the 2023 speaker of the house voting thread of implosion

henrygandorf

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

Jesus, man, I forgot Feinstein died too. That's not what I mocked you. As I said, on any topic, your first intepretation is the worst possible one, consistently. And you know what, he presence in this vote doesn't mean SHIT. It took 6 to vacate the speaker. With all the democrats voting to vacate, there were over 200 votes to fuck McCarthy. I honestly don't give a shit if her and 20 other Dems were doing blow at a bar down the street. But with all the news of what's happening, your first thought is "Oh shit, but Pelosi?!?!?!" I find it bizarre. But we see you do it with this, Texas Football, war in Ukraine, etc. 

put me on ignore

7 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Can it? it says names to the clerk of MEMBERS

Vacancy

The Office of Speaker may be declared vacant by resolution, which 
  may be offered as a matter of privilege. Manual Sec. 315; 6 Cannon 
  Sec. 35. Under rule I clause 8(b)(3), adopted in the 108th Congress, 
  the Speaker is required to deliver to the Clerk a list of Members in 
  the order in which each shall act as Speaker pro tempore in the case 
  of a vacancy in the Office of Speaker. The Member acting as Speaker 
  pro tempore under this provision may exercise such authorities of the 
  Office of Speaker as may be necessary and appropriate pending the 
  election of a Speaker or Speaker pro tempore. A vacancy in the Office 
  may exist by reason of the physical inability of the Speaker to 
  discharge the duties of the Office.

I heard some fat guy on CNN earlier say it had to be a member.

1 minute ago, shakahorn said:

I heard some fat guy on CNN earlier say it had to be a member.

Yeah, idk who the fat guy is but I believe he is right.  It can't just be some rando.  

Now the GOP caucus could pick a rando, but the immediate SPT will be a member.

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

I just had a very funny thought. What if the pro tem is Gaetz? What if that's something he got out of McCarthy back in January for his support, keeping in mind that Gaetz didn't even end up voting for him? Would McCarthy have been that stupid/desperate? 

eta: damnit, well there goes the funniest possible scenario.

Edited by wildcat09
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, kevwun said:

McCarthy proved pretty thoroughly that you can't work with the Magats because they refuse to compromise on anything and aren't serious about governing.  The Republicans can try it again, but it will end the same way.

Trouble is he fucking lies to everybody about everything it sounds. You can't trust him with anything he says.

Wow, whoever it was that banged the gavel did it VERY aggressively.

14de78f2-a9e2-4fa8-9d9f-68e412a6393b_tex

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

who in their right mind would try and step up and lead this group of republicans? 

is the most likely outcome here that the dems + a handful of moderate republicans pick the next speaker?

Lol, aint no republican gonna ever try and meet dems anywhere in the middle. It'd be career suicide. Let it stay open. Don't do shit. Shut it all down. Fuck you kevin and fuck you maga. 

12 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

McHenry is ideological enough to satisfy the caucus and has the strongest tactical skills of the current leadership team (including the credibility to work with Jeffries), but he won't get the job. 

Well here's his chance! 

Soooooooooooo... McCarthy's Speaker tenure

• Caved to Biden and the Senate to raise the debt ceiling past November 2024 elections
  • Caved to Biden and the Senate to prevent a shutdown
  • First Speaker to be voted out of his position
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, Js1 said:

Soooooooooooo... McCarthy's Speaker tenure

• Caved to Biden and the Senate to raise the debt ceiling past November 2024 elections
  • Caved to Biden and the Senate to prevent a shutdown
  • First Speaker to be voted out of his position

Impressive list of accomplishments in less than one year.

1 minute ago, Michael Knight said:

Mr Show These Are The Party Days GIF by Jason Clarke

You Tain't lying man.  Wanna make some long distance phone calls?  

How fucking chaotic is D.C. gonna be tonight.  If you're in the sex worker or drug trade anywhere in the MD-DC-NoVa area, I'd get to getting.  Everybody's gonna be looking to scrub the inside of their brains and anuses this eve.  

4 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

who in their right mind would try and step up and lead this group of republicans? 

is the most likely outcome here that the dems + a handful of moderate republicans pick the next speaker?

That would be the sane and rational path.  So.....

2 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Lol, aint no republican gonna ever try and meet dems anywhere in the middle. It'd be career suicide. Let it stay open. Don't do shit. Shut it all down. Fuck you kevin and fuck you maga. 

....this.

Option 1: the cowards in the remaining GQP cave to the MAGA bunch and install Donald Trump as speaker.

Option 2: moderate GQPers and Dems combine to pick a speaker.

The difference between those is that Option 1 actually has a decent chance of happening.  Option 2 will happen immediately after my three way with Sela Ward and Susanna Hoffs, while I'm waving around a note of approval from my wife.  Also, the three way happens on Mars. Outdoors.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1