the 2023 speaker of the house voting thread of implosion

henrygandorf

I can’t see any scenario where Gaetz doesn’t get booted from Congress. The moderates have to weaken that group and the ethic investigation gives them cover to do it, unless the wizard of oz behind the curtain won’t allow the Pubs to do it. But I have a hard time believing the true decision makers behind the curtain are aligned either. 

• Hook 'Em 3

44 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

1.) This is mildly terrifiyng.

2.) Listen, Salt & Vinegar chips are my jam. So are Salt & Vinegar almonds. Pretty much anything. But the idea of some kind of salt & vinegar...sauce? I mean, fuck and no. That is revolting, espesically if it has a cream consistenty. But even just dipping something into a cup of plain vinegar? No thanks. 

Have you never seen the whole skit? 

• Haha 2

So from my reading, McHenry has all of the powers of the Speaker in this capacity.  And he can continue to serve in this capacity until a new Speaker is chosen.  Or they can just...not.  And he''d stay in that role, but I guess not in the presidential line of succession because he wasn't "elected" by the House. 

2 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

He's Bow Tie Boy in action earlier this year:

Nobody ever explained why that Congressman in the salmon colored tie and bad toupee had to be dragged away from Gaetz by his face.  Come to think of it, I don't even know his name.  9 months of this theater and not a fucking ounce of dignity has been restored.  Plus tomorrow all of our 5G injections are be 'esploded...

Just now, A-Tex Devil said:

Hmmmmm..... isn't the smart play by GOP to not have another vote and just move on with business as usual with McHenry up there?  I am trying to understand incentive to bother with another vote.

Putin wants chaos, his handpuppets won't allow them to just move on, plus I imagine some rule requires a vote to make him full time speaker, but I have no idea, since this has never happened in american history, lol. 

Just now, A-Tex Devil said:

Hmmmmm..... isn't the smart play by GOP to not have another vote and just move on with business as usual with McHenry up there?  I am trying to understand incentive to bother with another vote.

That's what I keep wondering. Why go through the humiliation of trying to elect another neutered leader?

1 minute ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

That's what I keep wondering. Why go through the humiliation of trying to elect another neutered leader?

Because the Rules haven’t changed. Gaetz or someone can just file another MTV to weaken him or do this all over again 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

McHenry can only do 3 things as speaker pro tempore:

1. recess the House
  2. adjourn the chamber
  3. recognize speaker nominations

They can't do shit without a speaker...which I guess is business as usual for this group.

Edited by Captain Obvious

1 minute ago, 'stache said:

She was in California for Feinsteins funeral I think. I bet she had intel that it would pass without her, otherwise she'd probably vote if needed. 

She accompanied the body back. The viewing is tomorrow. Of course she was in California. She couldn’t know there would be a MTV 2 days before the funeral. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Captain Obvious said:

McHenry can only do 3 things as speaker pro tempore:

recess the House

adjourn the chamber

recognize speaker nominations

They can't do shit without a speaker...which I guess is business as usual for this group.

Sounds like a good way to ride out this session.

5 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

Yes, but do you think the nutbags are going to be OK with McCarthy's hand-picked buddy running things?

Just now, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

where are you reading that?

"Republican Rep. Patrick McHenry of North Carolina will now temporarily lead the House of Representatives after the speaker's position was vacated on Tuesday.

McHenry, who is a top ally of Kevin McCarthy, was appointed speaker pro tempore.

His name was on a list McCarthy was required to give to the clerk in case of a vacancy. 

The speaker pro tempore, which is the official title, can only recess the House, adjourn the chamber and recognize speaker nominations."

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/matt-gaetz-kevin-mccarthy-house-speakership-10-03-23/index.html 

• Hook 'Em 5

There's 15 months left in this Congress (albeit with some recesses).  They need a full-time speaker.  The Pro Tem was never designed to carry out committee assignments, oversee budget committee work with the Senate, serve as Head of Government to POTUS' Head of State role.  

This shitshow is just getting started.  This was the opening salvo in the Civil War we were all told was coming.  Only it isn't Red State v. Blue State.  They're going to kill each other.  

Anybody remember last week when the biggest affront to out Seat of Government, the U.S. Capitol, was Fetterman wearing a sweatshirt?  This week, the second most powerful person in our government was removed from power by a group of people who's backup plan is "Meh, we'll let JFK, Junior sort it out over crystal meth and tarot cards."  

1 minute ago, Jatrain said:

Pubs got their talking points, hearing a lot of “National Debt” and “Border Crisis”.  

Chickenshit interviewers not mentioning them voting for Trump tax cuts that added a ton to the debt. 

Hunter Biden has to be in there somewhere. 

Putins orders are to prevent the house from taking any action, specifically supporting Ukraine, so Gaetz and friends will get rich as fuck if they can delay this for long enough to shut the government down. He's a traitor, it's that simple, but fuck its fun the assholes who enabled this nonsense complaining that their party just can't seem to work together. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Captain Obvious said:

"Republican Rep. Patrick McHenry of North Carolina will now temporarily lead the House of Representatives after the speaker's position was vacated on Tuesday.

McHenry, who is a top ally of Kevin McCarthy, was appointed speaker pro tempore.

His name was on a list McCarthy was required to give to the clerk in case of a vacancy. 

The speaker pro tempore, which is the official title, can only recess the House, adjourn the chamber and recognize speaker nominations."

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/matt-gaetz-kevin-mccarthy-house-speakership-10-03-23/index.html 

it sounds like there isn't really a consensus on what the acting Speaker can and can't do. 

"The Speaker pro tem could stay in the chair," Josh Huder, a senior fellow at the Government Affairs Institute at Georgetown University, wrote on X, formerly known as Twitter. "There's not [a] forcing mechanism for a new election, nor are there any overt restrictions on the power the pro tem would wield. The support of the conference would dictate the durability of this."

It's designed to be short-term, until someone is elected. But how long that is is up to interpretation. 

5 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

This needs to become an official measurement of time. 

Scaramucci

A Scaramucci (or Mooch) is 11 (sometimes 10) days and is named after the length of White House Communications Director Anthony Scaramucci's tenure under President Trump.[48][49][50][51]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_humorous_units_of_measurement

See also a Friedman

Friedman

Main article: Friedman (unit)

The Friedman is approximately six months, specifically six months in the future, and named after columnist Thomas Friedman who repeatedly used the span in reference to when a determination of Iraq's future could be surmised.[35][36][37][38][39][40][41]

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

Username does NOT check out.

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

it sounds like there isn't really a consensus on what the acting Speaker can and can't do. 

It's designed to be short-term, until someone is elected. But how long that is is up to interpretation. 

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Awesome.  Give the two sides something else to fight about.  CSPAN ratings going through the roof in the short-term.