the 2023 speaker of the house voting thread of implosion

henrygandorf

So the one thing I can’t reconcile regarding the Democrat strategy here is dealing with the MaGA goons. Shouldn’t the strategy be something that significantly weakens the maga team? I’m actually struggling to figure out the best path forward from their perspective. 

Just now, Dbeasy said:

So the one thing I can’t reconcile regarding the Democrat strategy here is dealing with the MaGA goons. Shouldn’t the strategy be something that significantly weakens the maga team? I’m actually struggling to figure out the best path forward from their perspective. 

The best thing for the country would be for the "normie" Republicans to decide that the insane MAGA cult is not worth coddling anymore.  

It won't happen, obviously, but stuff like this really puts it front and center.

• Hook 'Em 4

8 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

The best thing for the country would be for the "normie" Republicans to decide that the insane MAGA cult is not worth coddling anymore.  

It won't happen, obviously, but stuff like this really puts it front and center.

Thats what I’m struggling with. If you look at what’s best for this country, there is no question that keeping MCarthy and helping him obliterate the maga would be in the best interest of the country overall. But, it may not be what’s best for Democrats in terms of winning elections in the future. Tough call. 

Edited by Dbeasy

7 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

How much of a difference do you think there really is between normies and MAGAs? The Republican hate engine created MAGA, relied on MAGA, and controlled MAGA until Trump stepped in and seized the reins. MAGA is just the hate engine gone nudist public.

They just care that it's embarrassing to have it so public. They can't do without it and couldn't separate from it even if they wanted to.

It's who they are.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

Just now, Dbeasy said:

Thats what I’m struggling with. If you look at what’s best for this country, there is no question that keeping MCarthy and helping him obliterate the would be in the best interest of the country overall. But, it may not be what’s best for Democrats in terms of winning elections in the future. Tough call. 

I disagree.  Democrats saving McCarthy proves that the MAGA lunatics can do whatever they want because Democrats will always swoop in as the voice of sanity.  Letting Republicans deal with their own mess is the only way (as unlikely as it may be) for some of them to see the light and squash the parasite.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, RomaVicta said:

How much of a difference do you think there really is between normies and MAGAs? The Republican hate engine created MAGA, relied on MAGA, and controlled MAGA until Trump stepped in and seized the reins. MAGA is just the hate engine gone nudist public.

They just care that it's embarrassing to have it so public. They can't do without it and couldn't separate from it even if they wanted to.

It's who they are.

I think there are plenty of them who hate the MAGA movement but are forced to play along in public.  And until now, there really hasn't been any consequence for them.

I agree with you that they now rely on it, but it isn't Democrats job to figure this out for them.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Chuckie Finster said:

I think there are plenty of them who hate the MAGA movement but are forced to play along in public.  And until now, there really hasn't been any consequence for them.

I agree with you that they now rely on it, but it isn't Democrats job to figure this out for them.

Only a handful will face any consequences. The rest will thrive under continued maga regimes. It's why they refuse to oust their god king and continue to kiss his ass despite everything we know, including John Kelly's latest reveals about how truly unamerican he is in his beliefs. I mean, the "Support our Troops" crowd is now supportive of shitting on war heros because only losers get captured. There's no coming back from that world once you've trained half the voters to play along. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Sometime this month, at an uncle's birthday party or when they bring their kids over to trick-or-treat in your neighborhood because it's more white than their own...your relatives are gonna remind you that because of Joe Biden...America is just not as respected anymore around the globe.  And remember this week.  The bow  to Saud, the saluting of North Korean warmongers, being laughed at while attending G7 and UN events...the colossal embarrassment that is Donald Trump.  And on top of all that...our horrific reputation around the world...our own ruling party of the People's House got into this insane pissing contest with one another over the dumbest shit with the stupidest people to fuck up our reserve currency status and trip over ourselves to put crazier and crazier people into leadership.  While the main guy is on trial for pretending he lives in a home worth $18 billion, a footnote that probably would have come up before had it been even remotely true.  And oh yeah, a fucking four-toed failure is gonna try to out hand-job Boebert this week at a Chuck-E-Cheese in Macon, GA.  

I've also started a rumor at the Texas Capitol that Dan Patrick will be named Speaker because there's no constitutiional clause that says the person has to be a current Rep.  I'm pretty sure I can have armed stupids downtown by this evening ready to open fire on DPS because they're all that stands between Patriotic Texans for Liberty and McCarthy's adherence to liberal cabals.  Seriously, if we tried for 15 minutes, we could have these people murdering one another by OU kickoff.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

.your relatives are gonna remind you that because of Joe Biden...America is just not as respected anymore around the globe. 

You know your countrymen. They've been playing this card since Carter. It's almost quaint in its level of despicability.

