Game Week- Iowa State

Wulaw Horn

I think ISU covers. That’s not to say we don’t play a solid game but I feel like ISU will make us earn it in both sides of the ball. If Quinn is patient and we can run the ball between the tackles we will be fine. ISU is going to dink and dunk down the field. It may be frustrating at first but I think we pull away in the 4th. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

This Texas team has proven to be really hard to beat at home. Also, Sark has seen this Heacock defense before and ours is actually going to be playing with something they haven’t had in years—confidence. Barring totally uncharacteristic play from Quinn or our secondary, we win this game convincingly and show Arch a good time afterwards. The fate of the rest of this season will be decided next week in Stillwater. Go up there and win that game, and heads will turn.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Texasborn91 said:

I think ISU covers. That’s not to say we don’t play a solid game but I feel like ISU will make us earn it in both sides of the ball. If Quinn is patient and we can run the ball between the tackles we will be fine. ISU is going to dink and dunk down the field. It may be frustrating at first but I think we pull away in the 4th. 

I can pretty much promise you this won’t happen. Our OL is poor at run blocking and their D is very good against the run. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Our offensive line and running backs want to go out and show that we can run the ball against this team….we haven’t had much success against these Cyclones the past few years and we have a point to make….Sark will draw up plays to loosen up the D-line in order for us to run the ball effectively.

7 hours ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

This Texas team has proven to be really hard to beat at home. Also, Sark has seen this Heacock defense before and ours is actually going to be playing with something they haven’t had in years—confidence. Barring totally uncharacteristic play from Quinn or our secondary, we win this game convincingly and show Arch a good time afterwards. The fate of the rest of this season will be decided next week in Stillwater. Go up there and win that game, and heads will turn.

I think Texas wins. ISU is not a great team, but they make everything ugly. I would not be surprised if this was something like 23-9 type of game. Quinn and the offense struggle early. Texas eventually breaks through and pulls away in the 4q, as the offense figures things out. 

1 hour ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Our offensive line and running backs want to go out and show that we can run the ball against this team….we haven’t had much success against these Cyclones the past few years and we have a point to make….Sark will draw up plays to loosen up the D-line in order for us to run the ball effectively.

Horns may have to throw more early to set up the run for later in this game. 

A few keys to beating Cyclones: 

1. Get our athletes into space vs Cyclone LBs and DBs
  2. Have patience and take advantage of holes in the Cyclone defense
  3. Offense scores TDs in redzone drives
  4. Defense needs to set the edges well, and limit yards on outside runs 
  5. Limit long drives for Cyclone offense
  6. Don't beat yourself with mistakes like dumb penalties and turnovers

Edited by LTtxfan
typo
  • Hook 'Em 2

50 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I think Texas wins. ISU is not a great team, but they make everything ugly. I would not be surprised if this was something like 23-9 type of game. Quinn and the offense struggle early. Texas eventually breaks through and pulls away in the 4q, as the offense figures things out. 

This is the way I see it as well, and it may be a good thing in the long run for this team to grind out a tough win where nothing comes easy. If we light them up then I’m making my reservations for Arlington. 

12 minutes ago, Texasrocks said:

Has the offense figured things out over the course of a game in Sark's tenure? Kansas last season?

Is this serious? Texas scored 14 pts in the 1st half vs Kansas last year with multiple turnovers and scored 35 in the second half (42 if you count OT). 

lol I’m picking Texas to win, but thinking this staff is going to figure things out in the fly in the second half is… a take.

Mrs. CHIEF is in Houston, and doesn't want to drive all the way back to Granbury to pick me up and drive all the way to Austin. Cleburne is a big railroad town. I'm jumping on an Amtrak at 2:52pm and will get off in Taylor at 5:36pm. My BIL's office is about 20 minutes away. You can bring your own booze and snacks on board. Total cost was $23.00. So for DFW peeps its $30 to downtown Austin, then $46 back to DFW on Sunday. Choo-choo is ur friend.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

Mrs. CHIEF is in Houston, and doesn't want to drive all the way back to Granbury to pick me up and drive all the way to Austin. Cleburne is a big railroad town. I'm jumping on an Amtrak at 2:52pm and will get off in Taylor at 5:36pm. My BIL's office is about 20 minutes away. You can bring your own booze and snacks on board. Total cost was $23.00. So for DFW peeps its $30 to downtown Austin, then $46 back to DFW on Sunday. Choo-choo is ur friend.

CHIEF

I hear South Austin’s mom is a fan of trains. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Codaxx said:

Is this serious? Texas scored 14 pts in the 1st half vs Kansas last year with multiple turnovers and scored 35 in the second half (42 if you count OT). 

