Lina Hidalgo

Nice Guy Eddie

I was told she was going to resign

Harris Co. Judge Lina Hidalgo to be discharged from residential treatment, will return to usual schedule in October (click2houston.com)

Discharged Saturday, back to work October 2

"Thank you to my colleagues, family, and the Harris County community for the outpouring of support that I received after I announced I was seeking inpatient mental health treatment for depression. I have been deeply touched by all the messages that I have received, not only from Harris County residents but from across the country. So many people wrote to me to share their own struggles with mental health and their support for my decision to be public about my journey. I am encouraged that so many in our community agree that treatment for mental illness should be normalized just as seeking treatment (for) any illness is accepted and expected.

"After my time in a fantastic inpatient facility, I am feeling a lot better. I am looking forward to being discharged this Saturday, September 16, 2023, starting outpatient care, and re-acclimatizing to life outside a mental health facility. My initial treatment plan had me returning to my regular schedule in September, but my discharge date was moved back, which moves back the re-acclimatization period. The way my doctors explained re-acclimatization to me is that you would not go from heart surgery straight to running a marathon, in the same way that they do not want me to go straight back to my usual schedule.

"I am feeling great and looking forward to returning on Monday, October 2, 2023. Thanks to the incredible medical team that has cared for me over the past several weeks, I feel so much stronger than I have ever been.

"I continue to maintain lines of communication with my staff and the Harris County Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Management remains fully prepared to respond to any potential incident, as well as request my presence if necessary.

"I am grateful for your continued support. I look forward to sharing more about my experience, and most of all, I am eager to return to the community and the job that I love."

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm a Hidalgo fan and hope she's using her time at the county to build both a record and a network to help sustain a run for state office.  That said, in LA any inpatient treatment described as "exhaustion", "depression," even "alcoholism" is code for drug addiction treatment.  Are there any rumors on that with her?

10 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

I'm a Hidalgo fan and hope she's using her time at the county to build both a record and a network to help sustain a run for state office.  That said, in LA any inpatient treatment described as "exhaustion", "depression," even "alcoholism" is code for drug addiction treatment.  Are there any rumors on that with her?

Well, alcoholism is drug addiction.  Inpatient treatment for depression is not all that common, as far as I know, unless the person has expressed suicidal ideation.  Fetterman did it, but I think a big part of that was its relationship to a stroke and stroke rehab.  And, of couse, insurance of the Gods, that I imagine Harris County employee insurance doesn't compare to, but it might.

There's still enough social stigma around all forms of chemical dependency that it wouldn't surprise me if it was "euphemized."

Edited by TwiceHorn

14 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Well, alcoholism is drug addiction. 

On that small point, let me be more clear--I was actually told (by someone who's married into inner Hollywood circles) that most of the "exhaustion" inpatient treatment is for cocaine addiction.  This was 15 years ago (and she was talking about Ben Affleck specifically) so I don't know if some other drug is now more prevalent (I'm presuming fentanyl isn't the drug de jour for the upper class or a county judge).  Plus I'd hate to suggest Hidalgo, as Colombian, is using coke.  That sounds like cheesy Kingwood MAGA Facebook shit. 

On 9/14/2023 at 9:27 PM, LCHorn said:

I buy the depression/anxiety angle at face value. Her job is extremely stressful and basically impossible to execute well due to the State's adversarial posturing, and she receives an extreme amount of vitriol along gender, racial, and political lines. There's really no way for her to seek treatment and unplug while remaining in place as County Judge.

It's also worth noting that she is in her early 30's, which is significant both because it's very rare for someone her age to be in such a position and because there is a generational difference in how mental health is valued & addressed.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 months later...
2 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

Holy shit...  I know Rachel Palmer Hooper.   I didn't realize her connection to Ogg but knew she was deep into GQP fantasy land.   

Damn.

