Texas opens as a 15 point favorite v Iowa State

TexasMan

Interesting. Was expecting something closer to 10. 

Iowa State might have the best defense in the conference but they’ve taken some big steps back on offense. I’ll be interested to see if Sark can generate consistent offense against the 3 safety drop 8 look. ISU murdered us last year with that defense.

In the 2nd half. Another part of the string where we led at HT.

Hook’em!

7 hours ago, fellside said:

This is the most talented offense we've had since 2008.  There are at least 5 future day 1 or day 2 draft picks starting right now.  I think I saw that the offense is 1st in the country in yards per play when Ewers is in. 

So I do not give any shits about Iowa State holding Kansas schools below 20.

This offense is significantly more talented than 2008 overall. 08's WR room with Shipley and Quan, and obviously QB with Colt could hang (I would take '08 McCoy over Ewers at this juncture, but the fact that it even needs to be clarified...), but at OL, RB, and TE this team is ahead by a lot.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, runthebone said:

Some of you forgot how to be arrogant when you have a fucking stud at QB.

It's been a while.  People are out of practice.

15 hours ago, gmr548 said:

This offense is significantly more talented than 2008 overall. 08's WR room with Shipley and Quan, and obviously QB with Colt could hang (I would take '08 McCoy over Ewers at this juncture, but the fact that it even needs to be clarified...), but at OL, RB, and TE this team is ahead by a lot.

ClutteredSparseHerculesbeetle-size_restr

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

I think lack of faith in Iowa State's offense is a driving factor

Yep, our implied score has essentially stayed the same (dropped one point), while ISU's has dropped by about five points

17 hours ago, gmr548 said:

significantly may be a strong word, but I agree it's better, & now we have an OC who will actually use that talent well. 

58 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

OU tried the drop 8 against Texas this past weekend. Ewers, Whittington, and Sanders destroyed it. Those 3 guys didn't play against ISU last year. Good luck ISU. Oh yeah, we are also getting Billingsley back.

What kind of TE is JB?  I assume those two passes to Helm, will now go to JB, and if he has some kick to him, we may could have got a few more YAC

23 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

What kind of TE is JB?  I assume those two passes to Helm, will now go to JB, and if he has some kick to him, we may could have got a few more YAC

He averaged over 15 yards per catch with 6 TDs on 37 total catches at Bama. He's a potential game changer.

1 minute ago, HtownHorn said:

He averaged over 15 yards per catch with 6 TDs on 37 total catches at Bama. He's a potential game changer.

Yep, he had a down year last year thanks to butt chin but absolutely crushed it in Sarks offense. This raises our floor once again. Oh what could’ve been with Neyor also.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

OU tried the drop 8 against Texas this past weekend. Ewers, Whittington, and Sanders destroyed it. Those 3 guys didn't play against ISU last year. Good luck ISU. Oh yeah, we are also getting Billingsley back.

I will say when we got to 3rd and long and there was no threat of the run, we didn't look amazing against it.

On 10/10/2022 at 2:00 PM, HtownHorn said:

ISU has been living in that defense for years now. I don't think it's comparable to OU using it in an emergency with some DBs out

ISU's DBs will be assignment sound and will tackle 

On 10/10/2022 at 3:00 PM, jdhorn92 said:

He's a big WR.  Just an all-around great athlete with terrific hands.  One issue he has had has been motivation - kid can get lazy apparently.  Saban very publicly called him out for it in a press conference.  But if he is dialed in he is one of the best pass-catching TE's in the country.  Big time weapon for the second-half of the season.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

2 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

He's a big WR.  Just an all-around great athlete with terrific hands.  One issue he has had has been motivation - kid can get lazy apparently.  Saban very publicly called him out for it in a press conference.  But if he is dialed in he is one of the best pass-catching TE's in the country.  Big time weapon for the second-half of the season.  

He was a surprisingly (at least relative to what some people have said) good blocker. BOB used him everywhere; blocking in-line on DEs, from a flanked position blocking down, from an HB or FB spot, flexed, out wide... and generally he blocked adequately 

The question is, how big is he? I believe he was listed earlier this year at 218, which is smaller than expected. Did he lean up to become more explosive? Is he the same size and the listed weight isn't accurate? 

