Who is your Hero?

40acredropout

My mom. Both sets of my (late) grandparents.My wife. My sons.

Maybe not all that sexy, but they have all inspired me to be better. When things are down, they are the direction that I look for support and guidance. Everything I am and will be is because of them in one way or another.

there have been plenty of sports figures that I admire, but that’s not remotely in the same realm discussion as what my family means to me.

My dad. Born into a loving but lower class family, left home for the military and served 26 years (enlisted, not an officer). Then worked for the VA for another 17 odd years. Through self-sacrifice, hard work and shrewd investing, is now a retired millionaire. Never brags about his accomplishments, never puts himself above anyone else. Most importantly for me, he never said to me "I told you so", when I gave him plenty of opportunities. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, RPM said:

There can only be one.

iXhcFP.gif

26cbe864c47b6e9de9c46267a06dead0-origina

Yep, actually my first real "hero" as a kid.  And I remember when I came up to Texas, and bumped into him (literally) at El Arroyo.  I had to say something -- "Earl, I just wanted to tell you that you were my first hero, and thanks for never letting me down."  He was really shy and quiet, but smiled and said thanks.

Since then, I have no heroes.  Only villains.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Like many, I don't really have heroes.  I respect the hell out of some folks for sure.  But heroes?  That said, I'm going to leave this here.  Then I'm going to watch it for the billionth time and get choked up like I always do.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, dcbc said:

Like many, I don't really have heroes.  I respect the hell out of some folks for sure.  But heroes?  That said, I'm going to leave this here.  Then I'm going to watch it for the billionth time and get choked up like I always do.

Same, at least when we’re talking Longhorns. I was too young and lived on the East coast when Earl was on the 40 Acres. And while Ricky played from my senior year through law school, it was during the mediocre to shitty Mackovic years.

But Vince? I had just moved back to Austin in the fall of 2003, his redshirt freshman year. We went 10-3, 12-1, and 13-0, with a motherfucking championship. Those teams were a ton of fun to watch (I saw every home game, and several on the road), and usually because of the wizardry that Vince brought to the field. He brought me a lot of joy for three years.

I also can’t say Vince is a hero. But I don’t think I’ve loved another Longhorn athlete more than him.

Edited by South Austin
  • Hook 'Em 1

You know, upon reflection... I don't have a hero because part of being an adult is understanding that every single person is a flawed human and shouldn't be looked at in that way. And I feel that way about this candidate here, but the person who I strongly identify as being like me but successful where my goals were only aspirational is Jason Isbell.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

You know, upon reflection... I don't have a hero because part of being an adult is understanding that every single person is a flawed human and shouldn't be looked at in that way. And I feel that way about this candidate here, but the person who I strongly identify as being like me but successful where my goals were only aspirational is Jason Isbell.

Can I remind you that Al Bundy scored four touchdowns in the City Championship game?  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

no heros, but i do admire:

-churchill and samuel clemens for producing so many goddamn clever quotes

-people who write so well be it a literary author, journalist, or even 'just' a blogger

-some randos across the internet (forums) who display supreme magnanimity (i wish i had that self-control and social intelligence)

-people who turn their personal interest, which is also fascinating, into an activity with financial independence...example is this guy and his youtube channel

https://www.youtube.com/c/AppliedScience

My grandfather (dad’s dad) fought in WW2 in the European theater.  Fought under Patton and earned 3 bronze stars.  He single handedly took out a panzer tank in siege of Bastogne. He almost didn’t return to Texas because, even though he was married to my grandmother at the time (no kids when he left for war as they had a hell of a time getting pregnant) he fell for a Belgium girl. Eventually  decided to faithfully return and became a horse trader and eventually opened up a men’s clothing store.  When he passed in the late 90s he had accumulated $1mm in a little shit hole town in west Texas despite coming from nothing.  Pretty amazing. 

I didn’t find out about the Belgium chick until my maternal grandfather told me about it about 15 years after my paternal grandfather had passed. True hero that defeated (Belgium) pussy which is why I’m here.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Covri said:

I also choose Slorch's mom.

She had 23 foster kids and 3 of her own. All boys.

She could fix your sass.

i told her that I joined the Marine Corps because it was easier than living at home.

Edited by slorch

My favorite sports hero as a kid was Michael Jordan, hands down.

In the television age long before the advent of ESPN and a bunch of other channels that would show basketball games throughout the week, for some reason growing up in Virginia and North Carolina we got WGN, the “Chicago Superstation,” which would broadcast Bulls games almost every night and most weekends, unless NBC or another major network took over. I saw so many Bulls games for years during the week when there wasn’t much else to watch, and I naturally became a fan of those teams, even before the titles when they were getting bounced from the playoffs by the Pistons. And I fucking loved Jordan.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

My heroes growing up were my grandfather, my mom's 9 brothers, and Muggsy Bogues.  Now, I don't have heroes.  There are certainly people I admire (whether people I know personally or people I have read about), but adulthood has jaded me against holding anyone up too high; people will always disappoint you at some point.  It's amazingly sad how growing old forces you to see the flaws in other people.

Edited by Snake Diggity

I don't know if I'd call him my hero, but Anthony Bourdain is someone I really admired. When he died I was seriously bummed out for a couple weeks. He inspired me to travel the world and to appreciate great food no matter how humble. Outside of some family members that died, I haven't felt that way about anyone else I can think of.

21 minutes ago, burntorangebongos said:

I guess I admire people who walk their talk and live their passion despite the money or anything else. I think Mr Rogers did that, and Jimmy Carter has always lived his life in service of others. 

I was going to post Fred Rogers, but I see you did as well. I've admired him since I was young; I wouldn't say he is/was my hero, but someone whose actions and words were worthy of admiration.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, burntorangebongos said:

I guess I admire people who walk their talk and live their passion despite the money or anything else. I think Mr Rogers did that, and Jimmy Carter has always lived his life in service of others. 

4 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I was going to post Fred Rogers, but I see you did as well. I've admired him since I was young; I wouldn't say he is/was my hero, but someone whose actions and words were worthy of admiration.

I think military service in Vietnam really made Fred Rogers the compassionate person he is - there comes a point where you’ve killed so many people, that either you become a pacifist or you become a psychopath.

i think he was a UT fan or something, but just disgusted it as well.

13 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

I think military service in Vietnam really made Fred Rogers the compassionate person he is - there comes a point where you’ve killed so many people, that either you become a pacifist or you become a psychopath.

For me it has been multiple hurricane recoveries.  You see people who have lost everything except their very lives, and many times they are the  ones who are saying, "Let's get started again."  Not everyone is wired that way, but some are woven into that fabric of our society.

It is humbling and inspiring like few other things I have experienced.  

Edited by slorch

On 9/9/2022 at 4:10 PM, burntorangebongos said:

On 9/9/2022 at 4:35 PM, Mrs Whiggins said:

I said I have no heroes, but I do have a deep admiration for Fred Rogers based on what I know about him.

On 9/7/2022 at 4:21 PM, Celery Man said:

Similar feels, but my answer is George Jones. Jason Isbell is a nerd, George Jones was a danged man.