Texas Longhorns @ Kansas State Wildcats - 6pm on FS1

Pancho

5 minutes ago, immamac said:

Except we know the results of the play and it was a first down easily. Sark not trusting Ewers to snap it is bullshit. He clearly got the snap off. That’s like saying it was a good bluff after seeing the river card in poker. No one is on his ass for the delay of game due to no timeout. Subbing late in the play clock against a coach who always subs his guys after just to fuck with the rhythm is the crime. He was guilty of it regardless. Fucking so stupid it’s incredible. 

We don't know the results of play. K state wasn't really defending it because the whistle blew. I do think, based on alignment, we were in a good position. But I don't really mind the timeout there. What we did after the timeout is completely different. 

We weren't shut down as to gaining yards the second half as I recall. We just didn't score.

I will say that I absolutely hate that third or fourth and a yard has to be mano a mano rush the middle of the line test of manhood. Try a fucking tight end pass every once in awhile to at least make them think. Earl could get that for you everytime but just about nobody else.

Let James Brown call fourth down plays via text to the booth.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

What are people expecting from the defense?  They gave up 10 points in the first half.  Then the offense shit the bed in the second half - committed turnovers, penalties, and couldn't move the ball - and the defense gave up all of 17 points in the second half.  We held Kansas St. below their season average - while the offense did everything in their power to lose the game in the second half.  We had phantom Facemask penalties called and there was holding all night - but people want to blame the defense for this game?

Not let the 113th ranked 3rd down offense convert what seemed like 80% of them was what I expected.
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Whats funny is that s&p has this defense as #21 in the country

the problem with this team is that when one side of the ball is playing great, the other side rarely is

OU is the only game so far that we put it together for both halves for both sides of the ball. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, RomaVicta said:

We weren't shut down as to gaining yards the second half as I recall. We just didn't score.

I will say that I absolutely hate that third or fourth and a yard has to be mano a mano rush the middle of the line test of manhood. Try a fucking tight end pass every once in awhile to at least make them think. Earl could get that for you everytime but just about nobody else.

Let James Brown call fourth down plays via text to the booth.

It was one of our better second half's yardage wise considering we only had 5 possessions - the problem was that they kept shooting themselves in the foot either with pre-snap penalties, or turnovers, or play-calling (or Quinn making poor decisions).

• Hook 'Em 2

Having Neyor available this year would have made a huge impact on the offense. Whether the defenses are keyed in on Worthy or he's just having a shitty game, another deep threat of his caliber would give defenses too much too worry about on the back end and keep boxes even lighter up front for Bijan and RoJo to exploit. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, USNALonghorn said:

Having Neyor available this year would have made a huge impact on the offense. Whether the defenses are keyed in on Worthy or he's just having a shitty game, another deep threat of his caliber would give defenses too much too worry about on the back end and keep boxes even lighter up front for Bijan and RoJo to exploit. 

Our playcalling was extremely predictable in the second half when we were trying to play ball control. So, maybe having another playmaker would help ice the game before ball control comes into play. Otherwise, I have my doubts.

Neyor would light a fire under X’s ass. Sark needs to hit the transfer portal for another WR badly. And just give patterson the fucking job.

1 minute ago, Bevo said:

Our playcalling was extremely predictable in the second half when we were trying to play ball control. So, maybe having another playmaker would help ice the game before ball control comes into play. Otherwise, I have my doubts.

I wish they could find a way to get Sanders more involved when we go 'ball control / bleed the clock'.  I feel like they use him early and then once a defense starts to account for him we all but give up on him (but I have no idea if actual game stats support this).

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I wish they could find a way to get Sanders more involved when we go 'ball control / bleed the clock'.  I feel like they use him early and then once a defense starts to account for him we all but give up on him (but I have no idea if actual game stats support this).

That 4th down handoff to Bijan where they went 9 in the box was screaming for a tightend seam route .

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Neyor would light a fire under X’s ass. Sark needs to hit the transfer portal for another WR badly. And just give patterson the fucking job.

Sark as OC, Patterson as DC, and Willie Fritz as HC

how many championships would we win? 3? 4?