That's why I mentioned it - it's the only instance I could think of where the offense played better in the second half. Texas had two fumbles and a pick six in the first half. Not punching yourself in the dick isn't really a strong indicator that you've figured things out though. It just means you stopped punching yourself in the dick.

On 10/11/2022 at 1:32 PM, DoubleQuarterPounder said:

You’re not an idiot. We gave Bijan an awful run blocking unit in his last season here and what should’ve been a heisman campaign. Dude always has to turn nothing into something. The posters who try to act like our unit isn’t awful at run blocking are in denial. There’s always guys hitting bijan before the LOS

True about the run blocking, but what if Bijan decides to come back next year? Be like Ricky and pass up the NFL for one last crack at the Heisman.

Just now, Longboard Horn said:

True about the run blocking, but what if Bijan decides to come back next year? Be like Ricky and pass up the NFL for one last crack at the Heisman.

Would be nice, but seems like those days are over. We had a run of incredibly good luck in keeping star players for their senior years in the early Mack tenure. Ricky, Roy, Cedric, Derrick Johnson, Blalock . . . Players of Bijan’s caliber don’t stay for all four years anymore like they used to, not at any program.

3 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Would be nice, but seems like those days are over. We had a run of incredibly good luck in keeping star players for their senior years in the early Mack tenure. Ricky, Roy, Cedric, Derrick Johnson, Blalock . . . Players of Bijan’s caliber don’t stay for all four years anymore like they used to, not at any program.

Sadly that's true in most cases nowadays. However, since he's already making decent money with endorsement deals, maybe Sark could convince him to stay. I'm just hoping he does. Also, RoJo technically still has one year of eligibility left due to the covid year. 

Edited by Longboard Horn
Added RoJo

Isu dink and dunk can be lethal vs PKs desire to play loose coverage. Their offensive line doesn’t have the bodies to match up against us but if we play off coverage they can neutralize our pass rush with the short passing game, eating us up with long drives. Ok needs to adjust to a plan that anticipates this, we’ll see….

On the other side, their defense has a good coordinator and they have developed their players in their scheme, that’s their biggest advantage. They can get to a bunch of different looks all from the same pre snap alignment which could challenge ewers. Whether their pass rush can get to us is another question, maybe on the inside, but I think our tackles will hold up and dominate the edges.

If their defense can make it an ugly game, then their dink and dunk style can produce long drives and cause this to be uncomfortably close. If our offense can blow the top on that defense, then this should be a blow out. Should be fun.

I thought this video was a good breakdown:

12 hours ago, Texasrocks said:

That's why I mentioned it - it's the only instance I could think of where the offense played better in the second half. Texas had two fumbles and a pick six in the first half. Not punching yourself in the dick isn't really a strong indicator that you've figured things out though. It just means you stopped punching yourself in the dick.

I think it is more Quinn gets comfortable later, than some great coaching move. I think the farther you get into game, the more it is about players. I think ISU has the potential to confuse Quinn early. They do a great job of disguising coverages. This is going to be a test for him. It would not surprise me to see him struggle at some point in this game an finally settle in later. 

15 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I think it is more Quinn gets comfortable later, than some great coaching move. I think the farther you get into game, the more it is about players. I think ISU has the potential to confuse Quinn early. They do a great job of disguising coverages. This is going to be a test for him. It would not surprise me to see him struggle at some point in this game an finally settle in later. 

Respectfully disagree that it will take time.  We have been salty running our scripted plays.  I expect that to continue, but we'll know mid- second quarter.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, cochamps said:

Respectfully disagree that it will take time.  We have been salty running our scripted plays.  I expect that to continue, but we'll know mid- second quarter.

That could be true, but there is that period on the scripts to the 3Q. Though I have not seen Sark's scripts do a ton of damage vs anyone that runs this defense well. I hope I am wrong and we dont see an ugly game. 

I just don’t see this defense magic everyone speaks of for Iowa State.  Baylor scored 31 on them and they don’t have anything close to the playmakers of Texas.

Sark will use motion to exploit one on one matchups for Worthy, B Robinson, Sanders, and Whittington.  He will then use those players to create open area for R Johnson, K Robinson, and my guess Billingsly.  Iowa State has seen nothing like this.  Just my thoughts 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

Isu dink and dunk can be lethal vs PKs desire to play loose coverage. Their offensive line doesn’t have the bodies to match up against us but if we play off coverage they can neutralize our pass rush with the short passing game, eating us up with long drives. Ok needs to adjust to a plan that anticipates this, we’ll see….

