2023 Texas Coaching and Support Staff Thread

8 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Ole Stumblin Rumlin to be co-OC for Mike Locksley at Maryland

Kevin Sumlin-Blazing Saddles GIF animated gif

Co-OC or just drinking buddy?  I want to see a sitcom staring Rumlin and Locksley, coaches by day, drinking buddies by night.  What shenanigans will they be up to next?  Maybe Herman could be a recurring guest?  I can even see an episode where his girlfriend tries to push him out of a plane while it's in the air.  

I know it's crazy but it just might work....

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

Yeah but that was then, this is now. Your boy called seemed to call it a "comfort" hire.

Yeah. That was the point of the guy's "odd" tweet, as you called it. The rationalization is that these guys are bringing back folks they know and are comfortable with because they think culture is the most important thing in the NIL era. Get it?

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

Yeah. That was the point of the guy's "odd" tweet, as you called it. The rationalization is that these guys are bringing back folks they know and are comfortable with because they think culture is the most important thing in the NIL era. Get it?

Kevin Steele and culture don't go well together though. A comfort hire when Saban has generally gone out and hired the best is telling. He struck out with his initial hires as well if I do recall.

Edited by BurntOrange&White

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Kevin Steele and culture don't go well together though. A comfort hire when Saban has generally gone out and hired the best is telling. He struck out with his initial hires as well if I do recall.

Kevin Steele and culture seem to go fine together when he's working under Nick Saban, apparently. Enough so that he's hired the guy 3 times now while at Alabama. 

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Kevin Steele and culture seem to go fine together when he's working under Nick Saban, apparently. Enough so that he's hired the guy 3 times now while at Alabama. 

Steele's an absolute players coach and that's the culture he brings. If your coach is willing to help hide an attempted murder weapon from one of his players in Tom Osborne's office you know he's got the respect of his guys.

• Haha 6

Just now, Plorant said:

Wtf does Monken leaving Georgia to go back to the NFL have anything to do with Arch not choosing Alabama?

Because the Mannings didn't want to sign him up to any place where they couldn't guarantee who the offensive coordinator would be. Bama has a revolving door at OC just like Georgia. You don't know if you're going to be coached by Kiffin, Sark, Bill O'Brien, or Tommy Rees, or if Nick Saban is going to decide to run the wishbone next year. Same thing with Georgia. You could get coached by Monken. Or Mike fucking Bobo. They knew what exactly what type of QB coaching they were getting with Sark. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

So, I’ll word it this way: Steve Sarkisian and A.J. Milwee are exactly the reasons that Arch Manning is in Austin right now instead of Athens or Tuscaloosa, along with the immense opportunity and potential earnings the Texas brand offers the Manning family, perhaps the most business savvy family in all of sports.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Js1 said:

Ole Stumblin Rumlin to be co-OC for Mike Locksley at Maryland

Kevin Sumlin-Blazing Saddles GIF animated gif

6 hours ago, Acropora said:

Co-OC or just drinking buddy?  I want to see a sitcom staring Rumlin and Locksley, coaches by day, drinking buddies by night.  What shenanigans will they be up to next?  Maybe Herman could be a recurring guest?  I can even see an episode where his girlfriend tries to push him out of a plane while it's in the air.  

I know it's crazy but it just might work....

I gotta assume the latter seeing as Sumlin has NEVER been a playcalling OC in his career.

Edited by TheMailBox357
  • Fuck You 1

5 hours ago, texifornia said:

Also from his Twitter feed - some familiar faces are moving around

5 hours ago, texifornia said:

Also from his Twitter feed - some familiar faces are moving around

So Blake conned another coaching staff into giving his kids a two-fer...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 8

1 hour ago, Gil Bang said:

I look forward to reflecting on his year here a couple decades down the road and him wearing burnt orange will be akin to Hakeem on the Raptors, Jerry Rice as a seahawk or Emmitt Smith on the Cardinals. Just strange

• Haha 3

I think when the history on Patterson is revealed, we will discover he helped the program just enough so that he wouldn’t arouse anger about the fact he was mainly just trying to learn everything he could about offense and NIL at Texas. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1