In the receiving game, he has inconsistent hands and isn't great at getting open in the short and medium, but he's good at bursting off the LOS and getting open down the field. I wouldn't feel great about relying on him to move the chains due to his struggles to get open on shorter routes and inconsistent hands, but he's a nice potential option for big plays, imo 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/9/2022 at 12:38 PM, Huckleberry said:

21-6 is still 15 points.

Sounds funny but my model has it at an average score of 22-4 Texas with an 87% Texas win probability. Iowa State's defense is very very good and their offense is very very bad. Of course in a game like that turnovers and mistakes can make a huge difference (see Alabama last night) so we still need to play well.

No way we give up 2 safeties.

• Hook 'Em 2

56 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Oooh I like that

54 minutes ago, Fud said:

He was a surprisingly (at least relative to what some people have said) good blocker. BOB used him everywhere; blocking in-line on DEs, from a flanked position blocking down, from an HB or FB spot, flexed, out wide... and generally he blocked adequately 

The question is, how big is he? I believe he was listed earlier this year at 218, which is smaller than expected. Did he lean up to become more explosive? Is he the same size and the listed weight isn't accurate? 

In the receiving game, he has inconsistent hands and isn't great at getting open in the short and medium, but he's good at bursting off the LOS and getting open down the field. I wouldn't feel great about relying on him to move the chains due to his struggles to get open on shorter routes and inconsistent hands, but he's a nice potential option for big plays, imo 

Is he a decent enough blocker to be used as a FB in some sort of offset design?

Put him, JT, Rojo, Bijan, and Worthy in a power look and then begin the motion. Or sub off Rojo for Whit…

On 10/10/2022 at 2:17 PM, hook me said:

significantly may be a strong word, but I agree it's better, & now we have an OC who will actually use that talent well. 

The collective offensive talent on the field as good as any that has ever graced the 40 acres. 

Ewers, Bijan, Whittington, Sanders & Banks (the 5* guys) w/ a side of Roschon, Worthy, & Robinson #2, and a few things that haven't finished marinating yet yet. 

The imagination and play calling of the offense for an entire game is off the charts compared to anything else that has been here.

The combination of those has yet to fully mature.  Remember, Colt had been throwing to Shipley for 10 years.

Quinn's only had 1st team reps for a few months. A lot of the "OU playbook" was under wraps until last week.  There is no substitute for reps between the QB and receivers. Bijan; "...he ain't going to throw it...get open, man ... here it comes...catch it", or Whittington's enthusiasm when talking about QE's calm demeanor and confidence. There will come a time when their response will be  "...oh, ...yeah... he does that all the time!"

It reminds me of when a reporter watched a Troy Aikman-Dallas Cowboy practice and reflected that he didn't remember a pass ever hitting the ground, and a staffer replied "that happens a lot".  Wait 'til Ewers has had hundreds of reps w/ all the receivers. 

Quinn Ewers has played in parts of 3 games. Big arm. Unreal ball placement. Anticipation. Awareness.  "You got a gift. When you were a baby, the Gods reached down and turned your right arm into a thunderbolt."

Ewers is young and has some lessons to learn.  Other good coaches that watch game film. LB's and DL that are faster than he is.  DB's that have the same awareness and anticipation. 

"You take good care of this boy of yours Mister Sarkisian, because if you drop him, you'll not find another like him."

12 hours ago, TexasRenegade said:

We were 10-12 on 3rd down when we were actually throwing the ball....

Jeff Goldblum What GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

Incomplete pass on 3rd down on the first drive.

Incomplete pass on 3rd down on the third drive.

Interception on 3rd down in the 3rd quarter.

I'm picking nits here. Offense is amazing. Just saying on some obvious passing downs, there were some plays that weren't pretty.

7 minutes ago, fellside said:

Incomplete pass on 3rd down on the first drive.

Incomplete pass on 3rd down on the third drive.

Interception on 3rd down in the 3rd quarter.

I'm picking nits here. Offense is amazing. Just saying on some obvious passing downs, there were some plays that weren't pretty.

Nevermind. The first one was complete but a bad check down short of the first down.