Texas Football Roster 2023 -- "Only Angry People Win Football Games."

LTtxfan

8 hours ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

From what I can tell the cupboard is looking pretty full.  Pass the Cool Aid, I'll be having a large glass for 2023.

Gotta see the transfer list first. Then it all depends on if Ewers is gonna take it seriously now or go into year two of mulleted jackass trying to live on potential alone

On 11/29/2022 at 4:46 PM, AP101S said:

For the 2023 tab, I removed everyone that was honored on Senior Day, with one notable exception (JWhit). Those that have indicated they're going to transfer are highlighted in pink. Those that are expected to leave, but have not announced yet are blue (Bijan, X, Pearson). The class column is based on remaining eligibility, assuming everyone that is eligible for a COVID year gets one, which is not a guarantee. First team/Second team and positions are based on what I see on Surly. I'm no expert. I don't know the difference between EDGE/Buck/X/SAM, so I dumped all those names in the same position group label because it seemed like they were the same group of people. If corrections are needed, let me know. If clicking the link above is too much trouble, here are screenshots.

871738933_UTOffense.thumb.png.1a321817b76e668763255108cd09fd2d.png1469568146_UTDefense.thumb.png.8c0a27506311063e2c342375ecba5658.png

Bumping to page 2 of this thread.

huge thanks to @AP101S 

Link to updated roster includes 2023 Class 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TzoBTIvCXfZIk7Sz3C9txMg0yPvrXyVM/edit#gid=1253781136

So JWhitt is apparently saying adios. That leaves JT as the only proven, capable and healthy pass catcher on the team.

Pray (or whatever) that Neyor is 100%, that one or more of Thompson, Red or even Cain takes leaps in improvement and that the incoming freshmen can contribute.

19 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

So JWhitt is apparently saying adios. That leaves JT as the only proven, capable and healthy pass catcher on the team.

Pray (or whatever) that Neyor is 100%, that one or more of Thompson, Red or even Cain takes leaps in improvement and that the incoming freshmen can contribute.

What about that tweet tells you he's saying goodbye?

I don’t blame him. And I wish J Whitt all the best!! Good luck to you sir!

let this be a lesson to our other players and our “#1” wr… fight, tooth and claw for respect. Once you earn it, you will always have it from the fan base and in the end, it will end up meaning more than some NIL deal

Sorry, I won’t be losing a minute of sleep if the 3rd string RB who sat out his senior year of high school because his teammates didn’t want him on the team decides to transfer .
I kinda saw this coming when he never got into the game last night (that I'm aware of) even with the past seasons 2 deep in street clothes. I want to say Choice knows wtf he's doing since both Bijan and Rojo always mention him first among the people they thank for their success..but Blue was great depth at RB even if he was never going to be featured.

Having said that, depth at RB can likely be found in the portal, losing JWhitt (only WR who can catch a contested ball) and Jaylon Ford are much bigger concerns. Worthy? I've seen enough tbh..not gonna shed a tear if he's replaced with a slower receiver that has good hands and ball tracking ability.

Does Whittington even get drafted? For all his potential coming into the program he just kind of seemed like a college level JAG this season. Stepped up and made some big plays, made a few errors, and mostly was just kinda there. 

No he doesn’t. Synopsis is spot on.

Bump to page 2.  Like having a large amount of 2023 Early Enrollees  (D.Moore is signed)

Screenshot_20221221-072739_kindlephoto-15591468.png

Since we have seen struggles at WR during the 2022 season, having J.Cook and D.Moore this spring is great. 

Time for Coach Marion to bust his ass and get his WR room ready for the 2023 season.  Disappointing 1st year for Coach Marion 

Edited by LTtxfan
typo

10 hours ago, TheMailBox357 said:
Spoiler

Last year it was written Steve Sarkisian simply needed to improve the program incrementally across the board. He accomplished that, and now he needs to do it again. If he does, we’ll be witnessing a genuine program rebuild rather than a spirited attempt.

The reason we reached out for sourcing for this article was so we could write a more thorough offseason checklist. Many of the aspects listed would have made our list without sourcing, but there’s also some more interesting insider notes interspersed. 