Edited by GreenspointTexas
  • Like 1

We have lost plenty of games the way the same way KSU lost yesterday. The opponent builds a large lead and our rally falls just short (likely due to a turnover). Ehlinger, Casey T, all have done it. So it's not a terrible way to win. 2005 Horns blew out everyone on their schedule, we're far from that level and have been for a while. Enjoy the tough road win people, why we pouting 😾

• Hook 'Em 2

Game possessions:

Texas
Q1
*TD
TD
Q2
TD
TO - Fumble
FG - 3rd down botched by poor pass pro
TD
Q3
TO - fumble by worthy soft hands
TO - punt, bad run followed by bad screen
TO - punt, couldn’t run on 3rd&2
Q4
FG - hit on 3rd down over thrown bijon td
TO - punt, 3&out, 3 runs terrible 3rd down play

Kansas state
Q1
TD
Q2
FG - wr dropped the td
TO - Punt, we actually got a sack
TO - great 4th down stop pbu in the end zone
TO - int by ford
Q3
*TO - punt, 3&out
TD - ball was short, funny cocksucker guy
TO - punt, missed facemask then 2 false starts
Q4
TD
FG - defense collapsed, held up in RZ
TO - qb stripped to end the game

16 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Texas' Defense was 14th in DFEI, 29th in ESPN FPI, and 16th SP+ coming into yesterday's Kansas St. game.  They're giving up just under 10ppg fewer than last season.  Yes - the third down efficiency is frustrating - but overall this is a much improved and very capable defense.  

I don't know if Jamison always plays the way he did yesterday, but I'm thinking addition by subtraction if we can portal in a quality corner. Safety, corner, linebacker, and edge all need a talent infusion and we are losing a bunch on the interior. It anyone is keeping track, that is our entire defense.

3 minutes ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

Game possessions:

Texas
Q1
*TD
TD
Q2
TD
TO - Fumble
FG - 3rd down botched by poor pass pro
TD
Q3
TO - fumble by worthy soft hands
TO - punt, bad run followed by bad screen
TO - punt, couldn’t run on 3rd&2
Q4
FG - hit on 3rd down over thrown bijon td
TO - punt, 3&out, 3 runs terrible 3rd down play

Kansas state
Q1
TD
Q2
FG - wr dropped the td
TO - Punt, we actually got a sack
TO - great 4th down stop pbu in the end zone
TO - int by ford
Q3
*TO - punt, 3&out
TD - ball was short, funny cocksucker guy
TO - punt, missed facemask then 2 false starts
Q4
TD
FG - defense collapsed, held up in RZ
TO - qb stripped to end the game

Collapsed?  That drive was 13 plays and ate up over 5 minutes of the clock to go 55 yards - and Kansas St. was down two scores.  Kansas St started that drive with over 10 minutes on the clock and kicked off to Texas after the FG with fewer than 4.5 minutes left.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I don't know if Jamison always plays the way he did yesterday, but I'm thinking addition by subtraction if we can portal in a quality corner. Safety, corner, linebacker, and edge all need a talent infusion and we are losing a bunch on the interior. It anyone is keeping track, that is our entire defense.

These last two games have not been great for Jamison, but on the year he is still only giving up a 58.4 passer rating.  Thats third best in the Big12.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

When you're up 3 TDs I expect better use of the play clock. Infuriating to watch and know we're going into a fetal position, but snapping the ball with 25-30 on the play clock. There lots of ways to tire a Defense, and having the D-Line sit in a 3-4 point stance for 20 seconds is one way. Snapping the ball early gives the other team extra possessions every F'N time.

Edited by StassneyHorn
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

Collapsed?  That drive was 13 plays and ate up over 5 minutes of the clock to go 55 yards - and Kansas St. was down two scores.  Kansas St started that drive with over 10 minutes on the clock and kicked off to Texas after the FG with fewer than 4.5 minutes left.

Yes they gave up a ridiculous 3rd &9, then a ridiculous 4th down conversion, had penalties give up a first down, and then had a couple of plays where they looked like Larry, curly, and mor trying to tackle. Once they gave up the whole field and KSt was in the red zone, they played better and forced a fg.

2 hours ago, immamac said:

I stand by my drunk statement. Sark is a bad head football coach. He's a great OC. Not winning by 35 last night with the talent advantage is criminal. The fact that PK hasn't been reassigned or fired is criminal. The 2nd half only scoring 3 for the 2nd time in a row after scoring nearly every drive in the first half is criminal. The timeout on 3rd down when the snap gets off anyway because you don't trust your players and you decided to substitute late and you know that kstate does the late sub thing because klieman knows the fucking rules of football and has done it on film before is criminal. 

This team is built to and wants to win. They are the best football team we have had in a long while, but this coach is fucking dogshit. 

I am very happy we won. 

So basically what you are saying drunk or not you are still a fucking idiot. Team is built to win and wants to win but the coach is dogshit? Well who is responsible for getting the team to this point? Team is young and they have issues executing consistently especially in the second half. I think some of you expect Sark to go out there and execute for the players.

