Game Week - Oklahoma State

Eggo

19 hours ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

also their stadium should be razed because the safety hazard of the brick walls.  Why the hell don't they install 3 foot cushion padding? Someone is going to break their neck.  Why can't Tboone make a $1billion stadium? WTF is wrong with the state of OK? Too much meth? 

LOL someone brings this up like clockwork every year. 

(A) Yes, the walls are padded

(B) I've seen maybe 1 player actually injured by the wall in ~25 years of watching games there, and it was because of a personal foul (someone shoved someone when they were already a few feet out of bounds

If it was some big issue, dudes would be dropping like flies all the time.  Players are far more likely to just blow out an ACL running down the field than injuring themselves by sliding into a padded wall on the sideline.

Edited by oSuJeff97

Few team notes from IT:

We hate discussing injuries but that’s obviously an important theme after Saturday’s game, particularly in the secondary. Both starting cornerback Ryan Watts and starting safety Jerrin Thompson had issues Steve Sarkisian described as stinger-related after the game. They might not have been stingers because the pain didn’t dissipate like it normally does with a stinger, but like a stinger, these aren’t viewed as serious injuries. They’ll receive treatment this week and should be good to go on Saturday. Of course we’ll keep monitoring both throughout the week.

Thompson had his worst game of they year and you can bet the shoulder issue had something to do with it, but the secondary was just off in general. 

Two other big stories from the secondary surrounded the availability of starting safety Anthony Cook and backup cornerback Jamier Johnson. Our sources believe Cook was benched for an assignment bust before returning to the game to force the game deciding turnover on a pretty vicious hit. That reminded me of asking a source last spring if Cook would hold up against the run at the position. We were told “he has heart” and I think the forced fumble coming downhill 100 miles per hour illustrated that. 

Johnson is a bit more of a mystery. We hear he’s healthy. If that’s the case, then playing Austin Jordan would appear to be a coaching decision. 

Sark told the team many of the things he stated after the game and will probably reiterate today during his press conference. He was proud of their effort and proud of their ability to close that game out. “That wouldn’t have happened last year.” He also mentioned it’s hard to come back the next week after an emotional game. The start to Iowa State was reminiscent of the start to the UTSA game after playing Alabama. 

Someone will probably say, yeah, but OU sucks. Truer words…but they didn’t prepare or get up for that game like OU sucks.

Sources freely admitted the defense has a lot to clean up, however they view the issues as “simple fixes.” “That was the worst communication has been all year.” Sources also viewed the issues more with player execution than game plan. I pushed back on that a little and asked if some opponents receive more unique attention and custom game plans than others and the source said that isn’t the case. 

Hopefully after this Saturday against a dangerous Oklahoma State some fans find that even harder to believe.

• Rage+1 1

15 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

(B) I've seen maybe 1 player actually injured by the wall in ~25 years of watching games there, and it was because of a personal foul (someone shoved someone when they were already a few feet out of bounds

If it was some big issue, dudes would be dropping like flies all the time.  Players are far more likely to just blow out an ACL running down the field than injuring themselves by sliding into a padded wall on the sideline.

Raze the stadium because of this then 

16 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

if we see brick anywhere, it's a problem because the walls are too close.  Just tear it all down, build a modern stadium, and that goes for OU as well. Tax the meth sales if you have to. 

29 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Firing Gundy would be the worst possible decision that program will have ever made.  See, e.g., Texas Tech cir. 2009.

Gundy has them consistently reaching their potential which is being a good team not great.

• Like 1

We'll see. Those fuckers are 6-0, but hard to tell how good that is because the Big XII is down this year and they've played some awful defenses.

I think you have to give it a few years. TCU fields a defense that is at least competitive right now. Late Patterson TCU had its issues, but evaluating and developing defensive talent, especially on the back end, was not one of them. Steady stream of TCU defenders being drafted in recent years, many in early rounds.

Not dissimilar to Todd Orlando looking really good with a bunch of NFL defensive players Charlie Strong brought in. By the time most of them were gone in 2019, ass my dude.

I could see the same thing happening at TCU and just becoming a one dimensional team as Dykes settles in.

I also don’t know that I’d call the Big 12 down. The ceiling is down, there’s no top 5 team here. Maybe not even a top 10. But the bottom is way up. No one in the B1G or SEC is playing nine top 50 teams in conference. Not even close. In that sense, it’s by far the toughest conference.
  • Hook 'Em 4

Yeah there's a reason that I don't ever visit or post on OSU message boards.
Honestly there is a section of our fan base - mostly younger - who are spoiled as fuck and don't realize how good we have it right now; not just for us, but for ANYONE. 
I've said time and time again that the level of sustained success that Gundy has reached during his tenure is exceedingly difficult for anyone including blue bloods; the fact that he's done this at a historically bad program that plays second fiddle to an elite program in a small state is incredible:
  • 16 straight winning seasons
  • 7 of the past 12 seasons with 10+ wins
  • 2x Fiesta Bowl champs; 2-2 overall in NY6 bowls
  • 10-5 overall record in bowl games
Any OSU fan who thinks Gundy needs to go is a stupid dumb fuck who has no concept of what goes on in college football as a whole.