Well, why would you know she's connected to Ogg? She's the general counsul of the texas republican party or some shit, and her husband is some psycho right wing blogger. I mean, what obvious connection would they have to Democratic Kim Ogg? Oh wait, it's because Kim Ogg is a piece of fucking shit. 

• Hook 'Em 1

In response to a detailed list of questions about Hooper’s work on the investigation and the contract under which she was hired, the district attorney’s office provided this statement:

“The Texas Rangers did the original investigation and Rachel Palmer Hooper’s role was to draft and review legal documents. We have a longstanding master agreement with the law firm of BakerHostetler that allows our office to hire them as outside counsel, as does the Harris County Attorney’s Office. We have no say in how much the firm paid Ms. Hooper for her work.”

In a subsequent interview, Joe Stinebaker, Ogg’s communications director, said BakerHostetler was hired because “we needed the manpower.” At the time, he said, three or four of the office’s eight public corruption prosecutors were out of the office due to military leave or other reasons, and some of those remaining were relatively new to the public corruption division. The law firm’s fees were paid from asset forfeiture funds seized from criminals, he said.

Step 1: Run all the good attorneys off

Step 2: Use lack of manpower to hire the fucking general counsel for the Texas Republican party to investigate Democrats

Step 3: Get a new job with BakerHostetler when you're primaried for being a fucking Republican

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Well, why would you know she's connected to Ogg? She's the general counsul of the texas republican party or some shit, and her husband is some psycho right wing blogger. I mean, what obvious connection would they have to Democratic Kim Ogg? Oh wait, it's because Kim Ogg is a piece of fucking shit. 

Jesus Christ, I hope she loses the primary 80/20.  She's such a fucking awful piece of shit. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

What’s Ogg’s angle in all of this?

I mean what’s in it for her?

Helping Republicans. She's always been a conservative and only switched parties because it made it easier for her to get elected in Harris County. 

• Rage+1 1

7 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Helping Republicans. She's always been a conservative and only switched parties because it made it easier for her to get elected in Harris County. 

She did the job of getting rid of Devon Anderson.  Now it's time for her to GTFO. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

Except she's a lesbian, and they hate her and they hate that she had a kid with her companion and would love to jail or prevent that kind of stuff from happening.

But there are self-haters on the left, so...

1 hour ago, wildcat09 said:

There's plenty of stupid people in the world who support political parties who want them dead. See Bari Weiss.

Shit, see Icono. He's brown and sucks dick for drugs.  He'd be first in the camps and he'd be so confused why that is. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Just now, Js1 said:

Shit, see Icono. He's brown and sucks dick for drugs.  He'd be first in the camps and he'd be so confused why that is. 

"BUT BUT BUT I HATE ARABS AND MEXICANS LIKE YOU GUYS DO!  HELL GIVE ME A GUN AND I'LL SHOOT THEM FOR YOU! I WANT TO LICK YOUR BOOTS SO CLEAN TOO! WHY ARE YOU DOING TH..."

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

"BUT BUT BUT I HATE ARABS AND MEXICANS LIKE YOU GUYS DO!  HELL GIVE ME A GUN AND I'LL SHOOT THEM FOR YOU! I WANT TO LICK YOUR BOOTS SO CLEAN TOO! WHY ARE YOU DOING TH..."

He's be a Sonderkommando on Meal Team 6.

2 hours ago, Underdog said:

To paraphrase a movie quote… how’d you like to bite that in the ass and pray for lockjaw?

To paraphrase another movie quote…. I believe those are made for comfort and not for speed.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/26/2024 at 12:39 AM, royiv said:

Ogg needs to go. 

Hard to see why/how she wins a primary.  Unless all the GOP voters in Harris County vote Dem this time to save her.  

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

Hard to see why/how she wins a primary.  Unless all the GOP voters in Harris County vote Dem this time to save her.  

If Trump has it wrapped up, I could see it, but if the presidential nomination is still in doubt, no.