• Hook 'Em 2

40 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

When you're up 3 TDs I expect better use of the play clock. Infuriating to watch and know we're going into a fetal position, but snapping the ball with 25-30 on the play clock. There lots of ways to tire a Defense, and having the D-Line sit in a 3-4 point stance for 20 seconds is one way. Snapping the ball early gives the other team extra possessions every F'N time.

Okay, memory fades. Who was it, in the last 10 years or so, who went into hurry up when they were trying to run out the clock in a big game? Horns? Strong maybe? Or Cowboys? Garrett, maybe?

3 hours ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Okay, memory fades. Who was it, in the last 10 years or so, who went into hurry up when they were trying to run out the clock in a big game? Horns? Strong maybe? Or Cowboys? Garrett, maybe?

Horns vs Texas Tech in Lubbock, 2015 I believe? Literally the last offense in the country you want to give any time to work with and we were throwing the ball and snapping it with > 20 seconds on the play clock up a touchdown with about 2:30 left in the 4th. 

We haven’t had a coach who understood clock management since Mack Brown.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Vertigo said:

That 4th down handoff to Bijan where they went 9 in the box was screaming for a tightend seam route .

Just my guess, but I get the feeling Quinn doesn’t have audible authority yet. Quite a few times it seems like Texas is a bad play and they stick with it. That isn’t unusual with freshmen QBs, but it is limiting factor on the offense. 

• Like 1

Horns vs Texas Tech in Lubbock, 2015 I believe? Literally the last offense in the country you want to give any time to work with and we were throwing the ball and snapping it with > 20 seconds on the play clock up a touchdown with about 2:30 left in the 4th. 

We haven’t had a coach who understood clock management since Mack Brown.

I’m not sure about 2015. But 2008 Mack’s team was snapping it too quickly and leaving Tech too much.

Mack led Texas damn near lost an opportunity to play for a National championship because of clock management.

He wasn’t the best at clock management. But his guys rose to the occasion late in games. And his kickers never missed late.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

Just my guess, but I get the feeling Quinn doesn’t have audible authority yet. Quite a few times it seems like Texas is a bad play and they stick with it. That isn’t unusual with freshmen QBs, but it is limiting factor on the offense. 

Glad you brought audibles up. Colt and Quan on a read and a look they gave each other beat Ohio State. When I see the whole team turn to the sideline, I think are we in middle school? Can't these guys be taught to read a defense? I hope we get to the point the QB has more control which should help with these second half collapses.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Whats funny is that s&p has this defense as #21 in the country

the problem with this team is that when one side of the ball is playing great, the other side rarely is

Which explains why Texas has double digits leads almost every game. You have it backwards, both sides usually play great together, and when one side starts to struggle so does the other.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, DanTheHorn said:

Glad you brought audibles up. Colt and Quan on a read and a look they gave each other beat Ohio State. When I see the whole team turn to the sideline, I think are we in middle school? Can't these guys be taught to read a defense? I hope we get to the point the QB has more control which should help with these second half collapses.

Major was great at it too. Never once saw him have to call timeout out , he would check out of stuff all the time. Nails 

I'll tell you one thing.  My wife noticed that this was the first time in a long, long time that I have been super-vocal during a Texas game, screaming variations of "fuck" and "fuck yeah" at the TV.

Not only was it a worthy opponent where the outcome was uncertain, it felt like something was "at stake" for the first time in a long, long time.

Even before a pattern of second-half losses emerged, I had become quite inured to the ups and mostly downs of Texas Foorball over the last 10 years or so.

A big part of that is that I seem to have more interest in Sarkisian succeeding than the last two.  I guess it's the redemption story of an alcoholic.  Another part is that I'm tired, so tired of the merry-go-round.  So fucking tired.

Edited by TwiceHorn

13 hours ago, Codaxx said:

You could tell after that last handoff to Bijan right into a 9 man front Quinn had a reaction that was basically see I told your dumbass that play wasn't going to work.  

3 hours ago, jdhorn92 said:

Major was great at it too. Never once saw him have to call timeout out , he would check out of stuff all the time. Nails 

I always thought that was the main reason I was in the Applewhite camp. Simms was more talented but would go with GDs bad play calls all the time.Colorado game first interception to me was a terrible play call when running was working so well. Simms stayed in it. GD was ready to try something that had not been practiced on 4th down. Vince told him, hey coach you had the right play drawn up in practice lets do it again and they did because of the player.

• Hook 'Em 1