Tell the big 12 and fox to boot us and OUsux in 2024. You’re about to be the crème de la crème of the big 12 with an expanded playoff. You could be in the cfp every other year with Gundy. That’s a really nice position to be in. Firing Gundy would make y’all look like major assholes; even worse than must of us Surly posters.

Both of these teams can be bi polar as hell. You don't know what you will get from one half to the next. Sometimes in the middle of the halves they will go batshit crazy.

That said, I expect Gundy to throw the whole damn kitchen and breakfast nook at us. I'm trying to figure out how Sark handles these games.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Watching Gundy's presser and that dude has the media on puppet strings up there. Talks down to them, tells them to not ask him questions about injuries, talks back when someone ask a good question. 

He went on a rant about how they are super young on defense. I look it up and all 11 starters are upperclassmen, including 7 seniors.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Question - anyone have any clue why the line for this game has moved so much? From what I’ve seen, we opened as three point favorites or so (-3.5). Right now the line is sitting at Texas -6.5. Doesn’t seem like anything on our team’s side caused this, and I can’t imagine that enough $$$ has come in for UT to swing the line another fg. Is there some news on the ok st’s end that I’ve missed?

Question - anyone have any clue why the line for this game has moved so much? From what I’ve seen, we opened as three point favorites or so (-3.5). Right now the line is sitting at Texas -6.5. Doesn’t seem like anything on our team’s side caused this, and I can’t imagine that enough $$$ has come in for UT to swing the line another fg. Is there some news on the ok st’s end that I’ve missed?
Usually heavy betting on one side, so Vegas will start widening that spread to try to get even betting.

1 hour ago, Brothahorn said:

Both of these teams can be bi polar as hell. You don't know what you will get from one half to the next. Sometimes in the middle of the halves they will go batshit crazy.

That said, I expect Gundy to throw the whole damn kitchen and breakfast nook at us. I'm trying to figure out how Sark handles these games.

There WILL be at least one trick play, maybe two…maybe a fake punt/field goal…Gundy is a perennially pissed off human bean!

2 hours ago, Brothahorn said:

It's sort of interesting that this perception is still out there.  This may describe Gundy from about 2005 to maybe 2012 or so, but not now; not even close.

We may run 1-2 "trick" plays per game, and I'm not even sure how much I could call them "tricks"... it's usually just like some variant of a flea flicker or something... I couldn't tell you the last time we faked a field goal or punt... it's been maybe 10 years or so.

We rarely ever go for it on 4th down, unless it's a completely obvious situation.  Hell on Saturday against TCU we 100% should have gone for two in that first OT to go for the win and Gundy still kicked it, even though Sanders was banged up and the defense was gassed.

Basically he's gotten SUPER conservative over the past 5 years or so, thus I wouldn't expect any "kitchen sink" type stuff.

• Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, vtaenz said:
1 hour ago, NYCHORN2013 said:

Usually heavy betting on one side, so Vegas will start widening that spread to try to get even betting.

Yea I get that, three points in 1-2 games is crazy though. Did some Twitter investigation and it sounds like sanders isn’t practicing this week, as of now. Gundy answered a q about it, and it seems like this isn’t the first time that’s happened and he ended up playing. But Vegas seems to be expecting him to be out. All speculation obviously 

7 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Watching Gundy's presser and that dude has the media on puppet strings up there. Talks down to them, tells them to not ask him questions about injuries, talks back when someone ask a good question. 

He went on a rant about how they are super young on defense. I look it up and all 11 starters are upperclassmen, including 7 seniors.

Tar Heels Football GIF by Withyoursquad

It was an illegal kick.

In the Karate Kid universe, underage competitors were permitted to kick each other in the face, as was explained by his girl Ali giving Daniel a crash course in the rules seconds before his first bout “Everything above your waist is a point. You can hit the head, sternum, kidneys, ribs."

Also you’ve got to remember that Johnny sprinted face first into crane kick. Not dissimilar to Hunter Dekkers as a ball carrier lowering his head before getting hit by Cook.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

In the Karate Kid universe, underage competitors were permitted to kick each other in the face, as was explained by his girl Ali giving Daniel a crash course in the rules seconds before his first bout “Everything above your waist is a point. You can hit the head, sternum, kidneys, ribs."

Also you’ve got to remember that Johnny sprinted face first into crane kick. Not dissimilar to Hunter Dekkers as a ball carrier lowering his head before getting hit by Cook.

Well... since this came up in discussion.  Around the 2:25 mark, Johnny punches Daniel in the face.  I never understood why that wasn't the 5th and winning point when later Daniel kicks Johnny in the face and it counts.  Two successful strikes to the head, but only Daniel's was counted.  Make it make sense. 

Also, watching that scene, even without seeing the rest of the movie still gave me the feels.  God, I love that movie. 

Edited by RabidM
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1