We're Going (Alamo) Bowling!!!

satyanash

Just now, Zeus said:

The Jimmy Lake Era

The backup LB that Lake punched there is a Washington cult hero now.

As bad as last year was for us, the fanbase isn't sure we fired Lake without him making an ass of himself during this game, and leading up to it. 

Believe it or not, another cult hero is former USC AD Pat Haden. He hired Sark, which allowed us to get Chris Petersen and go to the CFP.

• Fuck You 5

34 minutes ago, PostGameOrangeSlices said:

I saw that after I had already replied to you, kudos

Still funny though. That would be like me looking at Texas' schedule and calling Oklahoma your best win.

You guys did get a big win at KSU, but other than that I see a bunch of moral victories and a win vs. UTSA

I fucked your mother. I count it a loss.

spacer.png

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, PostGameOrangeSlices said:

You didn't have to stay up late to watch the biggest games we played this year. We were on primetime a lot - vs. MSU, Oregon, Washington State, UCLA

It sucks for us Michigan State ended up sucking ass, but still

Fair enough. And I have a question for you. A few years ago, y'all were playing a regular season gave against OU. One of their DL pulled a late hit/cheap shot on your QB. On the next play, two offensive linemen double teamed him, put him on the ground and proceeded to lay on top of him, punching and kicking the crap out of him in retaliation. It was truly a beautiful thing. Do you have any idea when this happened?

4 minutes ago, Crapinon said:

Fair enough. And I have a question for you. A few years ago, y'all were playing a regular season gave against OU. One of their DL pulled a late hit/cheap shot on your QB. On the next play, two offensive linemen double teamed him, put him on the ground and proceeded to lay on top of him, punching and kicking the crap out of him in retaliation. It was truly a beautiful thing. Do you have any idea when this happened?

Covid did something to my brain as far as CFB memories and timelines go, but I want to say that was the 2019 home game against Oregon that we choked away. 

Eason was the QB

3 minutes ago, PostGameOrangeSlices said:

Covid did something to my brain as far as CFB memories and timelines go, but I want to say that was the 2019 home game against Oregon that we choked away. 

Eason was the QB

Nah, I'm sure this was against OU. And to be fair it might have been 10+ years ago. It doesn't really matter. Occasionally I hope to find a Youtube clip of it for the laughs.

Edited by Crapinon
spelling

12 minutes ago, Crapinon said:

I want to say this was way back in like 2006.

Edit: or 2008, they played that year too. And yeah, it was hilarious.

Edited by Hank Chinaski
  • Hook 'Em 1

Easy fix.  Stop supporting the NFL.
The world was a better place when you were either for Rutgers or Princeton or no one.

Bro do you even Yale and Harvard?

I think the key to winning this game is simply Longhorn players giving a fuck. Washington won't have a problem getting up for playing Texas in what is basically a home game for us, but I'm not sure all our players will be up for giving a serious effort. We shall see.

UW hoping to compete for next years CFP National Championship -- paying OC $2mil/yr

UW OC Ryan Grubb receives another raise, becomes highest paid assistant in program history

Dec. 27th    Mike Vorel     Seattle Times 

UW offensive coordinator Ryan Grubb received a raise last month that set his salary at $1.45 million in 2023, $1.55 million in 2024 and $1.67 million in 2025.

It didn’t last long.

The Huskies’ first-year offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach recently received a second raise that will pay him $2 million annually through 2025, a department source confirmed Tuesday. That’s after the Houston Chronicle reported last week that Grubb was prominently featured on Texas A&M’s offensive coordinator wish list.

According to USA Today’s salary database, just two college football assistants earned $2 million or more this year — Georgia offensive coordinator Todd Monken ($2,005,000) and Ohio State defensive coordinator Jim Knowles ($1,900,000, surpassing $2 million with incentives).

Grubb will soon become UW’s highest paid assistant in program history, surpassing former defensive coordinator (and eventual head coach) Jimmy Lake — who made $1.4 million in 2019. A Kingsley, Iowa, native and Buena Vista University alum, Grubb initially signed a two-year contract in December 2021 worth $1,020,000 annually. The performance incentives and buyout figures attached to his extension have not been disclosed.

Under Grubb and head coach Kalen DeBoer — whose own two-year extension, through 2028, was announced last month — Washington’s offense leads the nation in passing (376.7 yards per game), first downs (27.4 per game), third-down conversions (57.06%) and completions of 10 yards or more (182). The Huskies also sit second in total offense (522.2 yards per game) and fourth in scoring (40.8), nearly doubling their scoring average from 2021 (21.5).

“I think just our staff collectively — (associate head coach JaMarcus Shephard), (tight ends coach) Nick (Sheridan), (running backs coach Lee) Marks and (offensive line coach Scott) Huff — I think we work together really, really well,” Grubb said Monday, when asked about UW’s third down efficiency. “That’s what it comes down to. I think people get in rooms and guys have ideas and man, if you can get to the best idea and put the best thing out there for the kids, they can succeed. Things get pretty easy pretty quick. I think we’ve done a good job of that.”

