Ant Man and The Wasp: Quantumania

mdmost

I enjoyed it and thought it was pretty good. It's definitely not nearly as bad as the critics made it out to be. The quantum realm was cool. Kang was cool. Michelle Pfeiffer was really good.

That said, it felt like it could have been better than it actually was. A lot of the dialog and humor fell flat, and they could have wrapped it up a little differently where it didn't feel like they were spoon feeding you everything. It would have landed better if they gave the audience just a little credit for figuring things out. I get that MODOK was there in part for comic relief, but that whole plotline just felt so forced and poorly executed. Also, and I know this is going to be an unpopular opinion, but Paul Rudd started to grate on me a bit toward the end and I can't exactly put my finger on it.  It may have been that he talks to his teenage daughter like she's still 6 and that he plays the part perhaps intentionally with zero self awareness? I'm not sure what it was. 

All in all, while I still liked it, it felt like there was a better movie somewhere in there trying to get out.

84% audience score on RT vs 48% for critics.  Quite a disparity.  One of the critiques I have heard is that this movie was made for people who are fully invested into the MCU, TV shows and all.  If you don't fall into that group, your enjoyment level for this film will probably be on the lower end of the scale.

• 2 months later...

I guess I'm in the rotten tomato critic category because I was so underwhelmed.

I don't really care about rotten special effects (and Modok looked terrible) but that script needed A LOT of work.  There is zero tension, repeated logical inconsistency, and it's just a really bad version of an Ant-Man movie in keeping thematically with the previous two. 

You could substitute pretty much any other hero for Ant Man and tell basically the same story. 

Can someone tell me what the Wasp does?  I don't mean power set, I mean why they need her narratively?  She's in the title but you could easily write around her absence.  I can't recall if Rudd and Lily had chemistry in the previous films but here it's entirely absent and they just wrote nothing to justify any connection there.  When they tell each other "I love you" at a key moment it comes out of nowhere because I think it's the first time they've spoken to each other the whole film. 

The only purpose of the movie is to showcase Majors issuing cryptic platitudes in a low register and he's terrific at it.  They should have just called it "Kang the Quantum Conqueror" if they wanted to build up an origin story.  Not a single character that we're meant to root for is changed at all between the beginning of the film and the end. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I just assumed that since they didn't write any humor into the show, MODOK's face was supposed to make you laugh. I giggled at how awful it was every time he popped up.

Was very confused as to how they just opened back up the portal up as if it wasn't a bit deal, specifically after all the drama about it closing prior to Ant and Wasp not making it back.

Holy crap this was such schlock and sooooo bad. I can't believe how far MCU has fallen. There just can't be much left in the bag, especially now that the big baddies will be cancelled for like John David Washington or someone else not as good, as Majors was the only bright spot.

I guess I'm in the rotten tomato critic category because I was so underwhelmed.
I don't really care about rotten special effects (and Modok looked terrible) but that script needed A LOT of work.  There is zero tension, repeated logical inconsistency, and it's just a really bad version of an Ant-Man movie in keeping thematically with the previous two. 
You could substitute pretty much any other hero for Ant Man and tell basically the same story. 
Can someone tell me what the Wasp does?  I don't mean power set, I mean why they need her narratively?  She's in the title but you could easily write around her absence.  I can't recall if Rudd and Lily had chemistry in the previous films but here it's entirely absent and they just wrote nothing to justify any connection there.  When they tell each other "I love you" at a key moment it comes out of nowhere because I think it's the first time they've spoken to each other the whole film. 
The only purpose of the movie is to showcase Majors issuing cryptic platitudes in a low register and he's terrific at it.  They should have just called it "Kang the Quantum Conqueror" if they wanted to build up an origin story.  Not a single character that we're meant to root for is changed at all between the beginning of the film and the end. 

Pretty much this. It’s incredible how far down the quality of the writing has gone.
  • Hook 'Em 1