the 2023 speaker of the house voting thread of implosion

henrygandorf

1 minute ago, LCHorn said:

So if he’s removed they still need to figure out a replacement, right?  Is there some candidate for this that we think is an improvement and that can win?

From what I just read:

They will appoint a Speaker Pro Tem from McCarthy's super secret list and then will recess to go to conference.  Which will be in and of itself a massive shitshow, since 90% of the caucus is now full on pissed about what the 10% just did. 

Edited by Js1

1 minute ago, LCHorn said:

So if he’s removed they still need to figure out a replacement, right?  Is there some candidate for this that we think is an improvement and that can win?

Yeah --- are they going to try to vote someone in today?  What is timing?  

Seeing JS1 post...  please ignore.

Edited by A-Tex Devil

3 minutes ago, immamac said:

lol, he's fucked and all of you are trying to figure out ways to think we are still on the derailed timeline. We are back on the tracks. 

I mean, we're still turbo fucked, but this is some fun infighting to watch, until they elect another loon and restart their impeachment and border nonsense again. 

17 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

You two have it backwards. She walked him down to the ladies room and gave him a good pegging. Hence the "for now." He's probably do up again in an hour. 

Are you sure she didn't say "for now this" hoping our old surly friend becomes speaker?

8 minutes ago, Js1 said:

From what I just read:

They will appoint a Speaker Pro Tem from McCarthy's super secret list and then will recess to go to conference.  Which will be in and of itself a massive shitshow, since 90% of the caucus is now full on pissed about what the 10% just did. 

Wait. So techincally McCarthy has already picked his temporary replacement? If he's a McCarthy ally, and I assume he/she would be, they should literally immediately take up call to fucking cut the Freedom Caucus from committees and just exsanguinate those fucks right from the start. Then maybe get around to a new speaker. 

2 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

why would pelosi no show?

Yeah, lets make this about Pelosi and Democrats not doing their duty...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1
  • Drool 1

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

Wait. So techincally McCarthy has already picked his temporary replacement?

This has literally never happened in history.  But the Speaker Pro Tempore list has only been a thing since 2003, for continuity of government purposes (thanks a lot, Bin Laden)

Since 2003, House rules have required the speaker to submit a list of names to the clerk of members to act in the case of his or her vacancy. According to Rule I, clause 8 of the House rules, the next person on that list “shall act as Speaker pro tempore until the election of a Speaker or a Speaker pro tempore.” So whoever is first on McCarthy's list would take over as speaker in an acting capacity.

Just now, Js1 said:

This has literally never happened in history.  But the Speaker Pro Tempore list has only been a thing since 2003, for continuity of government purposes (thanks a lot, Bin Laden)

Since 2003, House rules have required the speaker to submit a list of names to the clerk of members to act in the case of his or her vacancy. According to Rule I, clause 8 of the House rules, the next person on that list “shall act as Speaker pro tempore until the election of a Speaker or a Speaker pro tempore.” So whoever is first on McCarthy's list would take over as speaker in an acting capacity.

literally a fucking mystery box - and it could be ANYONE, not just a member of congress that could be named. Here there be fucking dragons

8 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

McHenry is ideological enough to satisfy the caucus and has the strongest tactical skills of the current leadership team (including the credibility to work with Jeffries), but he won't get the job. 

Just now, Captainant said:

literally a fucking mystery box - and it could be ANYONE, not just a member of congress that could be named. Here there be fucking dragons

Can it? it says names to the clerk of MEMBERS

Vacancy

The Office of Speaker may be declared vacant by resolution, which 
  may be offered as a matter of privilege. Manual Sec. 315; 6 Cannon 
  Sec. 35. Under rule I clause 8(b)(3), adopted in the 108th Congress, 
  the Speaker is required to deliver to the Clerk a list of Members in 
  the order in which each shall act as Speaker pro tempore in the case 
  of a vacancy in the Office of Speaker. The Member acting as Speaker 
  pro tempore under this provision may exercise such authorities of the 
  Office of Speaker as may be necessary and appropriate pending the 
  election of a Speaker or Speaker pro tempore. A vacancy in the Office 
  may exist by reason of the physical inability of the Speaker to 
  discharge the duties of the Office.

Just now, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

fuck off. i forgot fienstein died and was trying to figure out her angle for not being at a very consequential vote. 

Hard to believe that happened A FEW DAYS AGO.  And not what feels like 3 months ago already. 

• Hook 'Em 1

"Pro Tempore"?  That sounds some Latino-Spanish mumbo-jumbo!  SECURE THE BORDER!

-MTG 

This is utterly and totally an international disgrace.  You MAGA "FISCAL CONSERVATIvES" know that the bond rating agencies are watching this and trying to figure out what the fuck to do.  

The second most powerful person in the government of the most powerful nation in human history is having to cut deals with people who had to cheat on the GED and their cabana boys to secure his ruling coalition.  People get killed over shit dumber than this.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Can it? it says names to the clerk of MEMBERS

Vacancy

The Office of Speaker may be declared vacant by resolution, which 
  may be offered as a matter of privilege. Manual Sec. 315; 6 Cannon 
  Sec. 35. Under rule I clause 8(b)(3), adopted in the 108th Congress, 
  the Speaker is required to deliver to the Clerk a list of Members in 
  the order in which each shall act as Speaker pro tempore in the case 
  of a vacancy in the Office of Speaker. The Member acting as Speaker 
  pro tempore under this provision may exercise such authorities of the 
  Office of Speaker as may be necessary and appropriate pending the 
  election of a Speaker or Speaker pro tempore. A vacancy in the Office 
  may exist by reason of the physical inability of the Speaker to 
  discharge the duties of the Office.

Dear sweat baby jesus, let it be Nancy Pelosi!

• Haha 4

Just now, DDD Dad said:

What was she in the news for previously?  Flip flop on abortion or something?

Don't forget when she called AOC a liar for claiming to be in danger on Jan 6.  After Mace tweeted she had to evacuate her own office. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

fuck off. i forgot fienstein died and was trying to figure out her angle for not being at a very consequential vote. 

Jesus, man, I forgot Feinstein died too. That's not what I mocked you. As I said, on any topic, your first intepretation is the worst possible one, consistently. And you know what, he presence in this vote doesn't mean SHIT. It took 6 to vacate the speaker. With all the democrats voting to vacate, there were over 200 votes to fuck McCarthy. I honestly don't give a shit if her and 20 other Dems were doing blow at a bar down the street. But with all the news of what's happening, your first thought is "Oh shit, but Pelosi?!?!?!" I find it bizarre. But we see you do it with this, Texas Football, war in Ukraine, etc. 

This may have been a consequential vote, but Pelosi's or anyone else's vote is of no conseqence. 

Edited by SydneyCarton