Indiana transfer quarterback Michael Penix Jr. has certainly flourished in Grubb and DeBoer’s prolific attack — leading the country in passing yards (4,354) while completing 66% of his passes and totaling 33 touchdowns (29 passing, four rushing) and seven interceptions. The redshirt junior also claimed program records for single-game passing yards (516) and completions (36, twice) in his UW debut.

In doing so, sophomore wide receivers Rome Odunze (11 games, 70 catches, 1,088 yards, eight TDs) and Jalen McMillan (12 games, 71 catches, 1,040 yards, eight TDs) blossomed as well — becoming the first UW teammates to surpass 1,000 receiving yards in the same season.

Grubb isn’t the only key piece returning in 2023. Penix, McMillan and left tackle Troy Fautanu have each announced they’ll forgo the NFL draft in favor of another season in Seattle. Odunze’s decision is still outstanding.

Grubb and DeBoer worked together at three previous stops — the University of Sioux Falls (offensive-line coach and run-game coordinator from 2007-09), Eastern Michigan (offensive-line coach from 2014-16) and Fresno State (offensive-line coach and run-game coordinator in 2017-18, associate head coach and offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach in 2020-21).

That partnership continues to withstand outside interest.

And the extra money helps.

“My initial emotional response to being here [last winter] was that this place could be unbelievably special, not knowing really anything about Washington,” Grubb said last month. “Now, going through a full year of it and seeing the support of the community and the kids that are in this program, this place is incredibly special. So I’m excited to be here.”

EDIT:  the Houston Chronicle reported Grubb was a person of interest in Texas A&M's ongoing offensive coordinator search.  😋 

Edited by LTtxfan

Ryan Grubb has coached with DeBoer for several years...

Sioux Falls

In 2007, he took a position at Sioux Falls under head coach Kalen DeBoer, where he would remain for seven years. For the first three seasons, Grubb served as the offensive line coach and run game coordinator for the Cougars, while in his last four seasons he was the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach. During his time at Sioux Falls, Grubb also served as the school's strength and conditioning coach; in addition to winning two NAIA national championships with the football team, he was also named NAIA National Strength and Conditioning Coach of the Year in 2008.

Eastern Michigan

When DeBoer was hired as the offensive coordinator at Eastern Michigan in 2014, Grubb followed, taking the offensive line coach position with the Eagles.

Fresno State

He stayed in Ypsilanti for three seasons before following DeBoer to Fresno State Bulldogs football upon DeBoer's hiring as the Bulldogs' offensive coordinator in 2017;  Grubb was hired to the position of offensive line coach and run game coordinator, and added the titles of offensive coordinator and associate head coach entering 2019.

Washington

In December 2021 Grubb said he was going to Washington to be on DeBoer's staff as OC/QB coach.

4 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

This is great value Texas.  Our two best players missing impacts how Sark can call the game.   When they stack the box and dare us to pass, like everyone else did, running anyway won’t work.  Have to throw first to set up the run, which means we lose if Ewers is still playing afraid.

Losing Overshown and Johnson could also hurt on special teams since they made a lot of plays in that area.   Need the P and K to have good games. 

You act as if we don't have Jonathon Brooks or Keilan Robinson playing. 

I think some of y'all know this guy.  He was a higher-up at Ticketcity and then co-founded/co-owns (IIRC) Centextickets.com now.  Helluva nice guy and diehard Longhorn and I think I met him through some LFZ/hornfans mutual friends.  Anyway, I remember this story of him telling some (I think) Tech fans to shut up and go to the Alamo Bowl (early 2000s).  Obviously this was when the Alamo Bowl was a mid-tier bowl game, at best with like #17 in payout and ratings.  And the way he told the story, and the way it was retold for years after...I loved it.  And he's a funny guy to boot.  

I thought we'd be in the BCS mix, maybe slip down to Cotton or Holiday (then a big deal) at worst for 20 years or more.  And now we've been 5 times in the last decade.  It gets good TV and top 20 opponents and all that.  But what was once a joke on the old sites, is now our home away from home.  

Good news is we won't be there next year because either they won't take us 4 years in 5 or we'll be in the SEC bowl arrangement.  But oh yeah, we also might be 5-7 again.  

But for those of you going---safe travels, have a great time, beat the fuck outta Washington (the rain may effect our ground game on offense, FYI).  I can't believe I've physically held tickets to 5 out of our 6 Alamo Bowls and never attended one of them despite it being 75 minutes down the road.  Something always seems to come up.  Hell, one year, I gave my seats to "Hate."  And he still talks to me.  Can't go Thursday but bring home a win.  It'd just be nice to have 9-4 on the table.  But mostly get some momentum into next season.  

Hallelujah.  Holy shit.  Where's the Spring Game schedule?  

2 hours ago, Drifterwood said:

How do people not realize this motherfucker is in a dome?!

Dude, I'm not talking about the Alamodome.  I get that, I used to see Spurs games there years ago.  I'm talking about the Alamo Bowl.  It's a football game between Washington and Texas.  has nothing to do with a domed field.  It's gonna come down to the running game and it's supposed to rain Thursday night in San Antonio.  Get your shit straight.  