14 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

I disagree.  Democrats saving McCarthy proves that the MAGA lunatics can do whatever they want because Democrats will always swoop in as the voice of sanity.  Letting Republicans deal with their own mess is the only way (as unlikely as it may be) for some of them to see the light and squash the parasite.

This is a really good point. 

24 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

The exact same thing in Texas - why should I, a Democrat, go vote in a GOP primary to oust Cruz? The GOP has to clean up its own mess. Not me. 

• Hook 'Em 3

56 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

So the one thing I can’t reconcile regarding the Democrat strategy here is dealing with the MaGA goons. Shouldn’t the strategy be something that significantly weakens the maga team?...

If they were wanting a best outcome for a functional House, yes.  If they are wanting the best outcome for strife and division in the Republican party, not so much.

21 minutes ago, Js1 said:

The exact same thing in Texas - why should I, a Democrat, go vote in a GOP primary to oust Cruz? The GOP has to clean up its own mess. Not me. 

Yeah, 'cause that's how politics work nowadays.  Here's you waiting for the Texas GOP to clean up Cruz and the rest of the clusterfuck:

You folks get 200,000 fellow citizens to pull "R" primary ballots and most of this comes to a screeching halt.  And right quick.  But yeah, good luck in the general.  I almost said that with a straight face.  Sometimes adults can't wait for the kids to clean up the mess.  Sometimes we gotta do the dirty shit ourselves. I used to vote on principal too.  then I developed a taste for blood.  It's a hard drug to kick.  

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Are we not assuming that McCarthy has whispered the name in the envelope to one or both sides so they know what they’re voting for?

he’s awfully cavalier calling everyone’s bluff- is he bluffing them?

I’ve got five on it that he wrote his own name in as his replacement. 

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Js1 said:

25 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

For the fun of it?

Satisfaction of voting against Cruz twice in one year?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

Chaos, IMO. The longer it drags, the more we could end up with a consensus candidate. 

The worse the GOP looks here for indies and soft Dems, the better. The low IQ MAGA will blame no one but Biden/RINOs/Pelosi regardless. 

I’ve seen Scalise’s name floated, but he’s fighting cancer. I doubt he could handle the stress of being speaker of the kindergarten 

He definitely has a shot.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

So the three names i'm hearing today are Steve Scalise, Chip Roy, and Donald Trump.  Two of them have cancer, One of them should get cancer, and all three are a cancer.  I have that right?  Is there like a 5K we can get organized by this weekend to see them all get cured and then die of malaria?  

34 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Ah yes, the rep that says there's nothing to be done about school shootings and when asked about his own kids, said he homeschools them.

Called his office after that and told them that I thank the Representative for standing up for the 2nd amendment. Because as a father of an elementary school-aged child like those killed in Newtown, Uvalde, and Nashville, there is nothing more precious to me in this world than my guns.

His staffer did not seem to appreciate that. 

Edited by FirstTimeCaller

8 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Ah yes, the rep that says there's nothing to be done about school shootings and when asked about his own kids, said he homeschools them.

Called his office after that and told them that I thank the Representative for standing up for the 2nd amendment. Because as a father of an elementary school-aged child like those killed in Newtown, Uvalde, and Nashville, there is nothing more precious to me in this world than my guns.

His staffer did not seem to appreciate that. 

Username checks out.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I think I'd vote to abstain.  At least at first.

We all abstain, at first.  Then some of us got cool and rode our BMX over to the cute chick's place to do some finger-banging.  

Wait, what are we talking about?  Dissolving our government?  Cool.  Cool. 

I just remembered from 9th grade government class, the Speaker of the House is behind the VP in the line of succession.  So if Kevin put ol' Donny in that spot, all of a sudden Trump is 2 people away from the Oval Office. 

They better have Biden and Harris in extreme security right now. 

There's only 425 in the House today (2 vacancies, 8 absences in the first attendance check), so he can only afford to lose 5. If all Dems vote aye (207), So far there's 4 - PedoGaetz, Crane, Goode, Burchett.  Biggs is a mystery and Buck was on TV bitching about McCarthy.  So it's going to be close. 

Edited by Js1

7 minutes ago, miguelito said:

I just remembered from 9th grade government class, the Speaker of the House is behind the VP in the line of succession.  So if Kevin put ol' Donny in that spot, all of a sudden Trump is 2 people away from the Oval Office. 

They better have Biden and Harris in extreme security right now. 

You just remembered that?  Our first clue should have been three-fold this morning.  Trump's attorneys inquired about trial delays if he has official Speaker business as head of our Congress?  second, VP Harris' SS detail was doubled this morning.  Third, the sec. of State's trip to UT-Austin tomorrow has been temporarily suspended due to questions of succession.  Though it is expected to be resolved by tomorrow morning.  

Remember though, Trump made us stronger and more respected around the world.  Despite the fact we are about to enter a 36-hour circus.