Texas opens as a 1 point favorite @ Oklahoma State

TexasMan

28 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Seems like a pretty good argument against him playing if his arm is basically falling off at this point.

If football players were always rationale and playing the long game....yea I guess.  But I wouldn't expect rationale thoughts like, "not making the league so might as well protect my body/health"   If that was the thought process a lot of injured and maybe even not injured upperclassmen would walk away.

Just now, Surly Bevo said:

If football players were always rationale and playing the long game....yea I guess.  But I wouldn't expect rationale thoughts like, "not making the league so might as well protect my body/health"   If that was the thought process a lot of injured and maybe even not injured upperclassmen would walk away.

*rational

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Surly Bevo said:

I had a rationale for being not being rational.  It's called I misspelled the fucking word.

When people do that to me, I also immediately get irritated and then back off because it is a troll job. I'd always wanted to do it and see if it could work on someone besides @SydneyCarton and @Wulaw Horn  because they always just blame autocorrect or holding a baby or being wildly drunk. Seeing your reaction, I must say that it is a bizarrely amusing minor troll tactic that I might have to deploy elsewhere in the future. 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

When people do that to me, I also immediately get irritated and then back off because it is a troll job. I'd always wanted to do it and see if it could work on someone besides @SydneyCarton and @Wulaw Horn  because they always just blame autocorrect or holding a baby or being wildly drunk. Seeing your reaction, I must say that it is a bizarrely amusing minor troll tactic that I might have to deploy elsewhere in the future. 

That’s hysterical bc I literally read your post and thought- wtf- that’s not particularly like him to go douchbag pedant with spelling or the like. Ha. It was merely a troll. Love it. 

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

democratic party GIF

3 hours ago, burdine said:

The next 3 games probably define our season (OSU, KSU, TCU).  If we go 2-1 in those then we just have to beat an improved but injured Kansas and Baylor in Austin to go 9-3.

We are very close to being dominant on offense - need a more experienced OL and a QB with more than 3 starts I think.

Defense is much improved but can't really be counted on to win games though Cook sort of did just that last Saturday.

The most hopeful thing I have seen this season is the way the offense ended that ISU game by physically imposing their will on the best defense in the conference.  That was a thing of beauty.

Hook'em!

The offense having a meh day but not giving two fucks and running it down Iowa st’s throat on the game winning drive was huge for them. They’re playing with an obvious edge to their game and I think it continues to grow this week against okie st. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

29 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

If football players were always rationale and playing the long game....yea I guess.  But I wouldn't expect rationale thoughts like, "my draft status in Mel Kiper’s draft board is 40ish so I need to play hurt in order to improve it between 10-14”

FIFY, and agreed it’s probably pretty ridiculous to think the decision to play a player is based on his current draft status.

Their coaches will decide who starts based on who gives them the best chance to win.

5 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

That was by far the best overall performance our offensive line has had this year given the competition. Somewhat disappointing that we couldn't convert that to more points. Next year our line may be best in conference best on their trajectory. Hell, at least as far as pass blocking goes, they may already be there. 

I'm just going to hope that the back end of the defense was rusty from dominating an OU team that couldn't throw a forward pass. We haven't looked that assignment unsound all year. Sure, Tech scored points, but that was all steady grind it out stuff, not blown assignments resulting in easy and quick scores. Hopefully ISU was a one off for what has been an improved defense. 

Death by a thousand cuts is still death. Bend is fine, but the breaking on some of the drives, and particularly 3rd down stops was brutal. They have to get better on that down.  Down and distance wasn't a factor, because they picked up 3rd and short, medium, or long going in either direction. If they can find a way to make 2 more stops a game, we should be able to keep winning.

2 hours ago, DoneWithit said:

The offense having a meh day but not giving two fucks and running it down Iowa st’s throat on the game winning drive was huge for them. They’re playing with an obvious edge to their game and I think it continues to grow this week against okie st. 

I hope you're right and this is a statement game for the D and Texas. OSU will be tough and I'd like to see a complete game on both sides of the ball. 🤘

17 minutes ago, Droopy said:

Death by a thousand cuts is still death. Bend is fine, but the breaking on some of the drives, and particularly 3rd down stops was brutal. They have to get better on that down.  Down and distance wasn't a factor, because they picked up 3rd and short, medium, or long going in either direction. If they can find a way to make 2 more stops a game, we should be able to keep winning.

I don't disagree. I'm just saying the problems in the Tech game were different from the problems against ISU. Against Tech, we kept giving up long sustained drives, primarily driven by our failure to get stops on 4th down. Our defense was executing the plan up until 4th down. It sucked, but it wasn't the result of a complete failures in coverage. Against ISU, we suffered blown assignment after blown assignment. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Dahobbs said:

I don't disagree. I'm just saying the problems in the Tech game were different from the problems against ISU. Against Tech, we kept giving up long sustained drives, primarily driven by our failure to get stops on 4th down. Our defense was executing the plan up until 4th down. It sucked, but it wasn't the result of a complete failures in coverage. Against ISU, we suffered blown assignment after blown assignment. 

I agree with that. I'm just bitter about those blown assignments. We need the D and O to be on point the rest of the season.

Sanders is going to play…even at 50%. But the refs are always 100% and ready to go against us….I say Horns 31 pokes 28. And that is plenty good enough for me. Just win. After the past 12 years…. 6-2, top 15 team after 8 weeks sounds spectacular to me. We are trending nicely and can win this conference

The refs are out to get Texas but they’re going to let Texas win a 3 point game?

