RIP Coach Gustafson

TexEx15

Damn, the former pope, Barbra Walters and then the third Coach Gus, coulda been anyone else but he had to be the third. Shit. I kid.

I met him once at a wedding. I said something about how I learned to love Texas baseball watching his teams play, he said it was nice to meet you but I’m going to sit back down my knee hurts. He was an old man by then didn’t seem to interested. I was still happy to have shook his hand.

Spike Owen and Billy Bates were the two that got me going. Going to games, listening on the radio with my parents. Watching the College World Series back in the early days of ESPN. It was then that I fell in love with Texas baseball. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Coach Gus would have had another CWS Championship but for that bullshit, made for TV, single game "championship" given to Wichita State in 1989 when Texas was dominant and undefeated and Shockers already had one loss going into the "championship" game.

I've told this story before, but that was at the end of my first year in law school, so I wasn't paying close attention to baseball or the tournament.  I tuned in to watch, saw us lose and WSU going apeshit and was mightily, mightily confused, and then pissed.

RIP Coach.  Had a lot of fun watching your teams.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

So sad to hear the passing of a great man. Coach Gus was a legend and a Texas baseball institution. Always loved watching the Longhorns baseball teams he had make their runs. Like someone posted earlier in this thread, fuck that 1989 series. I really thought that team was going to bring it home. Either way rest in peace coach Gus, retire that #18 I miss seeing over there at 3rd and the field. 

15 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I've told this story before, but that was at the end of my first year in law school, so I wasn't paying close attention to baseball or the tournament.  I tuned in to watch, saw us lose and WSU going apeshit and was mightily, mightily confused, and then pissed.

RIP Coach.  Had a lot of fun watching your teams.

My 72 year old father still mentions that game and the "one game" bullshit to this day when we watch Texas play. I still remember him being just as confused and just as pissed when he realized. 

🤘Hook'em, Coach Gus!

#GusBall

• Hook 'Em 1

I grew up in Bryan and every year my dad would get tickets to any game Texas played at Olsen Field. Then every few years the SWC tournament would be there and we would get tickets for the entire tournament.

I always wanted to play baseball for Texas but realized late in high school I wasn’t good enough to play at that level. 

I will always remember watching coach Gus slow walk from the dugout to the 3rd base coaches box hands in his back pockets with a big wad of chaw in his cheek. What a great memory that is for me. RIP coach Gus. Thanks for the childhood memories watching the greatest college baseball teams kick Aggy ass. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Hope LHN televises and the video board is working.

The family of Cliff Gustafson will hold a celebration of the life of the legendary Texas baseball coach next week at UFCU Disch-Falk Field. Gustafson died early Monday of congestive heart failure at age 91.

The services will be held at 3 p.m. on Jan. 12 at the stadium where Gustafson recorded many of his 1,466 victories as the then-winningest coach in college baseball history. He coached for 29 seasons and won two national championships and 22 Southwest Conference titles.

The funeral will be open to the public — “even Aggies,” his daughters said — and will be followed by a reception at the Cliff Gustafson Pavilion in the right-field stands. Coach Gus, as he was known to Longhorn Nation, will be laid to rest at the Texas State Cemetery in a private family ceremony at a later date, his daughter Jill Gustafson Balderama said.

Associate Pastor Ken Baldwin of the Real Life church in Austin will preside over the service. The three Kyle sisters will provide the music. Former Longhorns Keith Moreland and Ty Harrington will eulogize Gustafson and his grandson, Scott Shepperd, will speak on behalf of the family.

University rules do not allow a casket on campus, so the family will choose to display his No. 18 jersey at home plate.

Afterward, Gustafson’s daughter Jann Gustafson Shepperd said, “Yeah, (Texas baseball coach) David Pierce should probably just have a scrimmage on the field. Daddy would like that.”

Following the ceremony, Longhorns super-fan Scott Wilson will lead the crowd in a rendition of “The Eyes of Texas” as Longhorn Nation says goodbye to a legend.

https://www.statesman.com/story/sports/college/baseball/2023/01/04/former-texas-coach-cliff-gustafson-funeral-services-disch-falk-field/69778836007/

Edited by torre
  • Hook 'Em 2

I was raised on Gus Ball and learned how simple fundamentals could influence the outcome of a game.  My late father, who graduated from South San in ‘59, would always regale us with stories of how Coach Gus and the South San players would out coach, out hustle and out smart more talented teams to win several state championships.  My first trip to Disch-Falk Field was in 1976 to see South San play a state championship game against Duncanville and I was hooked.  The aura that is Texas Baseball and Coach Gustafson consumed me.  I followed every pitch, every hit and ever out from then on out.  I, too, graduated from South San in ‘86 and knew from a very young age that my South San Bobcats owed their identity to our basketball coach, Jimmy Littleton Sr., and even more so to baseball coach Cliff Gustafson.  It was a true honor when South San, again, made it to the state baseball championship game in ‘91 against Brazoswood and Coach Gus was in attendance at the game.  Since the ‘70’s, South San’s home stadium has been named Burrows Field.  Thankfully, in 2008, the South San Antonio ISD renamed the baseball stadium Burrows-Gustafson Field and presented Coach Gus a plaque memorializing the 50th anniversary of his first state championship at South San.  Here’s to hoping the UT administration will rename the stadium UFCU Disch-Falk-Gustafson Field and the baseball stadium after Coach Garrido.