Sourcing is in quotes. IT’s follow-up notes and comments are in parenthesis. 

“They need to solidify the running back position and they need more depth at receiver on offense.” 

(Jonathon Brooks and Cedric Baxter will play a lot, but in my opinion they need a third volume back based on the Alamo Bowl. Preferably one who can get tough yards and move the pile.)

“We need two receiver options along with some double tights to compliment our ability to stretch the field. You need a replacement for Karic. I believe it is Neto or Agbo but Neto can play on the edge better than Agbo. Not sure we have the WR on campus currently to do that (stretch the field). Cook will have a chance to play early and add depth to that room right away. Neyor makes an instant impact if he can come back healthy.” 

(The clock is beginning to tick a little on portal additions. Things need to pick up soon. At last check Texas was still poised to add at least one wide receiver. I love using a large, athletic offensive lineman as a blocking tight end. It keeps the player engaged and acclimates him to playing against opposing defensive lines.)

“The OL will solidify with four starters and DJ Campbell. Shift that group around and get them reps together. We need to be a little tougher and find our identity whether it’s run heavy or pass. We need both but add consistency for both.”

(There’s going to be a lot of competition on the offensive line this offseason. In addition to the above, coaches need to drill better discipline. We saw far too many mistakes and pre-snap penalties. I also agree for the need to become more physical up front, particularly in the interior. Robust competition allows Kyle Flood to better address all these issues.)

“Defensively they will be good. Big up front but they do need a better pass rush. They need a safety in the portal and one of the young linebackers to be real good.”

(They have so many Edges to develop I’m not too worried about the position next year. Jalen Catalon will visit Texas this weekend. He comes with risks due to his injury history but he may be too good to pass up. A healthy Catalon lined up with Jerrin Thompson is one of the best safety duos in the country. As for linebacker, the options are numerous. It’s a hard position to play early but Will is much more manageable than Mike, and the young players will have Jaylan Ford to guide them, assuming Ford returns.)

“They also need to stop dancing around the players that want to leave for NIL. If they have NIL FOMO (fear of missing out) let them leave so they know who is committed and who is not.”

(Managing NIL is one of the most difficult tasks for the modern coaching staff. Finding the balance between practicality and not creating divas can be difficult.)

From another source with a different take on NIL.

“They need to make sure players on defense are taken care of. They didn’t have much value last year but they do now.” 

(Other sources indicate this concern is being addressed.)

“They need to be more careful about who they bring into the program. Some of them may be talented players but they’re terrible outside of football.” 

(This appears to have been addressed with Sarkisian having more leverage thanks to quality roster development and exceptional recruiting. Sark bringing in a couple of malcontents was somewhat defensible given roster needs. It’s much less so now and he seems to be acting accordingly.)

“Quarterback needs to be more consistent.” 

(This is pretty obvious but the Alamo Bowl offered some QB play will be more consistent if Sark continues to carve out an offensive identity that yields a more comfortable, confident quarterback)

The offseason certainly has its warts, but if you appreciate roster management, player development, and program building, the offseason can be enjoyable if the work carries over to the field. Last offseason did cary over to the field. I believe this one will, too.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 12/25/2022 at 7:29 PM, LTtxfan said:

huge thanks to @AP101S 

Link to updated roster includes 2023 Class 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TzoBTIvCXfZIk7Sz3C9txMg0yPvrXyVM/edit#gid=1253781136

For cross reference @AP101S

Just saw another roster matrix.  

https://www.burntorangenation.com/2022/12/23/23524348/texas-longhorns-early-signing-day-recuriting-2023-roster-matrix-ovie-oghoufo

Edited by LTtxfan

12 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

There were a few minor differences (position groupings, who is on the fence on NFL), but in each case my version was best.

• Like 1

Freshmen expectations for Texas' 14 early enrollees

Eric Nahlin• about 12 hours ago

A whopping 14 members of UT’s No. 3 recruiting class are early enrollees who will begin trickling into Austin starting today. Expectations are obviously high for a class headlined by elite talents such as Arch Manning, Johntay Cook, Cedric Baxter, Malik Muhammad, Anthony Hill, Sydir MItchell, and so many more. Amazingly, each just mentioned are part of the early enrollee class, meaning in addition to being top talents, they’re also getting a jumpstart on their college development

While excitement is justifiably high for this group, fan expectations should be somewhat tempered, at least initially. Sure, there’s plenty of opportunity for playing time for the freshmen, but most have more seasoned players ahead of them. Still, many will carve out an important role next season, especially at linebacker, receiver, and running back.

