Game Week - Oklahoma State

Eggo

Yea I get that, three points in 1-2 games is crazy though. Did some Twitter investigation and it sounds like sanders isn’t practicing this week, as of now. Gundy answered a q about it, and it seems like this isn’t the first time that’s happened and he ended up playing. But Vegas seems to be expecting him to be out. All speculation obviously 

So who is okielite's backup qb, does he wear knee braces, and how "heisman-worthy" will his performance be against us?
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 3

If this isn't posted on every longhorn locker then our coaching staff isn't worth the orange piss in that stoolwater fountain.

6 hours ago, ousux said:
16 hours ago, F250 said:
Okie State should be aggy's goal. Little brother schools need to be comfortable with their place in the pecking order.

Exception is Okie lite. I'd love for them to rub blowU's nose in their own shit every year from here to eternity

Well, at least for the next couple years. Bedlam won't exist anymore after OU goes over to the SEC with us. 

13 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

Just came here to say that Spencer Sanders ain't that good. Don't understand why he's put on a pedestal. He looks good against inferior and weaker opponents. 

"I never understood why players would want to go and stack up, like Texas," Bradshaw said. "One year, they signed three [five-star] quarterbacks. Two are now gone, and one is playing, and he ain't that good."

9 hours ago, RabidM said:

Well... since this came up in discussion.  Around the 2:25 mark, Johnny punches Daniel in the face.  I never understood why that wasn't the 5th and winning point when later Daniel kicks Johnny in the face and it counts.  Two successful strikes to the head, but only Daniel's was counted.  Make it make sense. 

Also, watching that scene, even without seeing the rest of the movie still gave me the feels.  God, I love that movie. 

Ha - you made me curious. I found this in a Reddit link 

“I was competing in point karate tournaments during the '80s and the rules in the movie were a pretty accurate (though simplified) version of reality.  Head kicks were legal (straight or roundhouse makes no difference) and punches to the head were categorically illegal.  There's really no good reason for the referee in the Johnny/Daniel fight to have called Johnny's clearly illegal face punch a "clash" - the ref should have penalized or disqualified him.

The head kick rule was actually to encourage more difficult, spectacular and crowd-pleasing techniques such as high kicks while distinguishing point karate as a sport from kickboxing in which the fighters wore gloves and were allowed to punch to the head/face.  Kickboxing matches often devolved into simple boxing contests, partly because punching is a lot easier and less energy consuming and partly because kickboxing itself was a pretty new sport that attracted fighters who had been boxing since childhood.

That led to new rules such as mandating a minimum number of kicks per round, which in turn led to fighters throwing their kicks (oftentimes pretty sloppy) early in the round and then just boxing.

Point karate avoided that problem (partly) by the simple expedient of not allowing face punches at all, though as with any combat sport rule-set, fighters still gamed the rules.  At the height of the type of point-fighting shown in KK1, it was pretty common for fighters to compete almost more like fencers, trusting much more on athleticism and explosive speed within a very limited technical repertoire.  Late-'80s point fights often just resolved into who was fastest/luckiest at throwing a lead-leg side kick.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, ousux said:
On 10/17/2022 at 8:31 AM, LTtxfan said:

If this isn't posted on every longhorn locker then our coaching staff isn't worth the orange piss in that stoolwater fountain.

I hope our coaching staff is focused on other things. Bulletin board material is for losers.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Dumb question, but any particular reason our net field position has been so poor all year? Does it have to do with the lack of 3 and outs so teams are either driving down the field or pinning us on our own end after a few first downs?

Texas is 95th in net punting this year. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Banks made The Athletic's midseason Freshman All American Team

OL Kelvin Banks Jr., Texas: The Longhorns absolutely needed Banks and managed to flip the five-star away from Oregon before signing day and keep him close to home. The true freshman establishing himself as a trusted starter at left tackle has been critical for their offensive growth and success. Even better, Banks has been one of the Big 12’s best pass protectors over his first seven starts in allowing one sack on 442 snaps, according to Pro Football Focus.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I havent looked into it, just knew that Texas is not punting well. It is at a minimum a factor in the poor net field position. 

For Trejo to have 2 punts less than 40 yards when he had the wind going with him was no bueno.

We are going to need to have some tough scholarship management decision in the offseason regarding special teams. We have scholarships currently allocated for a backup deep snapper, backup punter and backup kicker.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

For Trejo to have 2 punts less than 40 yards when he had the wind going with him was no bueno.
We are going to need to have some tough scholarship management decision in the offseason regarding special teams. We have scholarships currently allocated for a backup deep snapper, backup punter and backup kicker.

The weird part with Trejo is he seems to punt the ball well on traditional punts but when he does the quick rugby punt it doesn’t go anywhere.

16 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Have we taught Pearson how to catch a football yet? The few times I've seen him in practice he has a huge leg. 

I was surprised they pulled the plug on him after one punt. I guess he had the dropped field goal hold too but just seemed like a quick trigger because you are right he does have a big leg.