16 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Dude, I'm not talking about the Alamodome.  I get that, I used to see Spurs games there years ago.  I'm talking about the Alamo Bowl.  It's a football game between Washington and Texas.  has nothing to do with a domed field.  It's gonna come down to the running game and it's supposed to rain Thursday night in San Antonio.  Get your shit straight.  

Sarcasm meter broken? The game is inside the Alamodome. It could be sleeting Diet Coke outside and it would have no impact on the game.

47 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I'm not talking about the basketball games inside the Alamodome.  I'm talking about the Alamo Bowl!  Two totally separate entities.  Dammit man.  

yeah, what is with these morons?  You cannot have a bowl inside a dome.  I bowl is an upside down dome.  If you had both in one place, it would be a sphere, and I've never heard of the Alamo Sphere.  The rain will have an impact I'm sure since they're not playing inside the Alamo Sphere. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

7 hours ago, Crapinon said:

That was against Oregon.

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

I don’t get it. Does this guy know where the game is? Is he a troll I have failed to note?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

That was against Oregon.

This isn't the game, but it's OU losing and Nik Harris (aka Mr. Horsecollar) giving up the game winning TD.

https://www.google.com/search?q=oregon+oklahom+1006&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS984US984&oq=oregon+oklahom+1006&aqs=chrome..69i57j0i546j0i30i546l4.9441j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:75ee724d,vid:rK6gWRDmuw0 

7 hours ago, PostGameOrangeSlices said:

The backup LB that Lake punched there is a Washington cult hero now.

As bad as last year was for us, the fanbase isn't sure we fired Lake without him making an ass of himself during this game, and leading up to it. 

Believe it or not, another cult hero is former USC AD Pat Haden. He hired Sark, which allowed us to get Chris Petersen and go to the CFP.

I had a roommate who played for UCLA.  He mentioned on one or two Saturday afternoons that UW was a dirty team.  

8 hours ago, PostGameOrangeSlices said:

You didn't have to stay up late to watch the biggest games we played this year. We were on primetime a lot - vs. MSU, Oregon, Washington State, UCLA

It sucks for us Michigan State ended up sucking ass, but still

The Washington State and UCLA games were both at 10:30pm ET.  That seems pretty late - not exactly rime time.

1 minute ago, Crapinon said:

I'm pretty sure it happened against OU too. I remember laughing my ass off at them pummeling him on the ground.

This was the game.  I sort of scanned it last night trying to find the incident but couldn't find it.  Not only did the Pac-10/12 refs miss the handball on the onside kick but there was a quite comical play where they gave a fumble to Oregon and an OU player is on the other side of the pile holding the ball in the air.  That crew was suspended for the next game.

I hate bad officiating as much as the next fan but it was egregious.  But it was against OU and I'm reminded of when (I think) Dusty Dvoracek knocked down Colt after a false start and nothing happened.  Karma.

You know, I think I have decided that Texas rolls in this one.  Or rolls barely over the finish line with a win.  Either way I think that the team is very, very close to truly having a "next man up" mentality that can actually be backed up by the personnel.  I am excited to see Johnathan Brooks for example.  I hate not having our two best running backs, one of the better combinations in the country.  But I have to be excited about the kids getting opportunities.

I think Washington has motivation and not the player attrition that Texas will have, but I think we are going to see some new kids step up into the limelight.  What I do not see if Washington rolling Texas.  Not to say it's not possible, but I think the team is a LOT more of a TEAM than they were even a year ago.  The leadership of guys like Bijan and Roshon for example cannot be underestimated.  This game will show us a lot of whether that leadership and dedication has been permanently instilled in the team, as the younger kids step forward to take their place in the line up.

I am very optimistic about this game.  It probably means more to Washington, as simply playing Texas is most team's "Superbowl." However,I think it is going to be very exciting seeing the new kids step up and take advantage of opportunities.  I also expect some brutal mistake by the new personnel, that gives Washington some easy points.  That will be when the adversity comes.  The response to that adversity will tell me a lot about how much the team itself has evolved.  Simply as much of the leadership on the team is sitting this one out prepping for the NFL.

I think we are going to be happy with both the outcome and what we see from the next group of kids stepping into the shoes of some very, very good players. I am fervently hoping to see a new group of team leaders take the reign. IF that happens, we are really on our way to something special as long as we can keep the two deep full with talent. Team leadership is the single biggest factor in most championship level teams.  Coaches cannot be the motivators, nor the standard enforcers.  To me seeing who steps up to fill the leadership roles vacated by guys like Roshon, Bijan and DeMo is the detail I will be looking most closely for.  But you are going to need to see some adversity to see who really steps forward. 

Hook'em!

• Hook 'Em 1

This was the game.  I sort of scanned it last night trying to find the incident but couldn't find it.  Not only did the Pac-10/12 refs miss the handball on the onside kick but there was a quite comical play where they gave a fumble to Oregon and an OU player is on the other side of the pile holding the ball in the air.  That crew was suspended for the next game.
I hate bad officiating as much as the next fan but it was egregious.  But it was against OU and I'm reminded of when (I think) Dusty Dvoracek knocked down Colt after a false start and nothing happened.  Karma.

Austin English but whatever.
  • Hook 'Em 2