Let’s take a look at each, with only freshmen expectations in mind.

Arch Manning, QB, New Orleans (La.) Isidore Newman: Manning could play as a freshman but there likely won’t be a need and redshirting has always been the plan. He’ll be a great influence in the quarterback room with his studious habits, football intelligence, and competitiveness.

Cedric Baxter Jr., RB, Orlando (Fla.) Edgewater: Baxter will play early, not only because he’s an elite talent with college ready size, the roster necessitates it. There aren’t many bodies to begin with, and he’ll possess the most power and between-the-tackles ability the day he arrives. 120+ carries next year sounds about right.

Johntay Cook II, WR, DeSoto (Texas): Cook is already technically savvy with the confidence of a college upperclassmen. He should find his way into the rotation early and make his share of plays next year before becoming a dominant player. I’ll be curious to hear how well he blocks this spring.

DeAndre Moore, WR, Los Alamitos (Ca.) St. John Bosco: He has safety toughness and a good, sturdy build. I like him as an inside receiver more than outside. He will be ready to play as a freshman but his path to the field won’t be as clear as Cook’s.

Jaydon Chatman, OL, Killeen (Texas) Harker Heights, Connor Stroh, IOL, Frisco (Texas) Wakeland, Andre Cojoe, IOL, Mansfield (Texas) Timberview, Payton Kirkland, OT/IOL, Orlando (Fla.) Dr. Phillips: Healthy programs redshirt their O-line and that’s the expectation with these four, though Chatman *could* probably play early if needed. Stroh will continue his transition to Paul Bunyan. Cojoe turns just 17 this month. Kirkland is the biggest and could also potentially play as a freshman — if he was needed. Barring injuries these guys will get time to properly develop. The position requires a lot of development: mentally, physically, and technically.

Sydir Mitchell, DL, Oradell (N.J.) Bergen Catholic: T’Vondre Sweat returning was a huge win for the program but Texas will still miss Keondre Coburn. After a full winter conditioning and offseason program I could easily see Mitchell logging 20 snaps a game next year to help make up for the loss of Snacks.

Colton Vasek, EDGE, Austin (Texas) Westlake: Vasek has the physicality and technical ability to play as a freshman but he’ll have some capable players ahead of him, namely Barryn Sorrell and Jaray Bledsoe. A role in his freshman year similar to his former high school teammate, Ethan Burke, makes sense.

Anthony Hill, LB, Denton (Texas) Ryan: He’ll definitely play and possibly start.   Ian Boyd breaks down Hill’s chances to replace DeMarvion Overshown here. 

Derion Gullette, LB, Teague (Texas): Gullette tore his ACL last summer and is still rehabbing. It’s a major positive he can complete that rehab under the oversight of a college program. He needs a lot of mental reps at linebacker which he’ll get this year but expect him to redshirt. It’s one thing to heal, it’s another to get back to playing comfortably and playing fast.

Liona Lefau, LB, Kahuku (Hawaii): Perhaps the most underrated player in the class. Lefau will definitely play and possibly start. Where as Hill more aptly fits Will linebacker, Lefau’s traits transfer well to Mike. Of course that’s Jaylan Ford’s position, but Lefau will likely get a look at Will as well due to need.

Malik Muhammad, CB, Dallas (Texas) South Oak Cliff: Muhammad is the mirror opposite of Johntay Cook. Like Cook, Muhammad is also confident, technically savvy, and smooth. Neither are big, but they play big and their frames are filling out. Those two will make each other better day in and day out. I expect Muhammad to play as a freshman even if Texas already has good corner options. He’ll have the best cover corner traits in the program upon arrival.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Red Five said:

OL will be interesting. Lots of different ways they could go. I think the only guaranteed starters at this point would be Banks, Jones, and I suppose Campbell. 