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Here's our game

This matches what I thought I saw during the game. It wasn't our zone defense that was the primary problem. It was busted man coverage. Iowa state average 17.2 yards per completion against man coverage, at a 78% completion rate. Against our zone coverage, those numbers dropped to 10.2 yards and 64%. Iowa State used a lot of man beaters and we played man quite a bit. We just didn't do it well at all. Also, against third and 7+, Iowa State had a jaw dropping 12.1 yards per play. That's insane. 

• Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

I hope our coaching staff is focused on other things. Bulletin board material is for losers.

I don't know if this is necessarily your point but I always see people say bulletin board material doesn't help.  To a certain extent I understand but I think there's more to it.  In the heat of the game I agree that bulletin board material has minimal impact in terms of motivating performance.

However, I do think it can have a meaningful impact on game prep.  I could certainly see it motivating some guys to do some extra film study, spend extra time in the weight room, and practice with some additional focus and intensity, all of which can benefit gameday performance.

So while I agree it may not impact by way of motivation during the game I do think it can benefit during the game by way of better game week prep.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, hornbri said:

Ha - you made me curious. I found this in a Reddit link 

“I was competing in point karate tournaments during the '80s and the rules in the movie were a pretty accurate (though simplified) version of reality.  Head kicks were legal (straight or roundhouse makes no difference) and punches to the head were categorically illegal.  There's really no good reason for the referee in the Johnny/Daniel fight to have called Johnny's clearly illegal face punch a "clash" - the ref should have penalized or disqualified him.

The head kick rule was actually to encourage more difficult, spectacular and crowd-pleasing techniques such as high kicks while distinguishing point karate as a sport from kickboxing in which the fighters wore gloves and were allowed to punch to the head/face.  Kickboxing matches often devolved into simple boxing contests, partly because punching is a lot easier and less energy consuming and partly because kickboxing itself was a pretty new sport that attracted fighters who had been boxing since childhood.

That led to new rules such as mandating a minimum number of kicks per round, which in turn led to fighters throwing their kicks (oftentimes pretty sloppy) early in the round and then just boxing.

Point karate avoided that problem (partly) by the simple expedient of not allowing face punches at all, though as with any combat sport rule-set, fighters still gamed the rules.  At the height of the type of point-fighting shown in KK1, it was pretty common for fighters to compete almost more like fencers, trusting much more on athleticism and explosive speed within a very limited technical repertoire.  Late-'80s point fights often just resolved into who was fastest/luckiest at throwing a lead-leg side kick.

I forget the comedian, but someone joked that only two kinds of people practice martial arts - Asians and psychopaths.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Eggo said:

"I never understood why players would want to go and stack up, like Texas," Bradshaw said. "One year, they signed three [five-star] quarterbacks. Two are now gone, and one is playing, and he ain't that good."

Hmmm…what year was that? Simms, VY, Gilbert, and Ewers (though he was a transfer) are the only 5* QBs I can recall signing with Texas. That’s 4 in a 20+ years span. For 20 years it seems like everyone feels the need to exaggerate/pretend that every player Texas signs is a 5* recruit. 

13 hours ago, RabidM said:

Well... since this came up in discussion.  Around the 2:25 mark, Johnny punches Daniel in the face.  I never understood why that wasn't the 5th and winning point when later Daniel kicks Johnny in the face and it counts.  Two successful strikes to the head, but only Daniel's was counted.  Make it make sense. 

Also, watching that scene, even without seeing the rest of the movie still gave me the feels.  God, I love that movie. 

Didn't Johnny lose one of those points for attacking the knee?

Steve Sarkisian is 13-27 on the road in his career as a head coach. Take out 0-5 for his first year at UW and he's 13-22. No matter how you slice it, that history of performance is uglier than most Surly posters' prom dates. Just hideous. 

Here's hoping Ewers being healthy helps the shift towards the positive starting this weekend.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Steve Sarkisian is 13-27 on the road in his career as a head coach. Take out 0-5 for his first year at UW and he's 13-22. No matter how you slice it, that history of performance is uglier than most Surly posters' prom dates. Just hideous. 

Here's hoping Ewers being healthy helps the shift towards the positive starting this weekend.

getting ahead of this, he is 1-5 at Texas (not including RRS)

2 minutes ago, Chili dog said:

I want to look at his record while (presumably) sober, but it’s not great, either. Let’s go with his record while sober and with Ewers. 

Let's look at his record while sober and with Ewers and us not playing like shit. 

• Haha 4

58 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

While this is true, if you only count the games he won, he's 13-0. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I see this game as more than just a test on Sark’s ability to win on the road. 

I see it as potentially a great indicator about his long-term success at Texas. He’s had a year and a half with his system in the Big 12, a key addition to the defensive coaching staff, roster turnover of 40%+, and a great recruiting class that has some experience.

Texas should be able to beat this OSU team. They are good but not great. They have a good, not great, running QB. They have a defense that was bad but is improving. Texas should win. If they don’t, it raises even bigger questions about him, especially if they get blown out.

• Hook 'Em 2