I don't think you are looking at this like you should.

Baylor, Kansas and Kansas State all shut down that offense by doing exactly what PK likes to do. If you force them repeatedly into 3rd and medium/long, they will fold. Iowa State does not have the horses at QB, WR, TE or RB to continually sustain long drives. Skill position wise, this is the 2nd worst offense we will face this season behind ULM.

Edited by Hookem2147

Few team notes from IT:

Spoiler

Those common themes would be focus, intensity, a good week of practice, and of course, revenge.

On Thursday, Steve Sarkisian touched on the revenge factor after beating only Texas Tech, TCU, and Kansas State in conference last year. He gave a typically good Sark answer.

“I felt like last season, we let a lot of games slip away. When you go through it that way, you can hear a lot of the negativity that comes with that. What’s wrong? Why can’t they finish? What happens in the second half? The players aren’t in good condition. The players aren’t strong enough. The coaches don’t make adjustments, right? They hear all that stuff. You have to find a way to flip that script and get it to where, what are we doing about it, how are we going about it, and what’s our mission? Inevitably, there’s a lot of these games we’re going back into the play these same teams. There’s gotta be a little bit of a sense of revenge, and not so much revenge on the opponent. Revenge on our own actions of how we performed in those moments in those games to ultimately go finish those ballgames.”

Steve Sarkisian

(He could probably swap the word ‘negativity’ with ‘observations’. The negativity was the result of negative outcomes, the observations just fell in line with the results. Common themes from last year appear to be a thing of the past and Sark and his staff deserve a ton of credit, as do the players.)

This team is definitely locked in. IT joked with a source about how good things are right now compared to seasons past. There’s no drama, no discussion of replacing coaches, no transfer talk. Things are so good right now even the players with NFL futures don’t care about anything but the season.

Sark has this team bought in. It might not be five-star culture yet, but four-and-a-half-star culture will work with this level of talent.

It was yet another good week of practice. Tuesday was described as being physical and intense. There weren’t a lot of ‘good on good’ plays but they were spirited.

Overall we’ve heard preparation for Iowa State has been good. “There’s a lot to prepare for with them, but the team is way more ready than last year. It’s a game where you have to communicate well and they’ve done that this year.”

On offense there’s a lot of confidence in the game plan despite having a ton of respect for Iowa State’s defense. It was belabored they need to do a good job on 1st and 2nd down to stay ahead of the sticks. But even though Iowa State floods the field with coverage Texas will still take shots when they’re presented. Adrian Martinez passed for 245 yards on them last week.

When you hear physical practice you have to feel a little sorry for the scout team. That got us wanting to check in to see which members of scout are giving the corresponding sides of the ball good looks. Names that were mentioned were Maalik Murphy, Jaden Alexis, and Gus Asel. “Murphy has made some big-time throws.” On defense we’ve heard about B.J. Allen and Larry Turner-Gooden. Ethan Burke has also made plays when on scout team.

We’ll finish with Jahleel Billingsley. The tight end’s NCAA suspension was lifted this past week and he resumed practicing with the ones and twos after previously being on scout team. It’s unknown how many snaps he’ll get on Saturday, but we do know there are plays designed to take advantage of his hybrid, athletic ability. This would probably be a good week for him to get targets, but we’re not sure how quickly Sark will get him back out on the field.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, ApocalypseTexas said:

I just don’t see this defense magic everyone speaks of for Iowa State.  Baylor scored 31 on them and they don’t have anything close to the playmakers of Texas.

Sark will use motion to exploit one on one matchups for Worthy, B Robinson, Sanders, and Whittington.  He will then use those players to create open area for R Johnson, K Robinson, and my guess Billingsly.  Iowa State has seen nothing like this.  Just my thoughts 

their defense is absolutely good, #13 in F+ rankings

they are #2 nationally in defensive explosiveness, they stop big plays

14 nationally in points per drive, even better if they are drives inside the opponents 40. very explosive (see prior tweet)

more data but this is 12 only i think? spoilering

Spoiler

and

7 minutes ago, jw4381 said:

Calculating Figure It Out GIF

basically, they are absolutely a good defense based on all the advanced stats out there

they don't give up many points per drive (14 in country), and are very very good if drives start inside the opponents 40 (5th in the country)

they are super explosive based on EPA and defense (2nd in country overall) - they don't give up many long plays. they are #22 in the country in yards given up per play, but that is built on how good they are on not giving up those longer (7+ and 10+ yard plays)

all of this to say, Texas should win this game. FEI's projection is 30.3 to 17.4.

• Hook 'Em 1