As much as I’d like to see some of the young, high-profile guys in the lineup, I just can’t see Hutson, Majors and Conner starting all this year and then being backups next year.  I would like to see more of a rotation at the guard positions at least to keep these guys engaged. 

Definitely need to not target Worthy 113 times next year and spread the ball around. Only three WR’s had double digit targets last year.  If that continues this year with Whittington coming back and the talent coming in we will definitely see a few transfer WR’s next year. We get the same Worthy as last year coming back, it might be better overall if he just transfers. 

• Like 2

Unless, Quinn can totally fix his deep ball accuracy struggles, I hope we can make it a major focus to target Whittington, Sanders, and Cain on intermediate routes much more often. Those types of throws are already Quinn’s sweet spot. Let’s emphasize that.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sock Monkey said:

Unless, Quinn can totally fix his deep ball accuracy struggles, I hope we can make it a major focus to target Whittington, Sanders, and Cain on intermediate routes much more often. Those types of throws are already Quinn’s sweet spot. Let’s emphasize that.

Dont forget Neyor

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Sock Monkey said:

17 minutes ago, markstanco said:

Dont forget Neyor

9 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

And Cook.

see-these-seth-meyers.gif

• Haha 1

Definitely need to not target Worthy 113 times next year and spread the ball around. Only three WR’s had double digit targets last year.  If that continues this year with Whittington coming back and the talent coming in we will definitely see a few transfer WR’s next year. We get the same Worthy as last year coming back, it might be better overall if he just transfers. 

We get same Worthy as last year and he doesn't get any significant bench time, would not be a good sign for those in the hope category.

1 hour ago, TheMailBox357 said:

*The mid-year signees are trickling in starting yesterday and going through Saturday. The returning players return to Austin the first day of school which is January 9. 

*The first week of the freshman/players being on campus will be open weight room. The players use the week to get back into the day-to-day operations after a short break while the S&C staff gets familiar with the new arrivals and vice versa.

*New players mean new jersey numbers. We expect to see Arch Manning wearing No. 16 and Johntay Cook to get No. 2, formerly Roschon Johnson’s over the last four years.

*To say the staff is excited about the new arrivals is an understatement. It’s believed last year’s early enrollees benefited tremendously and this year the players arriving are closer to being ready to see the field. It helps that so many of the new arrivals are elite players.

*Freshmen leadership will likely be better than at any other point. Manning has leadership attributes, Baxter is a lead-by-example type, and Cook’s work ethic and competitive nature is contagious. Then you see Anthony Hill Jr, Colton Vasek, and Manny Muhammad on the other side, and you have a lot of guys who were leaders within winning programs. 

*If Quinn Ewers looked a little quicker vs Washington, it might’ve been the weight loss. Since the Baylor game, Ewers started watching his diet closer and it made him a tick quicker on the field a month later. He made plays with his legs, something he also did in high school, for the first time in Austin. Sources expect Ewers to make a significant jump in 2023 and focusing on his diet is certainly a great sign of how he views this offseason.

*Yet another source was asked what Texas needed to do to improve over the offseason. His response, “continue to improve the culture, finally achieve complementary football, and develop more leaders.” When asked which players are ready to take a larger leadership role, the source replied, “Jonathon Brooks, T’Vondre Sweat, and Morice Blackwell. Jahdae Barron will be one, too.” This offseason will decide who truly steps up in their leadership roles, but it’s clear Texas at least has a number of candidates.

*Finally, there’s a good chance Christian Jones will return to the program. Word is his draft grade wasn’t what he’d hope and he believes he can improve it by utilizing his Covid year.

Another IT poster states Ford should announce his return shortly.

• Like 2

Anyone get the feeling Quinn was injured most of the second half of the year and the team just never disclosed it? The way he digressed just didn’t make sense to me. Like missing simple ass throws. He looked much crisper overall against Washington. Excited to see him healthy with more weapons on offense. As for Worthy, hope he uses this offseason to become an absolute animal. I hope his bowl performance pisses him off and he busts his ass this spring/summer. Maybe that was the reality check he needed to take his game/attitude to the next level.🤘🏼

• Hook 'Em 2