6 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Gerry Hamilton tonight:

• Spencer Sanders non-throwing shoulder issue
  • Center position injuries, okie lite on their 3rd center

Gerry also added that a Tcu source said horny toads thought going into their game that:  1) Back end of okie lite defense was vulnerable, and 2) okie lite OL might not be as physical as in the past.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

I think anybody expecting Sanders not to play and play as tough as his body will let him is missing the fact that this is it for him. He has to play, he has to perform. He’s currently the 40ish rated QB in this coming up NFL draft (where usually 8-12 QBs are taken in any given year) so he is staring straight down the barrel of UDFA or with that ranking more likely the end of his football career.

Under those circumstances I expect him to give it everything he’s got and that his body will allow.

Why do people think it’s his last year? Doesn’t he have the ability to come back and use his COVID year? He’s got some some NIL deals likely paying him about what he could make as a UDFA on a NFL practice squad (if he even gets picked up) and more than he likely could get in CFL/XFL/USFL, plus he could get a master’s degree (if he doesn’t have one already), absolutely dominate any Okie State QB record stats and better set himself up for life after football where he can pull in some extra money from the OSU alumni even if he ends up working as a salesman.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

Why do people think it’s his last year? Doesn’t he have the ability to come back and use his COVID year? He’s got some some NIL deals likely paying him about what he could make as a UDFA on a NFL practice squad (if he even gets picked up) and more than he likely could get in CFL/XFL/USFL, plus he could get a master’s degree (if he doesn’t have one already), absolutely dominate any Okie State QB record stats and better set himself up for life after football where he can pull in some extra money from the OSU alumni even if he ends up working as a salesman.

I'm pretty sure this will be his 4th season competing.  I don't believe you get to PLAY 5 seasons, you get 6 years to compete in 4 and he has played all or almost all of 19, 20, 21 and on his way in 22.  

15 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

I'm pretty sure this will be his 4th season competing.  I don't believe you get to PLAY 5 seasons, you get 6 years to compete in 4 and he has played all or almost all of 19, 20, 21 and on his way in 22.  

2020 was a shortened season due to COVID, all Fall athletes are eligible for 1 additional year.

https://www.ncaa.org/news/2020/3/30/division-i-council-extends-eligibility-for-student-athletes-impacted-by-covid-19.aspx

edit: that was spring, this is fall

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/ncaa-approves-blanket-waiver-for-2020-fall-sports-athletes-to-retain-year-of-eligibility/

Edited by TKthunder2

On 10/17/2022 at 7:48 AM, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Our defense isn’t nearly as bad as some of us are making them out to be. Perhaps it can be attributed to lack of trust and PTSD for what we endured last season. Yes, our secondary can get abused a little here and there but our D is good enough for us to win (especially against the run) and they are more of an asset rather than a detriment to this team. I’d bet the majority of P5 schools would trade their defense for ours. All of this being said without having a single bonafide pass rusher and only one above average cover guy I’d say we are actually playing above expectations to this point. 

I think the line on this game is what it is because of the way we were able to run the ball against a really good Iowa State D. They weren’t gimmick runs or Bijan having to make three guys miss behind the LOS, they were downhill you know we are going to run but you can’t stop us kind of runs. If we can run at will like that rate moving forward, then this offense will be as difficult to stop as just about any in CFB. This offense, and team in general is just barely scratching the surface. Sark has just got to find a way to avoid a letdown

The passing defense looks terrible between the 20s.  Run defense has been good. Red Zone defense isn't as bad as midfield defense (bend don't break looks) ESPECIALLY on 3rd and Longhorn, the back 7 look disjointed af... But defense seems to be working at keeping RedZone scores from being easy.

Offense is rolling when passes are not dropped. OL is getting a bit more of the forward push in the run and the pockets look good on most of plays. I'm not sure if play calling or the guys just figuring things out, but it looks like playing to maximize OL strength is working.  Also helps that teams don't stack the box against Ewers like they would with Card. I guess they don't like the juice on that bet.

21 minutes ago, immamac said:

Also it’s GUNNER Gundy not GunnAR Gundy. 
mike Gundy spelled it the stupid backwoods hick way in purpose. 

It would've been a lot cooler if he spelled Gunner backwards. Rennug Gundy!

Edited by mdmost

Just now, TexasMan said:

The line staying at 6.5 but the total keeps going down makes me think Vegas thinks Texas will be up and in control late, but guarding against another conservative collapse like the one in Lubbock. 

Weather could be influencing the total.  Gonna be windy out there.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, TexasMan said:

The line staying at 6.5 but the total keeps going down makes me think Vegas thinks Texas will be up and in control late, but guarding against another conservative collapse like the one in Lubbock. 

I've never personally thanked you for your avatar. God Bless you TexasMan. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 10/17/2022 at 12:19 PM, Tex48 said:

How many of us are going to be in Stillwater this weekend? I am flying into Tulsa for Oktoberfest on Friday and planning on Tailgating in Stillwater on Saturday.  

Tulsa has the best Oktoberfest in the country. I haven't been there in a few years but when I would go it was always a great time. Somewhere in my kitchen I have the last 64oz pitcher that used to come with every ticket. I think they downgraded to 1 liter steins now. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

Tulsa has the best Oktoberfest in the country. I haven't been there in a few years but when I would go it was always a great time. Somewhere in my kitchen I have the last 64oz pitcher that used to come with every ticket. I think they downgraded to 1 liter steins now. 

The best one for years has been considered the one is in LaCrosse Wisconsin. And that is after the city nerfed it from 2 1/2 weeks to only 8 days I think...

It is also where they have at least one death a year due to drunks drowning in the Mississippi river...

Incredibly crazy event that I have no interest in ever going to again