coached up by his hall of fame uncles versus a guy that relied on his elite arm talent and never really developed his footwork and pocket presence.  Quinn’s experience has given him an edge this year which hold a lot of weight, but you’re not the only one wondering why our starting QB still looks uncomfortable in the pocket 3 years in. 

• Hook 'Em 7

On 4/14/2024 at 6:06 PM, Tex Long said:

I get it, probably as much if not more than most. My four years as an undergrad at Texas, we won 40 games, with 3 losses and a tie. And the MNC in '63. And we beat Joe Namath and the Bear.

I've been less than super-enthusiastic about Sark, but he's growing on me. I wish he'd quit OC'ing, but the results so far are a lot better than what we've seen late and post-Mack, so I reckon I can stand with what he's got going on. 

Having Ewers growing up and acting like a man has not been a Bad Thing.

Awkward Krieger GIF by Archer

28 minutes ago, victory88 said:

You’re seeing the difference between a guy that has nfl level footwork and mechanics that has been coached up by his hall of fame uncles versus a guy that relied on his elite arm talent and never really developed his footwork and pocket presence.  Quinn’s experience has given him an edge this year which hold a lot of weight, but you’re not the only one wondering why our starting QB still looks uncomfortable in the pocket 3 years in. 

This year is gonna be interesting.  Quinn has yet to make it through a full year of games and the difference this year is if that happens, he might not get his job back. 

• Drool 1

52 minutes ago, victory88 said:

the qb position better be an open competition this aug, whether sark admits it or not

ewers should have went pro. he had two top nfl wr’s prospects last year, and a good te  ….

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Manning had a hell of a spring game. Ewers is still better today, but this game by Arch is gonna have people buzzing about Texas football all summer. 

Ewers better stay healthy and play well early this season

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

the qb position better be an open competition this aug, whether sark admits it or not

ewers should have went pro. he had two top nfl wr’s prospects last year, and a good te  ….

We saw a glorified practice. Sark has seen 3 weeks of Qb play. I'm sure Sark is going to ruin his coaching career and our first year in the SEC because he is stupid and starts Quinn over the opinions of internet coaches.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, crash_davis said:

We saw a glorified practice. Sark has seen 3 weeks of Qb play. I'm sure Sark is going to ruin his coaching career and our first year in the SEC because he is stupid and starts Quinn over the opinions of internet coaches.

ill admit, ewers last play vs Wash is stuck in my head. That throw was just poorly executed

I'm sure he’ll bounce back and have a great season 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, tx 3 putt said:

ill admit, ewers last play vs Wash is stuck in my head. That throw was just poorly executed

I'm sure he’ll bounce back and have a great season 

That last play was mostly on Sark. That was his BEST play call for a must have TD play? We showed in the scrimmage today a much higher percentage play. But Quinn and Mitchell didn't do that play any favors. Lazy execution on route running and lazy throw.

2 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

That last play was mostly on Sark. That was his BEST play call for a must have TD play? We showed in the scrimmage today a much higher percentage play. But Quinn and Mitchell didn't do that play any favors. Lazy execution on route running and lazy throw.

😡😡😡

Edited by tx 3 putt

We know what Ewers can do over the course of a season.  He's very good, maybe not great, but surely draft-able.  Manning seemingly shows higher upside, but making this a controversy is stupid.  Manning will get his shot, and he's patient.  He has the talent to potentially be a #1 pick.  Ewers doesn't have that, but he could be a first-rounder for sure.  Just let this process play out.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

Your take is as laughable as your grammar.

Ewers is the starter this year until he gets knocked out of a game and can’t play the next one. 

At the start of any single game this fall, Ewers is a better QB than Arch until Arch gets enough game time to show otherwise. 
I hope that Arch gets at least 30 pass attempts this year even if Quinn never gets knocked out of a game. I would love for him to top 50 attempts on the season  

In my not-so-humble opinion…

If Quinn had declared for the draft, Arch would have been a better QB by the end of the season this year than Quinn actually will be. 

I think that Arch will be a better college QB than Quinn (and a better pro) and will get to the highest level of college QB play much faster than Quinn, but Quinn stayed in school (which he desperately needed to do) and that has pushed back Arch’s development. 

• Hook 'Em 1

If I was Sark I’d gather the offense staff, Quinn, and Arch together at the beginning of Fall camp and explain this coaching decision. This would be the plan going into each game and the players will then know it, as well as expect it.

Every third possession of the 1st Qtr, Arch is going into the game with the 1’s, unless the opponent just pinned us deep, like within the 5, then it would be the next possession, regardless of the score: up, down, or tied.

Quinn would then go back into the game, as he is the starter, even if Arch just led the team down the field for a TD, FG, or nothing. It’s all just a plan to have a more “active / utilized” backup.

I would even do the second possession of the 2H, with the same already being planned before hand. Waiting on the waning minutes of and out of hand game doesn’t give him game experience, especially just handing off, throwing short routes, and taking a knee. And nobody wants to see Quinn get hurt in order to finally see Arch get meaningful snaps with the 1’s.

I bet Mack wished he had an “experienced GG” in the ‘09 Rose Bowl.

Hook’em!!!

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, msucolt45 said:

If I was Sark I’d gather the offense staff, Quinn, and Arch together at the beginning of Fall camp and explain this coaching decision. This would be the plan going into each game and the players will then know it, as well as expect it.

Every third possession of the 1st Qtr, Arch is going into the game with the 1’s, unless the opponent just pinned us deep, like within the 5, then it would be the next possession, regardless of the score: up, down, or tied.

Quinn would then go back into the game, as he is the starter, even if Arch just led the team down the field for a TD, FG, or nothing. It’s all just a plan to have a more “active / utilized” backup.

I would even do the second possession of the 2H, with the same already being planned before hand. Waiting on the waning minutes of and out of hand game doesn’t give him game experience, especially just handing off, throwing short routes, and taking a knee. And nobody wants to see Quinn get hurt in order to finally see Arch get meaningful snaps with the 1’s.

I bet Mack wished he had an “experienced GG” in the ‘09 Rose Bowl.

Hook’em!!!

kevin hart wtf GIF by Kevin Hart's Laugh Out Loud

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

In all seriousness though, the recurring issues with Quinn were the positives we saw today with Arch. Footwork, urgency in the pocket, zip on the ball when needed. 

I hope Quinn feels the heat. He needs to get better, and maybe today's game and the talk after will speed up the process. 

I'm still on the "start Quinn, and let Arch take over next year" train, but this is a much closer battle than I originally thought. We are a title contender and need to do whatever it takes to be the best team we can be. 

• Hook 'Em 2