• Hook 'Em 1

KXAN reports service will be televised on LHN.     It is on the TV guide this morning.

The service for former Texas baseball coach Cliff Gustafson, who died Jan. 2 at 91 years old, is set for 3 p.m. at UFCU Disch-Falk Field. The doors will open at 2:30 p.m. and the service will be broadcast on Longhorn Network.

https://www.kxan.com/sports-general/horns-report/celebration-of-life-for-coach-gus-set-for-jan-12/

I’m going.  Only watched him coach one season and met him briefly years later.  But so many people I like and respect loved the man.  Plus never been to a funeral at a baseball diamond.  Gonna go tip my cap to a legend.  To think our Mount Rushmore of baseball coaches may as well be the Mount Rushmore of all of college baseball.  We are blessed.  And Coach Gus was a blessing.  

• Hook 'Em 2

On 1/2/2023 at 3:51 PM, jimmyjazz said:

I'm not sure how many cans of beer I saw getting tossed into the bleachers near the right field foul pole, but it wasn't just a few.  I might have participated.

I definitely did.  We once somehow snuck in a whole case of beer for a doubleheader against Tech.  After a while, we started dropping the empties into the Tech bullpen and some of their pitchers told on us.  An usher came up to check it out and we told him that there were already a bunch of empty beer cans in our seats when we sat down and that the wind must have been blowing them into the bullpen.  The usher thanked us and told us to be on the lookout for guys throwing beer cans into the bullpen.  

• Haha 3

Brooks Kieschnick told great story at funeral on his verbal commitment to Miss State.

Deron Gustafson (son, and asst coach) called Brooks first and offered him a Univ of Texas scholarship, and Brooks thanked him but said he had already committed (not signed).  

Five minutes later Coach Gus calls and says he understands Brooks has committed to Miss State.  Gus then says to Brooks let's say you went into a Cadillac dealership and tell them you'll be back tomorrow to buy car for $20K.  Later that day another dealership offers you that car for $15K... "Brooks what are yah gonna do?"

Brooks tells Coach Gus: "I would probably go buy the $15K Cadillac."

Coach Gus:  "That's right, you take the better deal which is what I am offering.  So you need to come to Texas, right?"

Brooks:  "Yes sir.  I'll call Miss State coach and let him know."  🤘

• Hook 'Em 5

Was really blown away by how many former players traveled from all across the country to be there today.  Really inspiring.  I'll post some pics later but all I could think of was, "Tell me it's more than just a game without telling me it's more than just a game."  I had to leave early to watch our youngest while the oldest went to practice.  But the turnout was really neat to see.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Good to see Sark at the celebration of Gus' life.       Link is worth a read.

USC and El Camino College baseball[edit]

After a standout baseball and football career at West High School in Torrance, California, Sarkisian's size (6', 165 lb) did not attract any college football offers. He began his collegiate athletic career in 1992 at the University of Southern California (USC) as a non-scholarship middle infielder on the Trojans baseball team. He struggled playing NCAA Division I baseball and transferred after a semester to El Camino College, a two-year community college adjacent to his hometown of Torrance, where he played shortstop.

steve sarkisian wiki - Search (bing.com)

Texas football coach Steve Sarkisian greets Jill Balderama, Cliff Gustafson's daughter, at Thursday's celebration of life at UFCU Disch-Falk Field. Gustafson coached the Longhorns for 29 years.

Cliff Gustafson remembered as baseball icon, family man, music lover (statesman.com)

12 hours ago, closetohumping said:

image.thumb.png.dc5dfd89ecf7615bf3eaadf4c73931de.png

was going to post this.  I love Coach Harmon.  He hates the fucking aggies.  nothing better back in the day than going to college station and having all of those hayseed fucks lined up on both sides of the bus when you walk into the stadium yelling the most horrible shit as us and then shutting them the fuck up and smiling at them on the walk out.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/2/2023 at 8:09 PM, DalTxHornFan said:

Coach Gus would have had another CWS Championship but for that bullshit, made for TV, single game "championship" given to Wichita State in 1989 when Texas was dominant and undefeated and Shockers already had one loss going into the "championship" game.

I've always blamed Brent Musberger for that bullshit.  It was CBS Sports that insisted on the 1-game championship.  F the NCAA for going along.